Thai Tourist Visa In Dubai

I hold an American passport and have been working in Dubai. I am a 52 year old, well dressed business man. I have been to Thailand many times but have only spent about two week there in the last three years. Well today was my last day of work from my company and I am getting ready to leave the country in a week. I figured I would make a stop in Thailand for a few weeks, not sure exactly how long, and spend some of the cash I have collected over the last two years prior to my return to America. Figured I would go all out this trip and I needed a little R&R. Well I think I have just changed my mind !

Just went to get a Thai tourist visa and had all the necessary paper work as required from the Thailand web site. Had the application printed and filled out, 2 pictures, color copy of my passport, and flight information for forwarding flight ( just in case needed). Well they said I needed to fill out a new form as my internet copy did not fill the page ( no problem, funny that other persons in office were doing the same). They wanted a copy of my current UAE residence visa ( I had so no problem, but why ?), They wanted my company documents, same like if I were getting a drivers lic or opening a bank account... Why ? They wanted a copy of my Thailand hotel reservations. They wanted a copy of my ticket..... I have had Thailand visas before but never had to go through anything like this for a tourist visa. So... screw them ! I will change my plans and go to a country that welcomes people with money to spend. I had to make the trip to get my visa with all required documents but then they want me to jump through hoops get just to get into the country. Put the requirements on the web site. Don't make it up as you go. Typical Thai BS.

I know that I can come in for 30 days just on my passport but this too could always be a problem. I lost faith in Thailand ! :)

On an American Passport this is not a problem.

Do you have any idea how many Americans are in Thailand? Many, many, many

Unless you plan on staying over 30 days, show up at the airport, walk through immigration with your passport and get your luggage, free to explore Thailand for 30 days

If you want to stay longer, do a visa run

This is not hard and the evidence is the 1,000's of Americans already here in Thailand including myself

It is not a problem to come in on an American passport unless you make it a problem or have some other previous problems here

It is quite simple, don't work yourself all up and try to over complicate matters

PS Check your attitude in at Immigration

Thailand is not here to serve you, you are a visitor and try to remember that and treat the country and people with the same respect a business man would want to be treated.

You are not the only only spending money here.

Many of us pay taxes, hire Thais and do a hel_l of a lot more than spend money once every 100 years

Edited by Nio

It is quite simple, don't work yourself all up and try to over complicate matters

PS Check your attitude in at Immigration

I don't know the OP so cannot fairly comment on his attitide but why did he have to jump through so many hoops to get a tourist visa?

If you have already been to Thailand, why not visit somewhere NEW, somewhere you havent been before. The world is your oyster......GO FOR GOLD.

I can think of hundreds of other places I would like to visit before I die & lets face it, this is what you have been working hard for, come here for what?

Enjoy.

The extra checks might have something to do with a person on the run who has been seen in that fair city a few times?

:)

That is funny..........but what happened to the OP isn't. And it is not "no problem" as another poster suggested.

It is a problem...........it is a major inconvenience.

It shows how messed up the current system is.........how xenophobic it has become.

It reflects a "we don't want you here" attitude (great for tourism and business).

I believe what the OP said and fully understand why he might now think twice about vacationing here.

And he know doubt has friends he is going to tell his story too..........and, obviously, it is posted here now for all to see.

The extra checks might have something to do with a person on the run who has been seen in that fair city a few times?

:)

That is funny..........but what happened to the OP isn't. And it is not "no problem" as another poster suggested.

It is a problem...........it is a major inconvenience.

It shows how messed up the current system is.........how xenophobic it has become.

It reflects a "we don't want you here" attitude (great for tourism and business).

I believe what the OP said and fully understand why he might now think twice about vacationing here.

And he know doubt has friends he is going to tell his story too..........and, obviously, it is posted here now for all to see.

I am not sure why this has happened but one thing for sure, there will be more people like me who think twice about spending their hard earned money in a place they are not welcomed. I have traveled the world and have never had to provide so much information, unbelievable ! I really don't get it ! And as it was suggested to check my attitude in at the gate...I am a positive, passive person who looks on the bright side of life, I have no attitude problem. I only spoke a few words to the young lady behind the counter ( all nice) before making up my mind to change my plans. At that point I just said thank you and headed out the door.

I am not even sure why I continue with this message except that I was disapointed and wanted to get some kind of answer to why this would happen. Perhaps Khun T is the problem.

