Courts Of Justice Deny US$150 Million Bribe Offer To Influence Verdict On Thaksin Assets

webfact

Oh please, the desperate man is Abhisit!

It's easier for those in power and barely holding on to make such false accusations.

Do you seriously think someone with Thaksin's connections would do it with such lack of discretion.

That's already proven when Thaksin's lawyers were caught offering a bribe for in the cake box; widely documented everywhere.

In addition, there are those who allege bribes were paid for some of the following:

- getting daughters into Kaset and Chula when neither had the grades to make entrance

- getting son to avoid being prosecuted and getting media to keep quiet when son was caught cheating at Ram U

- using financial incentives to influence decisions in the cases of TPI, Phayathai Hospital both of which have subsequently ended up in TRT proxy hands

- using TRT funds to encourage small no name parties to stand in the null 2006 election (proven in court)

The list is endless.

I don't think anyone who knows how he thinks would doubt that he is willing to go to any level to hang onto money he feels is his own. The last time when he was up in court back in 2003/4 when he was facing an electoral ban for 5 years resulting from giving a false asset statement (admitted) he claimed he had made an honest mistake, and using a combination of huge popular pressure and alledged other incentives, he was able to escape being caught by the narrowest of margins.

The economy is doing just fine given that we have not had any real form of government leadership since late 2004. If these two gangs (yellow and red) would kindly just f&*k off and stay in some dump like Cambodia, then we can get on with actually doing something.

Junglist - Thaksin could have easily avoided all of this had he simply paid tax voluntarily back in early 2006 - anyone can see an off market transaction at 1 baht then selling again at 47b or whatever it was the next day is taxable - he also probably should not have been nearly as transparent as changing the law in Jan then selling in Feb. And of course, he probably should not have sold 90%+ shares to investors abroad of a company type that theoretically must be majority owned by Thais; he probably shouldn't have allowed all the petty scams to rip off the taxpayers at the airport/TAT/EXIM Bank/etc etc - its entirely academic, because anyone who knows him is entirely clear why he did all of this and why he continues to do so. His view of reality and ability to take advice is markedly different to how perhaps, a more typical or more successful CEO/leader/Prime Minister might choose to behave.

For what it is worth, I suspect that the only reason to pay a bribe would be if the decision was already known - I think in this case while some gifts and grease might be floating around the place, it probably is not coming from the red shirts and Thaksin in any great amount; he knows that this judging panel are relatively impartial this time.

Looking at it from the letter of the law, it seemed to some familiar with Thai commercial law, that he was already pushing a very risky approach for much of what he did in the asset sale; his attempts to rely on case law via precedents his own administration set is highly risky in a country that does not rely extensively on case law - we aren't in the UK/USA here - ours is a mixture of the French/UK legal system.

Good response. I too was thinking about the cake box full of money. I guess some on here have not been here long enough to know all the thinks Taksin did. Now Im not saying that he did not do some good, which he did, but he made some big mistakes with selling of his company. I would not be suprised at all that he offered a bribe, the cake box time his lawyer got caught, how many times did this happen it worked, it might be working now.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you seriously think someone with Thaksin's connections would do it with such lack of discretion.

:) I can't believe you typed this with a straight face... not to single out Thaksin as a particular point of focus for this specific story, but he's hardly been a 'shrinking violet', nor a paragon of virtue to date...

UPDATE

THAKSIN'S D-DAY

No bribes offered to judges : court spokesman

BANGKOK: -- The Courts of Justice have dismissed as groundless the report that judges sitting in a Bt76-billion-assets trial against fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra have been offered Bt5 billion in bribes to influence the verdict.

Courts of Justice spokesman Sitthisak Wanachakij told reporters Monday that there is no fact on the reports.

He believed the spreading of the report of the bribes were intended to create confustion and suspicion and to bring into question the fairness of the court ruling.

The nine judges of the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions are scheduled to deliver verdict on Friday whether to seize the Bt76.6 billion in frozen assets of Thaksin and his family.

