Hifi Shows Anyone?

lennoxgilby

• 2 weeks later...
ai ai! 11-14 March is the hi-fi and AV show. This year at the Ambassador Hotel, Sukhumvit 11 (avtat.com). If anyone wants to meet up and go for a couple of hours let me know.

Is this the "What Hi-Fi" show? Do you know what distributor is participating the event? DECO 2000? I might go on Sat.

So did you get anything yesterday Carl?

I spent almost entire afternoon there but only at 3 DECO booths, one of them dedicated only to Nordost products with a Scandinavian sales rep from Nordost giving presentations and doing demo on both their cheapest AC, signal and speaker cables comparing it with their top-of-the-line Valhalla and a million baht Odin series cables. I'm not that big a fan of Nordost but was very keen on auditioning their Quantum Resonance Technologies QTX4 (power purification device) which they were selling for 100,000 baht with their power distribution block (power strip), which would normally sell for more than 158,000 baht a set. It seemed like such a good deal (cheaper than U.S.) that I almost took advantage of the promotion but ended up against it as they only gave 20% discount for QTX4 alone (didn't find a need to have 50,000 baht power strip) and upon multiple auditioning I've determined it's not such a big bang for money albeit numerous positive reviews. It just didn't exceed my expectation. I actually went there to buy Ayre AC cables, but upon learning there's no promotion on Ayre accessories I've ended up buying 60,000 baht's worth of Nordost Brahma AC cable and 12,000 baht's worth Nordost Silver Screen HDMI cable (2m). Couldn't resist 40% discount!

Edited by Nordlys

Seems like you still went on a bit of a spending spree there Nordlys! Yes I saw the Nordost man...he was enjoying speaking non-stop, but must have been very hard for the Thais to understand him. Even I had trouble. I thought the show was ok, although not enough good systems on demo. I enjoyed listening to the multi-million baht MBL and McIntosh systems only because they didn't sound as good as I expected, so made me feel better about my own system :-) However, when music is played on these systems that you can't really enjoy or assimilate with it's hard to really judge their quality.

I liked the new Wharfedales (attached) and just comparing their sale prices to UK prices - the Diamond 10.1 is 10,000 baht in UK, sale price here 7200! The Evo 2 8s are 32,500 in UK and 14,400 at that show.. I was also interested in the Clef (Thai brand) mains conditioners and Usher speakers.

post-19469-1268636040_thumb.jpg

post-19469-1268636240_thumb.jpg

post-19469-1268636693_thumb.jpg

Edited by CarlBkk

haha... aren't we all biased toward our own system? There was no question the demo set up sounded far better than mine (albeit the demo amp was integrated) but I kept thinking to myself "millions of baht and only this good?". :) True, it was really hard to judge the quality in that environment with all that noises, chatters, gears contaminating mains and home pro-grade wall outlets. I guess you ultimately have to home audition to determine the quality and I guess that's part of why I didn't buy XRT QX4 regardless the discount was so tempting it seemed like too good a deal to pass.

Yeah that Nordost sales rep had really strong Scandinavian accent it wasn't easy for me to understand him. Wonder what's with all that unprecedented bargain on high end gears? I wonder if that's because of the economy in US and elsewhere that has surely hit the market and slowed the sales that they are dumping products in markets outside U.S., Europe and Japan? Do you know Hovland (distributed by DECO 2000) has gone out of business in this recession?

Edited by Nordlys

Seems like you still went on a bit of a spending spree there Nordlys! Yes I saw the Nordost man...he was enjoying speaking non-stop, but must have been very hard for the Thais to understand him. Even I had trouble. I thought the show was ok, although not enough good systems on demo. I enjoyed listening to the multi-million baht MBL and McIntosh systems only because they didn't sound as good as I expected, so made me feel better about my own system :-) However, when music is played on these systems that you can't really enjoy or assimilate with it's hard to really judge their quality.

I liked the new Wharfedales (attached) and just comparing their sale prices to UK prices - the Diamond 10.1 is 10,000 baht in UK, sale price here 7200! The Evo 2 8s are 32,500 in UK and 14,400 at that show.. I was also interested in the Clef (Thai brand) mains conditioners and Usher speakers.

Who was selling the Wharfedales? I am looking to get some EVO30's. I can't believe I missed the show....