UK Pound Collapse 47.99 against the Baht

cavelight

It'll be interesting to see if the standard of the bird the average corned-beef-skinned, beer-bellied, bow-legged Brit retiree wearing sandals with socks can pull in the bars holds up now that the exchange rate playing field has been leveled. :)

Nothing funnier than the sight of a Brit with his chest puffed out, strutting home proudly, hand-in-hand with a bar strumpet in tow while looking for some kind of affirmation or acknowledgment of his “prowess” from passing farang men. "Yeah mate, I KNOW you want 'er" :D

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is . If you buy a bottle of beer in the U.K pub resturant or bar ,then you will pay 3-3.50 pounds .

If you multiply 3x 47 = 148 you can still but a bottle of singha for 40 bhat in Pattaya new Plaza .

Most bars in Pattaya charge between 40 - 65 bhat . With exeptions of the few ridiculessly priced bars

That means you can get drink at a third of the price in Thailand ( bargain )

ok I am new to Pattaya I first came here 6 years ago 76 bhat for 1 pound ( even better bargain )

The truth is if the pound dropps to 30 bhat for 1 pound that means a bottle of singa will cost

30 bhat = 1 pound

40 bhat would be 1.33

Come on 1.33 for a bottle of beer 1.33 is that not cheap .

Ok befor it might have cost 50p so what if it costs 1.33 now

Are you going to stop comming to Thailand because beer is 1.33

If you do you are cutting your nose off to spite your face

GET A LIFE . LIVE IT . WHATEVER THE FINANCIAL BURDEN

AND MOST OF ALL SMILE :)

Total crap why bother posting it?

What percentage of drinkers drink bottles in UK bars? People drink bottles in Thailand because there is one choice.

A pint of lager in Birmingham is about £2.25 and suspect most other places except shitty London, if your going to compare London then compare it to Bangkok at least and not cheap skate New Plaza.

No 40-65 is not the norm in Pattaya, thats only on New Plaza.....the norm is 80-90 for beer bars. Your not going to sit on New Plaza all your holiday are you?

I can go down Tesco and Asda to get boxes of beer cheap as chips...15 bottles of bud £7.99...24 cans of strongbow £7.99....and get pissed at my mates, what does that compare to Thailand from the 7-11? About the same or cheaper? Remember it's a third world country.

The thing is . If you buy a bottle of beer in the U.K pub resturant or bar ,then you will pay 3-3.50 pounds .

If you multiply 3x 47 = 148 you can still but a bottle of singha for 40 bhat in Pattaya new Plaza .

Most bars in Pattaya charge between 40 - 65 bhat . With exeptions of the few ridiculessly priced bars

ok I am new to Pattaya I first came here 6 years ago 76 bhat for 1 pound ( even better bargain )

The truth is if the pound dropps to 30 bhat for 1 pound that means a bottle of singa will cost

30 bhat = 1 pound

40 bhat would be 1.33

Total crap why bother posting it?

What percentage of drinkers drink bottles in UK bars? People drink bottles in Thailand because there is one choice.

A pint of lager in Birmingham is about £2.25 and suspect most other places except shitty London, if your going to compare London then compare it to Bangkok at least and not cheap skate New Plaza.

No 40-65 is not the norm in Pattaya, thats only on New Plaza.....the norm is 80-90 for beer bars. Your not going to sit on New Plaza all your holiday are you?

I can go down Tesco and Asda to get boxes of beer cheap as chips...15 bottles of bud £7.99...24 cans of strongbow £7.99....and get pissed at my mates, what does that compare to Thailand from the 7-11? About the same or cheaper? Remember it's a third world country.

£2 a pint for good ale in s**tty london. Which is like 1.5 bottles of Heineken I think. So it's about the same as Thailand now.

Starbucks? £1.75. CoffeeWorld 100 baht.

Then again try and get good Somtam for under a quid in UK. Or pay a tenner a month for electric.

If for argument's sake we take the figure of 25 bht to the pound as being proposed by some, could all the UK expats living in LOS on fixed incomes still survive. Probably not, so they'd have to go back to the UK ( and that'd cause a HUGE problem there ),

Problems like what? A load of elderly miserable moaners will disappear into the landscape quite quickly once their tans fade. The only obvious difference will be that their wives are more desirable.

What a mad conversation anyway, I mean 25!

