Briton, Thai Killed In Head-on Bike Crash In Phuket

webfact

Briton, Thai killed in head-on bike crash in Phuket

CHALONG, PHUKET: -- A young British man and a Thai were killed in a motorcycle crash in Phuket early this morning. A Danish man was seriously injured.

Police found the bodies of Adam William Menagh, 22, and Chainarong Wathana, 24, lying on Chao Fa East Road opposite Soi Thanoothep in Chalong at 5:30am.

Mr Menage was in Phuket for Muay Thai training at the Suwit Gym in Chalong. He was due to fight at one of the boxing stadiums in Patong later this week.

A Danish man who was riding on the same bike as Mr Menage was also seriously injured.

A passerby took the Dane to Phuket International Hospital, where he remains in intensive care.

Police think Mr Menage’s motorcycle may have crossed lanes as he headed towards Phuket Town, colliding head on with Mr Chainarong’s bike.

Mr Chainarong, from Phang Nga province, was heading towards Chalong.

Both men were killed instantly from head trauma after the bikes collided at high speed.

Neither was wearing a helmet when the bodies were found.

The investigation continues.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-02-22

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I suppose that both motorcycles were found on one side of the road, giving the police a clue about who was in the wrong.

Please remember that two persons have died. Their families might be looking for more information and read this thread. My condolences to both famlies, and I hope the third victim will fully recover.

I don't care who was wrong. At ages 22 & 24, it is a painful tragedy.

In respect to the helmets, before weighing in, please remember that the force of impact can send a helmet flying off under some circumstances. It is not uncommon for a passerby to walk off with the helmet creating the impression there was none worn. As such, I think it best to wait until the Danish rider's story is heard, to at least be sure of the facts.

I note that a passerby took the Dane to the hospital. Thankfully, some people still have a sense of trying to help. As I recall from many a TV thread, there are those that would have left the injured person at the incident site. Sometimes it's not the wisest thing to move a seriously injured person, but in this case, with the passenger being in the ICU, it seems it was. Maybe it even saved his life.

RIP

December 1st, my friend who was staying in my home was killed similarly.

Poor guy lasted 36 hours more, but same result. The young, very drunk, Thai kid survived

with three broken limbs, but police said he was 100% at fault and not in his lane,

though the road was fresh asphalt and no lines were marked yet.

Kid was flying far too fast at night on the new road...

So this certainly strikes a nerve for me and brings back the memories.

In respect to the helmets, before weighing in, please remember that the force of impact can send a helmet flying off under some circumstances. It is not uncommon for a passerby to walk off with the helmet creating the impression there was none worn. As such, I think it best to wait until the Danish rider's story is heard, to at least be sure of the facts.

I note that a passerby took the Dane to the hospital. Thankfully, some people still have a sense of trying to help. As I recall from many a TV thread, there are those that would have left the injured person at the incident site. Sometimes it's not the wisest thing to move a seriously injured person, but in this case, with the passenger being in the ICU, it seems it was. Maybe it even saved his life.

Sorry, are you saying you are aware of motorbike accidents where the force of impact has flung off a properlry-fitted and well-made crash helmet?

What are they, so we can avoid buying them.

Edited by sharecropper

R.I.P Adam Bro.... I can't believe your gone, and taken so fast! I miss you already mate and this pain won't go away anytime soon... Can't believe I missed your call's last week, im so sorry I never called you back. Will miss you and not forget the good times we had, Love from Bangkok and all the guys back home in the UK too. Love u bro xxx

Sharecropper

1st line of defense is a metal strap clasp, not those plastic to plastic ones.

The plastic ones can just snap under the strain, good for a simple fall,

but a real crash forget it.

Then something resembling a DOT sticker if you can find one.

Most here are not as good as the west, but go to a large big bike shop

and several decent choices will be there.

I got a reasonable Index one at a big bike shop.

Air vents to allow it to cool so your glasses don't fog and your face doesn't drip constantly,

anti-reflection retractable visor so you can get some air at lights,

and it's a bit hard to pull apart to get it over the prescription sunglasses.

