Laap Nua

Totster

Laap Nua (beef)... do you eat it raw..?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My wifes family and most of the other villagers gladly eat their Laap Nua raw. My wife on the other hand will only eat it if it's cooked.

I'm not much into eating raw meat but I have tried it raw (beer had something to do with it) and it wasn't too bad, that said I do prefer it cooked.

I base my preference purely on taste and texture, however I'm sure some people may have concerns about hygiene.

totster :o

when 'som' then only 'raw'; sompong has discovered the joys of a microwave so he nukes the laab som which is really ghastly!!!!.... maybe i should be checked for trichonosis or liver flukes? i love the taste of raw meat (fresh not frozen thawed yuck)

A poll on eating raw meat in Thailand ! I have to wonder how some people survive in Thailand :D

Well.... I haven't seen anyone in the village get ill from eating Laap Nua raw.... and it's a daily occurance... I didn't have any ill effects when I have eaten it.... :o

I suppose as long as the meat it fresh and well prepared everything will be ok.. :D

totster :D

In our village we call the raw Laap Dip and the cooked Laap Sook. At a large dinner we have both and most people eat both...they're quite different. Left over Laap Dip (raw) is cooked into Laap Sook the next day, or even later the same day if it get old. Intestinal parasites do happen here and I assume they're from the Laap Dip. You know when you get them from the anal itch. You just go buy a de-worming pill and eat it just before bed. There are no side effects from the pill that I've ever noticed...like taking an aspirin really. Even if you don't get that tell tale itch we will take a pill every so often just as a general health practice.

Have you ever had Loo? It is like fresh blood soup. It really looks like a bowl of bright red blood with chunks in it. If you put some in your mouth and then smile you look like Dracula!!! REALLY!! The villagers know what Dracula is and some call this Dracula food! Different people cook it differently and usually it is somewhat sweet and not to my taste but I have one cousin who does a wonderful job of it and its even better than Laap Dip.

Last time back in the US I went to a steak house with my brother and I ordered a steak 'cold blue' which means 'as rare as we can do it and still be legal'. After we started our meal the waiter came back and asked how our meals were and looked at me quite clearly wondering what my reaction would be....I told him it was great but that the steak was a bit overdone......cracked him up....I told him about Laap Dip.....I think he thought I was kidding.

I've had raw meat before, in Sweden, where the temperature is not 42 degrees. It's ok.

To eat raw meat in this climate is asking for trouble.

Came across laap goong a couple of weeks ago beside the Mekhong in Loei. I was somewhat surprised when I lifted the unturned bowl on the plate and my dinner escaped heading back towards the river. At least I knew the prawns were fresh. They stopped moving once mixed with the chilli paste.

Came across laap goong a couple of weeks ago beside the Mekhong in Loei. I was somewhat surprised when I lifted the unturned bowl on the plate and my dinner escaped heading back towards the river. At least I knew the prawns were fresh. They stopped moving once mixed with the chilli paste.

:o:D:D

• 1 year later...

Question what is a sign of Liver Flukes or symptoms of liver flukes. By the way I am the king of making laap diep or laap lute. but scared for my insides.. with a background in culinary arts it is not healthy unless it is truely fresh and put some whisky down with it to kill any bacteria

• 3 weeks later...

"Came across laap goong a couple of weeks ago beside the Mekhong in Loei. I was somewhat surprised when I lifted the unturned bowl on the plate and my dinner escaped heading back towards the river. At least I knew the prawns were fresh. They stopped moving once mixed with the chilli paste."

I have a question about this dish for you.... cause I'm not sure if it was laap gung, or what they call Gung Taen - jumping or dancing shrimp ? GUng Taen is a tasty way to eat fresh, live, little glass shrimps where they toss them with lime juice, fish sauce, chillies, garlic, lemongrass, and cilantro. All of the shrimps are tiny. An inch long tops. Many are smaller, and many at a time fit onto a spoon - if they hold still and don't go jumping around.

When I hear the word laap, I think of chopped masses of meat mixed with herbs. In this case, if it's laap made of shrimp, I picture loads of shelled shrimp meat that gets chopped up, no shells, and definitely not alive. And then they'd mix it with herbs and all the other good stuff. I just want to differentiate and have this clear, as I write about Thai food. I have never heard of Gung Taen being called Laap Gung. If this is the case it is info I'm interested in. I wonder where the name changes and why ??? But that's if it does or not. DId you give the name to the dish, or did they ? Maybe ask your wife -assuming a TW - what she calls it and if she ever heard it called that, or even saw a laap gung.

Thanks

Question what is a sign of Liver Flukes or symptoms of liver flukes. By the way I am the king of making laap diep or laap lute. but scared for my insides.. with a background in culinary arts it is not healthy unless it is truely fresh and put some whisky down with it to kill any bacteria

I'm with you on that. When I eat Laap Dip, I always wash it down with a few 'whis-kee bom koh'.

I'll have to get some of those pills Chownah was talking about though!

I'm with you on that. When I eat Laap Dip, I always wash it down with a few 'whis-kee bom koh'.

Jasus.. the last thing the locals need is an excuse to drink lao kao.. :o

I've had raw meat before, in Sweden, where the temperature is not 42 degrees. It's ok.

I wonder how many people get sick.Asking for trouble is an understatement....

I guess those who are not used to it, and have not been already exposed to the bugs may get sick, but like I've said, it's almost a dailt occurance here, no one seems to get sick...

totster :o

I wonder how many people get sick.Asking for trouble is an understatement....

I guess those who are not used to it, and have not been already exposed to the bugs may get sick, but like I've said, it's almost a dailt occurance here, no one seems to get sick...

The raw version is eaten all the time here, never seen a local suffer any ill effects. I did eat some by accident once, it put me in the hong nam for three solid days.... (only the days were solid) :o

I like a bit of Dip with my Laap Nua too. :o

• 2 weeks later...

I like a bit of Dip with my Laap Nua too. :o

ive had it loei but they make it with raw dear and i really liked it

Freshly made raw, after that in my experience it is cooked.

My ex missus used to make Laab muu but she had to get up real early to get to the market to get the meat and pig's blood (great as I had to drive her there and back!). Freshly made we always ate that raw and it was cooked up later for the next day. I never suffered any ill effects apart from a few hangovers but I can't really attribute them to the laab muu. :o

• 2 weeks later...