Chicken Racing

pnustedt

My wife owns some land in Isaan and, on a neighbouring plot, there is a plan to start chicken racing. My wife's sister is talking about providing some facilities - no doubt this will be a noodle stand, drink and toilets.

I've heard of cock fighting but never chicken racing - does anyone have experience of this? Is it legal?

I looked at some large cockerills in Bkk this weekend but think they were for fighting - not sure what the qualities are for a racing chicken. Any info. appreciated.

Guest IT Manager
It will be legal as long as they wear helmets.
Is there an ambulance standing by, or just a frying pan ?

and a few greens and a fried egg

:o .

That life time question answered What came first the chicken or the egg.

( see down )

A chicken and an egg are lying in bed. The chicken is leaning against the

headboard smoking a cigarette, with a satisfied smile on it's face.

The egg, looking a bit pissed off, grabs the sheet, rolls over, and says,

"Well, I guess we finally answered THAT question".

Chicken racing has been around in Thailand for many years.

Unfortunately it has been in demise due to lack of jockeys.

It's good to hear the chicken racing industry is to be revived, next year I hear first tuesday in november is the Khonkaen cup.

Best racing I've ever seen is the Australian Goat Race Championship held in the main street at Lightning Ridge every easter. What a blast.

goatracesladies.jpg

goatracesbrettrunning.jpg

The Novice goat races are the most popular, as they generally create a fair amount of spectator involvement. The starter stands behind the row of the 6 ferals, all nervously lined up in the racing gigs, with the jockeys proudly

adorned in racing silks, and facing up the main street from the Opal Cave end towards the Diggers Rest Pub. The moment the loud starter's gun goes off right behind them, the handlers release the horns of these great feral goats

and dive for safety, while the startled goats take off at incredible speed.

Unfortunately, they tend to not understand the purpose of the exercise and head off, not towards the finishing line but in all directions. Luckily, the spectators are protected by heavy plastic safety netting,

but despite that tend to scatter hastily, to the great amusement and applause of the other spectators.

Brilliant stuff TizMe - all is not lost in Australia then! Which state is Lightening Ridge, if ever I'm back in that neck of the scrublands? UK has it's fair share of racing the inedible, including pitting hounds against foxes (fairly even match, with odds mostly in the latter's favour), but my personal favourite is ferret racing. Mostly done down long plastic tubes with clear perspex viewing areas to check how your bet is doing, it's ahit at any game or country fair these days. Sorry I don't have any pictures to share with you, though I'm sure somebody with more time on their hands than me could probably ferret something out of Google. :D:o

Khonkaen cup is still on hold, depends on availability of jockeys.

only joking about cup, first tuesday in nov is melbourne cup, my attempt at wit.

Lightening ridge is in Queensland and they have ferret racing here in Adelaide about once a month at the Brickworks market, same deal down the plastic water pipe instead of perspex they have a wire mesh to join pipes and check on progress.

Give them your ATM card and PIN number and the first one to the machine wins.

That's not such a bad idea!

If we could get a bank to co-operate by issuing, say, 50 cards which can only access one ATM with a max. three total withdrawals - 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes and the girls have to remember the PIN #.

Have a start line a mile from the ATM, best in Sukhomvit. Can you imagine the fracass at the finish?

I didnt realise that it was a next day thing now, it's been a while since I needed one. Might see Jay this weekend down the temple for Loy Krathon will ask her how things are.

Poms are better jockeys than us anyway just ask them, second thoughts they will tell you.