Sitthisak claimed that if any bribe was accepted, the Thai authorities could trace it by checking the money transfer route. He affirmed that to date no judges have reported attempted bribe offers.

The spokesman was responding to a claim by a New Politics Party spokesman who claimed that there was talk among some judges that five of the nine Supreme Court judges in the Thaksin assets case have been offered the bribes.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-22

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Turning up the heat... is anyone *not* surprised at this?

Excellent observation......perchance a desperation tactic by the MeedGia and TelYe to raise revenue by speculating rampant Disorder & Terror, etc? Not on the Radar elsewhere outside LOS that I have noticed....you seen any interest at all in the World?

rgdz,

Brewsta

If it was my 76.6 billion I would offer more then 6%!!!!!!!

yes I would offer half of it.....

lol...with that mindstate, no wonder you DON'T have that much money!

Good idea. Because he was too tight with his bribe now Mr. T won’t have that money either. 55555

umm it is called negotiating

Not surprised. A desperate man.

It's easier for those in power and barely holding on to make such false accusations.

The Democrats attempts to arrest the guy has proven what lame ducks they are....the international community and interpol are just ignoring their "requests"....all foreign investors (not expats living in thailand and playing politics they have no vote in) just want the mess to go away so everyone (thais, foreign investors) can go on with life and have Thailand be the fast grower in SE Asia once again.

The idiots that started the Thaksin coup destroyed that growth and everyone from the average Thai to foreginer corps to foreigners with litigimate (and even illegitimate) investments in Siam have been hurt......the man's politics were populist and maybe it wasn't good for the country in the long long term, but all was going well for everyone until that coup....give it ten years and the moronic leaders of the coup and the yellow shirts will be seen for what they are....the corrupt old guard that tried to hold on to power when the corrupt new guard that wanted to move to free markets threatened them.

Just let it all go away and let the country move on....all these stupid court trials are politicized and will just keep the Thai economy in crap city.

I agree with most of what you said.

But then again, how discrete was the Burmese loan deal (so they could buy his company's satellite/comm equipment)?

Edited by ChefHeat

He affirmed that to date no judges have reported attempted bribe offers.

Of course they wouldn't report bribe offers, if they took the bribes! Who would?

Initially I read the title of this article to mean that the judges turned down a bribe offer, but that is not what the article is about at all. It is about the judges denying that there was an offer in the first place.

Knowing one of the judges - this story is complete media hype and deliberate misinformation to stir trouble! //deleted by Admin// has lost but it not down and out - yet! But he is doing enough damage to his own reputation daily now to be banished to a far off land of hostiles who will milk him and his funds and then toss him aside like the true criminal he really is. Pity they just can't nail the rest! :) Dubai is officially broke and Cambodia not far behind. "He chose well" (Indianna Jones)

Knowing one of the judges???? let me guess your best friend is the chief of police, and you regulary drink with tata young?

Who is offering the Alleged bribe, Red or yellow?

You beat me to it. I have the same question. Was it Sondhi paying to get the Funds frozen? [like he helped pay to get his crony, buddy, friend (in those days) Thaksin into power]

At the end of the day does it really matter? The "Government" is in power no matter what colour they are!

In 20 years it will all be a memory not reported correctly in school text books (if they're printed in Japan)!

60 cents solves the problem forever, the British army had the right people in Nth Ireland, hire one of them??

nice one!!!

if you want avoid deletion of your post please use politicians real names!

I missed the post & Im not having a chop at moderation here but one could be forgiven in misnaming some of these characters, afterall the whole charade is a bit like a circus clown trick.

$150 million as a bribe, sounds alright to me, I'd take the money and run :) then again, im a bit dodgy :D

I missed the post & Im not having a chop at moderation here but one could be forgiven in misnaming some of these characters, afterall the whole charade is a bit like a circus clown trick.

$150 million as a bribe, sounds alright to me, I'd take the money and run :D then again, im a bit dodgy :D

With that kind of un-a-Countable Cash, one could personally redefine the word dodgy, methinks :D

Dollops of dodgy Dosh or Permanently in Paucity? Interesting decision to have to make - yip.

