Lets Talk About Lousy Thai True Customer Service

KKvampire

It has to legendary here how poor customer service is here and how a customer just puts up with it,

I paid for a 24 hour wifi internet service at their shop in Paragon today. They accepted the money and gave me the login details. When I attempted to login the server would not connect , after about 30 minutes with some staff help and they looking at their router I was told there are problems and the router doesnot work so there's no wifi . It was suggested I went to centralworld and try to connect there. I duly went along the skywalk and tried with the same problem after an hour of attempting. I returned to the TRUE shop in Paragon and was told that they were sorry but nothing could be done, So they took my 100 bht and iI get nothing , when I asked for my money back I was given a customer service phone number to contact . I really let them have it in the shop I told them what a lousy company True is whether it be there pathetic overpriced TV service or their useless internet.Its incredible how such a company gets by with such poor service and I have lived in Thailand more than 3 years,

Of course True are not on their own.I flew into DonMuang airport the night before with NOK air when I collected my checked in case I discovered a tear in the side of my soft case , Basically it was ruined. I took my case to NOK counter where I was told I could claim 100 bht refund , yes can you believe 100 Bht for a 60$ case. If you look on your boarding receipt with NOk air they actually stipulate that the maximum you can claim is 500 bht for damaged case and 2000bht for a lost case,it has to be the lowest compensation in the world airline compensation amounts I have ever seen. I refused the 100 bht and when I was offered 200 bht I refused again, They get the duty manager who I make it clear that I want the full amount of 500 bht that they state in their terms, When he is reluctant to pay that I tell him I will pursue the airline on this issue another phone call is made and they agree to pay the maximum amount, of course being Thailand I was made to wait another hour and signed 5 forms and then made to walk 500 metres to their office to get the money . They never even apologized , once again Thai customer service sucks.

Edited by KKvampire

All I wanted was a packet of Marlboro from the separate counter for liquor and tobacco at Tesco Lotus last week, AND it was after 11am so you'd think things might be in action by that time of the morning, BUT NO! All she could do was point at the lock on the cabinet that she had no key for, so now all my money gets spent back at the 711 where the staff don't give me such crappy excuses as the Tesco Lotus people come out with. They have no phucking key for the cabinet? I don't get paid to shop at Tesco Lotus nor fix those ridiculous problems.

Funny that.... My thai gf was over in the UK for 5 months recently and she was shocked at the lack of staff in shops and the poor customer service offered here. She worked as an accountant for a large organisation that owned and run shopping malls in Thailand.

The other thing she noted was "old people" working in Tesco's B&Q etc she said all these kinds of jobs in Thai are all done by young people. Must admit I never took much notice tof this the times I have been to Thailand.

Seems alot of falangs in Thailand have too much time on their hands so have time to moan on here, seems like a school yard here sometimes. Though your case damage could have been handled better but these things happen.

All I wanted was a packet of Marlboro from the separate counter for liquor and tobacco at Tesco Lotus last week, AND it was after 11am so you'd think things might be in action by that time of the morning, BUT NO! All she could do was point at the lock on the cabinet that she had no key for, so now all my money gets spent back at the 711 where the staff don't give me such crappy excuses as the Tesco Lotus people come out with. They have no phucking key for the cabinet? I don't get paid to shop at Tesco Lotus nor fix those ridiculous problems.

It's Thai bureacracy and poor service and you know what 95% of Thais accept it and thats why the B**S**t will continue

Funny that.... My thai gf was over in the UK for 5 months recently and she was shocked at the lack of staff in shops and the poor customer service offered here. She worked as an accountant for a large organisation that owned and run shopping malls in Thailand.

The other thing she noted was "old people" working in Tesco's B&Q etc she said all these kinds of jobs in Thai are all done by young people. Must admit I never took much notice tof this the times I have been to Thailand.

Seems alot of falangs in Thailand have too much time on their hands so have time to moan on here, seems like a school yard here sometimes. Though your case damage could have been handled better but these things happen.

the reason "older staff are employed in places like B&Q and Tesco is because they have proved to give a better service to the customer than their younger counterparts. You seem to be a visitor to Thailand so maybe not aware of what really happens when you live here. Try being in a Tesco or a BIg C and ask for where an item is at 2 or 3 younger Thai girls, filing their nails or looking at their faces in their pocket mirrors , you maybe lucky to get a wave of the hand in a general direction of where to go. Regarding the comment about falangs having "too much time on their hands" . Its not worthy of a reply and irrelevant to what is being discussed.