Mind you 45 is getting closer and closer, and what about the Euro? Looks like the baht is unstoppable.

The Euro and the Pound crashing has nothing at all to do with the Baht, it has to do with the debt of the U.K. and many of the EU members and the loss in faith of those 2 currncies :) Should Obama remain on the destructive fiscal course that he is currently riding, the U.S. Dollar will be the next casulty, of course by that time all 3 major currencies could be nearly on par with each other :D

If for argument's sake we take the figure of 25 bht to the pound as being proposed by some, could all the UK expats living in LOS on fixed incomes still survive. Probably not, so they'd have to go back to the UK ( and that'd cause a HUGE problem there ),

Problems like what? A load of elderly miserable moaners will disappear into the landscape quite quickly once their tans fade. The only obvious difference will be that their wives are more desirable.

Problems like the cost to the NHS, for starters ( as old people are the largest users of health care, a few thousand elderly people returning to the UK will really put the pressure on an already overstretched public health service service ), housing for seconds ( there's already a shortage of affordable accomodation ). Then there's the things no one really thinks about, like free public travel for over 60's. How much extra would that cost the councils?

What makes you think that their wives/ families will be coming with them? Would UK immigration allow them in if there's no accomodation/ jobs etc to support them? Someone I knew had a problem getting his Phillipino wife in, despite him having a good job, as he didn't have "suitable" housing.

IMO it's more likely that many will be abandoned in LOS.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

30 bhat = 1 pound

40 bhat would be 1.33

No I wouldn't stop coming because of the price of beer, but realistically, there are many who won't come as it's just no longer affordable to spend a holiday in LOS.

If it cost 100 quid to have a good time last year, but this year it costs 200, who's going to come unless they've got a very good reason.

Before, I used to stay in hotels, travelled to beaches, spent heaps in GoGos etc.

This time, I'll be living with my TGF in her 3000 bht a month room, be lucky if I can afford a beach holiday, and forget the GoGos.

My point is, if I didn't have a TGF, why would I bother coming to LOS, as it just wouldn't be "fun" anymore.

It'll be interesting to see if the standard of the bird the average corned-beef-skinned, beer-bellied, bow-legged Brit retiree wearing sandals with socks can pull in the bars holds up now that the exchange rate playing field has been leveled. :)

Nothing funnier than the sight of a Brit with his chest puffed out, strutting home proudly, hand-in-hand with a bar strumpet in tow while looking for some kind of affirmation or acknowledgment of his "prowess" from passing farang men. "Yeah mate, I KNOW you want 'er" :D

Hmmm, I wonder how much "barbeer" experience you have? I've never known there to be a price differential between "good looking" bar girls, and "not good looking" bar girls.

Actually, I doubt his chest is puffed out because he's "looking for affirmation of his prowess", I'd say he's just happy that he's got a pretty girl to spend the night with, rather than the fat unattractive slag he'd have to be satisfied with back in the "home" country.

This is getting silly.

How about starting afresh. Can someone think of a sensible economic scenario whereby in 5 years time the rate will be over GBP1:Bt55?

Yes, I can :)

Yes but I can tell it is going to be silly from the smiley. Say like a 20 billion barrel oil find in Basingstoke.

The Euro and the Pound crashing has nothing at all to do with the Baht

Ive read several of your posts and this one proves you havent got a clue what you are talking about.

The EURO hasnt crashed v the baht its about as it was 5 years ago when i was getting paid in it, and it certainly hasnt crashed v the dollar its higher then it was 1 year ago, though it has gone down in the last couple of months ... please look at charts from the last 6 months year, 2 years 5 years and since it came into fruition and then come back and tell me its crashed.

This is getting silly.

How about starting afresh. Can someone think of a sensible economic scenario whereby in 5 years time the rate will be over GBP1:Bt55?

Yes, I can :)

Yes but I can tell it is going to be silly from the smiley. Say like a 20 billion barrel oil find in Basingstoke.

Or the Falklands

Nothing funnier than the sight of a Brit with his chest puffed out, strutting home proudly, hand-in-hand with a bar strumpet in tow while looking for some kind of affirmation or acknowledgment of his "prowess" from passing farang men. "Yeah mate, I KNOW you want 'er" :D

Hmmm, I wonder how much "barbeer" experience you have? I've never known there to be a price differential between "good looking" bar girls, and "not good looking" bar girls.