Brewsta the Benevolent :)

Edited by Brewsta

If Thaksin was smart he would take (or announce that) all the money in question would be given to the people of Thailand for the construction of new schools and hospitals. He is probably going to lose it all anyways why not let it fall were it is needed not in to the pockets of the corrupt. It is his only chance to regain some Karma from all the wicked deeds he has done. Last chance for redemption.

Good Idea i would like to see that happen,not that i think he has done wicked deeds iam not a judge or jury,but for him to build new schools and hospitals for the people who need them,not the rich who have them ?

The Democrats attempts to arrest the guy has proven what lame ducks they are....the international community and interpol are just ignoring their "requests"....all foreign investors (not expats living in thailand and playing politics they have no vote in) just want the mess to go away so everyone (thais, foreign investors) can go on with life and have Thailand be the fast grower in SE Asia once again.

The idiots that started the Thaksin coup destroyed that growth and everyone from the average Thai to foreginer corps to foreigners with litigimate (and even illegitimate) investments in Siam have been hurt......the man's politics were populist and maybe it wasn't good for the country in the long long term, but all was going well for everyone until that coup....give it ten years and the moronic leaders of the coup and the yellow shirts will be seen for what they are....the corrupt old guard that tried to hold on to power when the corrupt new guard that wanted to move to free markets threatened them.

Just let it all go away and let the country move on....all these stupid court trials are politicized and will just keep the Thai economy in crap city.

Lack of discretion..Can't you remember the last box of money left with the judges?

$150 million as a bribe, sounds alright to me, I'd take the money and run :D then again, im a bit dodgy :D

With that kind of un-a-Countable Cash, one could personally redefine the word dodgy, methinks :D

Dollops of dodgy Dosh or Permanently in Paucity? Interesting decision to have to make - yip.

Brewsta the Benevolent :)

Maybe just card of some type, will avoid the hastle of lugging around all that paper money :D

I thought Thaksin was not bad; now you need to compare apples with apples, as to who were going to replace him. Bangkok elite that wanted a slice of the cake?

A lot of people forget that this is south east Asia politics, where any thing can happen if pushed for by the people in power.

A man who ran a Texas oil company that went into liquidation was able to become President of a very powerful country, and then sent it broke.

Give the guy the money and hope he likes Cambodia better! Its going to be a very bad smell if they don't rather than a bad smell.

Don't doubt it that there is a way to grease the palm here? But by who and to whom, I wouldn't know.

As long as the people of the country like the person in power they stay in power.

Its a hard gig at times.

If it was my 76.6 billion I would offer more then 6%!!!!!!!

yes I would offer half of it.....

If I were Thaksin I would offer it all (76.6 billion Baht), and once again in power steal it again as he is very acquainted in. But next time will more sophisticated and including some 400% interest I guess...

I think this is great if really true. Maybe the country is moving in the right direction and taking a more "western" honest integrity oriented approach. but are we really ready to deal with that? :)

Yes, but after the coming civil war....

For brevity sake, I will just use "Amarta".. As many of you know, this descriptor represents one side of this political divide, namely the aristocratic and elite, all their friends including the PAD/NPP, the current Govt and most importantly, the domestic media.

The "Amarta...." have been working for weeks now to discredit their political opponents by characterizing them as being devoid of any Political substance, other than the Thaksin money thing. They certainly wouldn't want to attribute any intent dealing with returning electoral based democracy. That is the worst of all for them.

A speaker on the UDD stage recently indicated that in their opinion, the "Amarta..." has hijacked the media and the judicial system.

First the media.....when one reads the blitz of articles connecting all protests to one, narrow and discrediting aspect, one can see some truth in that "hijacking" characterization. Everything from deceitful amendments, non-existent bribes to judges, interviews with PAD officials and even the previous Coup leader, the Prem context, etc. They are reaching a crescendo and fever pitch this week.........all from the "Amarta...." and all one-sided

What about the other so-called "hijacking" the judicial one, or the judicial coup as the UDD/DAAD calls it. The notion is deeply ingrained in the democracy Movement that the "Amarta...." is controlling the judiciary. They will give you a litany of judicial actions that support their perspective. In fact, this female dominated Democracy Movement has as one of their basic slogans, "No justice, no peace". That slogan is everywhere with them. On clothing, on signs, flags...everything.

