My Wedding Ring

Totster

My wedding ring being made from Thai gold is very soft, naturally it bends out of shape.

The problem is, now that i'm back in the UK for a few months my finger has shrunk a bit (cos it's bloody freezing here) and the ring is getting more out of shape.

I'm just worried that in time (not so long) the metal will become too fatigued and break, I don't mean right away, but in the future. I'm worried it may not last a "lifetime".

Anyone got any tips on how I can take better care of it, or any other comments...? Should I be worried..? :o

totster :D

Edited by Totster

My wedding ring being made from Thai gold is very soft, naturally it bends out of shape.

The problem is, now that i'm back in the UK for a few months my finger has shrunk a bit (cos it's bloody freezing here) and the ring is getting more out of shape.

I'm just worried that in time (not so long) the metal will become too fatigued and break, I don't mean right away, but in the future.  I'm worried it may not last a "lifetime".

Anyone got any tips on how I can take better care of it, or any other comments...? Should I be worried..?  :o

totster  :D

4 options :

1) wear it on a necklace around your neck.

2) get it alloyed and recast to stronger 18 Karat.

3) put in safe keeping, and buy a new 18 Karat ring.

4) get it resized and polished (an ongoing process)

My father had at least 4 different 14 karat gold wedding rings during his more than 50 year marriage to my mother. They wore out and they replaced them. Perhaps yours will too.

Thai gold is pure gold and since it is soft it will wear faster. To get a ring that lasts longer you get an 18 k or 14 k ring. The reduction in gold content is done with other metals that increase the hardness and durablility of the metal. A very high quality metal which wears better is platinum but for my taste its not as beautiful as gold.

Edited by chownah

How long do you expect the marriage to last? :D

If you check the gold clasp used for baht chains you will find they are used very often and stand up quite well over long periods (much more flex than in a ring) so I would not be concerned. The ring can always be repaired if a change is a no-no.

Although Thai gold should be 23k it seldom is from most reports; including government sources. Better to figure it at a little over 22k for all but a few places. I would much prefer having my 22k ring than the 14k play stuff you find in most jewelry stores. :o

Edited by lopburi3

If you check the gold clasp used for baht chains you will find they are used very often and stand up quite well over long periods (much more flex than in a ring) so I would not be concerned. 

That's true...those clasps get manipulated quite a lot, haven't seen a broken one yet..! :o

I would much prefer having my 22k ring than the 14k play stuff you find in most jewelry stores

I agree... I reckon the colour looks great... :D

I rather prefer the colour of the 22K gold over the 18K as well. :o

Is it possible to get a 22K gold ring lacquered or have a polymer type coating applied, so that it not only prevents the soft metal from wearing, but also maintains the shine?

Had mine for 8 years. I almost never take it off (only take it off if using chemicals like White Spirit as it gets trapped behind the ring and gives me a rash). It has been flattened more times than I can remember - I put it back in shape by ramming it on a spike shaped tool (for measuring rings). Never broke.

I have had several 9 and 18ct rings at the same time (only wear one on each hand at most - I'm not Liberache (spelling?)). All have broken - one, an 18ct puzzle ring, wore through in a couple of months and kept cutting my finger. Stick to the Thai gold IMHO!

How long do you expect the marriage to last? :D

If you check the gold clasp used for baht chains you will find they are used very often and stand up quite well over long periods (much more flex than in a ring) so I would not be concerned.  The ring can always be repaired if a change is a no-no.

Although Thai gold should be 23k it seldom is from most reports; including government sources.  Better to figure it at a little over 22k for all but a few places.  I would much prefer having my 22k ring than the 14k play stuff you find in most jewelry stores. :o

Yes, I was thinking the same thing about the necklace clasps. Gold is VERY malleable. A ring should not suffer from metal fatigue simply from being bent into an oval once in a while. To be honest, if a 23K gold ring were to suffer metal fatigue under those conditions, it would make me wonder if it were gold at all.

Mine is scratched to bits after just 8 months, I have had many rings outlast my 4 marriages, but I don't think this ring won't outlast my current marriage...maybee it's a sign, if the ring is no good then the marriage will be, if the marriage is no good the ring will last !

Called SOD'S BLODDY LAW

Mai Bpen Rai.....I suppose..... Whatever happened to all that beautiful gold, wonder where it is now and who's wearing it? hmmm.. Never thought about it before I read this thread.

as it gets trapped behind the ring and gives me a rash). It has been flattened more times than I can remember - I put it back in shape by ramming it on a spike shaped tool (for measuring rings). Never broke

A proper man, what can one say?

my wife prefers to wear 18ct White gold (preferably set with diamonds). Personally, i prefer this look on a woman.

Oh so do I, it does look somewhat out of place on a male road sweeper don't you think?

My father had at least 4 different 14 karat gold wedding rings during his more than 50 year marriage to my mother.  They wore out and they replaced them.  Perhaps yours will too.

Agree -- I have been hitched 34 years+ and I'm on my third or fourth ring. We tend to make a bit of a ceremony on retiring the old and aquiring the new -- makes it more fun.

At the end of the day, rings are just symbols of your commitment -- while that is important, it is not what is on your finger, but what is in your heart that makes the difference.

Had my gold ring for 12 years and has been squashed into an oval shape a few times. Mainly from wearing it when working on the car or whatever. :o

When the missus is browsing in Maa Boon Krong I ask nicely someone behind the counter if they would mind fixing it. They grab a rubber mallet, stick it on one of those ring measuring thingies and start pounding it. Looks new again! :D

Cheers BaanOz

my wife prefers to wear 18ct White gold (preferably set with diamonds). Personally, i prefer this look on a woman.

Oh so do I, it does look somewhat out of place on a male road sweeper don't you think?

:D:D

Agree -- I have been hitched 34 years+ and I'm on my third or fourth ring.  We tend to make a bit of a ceremony on retiring the old and aquiring the new -- makes it more fun.

At the end of the day, rings are just symbols of your commitment -- while that is important, it is not what is on your finger, but what is in your heart that makes the difference.

Good point Mr Red...

Gotta say that the "retiring ring ceremony" sounds like an excellent excuse for a party..

:o:D

The edges of the ring I have at first seemed extremely sharp... it cut the bottom of my left finger on 5 seperate occasions while opening vehicle doors and carrying boxes with handles.

I have now grown a callous (sp?) on the bottom of my ring finger and havn't had any problems with it in a while.

Mine as well is stamped with a 98.5% maybe 96.5% can't really tell.

Someone I know (a local married to a Thai), who will remain nameless, was on a 5 day drinking binge in Bangkok.

It was 2 days before Pay-day, his wife was in Issan, I leant him 5000, but he needed more, so off to the gold-shop and he sold his wedding ring.

Needless to say, he had some explaining to do when his wife came home a day early.