Working In A Bar

I've been looking at possibly investing in a small bar in Thailand, but the requirements for Thai employees in order to have a work permit and my understanding of the limitations on the work I'd be allowed to do have discouraged me.

However, I've noticed recently that those limitations don't seem to apply everywhere. For example, there is a small bar on Sukhumvit a few doors from the Dubliner where a westener is often the only employee in the place, working behind the bar, serving drinks.

How is this done legally?

Back in 2007 Sunbelt wrote:

"I wanted to check with our legal staff first before commenting. Bartender is not a restricted profession and we have had cases before where foreigners applied for a work permit to be a bartender and were approved. They were not a F & B mgr, but were listed as a bartender. Of course the job description went into much depth why their skills were unique and needed for the business."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Work-Permits...mp;hl=bartender Post #8

-redwood

I've been looking at possibly investing in a small bar in Thailand

These are words that shouldnt go together, especially when talking about good investments.

You'd be better off buying long term bonds from USA........errr, hold on a minute, perhaps the bar isnt such a bad idea anyway.

Anyway, goodluck, make sure you do some research with your big head before you sink money into a beerbar in LOS. :)

Thanks everybody for your replies. Based on the Sunbelt information, it seems it is possible that it could be legal, but I was under the impression that 4 Thai employees were required in order to have a work permit?

Regarding paying "tea money", I find it hard to believe that a little open air bar that never seems to have more than a couple of customers is making enough to be paying off anybody much unless they are selling something besides alcoholic beverages.

Yes, you need 4 employees to get a work permit under normal conditions. I don't know if there are exception to that.

We have a couple of places here in Pattaya where (apparently) arab guys are selling kebabs. I never understand how they were able to get a work permit for that, or if they weren't, how they can stay in business so openly. I mean, these are not restaurants but a simple kebab stand on the sidewalk.

Edited by Phil Conners

if you are not bothered abouts where you are based you can get a perfectly legal work permit in Samui, as in Samui Immigration accept it. no need to employ 4 thais there either in practice anyway.. tea money ususally goes to the police and in Samui is about 7-10 thousand baht per month, however i think this only apllies if you have ladies working in the bar or stay open after 2am, either way wise insurance.. for work permit best lawyer is Samui Bussiness in Maenan (Suthep) he is a little more expensive but he will get you a no hassle work permit. you can work behind the bar yourself if you want, be sure to get all the required licience's and pay taxes.

just one other tip only put into the bar what you can afford to loose as you will surley loose it unless you can come up with something more orginal than English food english football and a few girls

Thanks everybody for your replies. Based on the Sunbelt information, it seems it is possible that it could be legal, but I was under the impression that 4 Thai employees were required in order to have a work permit?

Regarding paying "tea money", I find it hard to believe that a little open air bar that never seems to have more than a couple of customers is making enough to be paying off anybody much unless they are selling something besides alcoholic beverages.

I would count on paying in some form or another :) you should talk to other sbo's especialy bar owners before you make any decisions, all the nightclub/bar owners i know in bkk pay and or supply beverages to the boys on a regular basis.... dont underestimate your costs or your finished even before you have opened..... lot of that going on around here

for example :

i know at least one non girly nightclub owner that pays 40k per month, in the thonglor area

one in patpong with girls 20k a month

one in saphan kwai, pays in "free entertainment" nights for the local boys 10 -15 girls plus drinks for a party once a month

depending where you are will determine how much you pay... id expect minimum of 7-10k a month

Edited by tb86