Honda Wave110i At Cv-matic

Scuddy

Honda Wave 110i AT CV-Matic

FROM THE HONDA WORLDWIDE WEBSITE;

Honda will begin sales in Thailand of a new Cub-type automatic transmission (AT) scooter model, Wave110i AT, in March of this year through A. P. Honda Co., Ltd., a Honda affiliate responsible for distribution of Honda motorcycle products in Thailand. Based on the Wave110i, which is highly acclaimed for its fuel efficiency, the Wave110i AT features a new automatic transmission called CV-Matic. The starting price will be 44,900 baht, with an annual sales plan of 50,000 units. (1 baht = approximately 2.7 yen)

CV-Matic makes the Wave110i AT a product that offers both the typical characteristics of Cub-type bikes such as longer riding range, durability and superior cost-performance as well as added characteristics such as ease of operation and comfortable ride. In addition to Thailand, Honda has plans for the sequential introduction of Wave110i AT in Vietnam and neighboring countries to meet the diversifying needs of customers in ASEAN markets.

The CV-Matic features a new cooling system which solved the issue of heat load on drive belt, and was developed based on the small-motorcycle automatic transmission technologies Honda has been fostering over the years. This new system enhances the durability of the drive belt and allows for a more compact design with a shorter distance between the drive pulley and driven pulley. Due to this advance, the engine position does not need to be significantly altered, optimizing design layout freedom.

With the introduction of the Wave110i AT, an AT model of the already popular Wave110i, Honda will further enhance its product lineup to meet the diversifying customer needs.

Edited by Scuddy

My Honda dealer told me the other day that Honda would not only no longer make any small bikes with a clutch, they would no longer make the click-type clutch found on Waves, Dreams, etc. Everything would be automatic in future. This is very disappointing to those of us who hate automatics. Not to mention all those poor motorbike taxi drivers having to buy autos which will break expensively after 2-3 years.

The Click, Wave, etc -basically all small bikes from Honda come without clutch lever. And no not everything in the future is automatic. Although you need to wait somewhat for Honda to show its new models.

Edited by Richard-BKK

I wonder if that dealer was clear on the difference between manual with clutch and manual without - or if he was expressing the difference clearly. Implication, yes, is that all will be automatics. However, manual without clutch, it seems to me from the original statement, might still be produced (worst of the three alternatives, IMHO).

But a little patience will tell - we should get a clearer idea at the end of March at the Motor Show.

Honda’s new Wave 110i-AT

The Wave at four prices

A local mall in CM showed AT Waves today, lots of them. There were games, shirts, free Cokes, and winners got to ride the AT bike over a tiny course, following a white-suited Honda driver.

Available were the brochures, which show the typical line of 1) drum brakes 2) disc brakes and 3) electric start and now 4) the AT. The first three (none were on show) appear to be equipped with screws for a basket, as the lights stay above between the handlebars. The AT, though, appears to have an “eagle-eye” position lamp and a unique nose that would preclude the use of a basket; and I saw no holes or screws supplied.

Prices were not posted, but attractive models who were willing to try English said 40 thousand, in answer to my question about price. They may have been told to say that to get us into the show room. One PCX was on show as well and for that they said 70K.

Unique to the Wave i-AT is not only its automatic transmission, but it has retained the right side FOOT brake – rather than double handed brakes. It adds the parking brake as well. Those who have studied this string will know of the nature of the transmission, but the drive train seems long, and is hidden – most likely a v-belt. I’ll know more from the dealer tomorrow, if he’s open.

Not available on the Wave of any type, it seems, are items I could get on the Click-i last year, along with its automatic. Those would include the combi-brake and alloy wheels. Waves continue with their wheel size at 17” and the AT is one size wider (70/80 instead of 60/70). Sort of a poor man’s Click basic, but with a new “cooled” automatic transmission, new plastic looks.

on the clutch issue. Is there a reason why bigger bike have clutches? Am not talking about going completely AT, just get rid of the clutches. If they can manage it then I'll be the first in line. Maybe a 250's or something

It helps to get them into 1st!

on the clutch issue. Is there a reason why bigger bike have clutches? Am not talking about going completely AT, just get rid of the clutches. If they can manage it then I'll be the first in line. Maybe a 250's or something

================================================================================

=

If I want to go from 4th gear to second, or 3'd to first, the last thing I'd want is a manual clutchLESS transmission. It takes ages. And at near stops, you have to shift all the way down to first, one gear at a time - takes more ages. With a clutch (and torque), you have choices pretty fast, and with automatic, faster results than with clutchless IMHO.