Actually, I doubt his chest is puffed out because he's "looking for affirmation of his prowess", I'd say he's just happy that he's got a pretty girl to spend the night with, rather than the fat unattractive slag he'd have to be satisfied with back in the "home" country.

I can't claim to have much in the way of "barbeer" experience in Thailand given my aversion to bar girls and their . . .er . . . idiosyncrasies. Suffice it to say, though, that if one looks in the trash, one willl often find garbage and that is not something I'd be inclined to puff my chest out about !

This is getting silly.

55? maybe!

UK returns to solid growth of 3-4 % per annum primarily through the recovery of service and financial sectors assisted by manuafacturing. Inward investment spirals as big business gradually returns and along with it confidence in the currency, then the return of interest rates. Govt pays down debt by a mixture of raised taxes, spending cuts and selling off RBS, and LLoyds.

The Thai factor is more difficut to predict.

It's quite realistic and certainly all economies recover sooner or later.

This is getting silly.

55? maybe!

UK returns to solid growth of 3-4 % per annum primarily through the recovery of service and financial sectors assisted by manuafacturing. Inward investment spirals as big business gradually returns and along with it confidence in the currency, then the return of interest rates. Govt pays down debt by a mixture of raised taxes, spending cuts and selling off RBS, and LLoyds.

Problems like the cost to the NHS, for starters ( as old people are the largest users of health care, a few thousand elderly people returning to the UK will really put the pressure on an already overstretched public health service service ), housing for seconds ( there's already a shortage of affordable accomodation ). Then there's the things no one really thinks about, like free public travel for over 60's. How much extra would that cost the councils?

What makes you think that their wives/ families will be coming with them? Would UK immigration allow them in if there's no accomodation/ jobs etc to support them? Someone I knew had a problem getting his Phillipino wife in, despite him having a good job, as he didn't have "suitable" housing.

IMO it's more likely that many will be abandoned in LOS.

You dont honestly believe all that you wrote, do you????

All that will happen is any expats will be at the back of a VERY long queue for anything other than a kick in the <deleted>.

All that happens at the NHS is they keep shuffling some people from waiting list to waiting list, and from consultant to consultant, until they either die waiting, "or piss off back to where they came from" in the case of expats. There are leaked reports of whoever wins the election will cut a lot of front-line jobs and operations such as hip replacements etc. Things like concessionary travel will be means tested soon anyway.

Housing??? you're having a laugh aren't you?? The councils have NO legal obligation to house anyone who made themselves "intentionally homeless"....Google the phrase, and you will see if describes almost all of any returning expats to a tee. If, by some miracle a council takes pity on an expat, then the best that expat can hope for is an LDA in some sink estate, full of drug addicts, vandals and assorted ne'erdowells. What a wonderful way to spend your twilight years huh?

Penkoprod

This is getting silly.

I'll be in a minority. 5 years is a long timescale. Within 2 years I believe is a slightly more realistic timescale, or sooner, maybe a lot sooner. I don't see the long term forward investment happening in Thailand, if I were a multinational would I still be looking at opening up a new production line ? Costs have increased massively, the infrastructure is shaky, the corruption rampant and the political situation....easier to tattoo a soap bubble than predict whats going to happen there. So what looked like a stable investment 10 years ago is becoming less stable and I need stability. Vietnam is looking useful, government very helpful, infrastructure improving out of all recognition when we plucked for Thailand. And lets face it, I'm not in it for the long term, when the going gets tough I get going....to where the going gets easier. Will Thailand survive without me ? Of course it will but my competitors will also be thinking along similar lines, can't let them steal a march on me and setup elsewhere at lower production costs with increased reliability and stability.

To address the other side of the coin, sterling has been written off more times than I can count, and recovered. Could be different this time. Or not. Second only to the USA in Nobel prize winners, not bad in patents either, probably no bad move if it were to look towards its innovation and lose its dependence on the city money markets.

End of the day I just find any prediction of where the baht will go to be something that is based on faith rather than logic, just too many potential pitfalls in the current situation. Time LOS wakes up to it they might find the circus has moved on.

I am not so pessimistc about the £ as some on here and do not really forsee the doomsday scenario of 30 baht to the pound as being likely.

