Thaksin Vows To Continue Legal Fight 'Till The End'

webfact

GUILTY OF ALL CHARGES

Thaksin to continue legal fight 'till the end'

By THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra said last night that he would continue his legal fight in Thailand "till the end" before taking his fight overseas to the International Court of Justice, referring to an appeal against Friday's court verdict seizing part of his assets.

Thaksin, still angry at the verdict, accused the court of allowing itself to be influenced by someone he identified as the mastermind of the 2006 coup that brought him down. He also urged his supporters to join a street protest by the red shirts scheduled to begin on March 14, although he denied that he was behind the anti-government movement. Thaksin was speaking during yesterday's broadcast of his Internet-based radio programme "Talk around the World".

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-02

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Just before the judgement last week this man was saying he would respect the verdict and get on with his life. He was lucky the judgement did not take it all. please leave us all alone and get on with your life, if you can't do that there is always a pill, poison or a bullet.

I'm wandering which court Thaksin will appeal to. I understand that in Thailand he can only appeal if there is new evidence that was not available at the time of the conviction.

I can't see any international court taking an interest in this case as they miss the jurisdiction. Thailand is part to same international human right treaties, but in most cases not to the part that opens up the way to complain before an international court or tribunal.

Unless he has new evidence it seems the end of the legal fight is already there.

Just before the judgement last week this man was saying he would respect the verdict and get on with his life. He was lucky the judgement did not take it all. please leave us all alone and get on with your life, if you can't do that there is always a pill, poison or a bullet.

The first thing you learn about Thaksin, when you start observing him, is most of what he says are flat out lies. If you take what he says and reverse it's meaning, then you'll get closer to the truth.

If/when he goes to the Int'l Court of Justice (which is probably just another one of his hollow threats), he may get a sobering surprise - a warrant for his arrest for crimes against the Thai people. His 'war against drugs' and his gross mishandling of the two incidents in southern Thailand during his time as PM - resulted in hundreds of Thais dying without trial (many of whom were in custody when they died). Those sorts of crimes rank up there with those of Milosovic and Idi Amin.

Blah, blah, blah, blah blah...does anyone listen to this guy anymore? He's seriously deluded. The 'end' for him is never-never land. No wonder a 'certain power' doesn't want him anywhere near the reins of leadership here again.

Could someone do him a favour and whisper a bit of reality into his ear (like the fact that he's probably wasting his time seeking 'international justice'.)

I would not expect any less from this man. He has for sure more than two faces and now of them are pleasant and honest

Can someone just tell him wants a good fight just come back to Thailand and lest see what happens

Can we not ask the Israeli's to solve this.

I don’t think we need 27 Israelis to finish the job. I say we just send his ex-wife and kids. I bet in a week’s time he would jump from his condo to end the madness. 5555 karma ten fold...

What a load of rubbish and it makes me wish the journalists would check their facts before publishing a story. The facts are that Thaksin cannot use the International Court of Justice as the international court of justice can only hear cases brought by nation states and give advisory opinions on legal questions submitted to it by authorized international institutions and the UN General Assembly.

It will not hear a case brought by an individual!!

What a load of rubbish and it makes me wish the journalists would check their facts before publishing a story. The facts are that Thaksin cannot use the International Court of Justice as the international court of justice can only hear cases brought by nation states and give advisory opinions on legal questions submitted to it by authorized international institutions and the UN General Assembly.

It will not hear a case brought by an individual!!

I suppose he can use the argument he is elected leader of a nation state that was removed in an illegal coup, and since there has been not election since then he is still the elected leader.

I don't know how this will play out but it is possible he will use this angle.

before the flamers start about the rights and wrongs of this the fact remains he was the last leader of a democratically elected government in Thailand and the coup was illegal, if anyone doubts the legality of the coup then ask yourself why they changed the constitution to save them from criminal charges.

edit, put aside your personal feelings about him and deal with legalities here rather than your dislike of the man

Edited by tonywebster

I suppose he can use the argument he is elected leader of a nation state that was removed in an illegal coup, and since there has been not election since then he is still the elected leader.

Wasn't there an election in 2007???

If you say that wasn't a legitimate election (not counting what has happened since then), where do you draw the line?

I wish everyone who comments on the legality of elections, legality of government, when was the past election, etc, etc, would do some basic research first. There was an election in 2008, after which a government was formed, & the current PM then elected by parliament. All legal, end of story. If anyone believes the army, 3rd hand, or anyone in the current government were pulling strings then you must believe MR T & his cronies were also doing the same.

