20,000 Monks Tipped To Join Red-shirt Rally On March 12

webfact

What evidence is there that the army fired anything but blanks at the red arsonists, brick throwers and drunks on Black Songkran?

<insert jab at English language press> but you may recall the excellent photo series posted by a Western freelance photo journalist, showing bullet holes, and injury to protesters. I believe one person died, but don't recall the circumstances.

What is to stop the reds from doing the same again?

I assume you've seen the press release which claims they learned form past mistakes and plan a peaceful protest. But what will actually happen is anyone's guess. The irony is also that if nothing much happens, then the usual suspects on this forum will change their tune and say the Reds have lost steam and momentum. :)

Either way, we'll see soon enough. I for one sincerely hope that everyone will abide by the direction set out by the UDD leadership.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A final reminder that mention or discussion of The Monarchy in a political context or discussion is expressly forbidden by Thai law. Posts have been deleted and further violations will result in account suspensions.

Abhisit telling monks to basically stay at home and denying them to express their opinion is just another example of Thailand's already shattered human rights record.

Muslim Imams dirty their hands in politics and Bishops sit in the House of Lords.

Its times like this we ask..

What would Sifu Do ?? :)

Probably don a blue shirt and a mask over his face - I recall those guys being very good at hand to hand combat in Pattaya too. Interesting how Sifu is also from there. Was the Yellow "SWAT" Hummer at the scene of the last lot of rabble in Pattaya?

Abhisit telling monks to basically stay at home and denying them to express their opinion is just another example of Thailand's already shattered human rights record.

Muslim Imams dirty their hands in politics and Bishops sit in the House of Lords.

I do think that it is unfair to compare Monks with Imams & Bishops.

Islam and Christianity are the basis of many laws in which "Islamised" and "Christianised" countries operate under, e.g. though shalt not kill. Also, the Church in particular has long been both the sheild, but also the sword of the west for a long time. Both religions are as similar as they are foreign to each other.

There are fw similarities between Buddhism & the two above mentioned religions. Thailand does not have a history of monks "fighting", either morally or physically for regime change (though I am quite possibly wrong, please do educate me if I am).

IMO, the Buddhism really does have a chance to shine, by becoming a mediator in the current situation and perhaps even a moderator in government. For now, the Monarchy has done a great job to stabilise things, which is a reason I admire his Lordship the King.

The Monks in Burma marched because they are faced with an opressive, anti-democratic regime. There is relative freedom in Thailand, where most (with exceptions acknowledged) can live their lives without political interferrence. I would find it hard to respect Monks marching on March 12, for any side.

Yellow, Red and now Orange. Can't wait to see the full spectrum.

If at all, the monks are seen at these rallies, will make me wonder, are they real monks or someone wearing orange rob and shaved head? A true monk will have no interest what so ever in such political stunt.

:) Just my 2 satang view.

What have we all come to? This illustrates a state of paranoia in these forums. People making wild accusations about one color or another without one tiney bit of evidence.

I think it is particularly shameful to see suupposed Buddhists questioning the monks motives.

Whatever happens will happen? We should all hope that the outcome will lead to equality for all segments of society.

Update:

PM receives reports on planned sabotage, but hasn't invoked security law

He said volunteers from the Interior Ministry would be dispatched during the demonstration while police and other security-focused officials were ordered to exercise extreme restraints from intimidation which would be created by the protesters.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-03-06

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

why the 'authorities' have to rely on 'volunteers'?

IMHO, i think there is more to worry about these "volunteers from the Interior Ministry" than about some monks practicing their civil rights.

deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban said, "monks should not take part in the planned mass anti-government rally next weekend as it is not their affair".

I find this statement odd. Are the monks not Thai? Are they not a part of the citizens daily lives, and assume leadership roles in their social lives?

Monks by their very nature are 'supposed' to have withdrawn from daily secular affairs

and the ways of the world to contemplate the Buddhas teachings and raise their enlightenment. By participating in this secular, of this world, political rally, they in essence breaking their basic vows. If their vows are pure, then it IS none of their affair.

It's not a question of whether monks are 'Thai' or not. They've taken vows, many of which remove them from worldly pursuits such as politics. Head monks who ask/tell their flock to march with the Reds (or any other political faction) should be disciplined. Again, I would be very surprised if there's not money getting channeled to head monks and/or wats in return for the favor of having them march with the protesters. And yes, monks and head monks are influenced by offers of money.

