Burmese Tortoises

I promised a good friend back in the States I'd look for a few Burmese Tortoises for him. I just don't know where to go or who to contact. Can anyone connect me to an exporter? I don't want anything illegal.

My friend is a registered breeder and professional in the States. This isn't about finding a pet. Can anyone help? Thanks. :o

• 6 months later...

udon, the pic u have looks like my 'sulicat' sahel desert land toirtoises we have at the zoo (captive born)

very hard to id turtles toirtoises etc just by looking unless u are a turtle expert... there are so many variations even among the same species from desert to mountain varieties...

please all people be responsible to wild pet ownership CITES lists etc.... i can safely say that at my petting zoo we do not keep, purchase or sell any endangered species that are not captive born and obtained thru legal means (my israeli wild mammals are licensed and registered with the soc. of protection of nature) even if it is a lot more expensive, and i know of animal smugglers who smuggle from thailand (snakes lizards etc) and i boycott them and always call to all small zoos to boycott said smuggler/dealers ....

'nough said...

bina

If I can add my 2 baht worth.

The Burmese Star Tortoise (Geochelone platynota) is becoming extinct in its native Myanmar (Burma). It lives in the dry, deciduous forest, and is eaten both by the native Burmese, and is traded to the Chinese, where it is sometimes found in the food markets. It is on CITES Appendix II, meaning a permit from the country of export is required. Reportedly, Myanmar has never granted a export permit, meaning most captive bred are originally from illegal tortoises, or imports grandfathered in prior to the CITES listing.

This tortoise can easily be distinguished from the more common Indian Star Tortoise by comparing the plastrons of the two species. It is considered critically endangered by the IUCN's Redlist. One recent expedition searched for the Burmese star for 400 hours, and only found 5 tortoises. This was with specially trained dogs and 5 volunteers.

Sorry, I don't know how to post the pics of the Burmese Star Tortoise here.

• 4 years later...