Are Jobs Available

dreamtrotter

Hi,

I am 24 years old and looking for a teaching job in Thailand.

I have a 4 week onsite TEFL certificate and I have a BA degree.

Is possible to find a job with these qualifications? If yes, what pay bracket do I fall into?

I am an Indian and currently working in Nepal as a teacher.

Please advice what should my 1st step be towards finding a job in Thailand.

:)

Honestly - It might be difficult considering your nationality, many schools look for the white skinned teacher, as this is a requirement of the majority of parents. But, it is not impossible, look at the websites and maybe something will come up.

There are many other jobs open to Indians in Thailand, not just teaching.

As a fellow teacher I wish you luck

15-18K baht at a government school outside of BKK or the Island/beach areas. 20k in BKK.

I hate to say it, but beano is correct. You are going to face a lot of nastiness and racism no matter how qualified you are.

Now this doesn't mean every last school will turn you down, but if you are sincerely interested, expect to really have to search for a job.

it's utter BS, and I hope you find what you want.

I don't think the idea of colour of skin is viewed the way we assume. In general for most Thais I believe that light skin indicates a good education and professional background (they work indoors and aren't exposed to the sun) and dark skin indicates an outdoor life on a farm with limited education. These ideas are sometimes applied to foreigners as well, however I know many Western dark-skinned teachers working happily and successfully over here.

Best of luck, and yes racism is alive and well. Unfortunately, it really can't be justified regardless of what lame excuse they give. Add to that nationalism and you have a really interesting scenario.

I don't think the idea of colour of skin is viewed the way we assume. In general for most Thais I believe that light skin indicates a good education and professional background (they work indoors and aren't exposed to the sun) and dark skin indicates an outdoor life on a farm with limited education. These ideas are sometimes applied to foreigners as well, however I know many Western dark-skinned teachers working happily and successfully over here.

That may be true, but when was the last time you heard a Thai refer to an Indian as "Kohn Indii-a" and not "khaaek"?

Honestly - It might be difficult considering your nationality, many schools look for the white skinned teacher, as this is a requirement of the majority of parents. But, it is not impossible, look at the websites and maybe something will come up.

There are many other jobs open to Indians in Thailand, not just teaching.

As a fellow teacher I wish you luck

Thank you for your advice.

What are the other jobs available? Are Spanish teachers in demand as well?

Edited by dreamtrotter

Thank you for your advice.

I know the racial factor exists and is pretty strong, everywhere in the world. That does not mean there are no exceptions. We all know its not nice but we can do nothing about it. We also know that we all have a little bit of racist in us. We may deny it, but its true... ..

A private school in BKK has agreed to pay me 30k, provided I sign a contract for a year.Is that good news?