This is unfortunate. One would like to think that all other politics may be crazy, but at least some sanity remains in the judicial system. They dont believe there is any.

.....Before the coup, there was not a Red Shirt democracy Movement. Now there is, and the 'Amarta...' are having a hel_l-of-a-time getting that genie back into the bottle. In fact, they will not be able to. They may have all the structural and financial power, but in terms of citizenry numbers, they are just a minority. Some would call the current situation a "tyranny of the minority".

1. The claim of media bias; the international media and local media have been fairly similar in claims and facts reported recently; we have the ultra pro red shirts Straights Times and RedTV on one end, and then the ultra anti red shirts ASTV locally here (although admittedly not quite as hysterical as Thaksinvision). BKK Post with twits like Suranand Vejajiva etc as well as the loons at the Nation give us some taste in between. To claim bias is a joke given that under the TRT years, the Amarta back (elite people behind the scenes) then were heavy weights of business who oversaw the collapse of the free media in Thailand using AIS media budget, ownership and suing independents to have complete biased control over the media. Anyhow, people in the media now will tell you that there is not a lot of phone calls late night telling them what to write...not like the old TRT days where a story about cracks in the runway or a negative opinion of Shinsat or opposing censorship in ITV resulted in FIRED, TOLD NEVER TO WRITE ABOUT IT AGAIN BY THE CHAIRMAN and FIRED AS A GROUP respectively. yeah, it was really freedom of the press when the redshirts/TRT were in power.

2. The claims of double standards for the amarta - this is exactly what they seek for 110 politicians who cheated, and 1 very rich square faced telecomms billionaire who many red shirts (when asked privately) will admit probably did do some corrupt stuff, but should be let off because he did more good than bad. Supreme double standard - how on earth do they know that the judiciary is or isn't biased certainly was biased to get Thaksin off last time around. I note one plot of land in Khao Yai is now in public ownership. Another plot called Alpine is still very much up in the air. Yes - there are some elite who fully deserve to be hung drawn and quartered for fraud/theft/corruption. But let's accept that they amount they stole is well matched by Thaksin et al - and ALL should face the consequences.

3. The idea that the amarta includes the current government - what the red shirts still refuse to accept is each MP currently was democractically chosen - again this is simply a case of double standards; was fine when PPP was in power but not ok now when the coalition lines have changed.

4. The idea that the amarta are the minority, and therefore by default the red shirts are the majority. Bollicks that the red shirts are the majority; rallies even with exaggerated numbers are not more than 1 million; a doctored petition was something like 3-5 million maximum - how is that even close to a majority - ah yes, it needs to be decided in an election....but the current government can exercise their democratic right to see the term through.

5. Female dominated. At the admittedly more thuggish April rallies there were a dearth of women; in the presentation of that stupid petition there were mostly men - I know politicially it sounds good to say female dominated, and there are indeed more women than men aged 30+ in Thailand anyhow; however it simply doesn't seem to be that the fairly militant group in Chiang Mai nor the thugs in Pattaya/Bangkok in April were more than a small % of women; is this a nice way to pretend the red shirts are peaceful all the time - because it certainly seems suspect how often this gets repeated when images on TV suggest a relatively even split of men and women at the (it must be said) almost all the rallies which are mostly peaceful if full of some horrid singing and pathetic public speaking; certainly not the 80% claimed here by some poster - never substantiated. It's just for PR this line, and it's a lot of rubbish.

This so called Amarta that the red shirts rally against; they cannot see that their hero and the hidden companies who backed him up and allowed him to become a billionaire as well as the PM - these are the unelected Amarta also. For instance can they not see the facts that creating hugely biased FTAs that the average citizen was affected by yet had no right to comment on, and yet the unelected business leaders were given free reign to create terms of FTAs to assist themselves was a prime example of the power of the business Amarta? Can they not see how CP is given free reign to do 7 11s while mum and pop shops and the foreign hypermarkets suffer?