Full head, but not face... I can't deal with that chin guard in this heat.

Mchouk, sorry about your friend I know EXACTLY how you feel.

Edited by animatic

R.I.P Adam Bro.... I can't believe your gone, and taken so fast! I miss you already mate and this pain won't go away anytime soon... Can't believe I missed your call's last week, im so sorry I never called you back. Will miss you and not forget the good times we had, Love from Bangkok and all the guys back home in the UK too. Love u bro xxx

I’m really sorry that you had lost your friend. Can imagine how you’re feeling, let him rest in peace..

Very sad to see the comtinuing tragedies on our roads. It was carnage yesterday in Phuket. Besides the Brit & the Thai there were others yesterday. Just before 8am on Chao Fa West, nearby TOT, a young Thai man was killed & female passenger seriously injured when they collided with a vehicle as they turned on to the main road. There was almost certainly another death around 11am outside Tesco Lotus on the bypass as I saw rescue workers with a couple of sheets & starting to wrap up a body.

So sad mate....very sorry for all concerned.

I ride a bike everyday and I am aware of the dangers.

I try to ride defensively taking into account the mistakes of others, but really its all a bit of a gamble.

Shall we not jump to perceived conclusions here and show some respect.

Edited by soihok

Sorry, are you saying you are aware of motorbike accidents where the force of impact has flung off a properlry-fitted and well-made crash helmet?

Animatic has responded.

However, to answer your question, yes it can happen. We do not know if the rider was wearing a properly fitted and well made crash helmet. Until an autopsy is performed, and the police verify by asking the survivor and neighbors if the driver usually wore a helmet, one will not know. The SOP is to walk in expanding circles around a motorcycle impact to identify fragments and debris. You'd be surprised at how far shoes, keys, wallets, cell phones etc. are thrown due to the force of impact.

Although highly unlikely, well fitted helmets can and do pop off. If you have ever watched an American football game, one of the recent innovations is the X strap. It acts to prevent the loss of helmet at impact.

I used to accept these stories as reported but I have seen a couple files where the cause of death was significantly different then what was reported. Sometimes what we see on the ground has been tainted either because the body has been moved or the incident site has been otherwise adulterated.

All I am saying is that we owe the deceased a fair reading, before jumping to conclusions in the absence of a complete investigation.

Animatic has responded.

However, to answer your question, yes it can happen. We do not know if the rider was wearing a properly fitted and well made crash helmet. Until an autopsy is performed, and the police verify by asking the survivor and neighbors if the driver usually wore a helmet, one will not know. The SOP is to walk in expanding circles around a motorcycle impact to identify fragments and debris. You'd be surprised at how far shoes, keys, wallets, cell phones etc. are thrown due to the force of impact.

Although highly unlikely, well fitted helmets can and do pop off. If you have ever watched an American football game, one of the recent innovations is the X strap. It acts to prevent the loss of helmet at impact.

I used to accept these stories as reported but I have seen a couple files where the cause of death was significantly different then what was reported. Sometimes what we see on the ground has been tainted either because the body has been moved or the incident site has been otherwise adulterated.

All I am saying is that we owe the deceased a fair reading, before jumping to conclusions in the absence of a complete investigation.

Thanks for this and Animatic too.

Sad news.

Crazy not to wear helmets. :)

I am amazed that two motorcycles collided head on.............

I was expecting to read about a car or bus on the other end.

RIP.

I'm amazed astral that you are amazed about 2 motorcycles colliding head on, its absolutely no surprise for me, it seems commonplace in thailand for the centre of the roadway to have NO MEANING whatsoever.

It does happen, but thankfully rarely.

A friend of mine died in a motorcycle accident wearing an Arai that was torn off his head.

Unfortunately the Thais have made it a now well known habit of trying to implicate and hold responsible "good Samaritans" who stop and try to help. Especially farang good Samaritans.