I have a 4-gear semi-automatic motorcycle for shopping mostly, and I not recognize any of the problems you have. When I close the throttle 100% I can select any gear I would like, It happens often that I skip gears, never a problem. Also with emergency stops, when I close the throttle, just let the throttle-grip slip in my hand, the bike is actually in the same state as I would pull the clutch lever on a manual clutch bike... (pretty fast)

Further on the New Wave 110Fi AT. It is NOT liquid cooled. Honda claims 53k/l for it on that easy ECE40 test they use. Locals are asking 45,500 for cash, 46,500 if loan is involved.

The New Click-i's brochure was available. It continues, of course, with flat floor, liquid cooling, and we can add comb-brake and alloy wheels. Honda says it gets 49 on the ECE40Mode - less urban driving than most tests on that one. Costs around 50K.

If I decide on one of these, I won't have to answer one of RichardBKK's challenges. That's good, because I cannot get my rented 125 Wave - while in motion - to shift from 4th (throttle OFF) to 2nd, without pausing in 3'd waiting for another shove.

================================================================================

=

If I want to go from 4th gear to second, or 3'd to first, the last thing I'd want is a manual clutchLESS transmission. It takes ages. And at near stops, you have to shift all the way down to first, one gear at a time - takes more ages. With a clutch (and torque), you have choices pretty fast, and with automatic, faster results than with clutchless IMHO.

totally agree with you. manual gear with autoengaged/centrifugal clutch is crap. Had 2 waves years ago, do anything to not have to ride one again.

I like to ride big bikes, 1st down rest up. Wave is opposit, nightmare

auto for scoots please :)

Further on the New Wave 110Fi AT. It is NOT liquid cooled. Honda claims 53k/l for it on that easy ECE40 test they use. Locals are asking 45,500 for cash, 46,500 if loan is involved.

The New Click-i's brochure was available. It continues, of course, with flat floor, liquid cooling, and we can add comb-brake and alloy wheels. Honda says it gets 49 on the ECE40Mode - less urban driving than most tests on that one. Costs around 50K.

If I decide on one of these, I won't have to answer one of RichardBKK's challenges. That's good, because I cannot get my rented 125 Wave - while in motion - to shift from 4th (throttle OFF) to 2nd, without pausing in 3'd waiting for another shove.

have a look at Suzuki Skydrive. 125cc injection aircooled, very powerfull and good CVT. at 45k baht

Auto for scoots - no argument from me, which is why I'm looking at these models - plus they are Hondas with their reputation for holding onto second-hand sales value plus fuel alternatives running to E20. Mileage.

(OT - 'ZukiFi Skydrive does look terrific, even if aircooled - especially second hand, and it's been around a while.)

Here some pictures of the Honda Wave110iAT we will doing a review of the bike

b_p2200007.jpg

6_p2200005.jpg

f_p2200006.jpg

As you can see the Honda Wave110iAT, still have a final chain drive. The bike is equipped with the latest Honda CV-Matic variable-transmission technology.

Am I missing something?

Other than better centralizing the CoG on a pedestrian bike, what advantage will this have over a regular automatic scooter?

If there's a belt (of what looks like a similar composition as regular scooters) in the driveline it will still have that loss of efficiency.

Sure they flow air around the belt, but so do today's automatic scooters.

That belt is still going to get hot from all that pulley friction.

I wonder how much longer this belt will last compared to a regular automatic scooter belt?

Now you'll have to replace a belt, chain, and sprockets on this bike.

FYI, an automatic of the common (Nouvo, PCX, Mio, Fino) cannot break expensively.

The most likely drivetrain failure is a belt snapping or the variator weights flatting.

These are less than $20 fixes.

A manual runs more risk of expensive breaking if you slam/grind gears or the chain breaks and gets caught up in something.

Edited by ttakata

Hi :)

Kick starter on the left side? Wow.... last time i've seen that was on my old Zundapp bikes back in Germany :D I think lots of people will complain about that.....

And why does this bike look like a Nouvo..? Older Waves look much better.......

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Yes, kickstarter on the left side and fully-variable transmission with a final chain and sprocket drive. We could not get the transmission to slip, as you can do with a regular CVT-system (Constant Variable Transmission) the CV-Matic is clearly an improvement. We wanted to try to pull a car but Honda wants the bike back before 15 March.

Edited by Richard-BKK

Kick starter on the left side? Wow.... last time i've seen that was on my old Zundapp bikes back in Germany :D I think lots of people will complain about that.....

And why does this bike look like a Nouvo..? Older Waves look much better.......

Kind regards.....

Thanh

kick starter on the left. every yammy 115-135cc,mio, nouvo, fino, airblade, click, suzuki. actually never seen an autobike with right side kickstart

Hmm yeah that's true, too..... didn't think about those. But then they usually have e-start too... does this Wave?

Another reason why i deeply dislike automatic bikes, if the engine is flooded or something and it won't start with the kicker (or e-start ) then you can't push-start the dam_n things.

Best regards....

Thanh