Patio/sala Speakers - How To Wire?

craigt3365

I want to put some speakers on my patio and also in a separate sala that is next to the pool. I don't have a receiver yet, so have 2 options:

1. Get a receiver with A/B speakers. A for the 5.1 inside with the TV and B for the outdoor speakers. Receiver will be inside.

2. Get a separate receiver for use outdoors.

The patio is quite large and I would like to put 4 ceiling speakers in the roof. I could go with 2 box speakers attached to the wall, but am leaning towards 4 ceiling speakers. Then I would like 2 speakers with volume control for the pool sala which is 10 meters away or so (have to have music by the pool!).

I am trying to figure out how to wire all this up. In my old home, I had a speaker selector box connected to the B speaker output. It controlled 8 sets of speakers, and had on/off and volume control for all of them. Problem was, it was inside. So if you were outside and wanted to change the volume, you had to go inside to do it. I eventually bought a volume control box for one set and that worked pretty good...but have not been able to find that here yet. I will try Piyanas in Sri Racha and see if they have that.

I like the idea of a separate receiver outside. But will they last long in this hot/humid weather? I live about 1KM from the beach. I would not buy an expensive receiver, but would not like to have to replace it every 2 or 3 years. Maybe I could put it in a cabinet outside?

Just curious as to what you guys think....so many decisions!

Also, saw a really nice set of outside speakers at Mahajak a few weeks ago. They were wireless and had a remote control. Not cheap at 10k Baht, on promotion. But might be an easier way to go. The sala/patio are not finished yet, so wiring everything up is still easy to do....

Thanks!!!!!!!

Craig

Have you thought about using something like Sonos, If you had an iPhone you would only need a single Zoneplayer to control the outdoor speakers and then you could control volume and song selection etc... through your iPhone.

The problem with using receivers is getting up to change volume, turn it on/off and switch CD's etc...