Anyone Know Cheap Call Number From Uk To Thailand

dmax

we were using the 0844 200 9898 number for months happily with low bills coming in, then we looked at our bill one day and it seems they introduced a connection charge of 10 pence plus the 2 per minute charge . it was meant to be 1/2 pence per minute i thought, maybe they let it run for a month or two then suddendly up the rate when you think its still cheap.or can i use skype to call from my laptop to a thailand mobile and what would the rate be ?

anyway i would appreciate if anyone had any cheaprate numbers.

thanks

skype is 1.2p per minute to a landline using pre pay service but that's thailand > uk, whether it's the same the other way round i don't know. alternatively you can subscribe monthly for 2.95 pence per month and call both landlines and mobiles in thailand but use no more than 6 hours per day, 10,000 minutes per month...

call quality is usually very good

I subscribe to a Skype product called Skype Unlimited Country. For a flat rate per month (about 5.70 euro per month incl VAT), you get 'unlimited calls' to one country of your choice. In most countries, it applies only to landlines, but if your chosen country is Thailand, you can call both landlines and mobiles.

Technically, it's not unlimited - you have a maximum of 5 hours of calls a day and 100 numbers per day - but it's pretty good value. I think I worked out if you used every minute of your inclusive minutes it's less than six-hundredths of a cent for each minute. Even if you only used a tenth of that (1,000 minutes a month) it's still less than 0.6c (euro) a minute.

Sometimes calls can be ropey and get dropped, but you just re-dial - there are no connection fees. Everything is paid out of your credit card on a direct debit basis, either monthly, quarterly or annually. I'm guessing the quality of call to Thai phones you get is dependent on your broadband connection.

Up to you, but perhaps worth a 5.70 euro punt [translate into your own currency or get it from the Skype site] for a month to see how it goes.

The info is in this link:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/allfeatures/subscriptions/

I didn't see it mentioned here. If both parties have Skype, all calls are free. Skype is totally free to download and use if both parties have Skype.

If you have got the energy you can

google "UK cheap phone calls"

it really is that easy.

I was also using "Phone Cheap" on 0844 200 9898 and had the same trouble as you. But now they have changed the number to 0844 200 2525 and it's back to 0.5 pence a minute, so give it a try. ( you can still get through on 0844 200 9898 but not for 0.5)

Please remember it is the phone companies that add the extra to the 1/2 pence per minute VOIP calls in the majority of cases.

As I recall there is a site along the line of say no to 0870. Google it and see if there is a way around the phone company charging you the excess for connection.

Edited by tooninthai

I was also using "Phone Cheap" on 0844 200 9898 and had the same trouble as you. But now they have changed the number to 0844 200 2525 and it's back to 0.5 pence a minute, so give it a try. ( you can still get through on 0844 200 9898 but not for 0.5)

I used the 9898 number not 10 minutes before reading this post and i got the usual "welcome to phone cheap....call charges are half a p per minute" spiel.

Hence my asking the OP (and now i will ask YOU!!! :) ) if he was on a Virgin line as opposed to a BT line

Penkoprod

BT line,as I said you still get through on 9898

Yes, i know you said............i said i was greeted by the "welcome to phone cheap....call charges are half a p per minute" spiel.

So i dont know what to think

Penkoprod

I changed because 9898 was'nt at 0.5p and now use 2525 as per website, maybe you are still getting it for 0.5. But they must have changed the number for a reason

Since most of us on the fourm are in Thailand...anybody have any tips on calling out from here to other countries ?

I use CAT telecom card. Buy one for 100, 200, 300 Baht. Uses VOIP. Maybe not the cheapest but a handy card to have in your wallet to phone home, or to give a wife / g/f / loved one to phone you when you are away and it always tells you how much money or time you have left on the card when you dial.

OP, you aren't on Virgin network for your phoneline, by any chance are you?

Penkoprod

hi , yes we are on virgin network. i want to point out again that we can only call mobiles in thailand, the wifes family do not have landlines. thanks

thanks thats exactly what ive been saying in that we were calling phonecheap and it was half pence per min then when we were least expecting it the charges rocketed, usually our bills were coming in at around say £25 per mth and that was the wife calling her family like 3 times per week for 30-40 m ins, then all of a sudden we got a bill for £160, i called virgin to question the bill and they said the chreap rate number had now connection charges it also transpires that ntl / virgin bcable seen the numbers getting called from uk to thailand and they introduced a 10 pence connection charge ( the sneaky f****rs do not warn you before hand so beware of the cheap call rates)so i know this will happen again with ntl/virgin so maybe skype is going to be a better option.

My wife uses an international phone card purchased at most hamilton accie corner shops, it's called iphone, but nothing to do with apple, costs £5 and depending on what time of the day you call you get upto 5000 minutes, all you do is call a free phone number from a landline then enter the pin then the number in Thailand you want, it's the same price if you call a landline or mobile in Thailand. You can use the card with your mobile and all it will cost you is your free minutes.

Brigante7.

I use Virgin Talk anywhere 800 mins All calls to landlines and Mobiles are included for a flat fee of £29. You can go for 200 or 400 Mins for less money

You do have to add Talk international for £1.50 just in case you go over the 800 that way you wont be caught out like i was.

If you do go over the your paid for mins and you do not have Talk International You will pay £1.50 Per Min to Thailand

Talk International brings the call charge down to about 7 pence per Min. It's working for me £56.75 For TV basic package, Broadband size M and 800 mins per month

No more shocks I have tried Access Nos but noticed I got charged for connection, So it is just as expensive Never could get it down to much less than 4 pence

I'm telling you people - Localphone.

try it - you wont be dissapointed.

I used to pi55 about with those 0844 numbers until I discovered the gem that is localphone - no access numbers, no charging for no pick-up, no connection charge <deleted>.

just register then give localphone the international number you want to call and they give you a local number for your area - save it in your contacts and hey presto.

thailand is currently 0.5p per min.

Open an account with VOIP discount, Poivy.com or another of these cheap voip systems on the internet.

Check the local number to call into (local UK number)

Contact you mobile phone company and ask them a fixed price to call this number and certainly don't tell them this number is from voipdisount! (I pay € 10 to make UNLIMITED calls to one specific fixed phone number, in this case the one of voipdiscount)

And call your contact in thailand and elsewhere in the world for free and almost unlimited just by using two staged calling throught the voipdiscount free for your mobile phone dialin number...