It seemed that the Governement/Bank of England's tactic was to purposely devalue the currency as a tactic for the consequences of the recession ie. make exports cheaper, encourage tourists, and favour home production/produce etc.

It seemed whenever there was good news about recovery, with a consequent rallying of the currency, Mervyn King (Gov.of the BofE) made a point of saying something pessimistic. to keep the £ low.

Add this to the uncertainty of the forthcoming election with even the prospect of a hung parliament, god forbid, and the currency remains weak.

After the election and with recovery consolidated, the pound will surely rise. I believe I read somewhere that we are in the top six of exporting countries in the World. So much for us not producing anything. It seems fashionable to play down the UK's prospects, but this is fantasy, not fact. We have massive debts. Who hasn't? But we have the means to pay them off in time. The "state-owned" banks are already starting to pay money back to the treasury and it is early days. Unemployment is lower than expected. Tax receipts higher.

I prefer Thailand, but not at the expense of running down my own country at any opportunity.

Nothing is certain and currency markets are volatile and like the stock market are subject to the slightest rumour. The obverse is true. It will take a bit of positivity and the pound will rally.

However, 70 per pound seems as unlikey as 30 to the pound at the moment. I predict 55 by this time next year, maybe slighly more if the unrest here gets out of control, which looks more likely by the day.

I hope it is not wishful thinking for OUR ( exs living on UK income) sakes and ultimately for Thailand's. An export led economy like LOS cannot live with an inflated currency for too long. Even if this inflation is due to the weakness of others, as has been suggested above.

Edited by chimsa

55? maybe!

I think 'quite realistic' is going a bit far maybe 'quite imaginative' would be a better phrase.

I mean the last time that UK GDP growth exceeded 4% was 1994.

It is hard to imagine much growth on the back of...

1) higher taxes

2) Lower Government spending

3) higher interest rates

4) an appreciating currency

And 'Government pays down debt' isnt even a policy of any political party as far as I know.

I am not so pessimistc about the £ as some on here and do not really forsee the doomsday scenario of 30 baht to the pound as being likely.

It seemed that the Governement/Bank of England's tactic was to purposely devalue the currency as a tactic for the consequences of the recession ie. make exports cheaper, encourage tourists, and favour home production/produce etc.

It seemed whenever there was good news about recovery, with a consequent rallying of the currency, Mervyn King (Gov.of the BofE) made a point of saying something pessimistic. to keep the £ low.

Add this to the uncertainty of the forthcoming election with even the prospect of a hung parliament, god forbid, and the currency remains weak.

After the election and with recovery consolidated, the pound will surely rise. I believe I read somewhere that we are in the top six of exporting countries in the World. So much for us not producing anything. It seems fashionable to play down the UK's prospects, but this is fantasy, not fact. We have massive debts. Who hasn't? But we have the means to pay them off in time. The "state-owned" banks are already starting to pay money back to the treasury and it is early days. Unemployment is lower than expected. Tax receipts higher.

I prefer Thailand, but not at the expense of running down my own country at any opportunity.

Nothing is certain and currency markets are volatile and like the stock market are subject to the slightest rumour. The obverse is true. It will take a bit of positivity and the pound will rally.

However, 70 per pound seems as unlikey as 30 to the pound at the moment. I predict 55 by this time next year, maybe slighly more if the unrest here gets out of control, which looks more likely by the day.

I hope it is not wishful thinking for OUR ( exs living on UK income) sakes and ultimately for Thailand's. An export led economy like LOS cannot live with an inflated currency for too long. Even if this inflation is due to the weakness of others, as has been suggested above.

A well thought through and balanced post but I'm not sure about the sentence that is highlighted.

What a mad conversation anyway, I mean 25!

Mind you 45 is getting closer and closer, and what about the Euro? Looks like the baht is unstoppable.

The Euro and the Pound crashing has nothing at all to do with the Baht, it has to do with the debt of the U.K. and many of the EU members and the loss in faith of those 2 currncies :) Should Obama remain on the destructive fiscal course that he is currently riding, the U.S. Dollar will be the next casulty, of course by that time all 3 major currencies could be nearly on par with each other :D

You're wrong on that point Vic.

I am afraid to inform you it is totally 'wishful thinking'. Take any single economic fundamental you can think of PPP, C/A, fiscal position, debt, growth and the baht looks undervalued against GBP.

