Honda Thailand Will Stop Selling Carburettor Bike Next Month

Richard-BKK

The Honda President, Mr. Zenjiro Sakurai, said that in a interview with the BangkokPost.

"AP Honda also said that next month all of its bikes would have fuel injection to comply with Euro3 emission standards, and it would no longer produce motorcycles with carburetors."

Edited by PeaceBlondie
Bangkok Post citations not allowed. PB

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honda will stop selling the following models Sonic 125, CBR150R, Phantom TA200, Dream and all Wave's without fuel-injection.

On the press meeting yesterday, Honda did not said one word about the Honda VTR250, I could only get them to say that after next month (March) the Thai motorcycle market will look different. What does that mean... who knows?

I also meet a representative from Honda India, and this gentlemen confirmed me that Honda India will have (in India) an answer for the Kawasaki Ninja 250R in the showrooms within 6 months. My question is it a 2-cylinder, “yes” is it a V-twin “yes”, is it the VTR250 “smiled.. but no answer”.

Also for people who have a Honda motorcycle without fuel-injection and somehow lost the registering of the bike (for-example by not paying road-tax for 3-years). You have until the end of March to registering the bike. Changing ownership of registered motorcycles to new owners is not effected.

Honda will stop selling the following models Sonic 125, CBR150R, Phantom TA200, Dream and all Wave's without fuel-injection.

On the press meeting yesterday, Honda did not said one word about the Honda VTR250, I could only get them to say that after next month (March) the Thai motorcycle market will look different. What does that mean... who knows?

I also meet a representative from Honda India, and this gentlemen confirmed me that Honda India will have (in India) an answer for the Kawasaki Ninja 250R in the showrooms within 6 months. My question is it a 2-cylinder, “yes” is it a V-twin “yes”, is it the VTR250 “smiled.. but no answer”.

Also for people who have a Honda motorcycle without fuel-injection and somehow lost the registering of the bike (for-example by not paying road-tax for 3-years). You have until the end of March to registering the bike. Changing ownership of registered motorcycles to new owners is not effected.

Mmmm seems a vist to Honda M/Bike Stand at the Bkk Motor Show next month is a must!!

Given that parts and know-how will be available, the purchase of a second-hand, newer CRB150 might well be a wise decision.

That is, after the Motor Show, the CRB's second hand price should reflect that it has been taken from production by going down? :)

The main event yesterday was the introduction of the Honda Wave 110i AT, a full automatic with CV-Matic, all previous Wave's where always equipped with the famous semi-automatic 4-speed gearbox.

The Honda people at the meeting where surprised somebody asked about the CBR150 and did not answer any questions other then that the motorcycle will not be available at the end of March.

The main event yesterday was the introduction of the Honda Wave 110i AT, a full automatic with CV-Matic, all previous Wave's where always equipped with the famous semi-automatic 4-speed gearbox.

The Honda people at the meeting where surprised somebody asked about the CBR150 and did not answer any questions other then that the motorcycle will not be available at the end of March.

Hi Richard,

Do you have any idea on what the "Honda" lineup will look like for bikes ranging from 150CC and up. Do they intend to start attempting to reach the middle cc market say 150-650cc i.e Kawaski

:)

After reading RB's post, I googled the subject matter and found this:

Honda has developed a variant of the Honda Wave 110i equipped with a CV-Matic automatic transmission called the Wave 110i AT. Instead of the regular step-through transmission, you get a belt-based CVT so you don’t have to shift through the gears yourself. The normal Wave 110i with PGM-FI costs upwards of 34,000 Thai Baht, but for the Wave 110i AT with the CV-Matic you have to top up and pay a starting upwards of 44,900 Thai Baht.

How many other automatic scooters/motorcycles are cheaper? And do this scooters,or motorcycles, who are maybe cheaper have fuel-injection and something like the latest in automatic transmission?

Comparing the CV-Matic to a regular CVT system is a bit comparing wooden-wheels with a state-of-the-art light-metal-alloy wheels...

After reading RB's post, I googled the subject matter and found this:

Honda has developed a variant of the Honda Wave 110i equipped with a CV-Matic automatic transmission called the Wave 110i AT. Instead of the regular step-through transmission, you get a belt-based CVT so you don't have to shift through the gears yourself. The normal Wave 110i with PGM-FI costs upwards of 34,000 Thai Baht, but for the Wave 110i AT with the CV-Matic you have to top up and pay a starting upwards of 44,900 Thai Baht.

apples and oranges

I assume the cvt bike comes with electric start and front disc brake at a premium of 10.900 baht. so cvt is like 5k baht.