Wow 20,000 Monks!!!!! If this many turn out they will outnumber the "red shirts".

My Issarn wife's family and friends use to think that "Mr T" was a great person and accepted that corruption was a part of Thai culture, however since he closely aligned himself with Hun Sen they will have nothing more to do with him. My father in-law has even disowned him by now declaring "he not Thai he Chinese".

Wow.!! My Issan wife says they same thing... Once Cambodia was associated with Chief Criminal Thaksin the whole village dropped him like a hot potato.

It will be very interesting to see what happens at the next election. Surely, the number of Thaksin lovers will be waaaaaay down from the hyped numbers the Red Shirt leaders would have us believe. It's like marketing tomatoes. A farmer will take his absolute biggest and juiciest tomato to show to prospective buyers. But when it comes time to delivering a shipment, they're all regular little ones.

What evidence is there that the army fired anything but blanks at the red arsonists, brick throwers and drunks on Black Songkran? What video? What credible eyewitnesses- someone from major news organization? I was down on the corner of Rajaparap and Rang Nam and what I saw was soldiers firing blanks to stop the red idiots from sending burning buses into petrol stations and throwing bricks at fireman. What is to stop the reds from doing the same again?

For credible reports, I tend to go with eyewitnesses such as Netfan. My observations, from afar, of the Pattaya debacle and 'Black Songkran' fit with what Netfan and others reported seeing on the scene. Credible.

Plus, whether or not there are monks at the march, you can bet your TV remote that violence perpetrated by the Reds will be denied after the fact. They've done it before, and they'll do it this time. It's like their 'get out of jail free' card. Simple. Whenever Red Shirted rowdies are shown on video throwing molotov cocktails or otherwise trying to create as much havoc as possible, the Red Shirt leaders (particularly Thaksin) can simple wave it away by saying it was others dressed in red shirts who were trying to make the Reds look bad.

IMO, the Buddhism really does have a chance to shine, by becoming a mediator in the current situation and perhaps even a moderator in government. For now, the Monarchy has done a great job to stabilise things, which is a reason I admire his Lordship the King.

The Monks in Burma marched because they are faced with an opressive, anti-democratic regime. There is relative freedom in Thailand, where most (with exceptions acknowledged) can live their lives without political interferrence. I would find it hard to respect Monks marching on March 12, for any side.

These extracts below from a scholarly study may provide an idea of why it's not hard to find a large number of monks sympathetic to a Thaksinesque cause.

Many scholars and critics have pointed out that the commercialization of

Buddhism has resulted in the moral decline and dishonourable scandals within the

Sangha. Santikaro Bhikkhu, an American monk living in Thailand, in an article in

Asiaweek, discussed how many Thai monks have become corrupted by monetization. He mentions that money has replaced Buddhist moral values in the Sangha and this has resulted in the decline of the monastic discipline.27 Over the past two decades, the Thai press has published many articles and reports concerning scandals involving the Sangha.

Instances of Sangha misconducts include a wide range of scandals such as corruption,

embezzlement of temple property, drug abuse and sex scandals.

The present trends of Thai Buddhism are appalling to the Thai community. It

seems that an increasing number of monks have been ‘consumed’ by consumerism. A

long series of much publicized reports on scandals within the monkhood and the

perception of the increasing commercialization of the religion have together created

“widespread popular disenchantment with the established monkhood and fuelled a search for alternative, less tainted forms of Buddhism”.32 Therefore, much has to be done by the Sangha authorities to restore the pride and status of the Sangha in the Thai society.

http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/ugsoc/his/Journa...nd_Scandals.pdf

Wow 20,000 Monks!!!!!

If this many turn out they will outnumber the "red shirts".

My Issarn wife's family and friends use to think that "Mr T" was a great person and accepted that corruption was a part of Thai culture, however since he closely aligned himself with Hun Sen they will have nothing more to do with him.

My father in-law has even disowned him by now declaring "he not Thai he Chinese".

Wow.!! My Issan wife says they same thing... Once Cambodia was associated with Chief Criminal Thaksin the whole village dropped him like a hot potato.

The Cambodia move, that is their only reason not to be supportive anymore?

