Rumor: Kuppa Restaurant Bkk.

maipenrai2010

I have been waiting with anticipation to try "our" Kuppa ever since I saw one nite a month or so ago the sign for the new Kuppa in the window of their new space, as I have long been a fan of the branch on soi 16 in Bangkok. Yesterday at lunch, I had the chance to try it. For those who don't know, Kuppa is basically an upscale (semi Hi-So) coffee and Thai/farang cafe/restaurant chain with a couple branches in Bangkok (I think the other one is on either Ekamai or Thonglo). They are also known for good bakery offerings. My impression:

The decor is modern but the space doesn't seem to work quite right. The space is small, with a large bar area dominating the area. There is also a large wall of glass on the western facing front side (double story) which I predict will make the place very hot most afternoons (no matter how much they crank up the air-con) as there didn't seem to be any shades or mechanical shutters in evidence.

As to the menu and food...the menu is very similar to soi 16 with a mix of Western soup and salad starters, sandwiches, pastas, and a few mains. Prices are reasonable. I had one of my soi 16 favs...spaghetti carbonara (B295) and it was very creamy and tasty. However, I did note with disapproval the use of belly-bacon and not Italian Pancetta in the dish (soi 16 uses Pancetta and there is definitely a difference in taste). I guess they figure us Pattayans are country rubes and wouldn't know the difference :) My companion had the tomato soup (B150) and said it was good. Overall, considering the ambiance and location, the prices were reasonable to me.

However, the prices for coffee beverages bordered on the obscene...I guess this is where they intend to make their profits...if they can get anyone to buy one. Try B 100 for a plain cup of coffee (which actually was only half of a rather smallish cup). Espresso based drinks will set you back B 120. These are the most expensive prices for coffee in town that I have come across and it was nothing special either.

For the food, I would go back if in the mood and in the area but wouldn't make a special trip to eat there, which I used to do regularly for soi 16 when I lived in Bangkok.

Edited by FarangBuddha