Selling Motorbike Registered In Farang Name

pattayaGaz

I want to sell my old Honda Wave and a couple of Thai neighbours are interested, I have a Work permit and a 1 year extension to my Non 'O' Visa, to sell it do I still need to obtain the letter from Immigration as I did when I brought the bike and will I need to sign any other paperwork or go to a bike dealer to transfer ownership and if so how much does the transfer cost.

In Chiang-Mai Nong hoy, IF YOU ARE THE SELLER, YOU DON'T NEED a residence certificate, they just ask a copy a the passport.

They tell me that as you are already the owner, a proof of adress as no sense because the book will be transfered to the adress of the buyer.

In the last 12 months, I sold two bikes in my name and one bike in a friend name just showing a signed copy of passport and the transfer document.

At Chiang-Mai Mae Hia office, it was more difficult for the transfer of a car. The attendant sitting middle of the public hall who is making a first check of the documents ask me to produce a certificate of residence. I tried to explain what I knew and when she lost patience, she send me to the chief who told me that the residence certificate was not needed because I was already the owner of the car.

In C-M, the immigration charge 500 baht for each certificate of residence and you have to spend more time in the queue than to go take some information nearby, preferably in thaï langage.

I've been just told in Bangkok that seller needs:

- copy of passport

- copy of non-immigrant visa

- residence certificate

So same doc's as buyer needs.

But then the tricky part, has anyone sold car or bike not being in Thailand personally? I have been told it could be possible by going to nearest Thai embassy and sign transfer documenta and power of attorney there and they certify the signatures.

Anyone tried before or actually managed to do it ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It seems to be different in each amphoe what papers are needed from the foreign seller.

How is it in Pattaya? Do the (foreign) seller need to show a residence certificate or not?

Edited by Acky

It may depend on who the buyer is as well. I have only sold bikes to the Honda dealer in my town, and as he's rich, well-connected, and has bikes registered for sale or purchase constantly at the local office, I suspect they aren't too picky with him. I only gave him my passport to copy, but I wonder if I sold my bike to a student or a farmer if he'd have much luck with just that.

On another note - I did recently sell an old bike to a Thai friend, but it had never been registered in my name. I just collected the green book from the previous owner, and drove it for a year unlicensed (rarely a problem here), and then passed it to him. Is there any reason he should expect a problem?