I agree that the power needs to move to the people, and away from these elite - the main difference is a lot of the unelected officials are required as a tier of society - if the decisions go against Thaksin then THaksin complains about the unelected judges..... now what country has an electoral system for the judiciary? It would make zero sense. Thaksin also had zero problem appointing his own family/connections in the army/navy/airforce/police - people totally unqualified to do anything but again....apparently when it is against him it is the amarta, when he does it this is ok.

Thaksin and his mates at TRT were never part of the solution....they were part of the problem. His wife and Sudarat certainly didn't have issues with applying for and getting the glory of being the Thai equivalents of WAGs in UK. The wife even was willing to falsify documents using Khun ying (proven) prior to earning the title; caught out in the real estate scam that she ran when she and TRT backers L&H/Noble helped her to provide a lowball series of bids to acquire prime land at firesale prices. It is only because the decisions are bad that now the judiciary must therefore be 'influenced' by the amarta. As opposed to cake boxes one images, on the very non amarta style Thaksin. LOL

But again....red shirts don't see manipulation of an auction by the PM's wife as nepotism. Because it was Thaksin's wife. Other wives....not so good. His wife....OK.

Hmmmmm....... with this sort of reasoning, I'll keep my red shirt and english sign written mob signs plus bottle of petrol (as advised by Arisaman as a nice treat for Bangkok) in the cupboard for now.

Going back to your first line; there is apparently a divide between the true democrats and the elites. Two groups. That's it. Nice paint job; but I like to think in grey. I'm a true believer that everyone gets the vote; totally free press; deregulation; market freedom and a neutral judiciary. I believe in real justice, which is why some of the 110 politicians and Thaksin should be facing the death penalty as per China for corruption and skim, not just some baby step fine and time in jail.

So.....which one am I? Elite yellow shirter or pro democracy red shirter? One of the elite? Or one of them? I will ask again, as I have for a year now - if I really support democracy, and red shirts are about democracy, not about Thaksin, can I wear my THAKSIN GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL (do not pass go) shirt to their rallies? Because my friends in rescue services assure me that the violence against suspected non red shirters at some of their functions and in some parts of Thailand would make it not so safe to do so......anyone got some ideas?

Edited by steveromagnino

First bit of common sense I've read on these forums in quite some time.

No, Thaksin never used much discretion. He openly admits bribing red shirts for 500 baht a head on his sneaky little satellite TV propaganda shows.

They say there may be no evidence that there was a bribe offered, but common sense and deductive reasoning, along with a look at the past, would tell any man with a brain they prolly are trying to bribe their way out of having his money seized. Thats why he's so angry. Just look at any of those videos, he's vehement and vindictive, and spews forth range and threats (haha, then later denies it)

by the way, his "war on drugs" was real "discreet" wasn't it?

Who is offering the Alleged bribe, Red or yellow?

That's the question!

i will be not surprised if it's from the both sides!!!!!

Yes that seems as plausible as any scenario...

Though most likely would be the fugitive trying to salvage as much as possible.

A billion baht or 30+ million dollars is not inconsiderable...

a life time of easy for you a wife 2 more generations, and 20 or so mia nois at once.

All he needs are 5 firmly bought...

Our old friend has laid another statement on us and Steve has dissected it nicely.

I expect more of the same as the week winds down, or up...

There was a democracy movement well befor the last coup.

It actually created the last several years of democracy prior to that coup.

Sadly Dr. and his spurious Thaksinomics tried to co-opt that democracy

for his financial well being. The denouement of that action is now approaching.

Edited by animatic

Remember the Democrats took 236m Baht OFFICIALLY, being obviously to stupid to read the laws that only 30m are acceptable; and therefore actually must be dissolved. So now you guess how MUCH MORE went to 'individual party members' in suitcases without them dam_n ATM receipt? So to comment on "Mr Sitthisak said that if any bribe was accepted, the Thai authorities could trace it to its source by checking the money transfer route."

