Honda Thailand Will Stop Selling Carburettor Bike Next Month

Richard-BKK

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honda will stop selling the following models Sonic 125, CBR150R, Phantom TA200, Dream and all Wave's without fuel-injection.

On the press meeting yesterday, Honda did not said one word about the Honda VTR250, I could only get them to say that after next month (March) the Thai motorcycle market will look different. What does that mean... who knows?

I also meet a representative from Honda India, and this gentlemen confirmed me that Honda India will have (in India) an answer for the Kawasaki Ninja 250R in the showrooms within 6 months. My question is it a 2-cylinder, “yes” is it a V-twin “yes”, is it the VTR250 “smiled.. but no answer”.

Also for people who have a Honda motorcycle without fuel-injection and somehow lost the registering of the bike (for-example by not paying road-tax for 3-years). You have until the end of March to registering the bike. Changing ownership of registered motorcycles to new owners is not effected.

Wasnt you the same person touting the new Honda scoot as being a hybrid but when questioned on it you went quiet ??

They made NSR150's in the 1990's and stopped making them 8 years ago. If they're selling them for over 20K now, they'll be selling 2008 CBR150's for 20K in 2016.

A few posts ago you said they'd be worth MORE if Honda stopped producing them.

Now you say they will be going for 20k? What are they going for now?

I'm often mistaken. :) The two quotations are not the same time frames. They're both wild guesses about unknown futures. With those guesses and $7, you can buy a Big Mac Combo.

The Honda CBR150 predecessor, the NSR150, remained a very popular motorcycle for years. Even today, you can find people who would love to have one, the main reasons for this is pure power. The 150cc 2-stroke engine powering the Honda NSR150 is roughly twice as powerful as an highly-tuned 150cc 4-stroke CBR150 engine. Even a Kawasaki Ninja 250R would have problems keeping up with a Honda NSR150.

The Honda CBR150R will not have this advantage over it's replacement motorcycle, the replacement will likely be powered by a 223cc engine and be equipped with the latest on fuel-injection and other technologies. Comparing the 10-year old CBR150 to its replacement would be comparing a WWII propeller aircraft with a modern jet-fighter on technology level.

On the other hand, some people suggest that Honda is going to introduce the Honda CBR125Ri in Thailand, the 2010 125cc Honda CBR, with its latest fuel-injection, is nearly as powerful as the older CBR150 while being much more efficient with fuel.

Introducing the CBR125Ri on the Thai market makes sense, it will reduce production cost, it will motivate 3th party developers to introduce performance-kits for the CBR125Ri. Thailand is the perfect candidate for this, Thais will surely develop race-kits, replacement ECU's, sporty camshafts, etc... Which will make the Honda CBR125Ri more popular in other countries around the world. Teenagers, worldwide, love to buy bikes for which lots of sporty-replacement-parts are available.

Introducing the CBR125Ri on the Thai market makes sense, it will reduce production cost, it will motivate 3th party developers to introduce performance-kits for the CBR125Ri. Thailand is the perfect candidate for this, Thais will surely develop race-kits, replacement ECU's, sporty camshafts, etc... Which will make the Honda CBR125Ri more popular in other countries around the world. Teenagers, worldwide, love to buy bikes for which lots of sporty-replacement-parts are available.

It's this just a rebadged Sonic RS?

Maybe I;m wrong; it's only a guess.

What you will probably find is that they won't be worth more, but perhaps may hold a price slightly better than before, but it depends on availability, ie: old hack like you will remember the rules of supply and demand.

I have found in recent years that good examples of the Suzuki Raider are becoming rare and therefore examples of such are holding ground.

Automobiles are nearly always a depreciating asset. :)

What you will probably find is that they won't be worth more, but perhaps may hold a price slightly better than before, but it depends on availability, ie: old hack like you will remember the rules of supply and demand.

I have found in recent years that good examples of the Suzuki Raider are becoming rare and therefore examples of such are holding ground.

Automobiles are nearly always a depreciating asset. :)

I didn't mean a used CBR150 will increase. It will decrease, but not drastically.

Automobiles are nearly always a depreciating asset. :D

I didn't mean a used CBR150 will increase. It will decrease, but not drastically.

PB and anyone else interetsed in this. I got a friend to post the FI question on the official Honda CBR website (in Thai) a week or so ago and someone there claimed a FI model will be out in 4 months. Don't know if there is any truth in it or not, I don't want to get anyone's hopes up.

I've been hanging on to no avail. I guess the crux of this now is whether to buy one of the last carb fed brand spankers or hold on for the 223 cc or whatever it is, hoping they undercut the Ninja 250R by a fair amount?

