Thaksin May Seek Justice From The World Court

webfact

Thaksin may seek justice from the World Court

BANGKOK:-- Ousted former prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra on Monday threatened to seek justice from the World Court if the local Supreme Court decides to seize his Bt76 billion frozen assets this Friday.

However, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Monday he could not see on what grounds Thakshin could seek justice from the World Court, and that he would not let the Thaksin's assets case turned into an international issue.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-22

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any reason Thaksin could not apply to the world court of justice if he does not get his desired result?

The local media have done an effective smear campaign,as if it was needed. That may lead to accusations of bias in respect of his accusers.

Abhisit says he would have no grounds for appeal to the WCoJ, why would that be? I would think a good international lawyer could whip up a fairly reasonable embarrassing case.

Grateful if one of the many forum lawyers could answer my queries.

^not at all, good to get rid of drug scum. :)

To state that you must have known personally each and every one of the 2,500 odd people killed - how else would you be able to state as fact that they were "drug scum"?

Truth is noone knows who these people were, nor their crimes - if they did indeed commit any. We'll never know. That's a crime.

Former Thai premier threatens to seek justice at world court

Posted : Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:54:11 GMT

By : dpa

Bangkok - Fugitive former Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra on Monday threatened to appeal to international courts if a Thai supreme court decides to order the seizure of 2 billion dollars from his family's frozen bank accounts later this week. On Friday, the Supreme Court for Political Office Holders is to rule on whether Thaksin concealed his shareholdings in his business empire while he was prime minister between 2001 and 2006 and abused his power to benefit that empire.

If found guilty, the court will confiscate some 2 billion dollars in Thai bank accounts frozen shortly after Thaksin was toppled by a military coup in September 2006.

Thaksin, who has lived in self-exile since August 2008, to avoid a two-year jail term on a previous charge of abuse of power, used microblogging site Twitter to warn Thai authorities of his plans to take his case to the international stage.

story continues: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/31...orld-court.html

-- earthtime.org

2010-02-22

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Once again, this entire affair has never been about democracy. Such a shame there are those who still continue to believe this is the case. Let's see, he appeals to the World Court and loses. What next, the red shirts declare war against the World Court.

^not at all, good to get rid of drug scum. :)

To state that you must have known personally each and every one of the 2,500 odd people killed - how else would you be able to state as fact that they were "drug scum"?

Truth is noone knows who these people were, nor their crimes - if they did indeed commit any. We'll never know. That's a crime.

Well don't even try to get 'Britmaveric' to see a logical discussion on this. He's be quite OK if his kids somehow got in the line of fire and got gunned down.

His response would be, don't worry, never mind, all for the greater good.

Nice values.

^not at all, good to get rid of drug scum. :D

Well don't even try to get 'Britmaveric' to see a logical discussion on this. He's be quite OK if his kids somehow got in the line of fire and got gunned down.

Nice values.

And somehow you know that 2500 odd people did not deserve it? I thought so.... NEXT. :)

Thaksin is removing all doubts as to his mental health. He's definitely a few kopeks short of a rouble. However, he has provided a good way to end the impasse though, bring him back in a strait jacket and bung him up in a rubber room. Let his supporters supply him with crayons and wipe the drool from his chin. What jurisdiction does the International Court of Justice have in this case? From its website: "The International Court of Justice acts as a world court. The Court has a dual jurisdiction : it decides, in accordance with international law, disputes of a legal nature that are submitted to it by States (jurisdiction in contentious cases); and it gives advisory opinions on legal questions at the request of the organs of the United Nations or specialized agencies authorized to make such a request (advisory jurisdiction)". Unless Thaksin has declared himself a State, or one of the UN organs intercedes on his behalf (and they hardly have a father-son relationship), his case won't even make it to the being laughed out of court stage. If the court were to accept a case like this it would be open to submissions from relatives of those killed by him in his war on drugs, those affected by, and having family killed as a direct result of, his bird flu cover up, those affected, and having family killed by his handling of the Southern insurgency, those cheated by him in business dealings, the families of those murdered by his political associates, and any one else with a case against him. He's running scared. He's lost his power, is certain he'll lose most of his money, and is rapidly running out of options. I'm just surprised he didn't threaten to take the case to the Cambodian high court.

Edited by ballpoint

Is there any reason Thaksin could not apply to the world court of justice if he does not get his desired result?

Yes, it's called lack of jurisdiction. First, Thailand is not a member of the ICJ. Being a party to the UN, only gives the ICJ jurisdiction to adjudicate "contentious cases between states", not states and individuals. Individuals cannot participate in contentious cases. ICJ Jurisdiction - Contetious Cases Second, the ICJ does not adjudicate private disputes. "The Court’s role is to settle, in accordance with international law, legal disputes submitted to it by States and to give advisory opinions on legal questions referred to it by authorized United Nations organs and specialized agencies." ICJ website Seizing Thaksin's assets is not a violation of human rights, therefore ICJ jurisdiction is not invoked. Absent this jurisdiction, the only way the ICJ can consider the case is if Thailand consents to jurisdiction or there is some treaty giving the ICJ jurisdiction. As there is not, Thaksin's case gets thrown out. End of story.

Which shows you what kind of a Prime Minister he was...

He doesn't even know what the relationship between

The World Court and his own country, and himself as an individual, is.

Clueless and grasping at straws....

It is this same lack of international legal understanding that got Noppadon removed

as Foreign Minister, for doing Thaksins business. He was told to do something

well beyond his pay grade, and never even thought to check if he COULD do this...

CEO dictates and the board room listens... which is fine in a boardroom,

but a government cabinet is another matter entirely.

Edited by animatic

^not at all, good to get rid of drug scum. :D

Nice values.

And somehow you know that 2500 odd people did not deserve it? I thought so.... NEXT. :)

I'm not saying they didn't deserve it. I'm not saying they did deserve it.

I'm not saying the weren't "drug scum". I'm not saying they were "drug scum".

I'm saying i DON"T KNOW. There were NO TRIALS. What's your secret? What makes you able to judge innocence / guilt despite knowing nothing whatsoever of each individual case?

Yes, it's called lack of jurisdiction.

Maybe Judge Wapner would be willing to come out of retirement and give him a hearing on The People's Court. :)

Yes I do know that some of the 2600+victims of Thaksin's extra-judicial reign of terror did NOT deserve it. I also know that claiming any democratic legitimacy after executing 2600+ people with no trial is laughable ... and truly dispicable.

What's your secret? What makes you able to judge innocence / guilt despite knowing nothing whatsoever of each individual case?

Just am Opinion, no more no less. :)

Happy to kill people based on nothing more than opinion. Says so much about you.

Life is not only short, it's extremely cheap for some.