Edited by KKvampire

the reason "older staff are employed in places like B&Q and Tesco is because they have proved to give a better service to the customer than their younger counterparts. You seem to be a visitor to Thailand so maybe not aware of what really happens when you live here. Try being in a Tesco or a BIg C and ask for where an item is at 2 or 3 younger Thai girls, filing their nails or looking at their faces in their pocket mirrors , you maybe lucky to get a wave of the hand in a general direction of where to go. Regarding the comment about falangs having "too much time on their hands" . Its not worthy of a reply and irrelevant to what is being discussed.

I do love the women here, whole-heartedly, although please understand that I mean this platonically. It is a pleasure to walk through that shopping mall as a gentleman and do the right thing by the pretty ladies there, all the way to the checkout, which is no place for pretty ladies to be filing their nails. That's not what supermarkets nor pretty girls were invented for to start with!

If customer service is as bad as the repuation then it seems that by now some Farrang would have started some sort of super customer service business. The increase in cost to achieve such service maybe too much for people to pay? So many people on TV talk about cheap price not quality. When quality value becomes important to enough of the population customer service will greatly improve.

So many people move to Thialand because of the inexpensive cost of living so you get what you pay for.

So many people move to Thialand because of the inexpensive cost of living so you get what you pay for.

Fair comment...

To the topic at hand, regarding True...although not related to wifi etc....I will defend True (UBC) not from the programming perspective...yes its cr*p, but from the customer services point of view...never had a problem with them, in fact was given a PVR decoder not so long ago for being on the Platinum package for 5 years...Yes was very cynical when Mrs Soutpeel told me True (UBC) had phoned her and told her we where getting a PVR decoder for free and figured we would get shafted for "addtional costs" at some point, but to date the monthly bill hasnt changed....

Dont hold your breath on a refund from True, Ive been waiting over two year's for a refund of 2000 baht. Yes there crap. Needless to say I won't have anything more to do with them. I would advise anyone who is thinking of taking out any service with them. Dont walk away run.

Fair comment...

To the topic at hand, regarding True...although not related to wifi etc....I will defend True (UBC) not from the programming perspective...yes its cr*p, but from the customer services point of view...never had a problem with them, in fact was given a PVR decoder not so long ago for being on the Platinum package for 5 years...Yes was very cynical when Mrs Soutpeel told me True (UBC) had phoned her and told her we where getting a PVR decoder for free and figured we would get shafted for "addtional costs" at some point, but to date the monthly bill hasnt changed....

Im sorry. But what planet are you on, a customer for 5 year's. Thats over 1,32000 baht. Sure they will give you a PVR.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "customer service".

Not long after moving here we had to get all the "stuff" for our condo. I went to my favorite department store here -- Central (main branch) -- for bedding. Within 10 minutes, over a dozen clerks came up to me to sell me the items they liked. Finally, I asked for the "department manager" (for wont of a better term), and rather calmly told him that if his clerks didn't leave me alone and let me look at styles and prices at my leisure I would be going to the management office to complain...and that farangs aren't all stupid because I was capable of asking for help, if needed or when I was ready to buy.

Not that it's just Central. Another time I went to the Emporium Department Store to look for a DVD player that would surely play my DVDs from home, as well as new ones I would be purchasing here. First, every clerk there was bewildered by the request...and yes, I do mean bewildered. And, every clerk gave me the wrong answer. However, every clerk told me the single most important piece of information about every product ever sold in Thailand -- a piece of information that is unique in language translation to Thailand -- the phrase "20 percent discount".

"Does this DVD player play region 1 DVDs?" "20% discount."

"Are these sheets made of cotton?" "20% discount."

"Is this monitor screen HDMI?" "20% discount."

"When was this meat cut?" "20% discount."

Well, back to my quest for a DVD player that could play all DVDs. I thought, well, maybe I'll go to the head store at Paragon. Much different story there. First clerk KNEW about the products, and of course, easily found what I was looking for. And to be honest, that's a bit of a rarity here. When I was ready to buy a new computer and to look at a Canon 7D camera or a widescreen television I now start off with some question I already know the answer to...and not an obscure question...and thereby ascertain whether the clerk really knows ANYTHING about the product. If he or she does, we proceed. If not I ask for another clerk who does know about the product. If there is none, I try elsewhere.

