Honda Thailand Will Stop Selling Carburettor Bike Next Month

Richard-BKK

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its about time motorbikes were dis-encouraged in Thailand. Look at the death toll for these stupid things!

Few civilized countries actively encourgae their use or mis-use as is the case here with kids riding upcountry without helmets on. They should be limted to high end machines for educated and trained people only.

Flame me as you wish, but if you have not been at the immediate scene of a fatal motorbike accident here then keep you opinion to yourself please. Suffice to say I have experienced trying to save lives on the road, and I detest the motorbike culture here.

"Look at the death toll for these stupid things!"

Having seen accidents involving motorbikes, and having been one, I have no doubt that there are deaths as well. Where, please, can I find the figures? Are comparisons to other SE Asian nations available too?

Thanks in advance,

Its about time motorbikes were dis-encouraged in Thailand. Look at the death toll for these stupid things!

Few civilized countries actively encourgae their use or mis-use as is the case here with kids riding upcountry without helmets on. They should be limted to high end machines for educated and trained people only.

Flame me as you wish, but if you have not been at the immediate scene of a fatal motorbike accident here then keep you opinion to yourself please. Suffice to say I have experienced trying to save lives on the road, and I detest the motorbike culture here.

Sorry I gotta flame you 123ace since you haven't looked at the big picture.

Look at slide 5 and 6 of this powerpoint study.

www.cleanairnet.org/baq2006/1757/docs/SP6_4.ppt

It says in 2005 there were 15.5 million bikes registered in Thailand and only 10 million other vehicles.

In Bangkok it was close to even at 2.5 million each.

If bikes were banned, how would that 50-75% of bike riders get around and keep Thailand running?

The country can't afford enough public transport to support these people.

So if everyone had a car, traffic would double or worse and the economy would slow down.

You can cram 4-6 bikes in the space of one car, but often they ride in spaces cars don't use anyways, between lanes.

More cars mean less parking, more traffic, more pollution, more road maintenance, more gas consumption, and likely increased inflation.

So I wouldn't mind eliminating more cars instead of bikes.

Worldwide there are less people talking on cell phones, doing their makeup, eating, shaving, reading, smoking, and drinking while on a bike.

I say worldwide because I do see these distractions on bikes here.

I know I can dodge a bike a lot easier than dodging a car and a careless biker will do less damage than a careless car driver.

Sure no one likes to see dead people and accidents, but if we reduced the world population we would reduce pollution, starvation, homelessness, unemployment, and whatever you feel like complaining about.

Whether they know it or not, bikers are less taxing to an economy than car drivers.

You should applaud bikers as future martyrs.

It's a free country, I say let people decide how they want to check out.

I will also have to disagree with you. After agreeing with just about everything tkata has said, I'd like to put in a Skytrain or similar means of public transport in Pattaya. This would just about take the baht taxis out of business along with many motorbike taxi drivers. You did mention bikes as being the cause of so many deaths. Well, let's get at the real root of the problem. First off there are far too many baht taxis weaving around at the whim of their drivers many of whom are crocked to the gills going from one lane to the other causing untold traffic congestion, not to mention accidents. Also....since there are so many cases of the drivers of both types of taxis aided and abetted by gangs of cowardly joiners coming out of the wood work beating up tourists, Thailand would benefit enormously by their being taken off the streets. Getting at the root of the problem the police are not doing their job. When is the last time you saw a policeman stopping anyone for running a red light, driving recklessly, driving against the flow of traffic, etc? I will say NEVER. If the police enforced the existing traffic laws a lot of deaths would be averted and such cities as Pattaya would be better much safer places.

Incidentally, I really feel sorry for most car drivers here in Pattaya. They are leviathons in traffic slowly blundering about like bloated whales. Parking spaces are for the most part non-existant so what so many car drivers do is they will pull up in the middle of a traffic lane, get out of their vehicle and do their business. Wherever there is any traffic to speak of I can beat most cars with my bicycle.

In fact if I were dictator I think I might just banish cars from such cities as Pattaya. Truth is most people don't need them, especially if the police actually did their jobs which would drastically decrease the number of accidents and deaths. Most people have them for status symbols. Granted.......some people need cars and pickup trucks for doing business while others need them to take their golf clubs to the golf course. But I think if I were dictator, I'd have some form of use tax on all cars in Pattaya and similar cities to discourage the use of "status symbols" to impress one's peer group and clog up the traffic lanes.

as i recall 35 million people travel between provinces on a motorbike. dayly.

I suggest you contribute to a transport solution for these people to travel to school, work or whatever, before wanting to ban their mobility.

Here in Phuket there are tuk tuks available at 400 baht (2 days salary) between Kata-Karon and Patong, but no buses or any other public transportation. Would you suggest everyone to go by private car?

Countryside there is no transportation available whatsover. only motorbikes. pickups are being used for agriculture.

Please let thai people keep their bikes. I love the thai motorbike culture.

