Cooking With Limited Resources

withnail

Currently I own a rice cooker which I never use and an electric wok/steamer which is a pain in the a*** to use because you can only do one thing at a time and it's messy.

I'm considering buying a microwave. Although I only ever used one back in the UK for ready made meals I understand that you can make pretty much anything in them without making too much mess.

Anyone got any good tips for making the most of these limited resources to make decent meals. (Think pissed up single man just getting back from the pub that needs stodge and quick!)

Personally, I'd never use a microwave for cooking, only re-heating or defrosting (if in a hurry). Anyway, buy a microwave and a small freezer. Fill the freezer with pies (meat and tatty, steak and kidley, steak and onion, chicken, etc.). Take one pie out of the freezer before you go to the pub. When you get home, put the pie in the microwave for a few minutes and voila. It may be prudent to install the microwave at floor level.

When you get home, put the pie in the microwave for a few minutes

You can get treated for the resulting burns to your mouth at the "outpatients" department.

.............strange thing is the pie never seems that hot on the night.

:o

Edited by thaiflyer1

When you get home, put the pie in the microwave for a few minutes

You can get treated for the resulting burns to your mouth at the "outpatients" department.

.............strange thing is the pie never seems that hot on the night.

I remember it well. The outside pastry is warm and the contents are hot enough to melt steel! But that was my pre-Asia days.

I thought this was the "food" board?

Frozen suet pies are not food? :D

Guy get urself a wok, then head on over to B2B get a book on EZ wok cooking and you will be good to go...

Most larger supermarkets carry ready to cook THAI and ASIAN foods, cleaned, chopped, add a little oil and voila!

Also you can do an amazing amount of things with the wok...think lovely omelette, perhaps a light repast of stir-fried chicken with cashew nuts-

• 3 weeks later...

I sympathise with you. Am in similar situation. Love Thai food, but live in apartment house, 2nd floor. Inherited micro oven from former owner; don't use it except warm up whatever has been getting too cold in the fridge, like oil.

I too have an electrical stove; it doesn't take a wok so I just boil things. But that's not the major problem.

The major problem is that even if it did have the means, I just wouldn't dare stir-fry on the balcony. I know Thai people do it all the time, of course, it's only natural. But I'm from Europe, and if you fry or grill something on your apartment house balcony someone will put YOU in a fryting pan. AND report you to the health authorities, and various other authorities, including the police. And the fire department. And you'll end up in jail.

We must boil on, I fear.

I sympathise with you. Am in similar situation. Love Thai food, but live in apartment house, 2nd floor. Inherited micro oven from former owner; don't use it except warm up whatever has been getting too cold in the fridge, like oil.

I too have an electrical stove; it doesn't take a wok so I just boil things. But that's not the major problem.

The major problem is that even if it did have the means, I just wouldn't dare stir-fry on the balcony. I know Thai people do it all the time, of course, it's only natural. But I'm from Europe, and if you fry or grill something on your apartment house balcony someone will put YOU in a fryting pan. AND report you to the health authorities, and various other authorities, including the police. And the fire department. And you'll end up in jail.

We must boil on, I fear.

The upside is that as long as you boil your food instead of frying it, your cholesterol will remain a lot lower.

(Think pissed up single man just getting back from the pub that needs stodge and quick!)

Why??? Just buy something from a real cook. After all that is one of the advantages of living in Bangkok - food is never more than a few meters walk. :o

The S&P frozen meals are good for emergency rations.

Anyone got any good tips for making the most of these limited resources to make decent meals.

For some inexpensive variety, try mixing in some fruit with your stir frys. Some mixes of onions, peppers, garlic, chilies and pineapple, papaya or mango are awesome!

Anyone got any good tips for making the most of these limited resources to make decent meals.

For some inexpensive variety, try mixing in some fruit with your stir frys. Some mixes of onions, peppers, garlic, chilies and pineapple, papaya or mango are awesome!

You can buy toasted sandwich makers pretty cheaply in Thailand - then you can get all 3 food groups - bread, cheese, meat!

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone got any good tips for making the most of these limited resources to make decent meals. (Think pissed up single man just getting back from the pub that needs stodge and quick!)

1 sliced baguette+ salami+sliced tomato +cheese ,High power 30-60 secs

2 instant noodle = boil water in bowl +miced pork +instant noodle (change to rice you will get porridge) ..u can add other meat or veggies, optional

3 sliced banana (or pineapple) + butter + honey > High power 1-1.30 mins or till welldone , topping with whiping cream

etc ..

bambi :o