So again, back to your GF -- what does she set as her standard as having good customer service -- someone who knows nothing about the product but will quickly take her money, or someone who actually knows the product.

The other thing I want to mention is something a THAI FRIEND told me about Thai customer service. "The company will always blame you." We were talking about internet service, but she said it didn't matter what the product or service was -- almost always it'll be that you did something wrong. And even when it turns out it was their service or product that was at fault, it is unlikely there will be any admission of it. So far, I am finding that to be pretty much true.

It's Thai bureacracy and poor service and you know what 95% of Thais accept it and thats why the B**S**t will continue

I like the way it works in Thailand, not like in the west where everyone complains about not getting top notch service and all that whinny BS.

True visions indeed have a very poor record for customer service. Last year i paid for the True visions gold TV package. They installed a secondhand box and remote which looked like they had been pulled from the rubbish bin. I was told that if i wanted a new one i would have to pay 500 baht. Also, i never receive the monthly TV magazine via the post. They claim the post service is at fault but when i explain i always get their monthly bill on time through the post they send the magazine which arrives half way through the month. This has been the situation for six months and after 20 plus emails nothing changes. I'm just waiting until the village gets decent internet at which time i will tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine.

I've had nothing but positive experiences with True. I've always had higher bandwidth than I pay for, even in the early days when many folks were having major problems. When I call customer service they answer the phone and answer the question or address the problem. When they aren't able to rectify a situation a tech comes out within a day or two. Overall I'm quite happy with my internet package and my true vision package. The cost is a bit high given the bandwidth for internet and the channel selection but that's to be expected in a near monopoly.

Yeah, no issues with True either other than that it does cut out once in awhile, but I'm on their cable system, not satellite. When we do have to call them out to look at something it's usually a day or two as well.

As for poor service in public places for foreigners, I do see that more and more, and unfortunately I think it's because of a 'public complaining/whinging... often totally justified by the way' trend by a minority of foreigners making it worse for everyone else. I certainly provide feedback from time to time, but it's usually towards management (and then I have my secretary follow it up with corporate if it's a company) and not line workers.

:)

unfortunately I think it's because of a 'public complaining/whinging... often totally justified by the way' trend by a minority of foreigners making it worse for everyone else.

Well there's some crazy contradictions. A minority of foreigners "complaining" "Totally Justified" but "making it worse for everyone else"

I suppose these Falangs who live here getting poor service and complaining justifiably should keep their mouths shut and lose out financially , or maybe we should hire a secretary to speak to the company management.

unfortunately I think it's because of a 'public complaining/whinging... often totally justified by the way' trend by a minority of foreigners making it worse for everyone else.

Well there's some crazy contradictions. A minority of foreigners "complaining" "Totally Justified" but "making it worse for everyone else"

I suppose these Falangs who live here getting poor service and complaining justifiably should keep their mouths shut and lose out financially , or maybe we should hire a secretary to speak to the company management.

you still love it here, though dont ye.

I really let them have it in the shop I told them what a lousy company True is whether it be there pathetic overpriced TV service or their useless internet.

What purpose does this serve other than making you look like a jackass? You think you are talking to anybody who has anything to do with the policies and procedures they are following?

I saw some idiot do something like this last time I was at iStudio in Paragon screaming at the staff that they had lost a customer and how much their store sucked etc - all because they were just following instructions about how to handle his situation.

At least call a manager and complain to them - though do so in a polite manner and if they still say no just leave and come here and bitch about it. Blowing up in public is a very non-Thai thing to do and anybody within ear shot surely thought you were a huge tool and you are making all Farang look bad with that behavior.

That said - yes, Thai customer service generally is either very bad or very good. I went to get my iPhone repaired at MBK the other day and stood in front of an empty 'shop' for at least five minutes while one guy was playing a game on his cell phone and the other appeared to be writing email or something on his laptop.

They acted surprised that I needed something when I finally forcefully made eye contact with one of them - guess they thought I was just standing their admiring the view of the wall behind them all that time. I guess I could have spoken up or something but I assumed they knew I was there and were doing something important and would get to me when they were done. They were not - they just were clueless to the fact that I needed help. Both of them dropped what they were doing to help me when I got their attention.

My maid does an excellent job when she is here but she constantly misses days and does all other manner of flaky stuff. Though she is working for something like $1.50 an hour, and doesn't steal my stuff, so I don't complain.

