Similan Diving In May

BusyB

Hey guys,

I aim to be in Thailand from 25th April till the end of May, my first time in rainy season, a deliberate choice because I want to see Thailand then as well.

After a few days arriving in BKK and shaking off the jet-lag :) I’d like to head out to Khao Lak on the 1st Mayand get some beach diving, buoyancy/performance checks etc, i.e. get wet again and update my EFR before going on a liveaboard around maybe the 6thMay.

I see a couple of diving oufits that operate into mid-May. They include similan-diving-safaris,  khaolakscubaadventures and seadragondivecenter.

1/ Anyone feel especially enthusiastic about any of these or any others I’ve missed  – any recommendations? They all certainly look aboveboard on the web. I tend toward similan-diving-safaris. Would that be a good call? Khao Lak Scuba Adventures strikes me as rather budgety, which is not my first choice here. 

2/  It’s the official rainy season. Does it always start promptly on 1st May? I read that services to the Similans are often cancelled due to weather and that May has the most rain. 

3/ Is it even worth considering a diving trip there in early May? Most dive companies seem to lower their sails end of April. What are the chances of a diving company having to cancel at that time of year? 

4/ I don’t mind challenging conditions, but I’m on holiday not a SEAL course. If the trip does go ahead, how likely is it I’ll find myself roller-coastering on mountainous seas with miserable diving visibility and torrential rain? :D

I appreciate no one can tell my fortune and the past is also no key to the future in this matter,but I’d be interested to hear of any experiences, recommendations  and general opinions of Similan diving in early May. I know from experience that Phuket's full of divers.

Many thanks and regards  :D

(PS I’ve chosen the Phuket forum ‘cos I can’t find a Khao Lak forum and I guess you’re the closest, best connected and most likely to have experience – or maybe a mod’ll step in and relocate this. :D )

Edit: separating shuntedwords

Edited by BusyB

I was on a liveaboard in the Similans in early May last year and it was brilliant. We got a bit of rain, but as is common in Thailand it only lasted for a short part of the day. Other days were bright sunshine. The diving was awesome - the rain makes little difference there. The dive crew knew the best sites to dive at that time of year and where the conditions would be best, and because there are so many options of where to dive in the Similans, it wasn't a problem. I am already booked to go back and do another liveaboard in early May this year because I enjoyed it so much last year.

Last year I went with Sea Dragon and they were excellent - professional, friendly and reliable. I have booked with them again for this year. I don't know anything about the other companies you mention so can't really comment.

I know that the seas can be quite rough at that time of year, making the trip from Khao Lak to the islands quite unpleasant, but last year it was fine. I'm hoping for similar conditions this year, but as you say, there's no guarantee with these things.

As long as you're prepared for the fact that there may be some rain and rougher seas, I would still recommend going at that time of year, based on my experience last year. It was a fantastic trip!

Thanks verymuch for all your replies so far.

Zorm999that’s just the kind of feedback I was hoping for – much appreciated.

:)

Does the same apply for Koh Surin, in early may BEFORE they close the park, obviously?

What about Phang Nga? Same Same?