Thai Licence Good For U.k. ?

choppertony

When my wife came to U.K. she held a Thai car driving licence , but could,nt use this here , However she aquired a thai international drivers licence which she could use for one year untill she passed her test here in U.K. She now holds a full U.K. licence here having passed her test at 1st attempt .

I,m thinking of buying my wife a Honda shadow cruiser , so we can ride together , Me on my Triumpth

and missus following on the Honda .

The wife holds a Thai motorcycle licence, but again no good here , Can she go the same route again ? get a Thai International licence again to use for one year ? She can ride a 125cc engined bike here but need to pass test to drive bigger , She,s is an excellent rider we always hire a couple of cruisers when in Phuket .

Cheers :)

Local Thai drivers license or driver permits are useless in most countries, if you hold a Thai drivers license for 6 months (can be 1 year) you can apply for a international Thai drivers license which is legal in almost all countries in the world.

Local Thai drivers license or driver permits are useless in most countries, if you hold a Thai drivers license for 6 months (can be 1 year) you can apply for a international Thai drivers license which is legal in almost all countries in the world.

Thanks for that , I was,nt sure if you could get international licence for motorcycle , we back over in April for month , will get the licence then , Last time she got her internationl licence for car we had it sent over :) , So no probs there .

Cheers ,

Tony :D .

You can ride on a valid Thai licence for up to a year from your arrival in UK. You don't need an international permit. I returned last year and bought and rode a bike on my Thai bike licence for a couple of months while I jumped through the hoops obtaining a UK bike licence, cbt, theory and parts 1 & 2. I did get a couple of odd glances when I arrived at the test centre on a 600cc machine and then stuck L plates on it for the test. Anyway, getting UK insurance on a foreign licence can be tricky but it's available and not too expensive if you shop around.

You can ride on a valid Thai licence for up to a year from your arrival in UK. You don't need an international permit. I returned last year and bought and rode a bike on my Thai bike licence for a couple of months while I jumped through the hoops obtaining a UK bike licence, cbt, theory and parts 1 & 2. I did get a couple of odd glances when I arrived at the test centre on a 600cc machine and then stuck L plates on it for the test. Anyway, getting UK insurance on a foreign licence can be tricky but it's available and not too expensive if you shop around.

Thats great news , Ive a chance of this Honda Shadow for the wife , We used Tesco,s insurance ( the food supermarkets ) for my wife whilst she drove on her international car licence and they were by far the cheapest , She does intend to go through the whole testing process to gain her U.K. licence here , But its good to know she is ok to ride now .

Cheers . :)