On an on got millions of stories - just something you deal with here. Learn to live with it or leave. Don't blow up at people - laziness is a part of their culture - you will find that they will be very tolerant of you also being lazy. Blowing up just makes you look like a buffoon.

Edited by YanTree

I do accept that the low paid staff dealing with the customers take the flak but often they are the only ones we as customers can deal with, emails phone calls are absolutely a waste of time dealing with Thai companies, and impossible ever to confront the ones directly responsible . But as with your experience with the iphone, staff in shops and service centres can be so frustrating.

"laziness is a part of their culture". At least you made one factual statement

Edited by KKvampire

Yawn yawn, out come he apologists again.

Thailand does have a number of things in it's favour.....customer service, being largely non existant is not one of them.

hmm I just now realized you were talking only about True and not about all customer service in Thailand - I can't recall ever having dealt with them so take my above post as a general one on Thai customer service (it sucks everywhere, not just True).

Fair comment...

The same thing happened to me with a Cyberpoint card. I called Cyberpoint and they connected me and gave me a 500 Baht credit for the inconvenience.

throwing a wobbly in public and humiliating a mere clerk acheives nothing anywhere and is particularly counter prroductive here.

As for making it worse for others, a peon who has just been ripped a new asshol_e by some indignant farang, is not going to make any attempt tto help the next one along.

heng has merely pointed out an alternative, more effective way to deal with complaints, and all you can focus on is the fact that he has a secretary. poor you.

throwing a wobbly in public and humiliating a mere clerk acheives nothing anywhere and is particularly counter prroductive here.

As for making it worse for others, a peon who has just been ripped a new asshol_e by some indignant farang, is not going to make any attempt tto help the next one along.

heng has merely pointed out an alternative, more effective way to deal with complaints, and all you can focus on is the fact that he has a secretary. poor you.

have to dis-agree i did it in Tesco when new phone would not work and she would not change, the more pressure i gave her in public the more pressure she gave her boss on the phone. after i told a few farangs not to buy goods from them a new phone appeared. i did not like doing it but some times it pushes some over the edge. it saved me 6000 baht. customer service here is bad, worse i have experienced anywhere else in Thailand. waiting for girls to finish private calls, no product, doing make up instead of taking care of customers, watching TV instead of serving etc etc. now i just tell them i am off some where else because the doing their job badly, smiling of course. exception being immigration and driving licience centre. IMHO

Edited by NALAK

I really let them have it in the shop I told them what a lousy company True is whether it be there pathetic overpriced TV service or their useless internet.

What purpose does this serve other than making you look like a jackass? You think you are talking to anybody who has anything to do with the policies and procedures they are following?

Blowing up just makes you look like a buffoon.

Absolutely right.

1) The sales staff are not involved in the technical side of "does the internet connect or not"

2) you are chuffed over 100 baht? - time to leave

3) In a country where people are supposed to "grin & bear it" you are the ugly falang. The jai dum guy who threw a tantrum in public (the highest end high end mall in the country). Congrats - I bet all those models types want to date you "teddy bear".

Tilting at windmills.

I have had TRUE & it's predecessors for 20 years - quite happy. Platinum package + extras; 8 MB ADSL line - it's the only game in town.

Some people are just unlucky.

Nalak, its up to you, but pressure can be exerted without making a scene.

i dont advocate giving in, but you pick your battles and measure your reaction.

no apologies for true or thailand here, but going apeshit over a 100 baht internet card (remember the op) is hardly an appropriate response. especially when the fault is not that of the clerk, but runs much deeper throughout the entire organization.

then again considering the abundance of free internet in town, the entire situation is ridiculous. people really do over complicate their lives. personally, should i require the use of the internet, a shopping mall would not be my destination.

Edited by t.s

Perhaps I'm the odd Asian in this part of the forum, or maybe some would think that I'm perhaps one of the few million Thais and Asians that would meekly accept whatever shit's thrown to them and being cool hearted about it.

If there's something I notice about Thailand and their level of customer service, its this - Treat the staff like how you would want to be treated if you are in their shoes.

To-date, I don't really have much problem with 'bad customer service'.

Standing in the aisle at Villa, trying to look at the products on the shelves while a clerk is blocking my view filing her nails/checking her phone/staring off into space is one of my favourite pastimes. How long do I have to stare at her before the penny drops? This sort of stuff can be very entertaining. You can follow them all the way to the end of the aisle if you time it right and the clerk is clueless enough.