Something missing from the OP's story.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Fed-Los-Want...63#entry2991463

2009-09-05 08:10:50

"After 13 years living in Thailand I made the move back home. It was mainly due to not enough work and money running low but I was also sick of the crime, police, visa changes and just day to day little crazy things. It was time to go ! ..."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Fiancee-Visa...57#entry3306857

2010-01-30 06:29:43

"After 8 months of paper work and waiting I finally got a US fiancee visa for my Thai love.. Well that was back in July of 2008. The very week we received the visa I was offered a position in Dubai that I could not refuse. Well I am about the leave Dubai with a little extra money in the bank for our future and am looking at a short tirp to Thailand and then on to America. I would like to get another fiancee visa and bring my love back with me. Has anyone been through this second process before or know anything about it ? Any info is welcomed. Thanks .... smile.gif wub.gif

And yes, she was heart broken that she was not able to come the first time. I have to make it up to her..."

"After 13 years living in Thailand I made the move back home. It was mainly due to not enough work and money running low but I was also sick of the crime, police, visa changes and just day to day little crazy things. It was time to go ! ..."

"After 8 months of paper work and waiting I finally got a US fiancee visa for my Thai love.. Well that was back in July of 2008. The very week we received the visa I was offered a position in Dubai that I could not refuse. Well I am about the leave Dubai with a little extra money in the bank for our future and am looking at a short tirp to Thailand and then on to America. I would like to get another fiancee visa and bring my love back with me. Has anyone been through this second process before or know anything about it ? Any info is welcomed. Thanks .... smile.gif wub.gif

And yes, she was heart broken that she was not able to come the first time. I have to make it up to her..."

Nothing missing from my story. I lived in Thailand for 13 years, back to US for a year and then Dubai. Now I am heading back to the US and want to see my fiancee. My fiancee (still together) is in Thailand. Now I am looking at other plans...What's missing other than logic in the Thai visa system. I will now plan

I'm probably being dumb here but I've had Dubai residency for the last 8 years, have been to Thailand many times and I've never applied in advance for a visa. Just turn up at BKK airport and walk in (I have a UK passport).

And as one of the posters has said, if you want to stay longer you can do a visa run.

Or am I missing the point?

The point is that the OP should be able to get a tourist visa from Dubai, where he lives now. He shouldn't have to fly to a third country on the way to Thailand or do a visa run once he arrives. Both these add extra time and expense that you should be able to avoid if you live near an embassy or consulate.

If you have already been to Thailand, why not visit somewhere NEW, somewhere you havent been before. The world is your oyster......GO FOR GOLD.

I can think of hundreds of other places I would like to visit before I die & lets face it, this is what you have been working hard for, come here for what?

Enjoy.

That was my immediate thought but he has his fiancee in Thailand. Via KL is your best option, wire her the money and she could go down there and meet up with you. Take her down to Singapore then up to HCMC, on up to Ha Noi, across to Vientiane and down to Phnom Penh. Could also try and fit Jakarta in as well if your really going to go for it.

Nothing missing from my story. I lived in Thailand for 13 years, back to US for a year and then Dubai. Now I am heading back to the US and want to see my fiancee. My fiancee (still together) is in Thailand. Now I am looking at other plans...What's missing other than logic in the Thai visa system. I will now plan

My point is you're not some average Joe American who's trying to get a tourist visa. Which your first post implies with statements like " I have been to Thailand many times but have only spent about two week there in the last three years."

You were a long time resident of Thailand up to less than two years ago. And one of your reasons for leaving Thailand previously was "visa changes"

So could your prior visa history in Thailand be coming into play here?

My point is you're not some average Joe American who's trying to get a tourist visa. Which your first post implies with statements like " I have been to Thailand many times but have only spent about two week there in the last three years."

You were a long time resident of Thailand up to less than two years ago. And one of your reasons for leaving Thailand previously was "visa changes"

So could your prior visa history in Thailand be coming into play here?

The girl at the counter just looked in my pasport for a few seconds at best. My past visa history was always on the up and up. All but the last year of stay I had a Non Im "B" visa. I don't think it had anything to do with the history. I could be wrong but I think they were basically requiring the same from everyone. I can't take it personally but it just gets under my skin. I saw this same BS years before, as you suggested, and it bothered me then. For it to come up again is just a reminder from the past. I have a few more days to finalize my plans but Thailand is not looking too great at this time.