As another poster said you take Mr T's comments with a grain of salt as there are countless times in the past when he has promised to do one thing & then reneged on his promise. It seems he is quite willing to go as far as civil war if it will bring him back his power. I believe todays attacks at ATMs in Narithiwat were pre determined & nothing to do with copycat terrorists.

Edited by Valentine

I wish everyone who comments on the legality of elections, legality of government, when was the past election, etc, etc, would do some basic research first. There was an election in 2008, after which a government was formed, & the current PM then elected by parliament. All legal, end of story. If anyone believes the army, 3rd hand, or anyone in the current government were pulling strings then you must believe MR T & his cronies were also doing the same.

I totally agree ... except I did some basic research and couldn't find anything about an election in 2008.

Sorry my mistake. The current PM was elected in Dec 2008, by parliament, after the previous PM resigned. Yet this is still legal as per Thai law & parliamentry procedures. Despite Mr T & his friends claiming to be the champions of democarcy the methods they esposue are far from democratic, for example the blatant harrassment & even deaths of anti reds in Chiang Mai. The "legal fight" will no doubt continue but that should be it. Let justice run its course as it did when Mr T was exonerated of asset concealment. Nobody started throwing grenades about then.

3 posts deleted as being off topic. The question about legality of the current government has been discussed in others topics, it will not be discussed here.

I see. So any post affirming the legality of the current government is A-OK, any post questioning it is not.

Yes, there have been plenty of discussions regarding the legitimacy of the junta, just as the Nation brings out 3 articles daily about how guilty Thaksin is. And so there should be- the future of Thailand is at stake here.

This Thaksin is a psycho, with influence on people and still a lot of money and backup.

When I read today's Bangkok Post, they are talking about "end to the role of the amataya, or elite bureaucrats, in Thai society", the UDD declares the protest on Mar 14 as "people's war against the elite". Nasty stuff!

Unfortunately the majority is silly enough to follow the UDD for a few Baht. No political party ever improved the social and economic conditions in the rural Thailand in a sustained way so far, neither Thaksin nor anybody else.

As an expat working here, I really dislike this development and it will bring no good for Thailand I fear.

3 posts deleted as being off topic. The question about legality of the current government has been discussed in others topics, it will not be discussed here.

I see. So any post affirming the legality of the current government is A-OK, any post questioning it is not.

Yes, there have been plenty of discussions regarding the legitimacy of the junta, just as the Nation brings out 3 articles daily about how guilty Thaksin is. And so there should be- the future of Thailand is at stake here.

Yeah, but at stake thanks to Thaksin and his puppets, nobody else! What Junta are you talking about?

Cheers

No. Discussion about the legality of the current government is not OK in THIS thread, you can discuss it elsewhere. But not here, as it is already being discussed elsewhere and we don't need to discuss it in every thread about the political situation. And that is regardless of if you think the current government is legal or not.

Discussion of moderation is not allowed on the forum.

Actually, 1 post deleted was saying that the current government was illegal and 2 post deleted were saying that it was legal.

And your post and this post will get deleted as being off topic. So it's all still pretty even.

I wouldn't mind losing a court case and winding up with a billion dollars. ....and that's not counting a whole heap of other money he can put his hands on outside of Thailand - much of it probably borrowed money, but that's no unusual. Most rich people leverage their worth by borrowing as much as they can. ...and that's one prime reason the poor are getting poorer, and the rich getting richer.

And he has the audacity to prance around as if he's a hero for the poor - what gall! The 'Emporer's New Clothes' story needs a Thai equivalent - so perhaps Thai children will grow up with a healthy sense of the meaning of hypocrisy.

Blah, blah, blah, blah blah...does anyone listen to this guy anymore? He's seriously deluded. The 'end' for him is never-never land. No wonder a 'certain power' doesn't want him anywhere near the reins of leadership here again.

Could someone do him a favour and whisper a bit of reality into his ear (like the fact that he's probably wasting his time seeking 'international justice'.)

It is hard to see an international court that would have jurisdiction over essentially "fines" countries impose.

A more likely scenario is that most of the rulings that set new precedent will be reversed after an election is held. It is not clear when an election will be held but the next administration will have a lot to sort out.

I wouldn't mind losing a court case and winding up with a billion dollars. ....and that's not counting a whole heap of other money he can put his hands on outside of Thailand - much of it probably borrowed money, but that's no unusual. Most rich people leverage their worth by borrowing as much as they can. ...and that's one prime reason the poor are getting poorer, and the rich getting richer.

And he has the audacity to prance around as if he's a hero for the poor - what gall! The 'Emporer's New Clothes' story needs a Thai equivalent - so perhaps Thai children will grow up with a healthy sense of the meaning of hypocrisy.

Amen!!! From the choir now how do you get it to the people? That's where the ball is always dropped.

Edited by junglist