Ace,

Lived here for years, rode a bike here as long and see accidents day in day out. Know what your getting at although I think you could have worded it a little better.

I come from a country that is either top of the developed world for road safety or near it (haven;t checked for a few years) and I'd take the roads in Thailand (as they are) over my own any day. I got sick to the back teeth of big brother and any excuse to infringe a normal man's freedoms in the name of 'road safety' and clandestine taxation.

It got to the stage where either in a car or on a bike you felt totally oppressed and a criminal for doing 2 kph or mph over the limit and being someone who had committed a crime second to child murder.

You can keep it along with the self righteous do gooders who think they should tell everyone else what is best. That does not mean I am labelling you as one!

I'll take my chances and drive defensively here. At least I feel a dam_n sight freer and can breath when I step outside the front door.

If you prefer the other route, good luck to you.

Edited by lonexpat

In my post I'm refering to such outrageous violations as driving the wrong way down a one way street, deliberating running red lights and so on. I'd say we have two extremes here. There's Thailand where anything goes on the road and then there's countries such as the U.S. And although people will make up all the excuses they want the U.S. where I come from is a police state and getting worse all the time. Two nights ago I talked to a young man who's farming many of our farms for us. He's told me that in 2009 alone he's gotten tickets at $50.00 each for 17 non moving violations. And all from the Illinois State police. Typically for not wearing a seat belt. Possibly not having his driver's license on him and so on. One must keep in mind that Jason is oftentimes getting off a tractor. He's running ragged getting hardly any sleep and his mind is constantly racing on how he can keep moving because he's sometimes not getting any sleep for three days straight. And he's getting all these tickets on the country roads that are maintained by the county..not the state of Illinois. So the state police is going out a hunting, preying on its tax paying citizens in areas I personally consider to be outside its jurisdiction. Jason's also told me they are trying hard to lower the DWI limit to .05 % alchohol. That can be as little as a single bottle of beer. And since I need to go to the U.S. for a week or two in July and plan on taking a few personal items from Illinois to my nephew's new house in Arizona I've been wanting to take my Thai girlfriend with me. She would be in a rental car crossing the Colorado Rockies and then down into some very scenic areas in Utah and finally into Arizona. This would be an outstanding opportunity for her to see some of the best scenery in the U.S. including the Grand Canyon. But I'm finding out her chances of getting a tourist visa will be very slim and I"d have to cough up $131.00 just for her interview iwth the AMerican Embassy in Bangkok. We've had noproblems getting visas for Vietnam and everyone knows Vietnam is in Commieland. The U.S. is NOT a free country

I went O.o at the street riding video posted on the other thread, talk about being an inch from death every second of the way!

But you know it's a dam_n sight better than being taxed to death here in sunny Singapore. A culture driven to obey rules is no culture worth keeping :)

Ace,

Lived here for years, rode a bike here as long and see accidents day in day out. Know what your getting at although I think you could have worded it a little better.

I come from a country that is either top of the developed world for road safety or near it (haven;t checked for a few years) and I'd take the roads in Thailand (as they are) over my own any day. I got sick to the back teeth of big brother and any excuse to infringe a normal man's freedoms in the name of 'road safety' and clandestine taxation.

It got to the stage where either in a car or on a bike you felt totally oppressed and a criminal for doing 2 kph or mph over the limit and being someone who had committed a crime second to child murder.

You can keep it along with the self righteous do gooders who think they should tell everyone else what is best. That does not mean I am labelling you as one!

I'll take my chances and drive defensively here. At least I feel a dam_n sight freer and can breath when I step outside the front door.

If you prefer the other route, good luck to you.

:):D :D

Actually, very rarely does a motorcycle kill someone. Occassionally there is a mechanical failure, but they would be right down on the scale of causes for motor cycle collisions. Its the idiots riding the motorcycles that are responsible for this (not to mention the car drivers that kill motorcyclists). Forget blaming the machinary, its the people that need to be trained, educated and monitored. If you take alot of those idiots off their motorcycles and put them in cars, nothing changes, with the exception they are now driving nearly two tonnes of weaponary verses the original hundred or so kilograms. :)

The Australian MRRDA (Motorcycle Road Race Development Association), which organizes the Juniors – 4 stroke races, received from Honda Motorcycle the information that the 150cc Honda CBR150R will no longer be available, and a replacement with the same engine size and performance characteristics is not on the agenda anytime soon.

The Indian build Yamaha R15 is now eligible to race in the Junior 4-stroke, 13 to 15 year old, class that was previously restricted to the Thai build Honda CBR150R. The Junior 4-stroke was previously a fully supported Honda event.

With Yamaha taking over the 150cc MRRDA Junior class in Australia we can assume that Honda has no plans for introducing a fuel-injection CBR150

With Yamaha taking over the 150cc MRRDA Junior class in Australia we can assume that Honda has no plans for introducing a fuel-injection CBR150

Despite the fact that a fuel injected CBR125, already exists in other countries?