Hmmmm toughy. I won't pay 147,500 for one when the CBR is just 65,000b or so. But if it was 105,000 ish then I'd hang on!! :)

Edited by makavelithedon

If you put longer duration cams on the CBR its a whole different bike. My bike also has a higher displacement, but i think the gain is about the same as installing an aftermarket CDI and bigger carb.

Im going to start over with another CBR 150 and try a different route of modifications. Leave the displacement the same and modify everything else. Going to try a 32mm mikuni flatslide TM series carb, and work on the intake/exhaust valve tracts more this time. Im going to try splitting the intake tract into 2 channels and lengthening the tract this time, should be much more linear, flow better and provide a better vacuum for air/fuel intake.

Dont get me wrong, the current modifications are kickass, but there's always more than one way to skin a cat. This CBR chews up NSR's an spits them out...trust me, iv had quite a few 2 strokes :)

What <deleted>, exactly what 2 strokes have you had that was chewed up by your CBR, if it was an NSR 50 then yes, your crappy CBR would probably be quicker (marginally). If it really is the case that equivalent size 2 stroke and four stroke engines have around the same power (as you seem to be suggesting) then why did they pit 250 2 smokes against 500 4 strokes in moto GP, why didn't they just contact you to get their 4 strokes running as quick as the 2's, prick.

Who's a prick? and for what?

the CBR 150 has 14 hp x 13nm of torque =182 total power

the NSR 150 has 37 hp x 2nm of torque = 74 total power

if you had a tug of war between the 2 bikes the CBR would drag it backwards.

Since the NSR is a faster reving bike it would beat the stock CBR - Thats why you use the CBR's torque to its advantage and modify accordingly since it will never rev as fast as a 2 stroke.

You feeeling me?

and to answer your question about the motoGP, ever see them start? they usually crawl until the revs build up. Modify a 2 stroke and its like the bike is smoking crack rock.

If you put longer duration cams on the CBR its a whole different bike. My bike also has a higher displacement, but i think the gain is about the same as installing an aftermarket CDI and bigger carb.

Im going to start over with another CBR 150 and try a different route of modifications. Leave the displacement the same and modify everything else. Going to try a 32mm mikuni flatslide TM series carb, and work on the intake/exhaust valve tracts more this time. Im going to try splitting the intake tract into 2 channels and lengthening the tract this time, should be much more linear, flow better and provide a better vacuum for air/fuel intake.

Dont get me wrong, the current modifications are kickass, but there's always more than one way to skin a cat. This CBR chews up NSR's an spits them out...trust me, iv had quite a few 2 strokes :)

What <deleted>, exactly what 2 strokes have you had that was chewed up by your CBR, if it was an NSR 50 then yes, your crappy CBR would probably be quicker (marginally). If it really is the case that equivalent size 2 stroke and four stroke engines have around the same power (as you seem to be suggesting) then why did they pit 250 2 smokes against 500 4 strokes in moto GP, why didn't they just contact you to get their 4 strokes running as quick as the 2's, prick.

Since the NSR is a faster reving bike it would beat the stock CBR - Thats why you use the CBR's torque to its advantage and modify accordingly since it will never rev as fast as a 2 stroke.

You feeeling me?

and to answer your question about the motoGP, ever see them start? they usually crawl until the revs build up. Modify a 2 stroke and its like the bike is smoking crack rock.

Meet me with your CBR and we'll see if my NSR can 'keep up' - from a standing start, even!

Your calculation of total power is meaningless, just words.

Mototgp bikes crawl off the start ? Have you ever ridden one? Do you ride on the track here?

And you want us to trust you...sure!

Another thread that degraded into a pissing contest!

You feeeling me?

Meet me with your CBR and we'll see if my NSR can 'keep up' - from a standing start, even!

Mototgp bikes crawl off the start ? Have you ever ridden one? Do you ride on the track here?

Dont worry.. Previous gems include modified nuovo beating a litre bike in acceleration.. Etc..

You feeeling me?

Just answer one question - is your CBR stock?

Ive had eight 2 strokes just in Thailand, believe me I know.

But whatever, I love to hear input from people without any direct experience its always amusing.

Just answer one question - is your CBR stock?

Ive had eight 2 strokes just in Thailand, believe me I know.

But whatever, I love to hear input from people without any direct experience its always amusing.

I have an NSR.

You said "CBR would drag NSR backwards".

If you want to go for a ride I'll disprove your "theories" about CBR vs NSR.

Hey - Bring your green book, I'll race you for bikes. You will lose.

How would you know what my experience is without asking?

PM me if you want to race me and lose your bike.

I'm done with this thread. Waste of time.

Cheers and take care.