"Bangkok Clear" To Combat Drugs In Capital City

webfact

"Bangkok Clear" to combat drugs in capital city

BANGKOK: -- (NNT) - The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) organizes the “Bangkok Clear” event in an effort to combat drug problems in Bangkok.

“Bangkok Clear” will rehabilitate 50,000 addicts by this year, from 10 districts and 587 communities city wide, according to Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra, who presided over the opening ceremony today.

The target places include areas like Khlong Toey, Din Daeng, Huay Kwang, Wangthonglang, Lak Si, and Ratchthewi. “Bangkok Clear” will also closely monitor other risk-prone areas to effectively suppress narcotics.

“Bangkok Clear” is a joint collaboration of several units including the Operation Center to Eliminate Drugs, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration as well as public and private sectors.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-02-19

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Rehabilitation for Bangkok drug abusers

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The authorities are planning to send at least 50,000 drug abusers in Bangkok to rehabilitation centres. It is believed that the capital is home to between 80,000 and 100,000 drug abusers.

"Most of them are migrant workers," Prasong Preeyajit said yesterday in his capacity as director of the Office of the Narcotics Control Board's Bangkok branch.

He said relevant authorities were planning to closely monitor drug movements in Klong Toei, Din Daeng, Bang Kho, Huai Khwang, Wang Thonglang, Lak Si, Bang Kho Laem, Ratchathewi, Bang Sue and Thon Buri districts.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-19

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The authorities are planning to send at least 50,000 drug abusers in Bangkok to rehabilitation centres. It is believed that the capital is home to between 80,000 and 100,000 drug abusers.

"Most of them are migrant workers," Prasong Preeyajit said yesterday in his capacity as director of the Office of the Narcotics Control Board's Bangkok branch.

He said relevant authorities were planning to closely monitor drug movements in Klong Toei, Din Daeng, Bang Kho, Huai Khwang, Wang Thonglang, Lak Si, Bang Kho Laem, Ratchathewi, Bang Sue and Thon Buri districts.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-19

How do they rehabilitate 50,000 addicts?

Most of them are migrant workers? And the City Council will spend money to rehabilitate them? I assume this is BS and the treatment will be to throw them back over the borders.

So the authorities are going to monitor drug movements? How about arresting those involved or is it a spectator sport?

I suggest that cordoning off Suk Sois 1,3 and 5 and checking-up on passports, visas, financial resources and and their source might pay dividends. So would in depth investigations of not a few cops.

Thaksin-ner "rehabbed" a few last time around, if you call having your grey matter spread around like vegemite on toast.

Having your skull beat in is probably not the preferred way of most addicts. What are the alternatives? Jail? Right. More drugs and now you have the inculcation of the local felons to "reform" you. No easy way out here, folks. I know, Ive been there. Drugs, that is, NOT jail.

Seriously though, this is a monumental undertaking and one that will not happen, at least not as planned.

Uhh small problem. There are not enough places at treatment facilities that offer a chance at cleaning someone up. I think they would be hard pressed to find 1000 places that meet even minimum standards.

What's up with "Most of them are migrant workers," Prasong Preeyajit said yesterday in his capacity as director of the Office of the Narcotics Control Board's Bangkok branch. If this guy thinks Thais do not represent a large component of Bangkok's junkies, maybe he should open his eyes and get out some more.

Uhh small problem. There are not enough places at treatment facilities that offer a chance at cleaning someone up. I think they would be hard pressed to find 1000 places that meet even minimum standards.

What's up with "Most of them are migrant workers," Prasong Preeyajit said yesterday in his capacity as director of the Office of the Narcotics Control Board's Bangkok branch. If this guy thinks Thais do not represent a large component of Bangkok's junkies, maybe he should open his eyes and get out some more.

I think its the typical Thai way of blaming others. You see it always in this country. I love it here but its a bit too nationalistic.

Normally when you live in someone else's country you're encouraged to embrace the culture and respect it. That's absolutely fine by me. But it just doesn't seem to work here. It's true that you have to keep yourself to yourself. (Really sad when you think about it) You're the outsider now act like the outsider.

When you get these stupid newspaper articles about 'migrants' doing drugs etc, it pisses me off. I've come across so many locals here that have let their guard down and admitted to doing drugs. I don't think any less of them. If you wanna chase the dragon, knock yourself out.

Anyone, Thai or otherwise is not perfect in this country. Amazing how the local media portray 'migrants'.

Edited by rkidlad

this will never work

never has,never will

drugs is a human need, a percentage of people will always want them and wil always be able to find them

maslow himself stated this

only a middle road option of correct drug usage and legalizing many of the so called harmful drugs will work

all that happens now is that people who need get sick by buying shit of dealers and the crime syndicates get rich

By The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-19

What kind of drugs are they using in Bangkok?

funny that Thailand is gone do what no country in the world ever could do.....what ahppend after the "great Thaksin" war on drugs? o yes right the drugs are still around in the same amount only the price went up and who did the most profit on this?Ya the high ranked drugdealers (cops)who make even more money and at the same time could kill at will all who walking in there way and that in a "legal way".

O fcourse drugs are bad but is Thailand really think what nobody ever did before them.

Isnt afganistan the number 1 heroin suplier of the world and growing year after year after the U.S and other forces invaded it?That same drugs that funding the war vs the coalition forces........UTOPIA.....

this will never work

never has,never will

drugs is a human need, a percentage of people will always want them and wil always be able to find them

maslow himself stated this

only a middle road option of correct drug usage and legalizing many of the so called harmful drugs will work

all that happens now is that people who need get sick by buying shit of dealers and the crime syndicates get rich

I agree 110%.

The farmers and the addicts don't profit much from the stuff...but all the guys in the middle have fat wallets.

And then, US taxpayers are obliged to support the 'war on drugs' to the tune of $100 Billion yearly. And that's all about widow-dressing and lip-service which is intended to promote the notion that something's being done about 'it'.

Pathetique!

And if the drugs are somehow legalized, consider the profit/loss columns of both criminals and unscrupulous politicians who bank on the fact that junkies don't complain even when they have a red tag tied to their toes in a morgue.