That 'move' wasn't exactly what could be called a big eye opener for now turned ex-admirers from a former Thaksin admire state of minds. They are not much smarter now and it is still the argumentation of a simpleton.

If some narrow-minded nationalists who focus only on Thaksin and nothing else and don't be concerned about the bigger picture behind it will leave the 'red movement' it is good for the movement itself A movement which is in my opinion more complex than that it could be just reduced to a or seen as Thaksin fan club.

What evidence is there that the army fired anything but blanks at the red arsonists, brick throwers and drunks on Black Songkran? What video? What credible eyewitnesses- someone from major news organization? I was down on the corner of Rajaparap and Rang Nam and what I saw was soldiers firing blanks to stop the red idiots from sending burning buses into petrol stations and throwing bricks at fireman.

After nearly a year, zero evidence. However, the UDD/Red's did get condemned for their actions and created a huge loss of face for Thaksin internationally.

Some Bangkok-based diplomats suggest that Thaksin's post-coup reliance on discredited politicians and rogue military and police elements to push his agenda has further undermined his already questionable democratic credentials. That, they say, will conspire against any future Thaksin bid to portray government suppression of UDD protesters bent on violence as an anti-democratic crackdown deserving of international censure - as he attempted in the chaotic wake of last April's riots.

Thaksin and democracy? Personally, I don't think so as well.

The US, for one, was publicly critical of the UDD-led April riots and has recently told the group’s representatives that Washington puts diplomatic priority on law and order, according to a source familiar with the discussions. Underscoring Thaksin's closing exile options, one Bangkok-based official notes that his US visa has expired and that he would likely be held in "secondary" confinement if he attempted to enter the country.

He isn't getting much support on the world stage. He is only fooling himself.

Source: Asia Times

A thanks is owed to the many posters who have stayed on-topic and kept their posts respectful.

The thread will continue to be monitored closely.

I am no expert on Buddhism either in theory or in practice. First, we don't know how many monks will be attending and second, they may have a variety of reasons for attending and some of those may not be political. In short, they may be able to reconcile their attendance and their precepts.

What evidence is there that the army fired anything but blanks at the red arsonists, brick throwers and drunks on Black Songkran?

<insert jab at English language press> but you may recall the excellent photo series posted by a Western freelance photo journalist, showing bullet holes, and injury to protesters. I believe one person died, but don't recall the circumstances.

I assume you've seen the press release which claims they learned form past mistakes and plan a peaceful protest. But what will actually happen is anyone's guess. The irony is also that if nothing much happens, then the usual suspects on this forum will change their tune and say the Reds have lost steam and momentum. :)

Either way, we'll see soon enough. I for one sincerely hope that everyone will abide by the direction set out by the UDD leadership.

From what I remember, 2 died, but they were locals that were trying to protect their possessions.

Ofcourse there may have been red shirt deaths, *but they were probably hidden by the corrupt government*. (btw ... that's a sarcastic comment).

It isn't going to end on the 14th. If not many turn up, then they will get violent to get a response from the army. If they get as many people as they are expecting, they will cause chaos by blocking roads and bringing Bangkok to a standstill (more of a standstill than usual). There will be violence. In every large group, there are thugs looking for trouble.

The government will not disband how ever the weekend turns out. But they are in a no win situation. Either they are weak for not doing anything to stop the disruption, or they are heavy handed when they try to stop the disruption.

I read an interesting comment stating that "if the government can not handle a million people coming to Bangkok then it should step down". What city in the world could handle an influx of a million people?

Whether you believe the government is legitimate or not, while they have been there they haven't done too much wrong. They believe they are legitimate, so they won't be rushing to call new elections. IMO, the reds should let them run their term and then vote in the next election. In the mean time, work to get rid of corruption on all sides of the political spectrum, and even at all levels of Thai society.

Blazes- please outline the programs the Reds have proposed to close this imbalance that so troubles everyone. What are their plans for education? Health care? Increasing minimum wage? Dealing with China cutting off the Mekong River? Farm subsidies? Please enlighten us. And again, I want a report from the one who tells Chalerm and his family you are going to re-distribute his wealth. :)

I don't know...you tell me...after you have neatly side-stepped the main issue: is there a case for "revolution" (however defined...if only to define it as "radical" , that is, a root and branch change in the way this 'democracy" works).