"Comparing the CV-Matic to a regular CVT system is a bit comparing wooden-wheels with a state-of-the-art light-metal-alloy wheels..."

Richard -

You've had so many questions coming in that I wondered if this (above) is in the correct order. The way I understand it now, it indicates that the CV-Matic is the wooden wheel.

Sorry for my mis-formulated comparison, I hope you did not believed that the latest CV-Matic which is protected by more than 12-patents was compared to a wooden wheel...

Anyway the CV-Matic discussion is a bit off-topic to the discussion of Honda stop selling carburettor motorcycles...

@Peaceblondie, nothing is holding you back to buy some last stock Honda CBR150R's and get rich after the CBR150 is pulled of the market.

Personally I will not recommend it as a solid investment... but then even I can be wrong...

I was looking at one of these today. I'm debating between the Wave 125i (can't get for a month), Yamaha Spark RX 135i, and the CBR 150.

My debate centers around navigating around Phuket Town on the CBR relative to the Wave. I prefer a real bike (clutch & ride position) for riding in the States but riding here feels different.

Any comments?

NSR 150's are actually going for 17k-28k baht at used dealers now. The CBR 150 will retain its value for the next 5 years easily. A stock bike will remain bulletproof. Modified bikes that are modified correctly will also remain bulletproof as long as the shims are correct along with the timing chain tensioner.

NSR 150's are actually going for 17k-28k baht at used dealers now. The CBR 150 will retain its value for the next 5 years easily. A stock bike will remain bulletproof. Modified bikes that are modified correctly will also remain bulletproof as long as the shims are correct along with the timing chain tensioner.

I've seen them advertised for that as well. I've also seen rough VFR400's advertised at 120k. Whether they are "going" for that is another issue. I've seen them for a lot less and there's no guarantee either way. If I was looking then I'd buy a cheapie (I've seen them as low as 8k) and spend 5k fixing it up properly before I spent anything approaching 30k on a bike that Somchai might have botched and re-sprayed.

Even if they are selling at those prices, that implies that CBR150's are looking at dropping to the same price range. Thai's aren't really big on the whole nostalgia thing. The 2 strokes have an advantage that they perform well for such a small engine and they're an absolute blast to ride. The CBR's, not so much.

If you put longer duration cams on the CBR its a whole different bike. My bike also has a higher displacement, but i think the gain is about the same as installing an aftermarket CDI and bigger carb.

Im going to start over with another CBR 150 and try a different route of modifications. Leave the displacement the same and modify everything else. Going to try a 32mm mikuni flatslide TM series carb, and work on the intake/exhaust valve tracts more this time. Im going to try splitting the intake tract into 2 channels and lengthening the tract this time, should be much more linear, flow better and provide a better vacuum for air/fuel intake.

Dont get me wrong, the current modifications are kickass, but there's always more than one way to skin a cat. This CBR chews up NSR's an spits them out...trust me, iv had quite a few 2 strokes :)

I'm struggling to see the logic in Honda offering a Wave 110 with auto trans, surely it's competing against their Click model. The wave will still also be available with semi-auto trans?

If you put longer duration cams on the CBR its a whole different bike. My bike also has a higher displacement, but i think the gain is about the same as installing an aftermarket CDI and bigger carb.

Im going to start over with another CBR 150 and try a different route of modifications. Leave the displacement the same and modify everything else. Going to try a 32mm mikuni flatslide TM series carb, and work on the intake/exhaust valve tracts more this time. Im going to try splitting the intake tract into 2 channels and lengthening the tract this time, should be much more linear, flow better and provide a better vacuum for air/fuel intake.

Dont get me wrong, the current modifications are kickass, but there's always more than one way to skin a cat. This CBR chews up NSR's an spits them out...trust me, iv had quite a few 2 strokes :)

What <deleted>, exactly what 2 strokes have you had that was chewed up by your CBR, if it was an NSR 50 then yes, your crappy CBR would probably be quicker (marginally). If it really is the case that equivalent size 2 stroke and four stroke engines have around the same power (as you seem to be suggesting) then why did they pit 250 2 smokes against 500 4 strokes in moto GP, why didn't they just contact you to get their 4 strokes running as quick as the 2's, prick.

They made NSR150's in the 1990's and stopped making them 8 years ago. If they're selling them for over 20K now, they'll be selling 2008 CBR150's for 20K in 2016.

A few posts ago you said they'd be worth MORE if Honda stopped producing them.

Now you say they will be going for 20k? What are they going for now?