Yes sure, as easy as finding a non-prostitute on Nana after 9pm? How tf will they check every guy in the city with a suitcase? Yes we can trace the money... That insults the intelligence of a 10 year old!

At the end of the day, they're all corrupt, none the matter what color, they all wanna be close to the honeypot. Which means making policy for concessions and a business friendly environment (labor laws, social security standards etc.) checking the cash after-wards, not bank accounts... The big corporations have more than the GDP of some 'sovereign states' is.

Really wish the Thai's would start to look past the fake two faction game. It is business which DICTATES policy, not just since the term of globalization came up. When the British and French etc. left Asia after WW2 they were sure to put the right local people into key positions, why else would all those *X* meet up in Oxford and Cambridge again?

Edited by peacefulwarrior

OMG, Thaksin, This BrItish guy waiting for extradition after having allegedly stolen $ 150,000,000.00 and the Dubai authorities. Does anybody see any connection? It seems as if some in the Middle East and Dubai have the fingers in the stirring pot and of course with the help of former guys here who were involved in the coup and a certain Ministry.

Know the structures of governance in Muslim States.

The money (1 Billion Baht each) would undoubtedly be untraceable, to influence the majority of judges (5 out of 9) to vote favoring Taksin. The judges would likely have the money deposited to his son or daughter or Mia-noi's bank account. The Judges would probably be very greatful when when their son or daughter received all that money. Is it possible that those Judges may actually keep his money and vote in a proper way (Similar to some of my wife's family who took Taksins 100-500 baht to vote for Taksin but voted for their real choice instead).................. Let's hope so......................

No they will deliver it in person in a transparent and open manner like the last time. It is obvious that bribes can by paid that way. Just whip the money out right in the court room, what the hack. Where is that lawyer by the way? Who does he work for lately?

hmmmmm I seem to remember (under Thaksin) some seriously stupid restrictions placed on foreign investment monies coming into Thailand (due, supposedly to baht manipulation) which was quickly changed when the Thai stock exchange dropped by 16% overnight. I also think you need to factor in that Thailand (and Thaksin) were riding the world economic boom at the time and Thaksin's government happened to be ousted prior to the world’s financial market crash which affected just about every country on the planet. Thus I think it a little unfair to lay all the blame for Thailand’s current economic woes at the doorstep of the current government. The airport sit-in, can however be laid at their doorstep and certainly had a negative effect on the worsening Thai economy at the time. This of course is purely my own perspective and just a different one.

Your selective memory may be good but you fail to comprehend the economic problems that exploded globably last year. The problems were caused by risky investment schemes being exploited by the very large financial institutions in the US and many other countries dealing with primarily derivatives, based on real estate transactions that were being sold and insured for many times the actual properties and with zero collateral value which came due because of non-payment. The financial institutions then started hoarding money to try to improve their debt position. Credit then dried up causing further non-payment and the economy then had little or no short term capital to keep businesses running cascading into more failures.

I see little mention of Thailand liabilities in the scenario with the exception of the travel and tourism businesses saw a dramatic drop in revenue because there was a shortage of capital availble to fiance these ventures.

Thailand's problems stem from the 2006 events and the continuing instability of the government.

Please don't continue to try to re-write history. We all lived through and are living through it.

Regards,

In addition, there are those who allege bribes were paid for some of the following:

- getting daughters into Kaset and Chula when neither had the grades to make entrance

- getting son to avoid being prosecuted and getting media to keep quiet when son was caught cheating at Ram U

- using financial incentives to influence decisions in the cases of TPI, Phayathai Hospital both of which have subsequently ended up in TRT proxy hands

- using TRT funds to encourage small no name parties to stand in the null 2006 election (proven in court)

The list is endless.

But shouldn't end without the son who murdered an undercover police officer in a nightclub, disappeared to Cambodia for 2 years while the mess was cleaned up, and then re-appointed as an Army Lieutenant by PM Samak, no mention of 2 years AWOL while doing national service. That was a corker!