I dont get gooey eyed about the UK. When did it last have a current account surplus - say about 30 years ago - that was when it had some oil. It has been almost 10 years since a fiscal surplus and now the structural deficit is some 9%.

Realistically the only way GBP should appreciate is with a massive austerity package which would go most of the way to eliminate current deficits but also eliminate growth. Given the current debt position though, the UK is almost certainly to devalue and inflate.

Almost by definition if you are an export led growth country it is because your currency is undervalued and if you are a debt led growth country you probably arent really growing at all.

Can you elaborate?

Can you elaborate?

The implication of Vic's statement is that the Baht is only strong because the Euro and the Pound are weak and that is not a representative picture. If you remove the Euro and the Pound's weakness from the equation, the Baht is still strong because of the Thai economy at present. Somebody will come along in just a moment and tell us that in order for one currency to be strong it must be measured against another, so before they do I will say that the Baht has been gaining against against USD for some time and it has been doing so on its own merits and not as some would have you believe, artifically.

The implication of Vic's statement is that the Baht is only strong because the Euro and the Pound are weak and that is not a representative picture. If you remove the Euro and the Pound's weakness from the equation, the Baht is still strong because of the Thai economy at present. Somebody will come along in just a moment and tell us that in order for one currency to be strong it must be measured against another, so before they do I will say that the Baht has been gaining against against USD for some time and it has been doing so on its own merits and not as some would have you believe, artifically.

Although it is still lower against the US dollar than it was two years ago.

The Euro and the Pound crashing has nothing at all to do with the Baht

Ive read several of your posts and this one proves you havent got a clue what you are talking about.

The EURO hasnt crashed v the baht its about as it was 5 years ago when i was getting paid in it, and it certainly hasnt crashed v the dollar its higher then it was 1 year ago, though it has gone down in the last couple of months ... please look at charts from the last 6 months year, 2 years 5 years and since it came into fruition and then come back and tell me its crashed.

I never said that the Euro has crashed vs. the Baht, in fact if you read a little closer next time you will notice that I went out of my way to say the the crashing Euro has nothing at all to do with the Baht :) Nor did I say that the Euro had crashed against the Dollar ( you will have to wait a few more months for that), I said that the Euro and Pound are crashing (i.e. in the process of crashing!!!) :D The Dollar rate was over $2.10/Pound less than two years ago and now it is around $1.48 (give or take) to buy that same Pound, the Euro was $1.60 not all that long ago and now it is around $1.33 (give or take),now that certainly looks like a crashing Euro and Pound to me :D When will the Euro and Pound have completely crashed? I guess we will not know that until it bottoms out and begins a sustained rise! I will say that there are many more currency experts on both sides of the pond that view the possibility of the Euro/Pound/Dollar getting to par now than there were just a few months ago. Next time you want to say that someone hasn't a clue, please have a friend who understands the English language read the post you are replying to for you, it may very well save you the embarrassment next time :D

Can you elaborate?

Wrong again there chiang mai :D The implication of Vic's statement is just as it appears, and that is the Euro and Pound crashing has nothing to do with the Baht, after all the Baht an inconsequential currency in terms of the world currency trade. The Euro and Pound are crashing vs. the worlds only reserve curency, the Dollar :D How strong or weak the Baht may get in the future has no bearing whatsoever on the fact that the Pound and Euro are currently in a severe downdraft with no bottom in sight :D I fully understand that European and Brit expats residing in the LOS are very concerned with the crashing Pound and Euro, especially since the Baht has been appreciating against the worlds reserve currecncy for the past 3 years or so, this makes the depreciation of those two currencies that much worse. Also I never said that the Baht was not appreciating on its own merits, as a matter of fact in past posts I have stated that the BOT is doing everything reasonable and prudent within their power to make sure that the Baht does not appreciate too much, because if it were left on its own the Baht might very well be at 27 or 28 to the Dollar currently :D

Also I never said that the Baht was not appreciating on its own merits, as a matter of fact in past posts I have stated that the BOT is doing everything reasonable and prudent within their power to make sure that the Baht does not appreciate too much, because if it were left on its own the Baht might very well be at 27 or 28 to the Dollar currently :)

VegasVic, if you wish to stop your currency appreciating, being reasonable and prudent is not a good start. You would have thought the BoT would have learnt something from 1997.