Overstay

My wife , Belgian national and I Dutch,both have a NON IMM. o-a Multy entry, went today to Nan immig.off. Our unpleassand surprise that my wife is 63 days overstay !!!!

In Nan the very kind lady told my wife " big probleme " you have to pay 500 Bath X 63 but with a maximum of 20.000 Bath.And you have to leave the country!

So ,she told us go to Vientiane and ask for new visa.So we have friend in Udon Thani but theye give us some information that iff you go out,pay the 20.000 B. and stay one night,cross again to Thailand you will receive at the border a " visa " for 9o days.

This still renew not the original visa.We do not have the 800.000 but an montly income 100.000 +

All documents are in Dutch.

Option go for the solution our friends in Udon told us ( after to be informed by imm.in Udon and Thai consulat in Vientiane ) OR go simply back to Belgium where we got the original visa.

To be complete : the visa of my wife expired at 09/07/2009 and by border crossing at MAE SOT prolonged with one year,but she went to Belgium and came back 22/11/2009 and got a stamp valid untill 21/12/2009 ( wich we overlooked ) !!!!!

Please advice !!!!!!!!!

Thank you , josef

OK it seems your wife left the country without a re-entry permit:-

To be complete : the visa of my wife expired at 09/07/2009 and by border crossing at MAE SOT prolonged with one year,but she went to Belgium and came back 22/11/2009 and got a stamp valid untill 21/12/2009 ( wich we overlooked ) !!!!!

This will have cancelled her permission to stay (as the original visa had expired) and she is now on overstay. The overstay fine is 500 Baht per day with a maximum of 20,000 Baht usually paid at the airport on exit.

So now she must start over. Best bet would be to get a single entry non-o (which will get her a 90 day stamp) from a consulate which you can then extend on the grounds of retirement provided you can meet the financial requirements.

I will leave it to others to state which consulates will issues a non-o on the grounds of retirement, worst case scenario would be a trip to Perth or your home country :)

When your Wife went to Belgium she should have applied for a Re Entry Permit. She would have been OK if she had one. Her permision to stay expired when she left and she got the usual 30 days when entering.

The usual advise is to leave Thailand at Bangkok airport and pay the 20,000 Baht fine.

She needs another Visa to enter.

The best she could do in the region would be a single Non Imm O Visa that would give 90 days or a Tourist Visa 60 days.

If she wants another O-A Visa she would need to go back to Belgium.

I think the best thing for both of you next time round would be for you to obtain a 12 month extension from Immigration based on retirement. You need 800,000 Baht in the bank or 65,000 Baht monthly income or a combination of both.

Your Wife could then get the same 12 month extension as your dependent without the financial requirements.

If there is only one 100k money channel only one will be able to obtain retirement extension of stay and the other will have to obtain dependent extension of stay based on that.

As you appear to be here on one year visa entry and do not provide a time when you will be making the change to extension of stay suspect she will need to visit Embassy in Vientiane (or other country) to obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa which will provide the 90 day entry on return (she must get the visa or only 15 days will be provided on entry). Once down to 30 days remaining she can use the funds (if in her name) to obtain retirement extension of stay. If the funds are no in her name but yours you may need to get the extension of stay for retirement (even if you have to go with her to Vientiane to obtain a new visa entry). Immigration is very strict on funds being in persons name for retirement.

Perhaps we can better answer if you provide:

Your permitted to stay until date.

Money in whose name? How much (there is a combination of bank account and income route available).

Do you plan return to Europe? Perhaps another OA is easier in that case.