Or should I assume, from your list of questions, that you are in favour (I hope so) of radical changes (for the better, however defined) to education, health care, minimum wage, Foreign relations, farm subsidies, and last but most important, the re-distribution of wealth?

I haven't sidestepped anything. Are there inequities? In what country are there not? Do those inequities justify the violent overthrow of the government or would the country be better served by waiting for an election? Or will you invoke the "they did a coup so we can do a revolution" argument? Anyway, its debatable whether the situation in Thailand is so dire that a French style revolution (where the revolutionaries have no plan other than off with their heads) is warranted. I ask what the Reds plan is because I have never heard a plan, other than to pardon Thaksin and get his money back. I have never heard them talk about anything positive. I thought maybe you had and could open my eyes. But obviously you haven't heard their plans either. Are you just going on blind trust that they will make things better? What about their wealth re-distribution plan? Where does it start? Where does it end? Is it going to be like Zimbabwe or Cambodia'sin 1975? Or Germany's in the 1930's? And again, I'm serious, do you think Chalerm is going to let his wealth be re-distributed? Cause he's in line to be PM IF a UDD backed government is elected. Shouldn't he and Thaksin be leading by example? Come to think of it, I have never heard "wealth distribution" mentioned by by any Red leader in terms of their own holdings - only the money of "the elite". Oh, we're back to sounding like the French Revolution again. hmmmm

Edited by Netfan

i see yesterday mark had one of Taskins friends arrested who is a General in the army, all very publicly with loads of armed commandos around, why could they not have done it in a more discreet manner. i admit i am biased towards the PPP i personally dont like the term red shirts and yellow shirts, for me its the democrats and PPP. they are the plotitians involved. i used to be pro Marks lot but he is just a front man for a gangster from down south. a lot of the tv programmes at the moment are making jokes about him being the puppet. taskin was his own man and second to none as a business man and leader. from a personnel point of view my father in law is on a life support machine at the moment, all for 30 baht, without Taskins polocies he would be dead. try telling his family Taskin was no good.

basically if all PPP polotitions were counted and all the Democrats were counted there would be more PPP members, in my eyes that makes them the people who should be leading the hung parliament.

as for the issue of the Monks protesting a quick google search will show that Monks have always joined in protest, including China,India, Tibet,Burma etc etc.

come on you REDS

whoops just realised its Sunday, i am going to get a hammering from all the guys sat in front of PCs back at home in the cold.

Edited by NALAK

I haven't sidestepped anything. Are there inequities? In what country are there not? Do those inequities justify the violent overthrow of the government or would the country be better served by waiting for an election? Or will you invoke the "they did a coup so we can do a revolution" argument? Anyway, its debatable whether the situation in Thailand is so dire that a French style revolution (where the revolutionaries have no plan other than off with their heads) is warranted. I ask what the Reds plan is because I have never heard a plan, other than to pardon Thaksin and get his money back. I have never heard than talk about anything positive. I thought maybe you had and could open my eyes. But obviously you haven't heard their plans either. Are you just going on blind trust that they will make things better? What about their wealth re-distribution plan? Where does it start? Where does it end? Is it going to be like Zimababwe or Cambodia's? Or Germany's in the 1930's? And again, I'm serious, do you think Chalerm is going to let his wealth be re-distributed? Cause he's in line to be PM IF a UDD backed government is elected. Shouldn't he and Thaksin be leading by example?

Thaksin would say, "But I did give a generous donation of 46 billion baht last weekend!" (sarcasm intended). Seriously, when Thaksin was the self proclaimed richest man in Thailand, did he ever donate to charities? Guess not...

Thaksin would say, "But I did give a generous donation of 46 billion baht last weekend!" (sarcasm intended). Seriously, when Thaksin was the self proclaimed richest man in Thailand, did he ever donate to charities? Guess not...

Thaksin donated millions to charities. He gave lots of people in the North/North East donations so that they would vote for him.

Why, why oh why this obsession with one man? Get rid of Thaksin and the problems are gone?

Wake up.

Same everywhere: get rid of Blair and you have Brown. Get rid of Brown and you have (doesn't matter).

In other words, so long as the masses are distracted by the personal (for ex, does the fact that Gordon Brown has sight in only one eye affect his conduct of affairs? Maybe!) But how neat it is for those who truly pull the strings in the background (Goldman Sachs anyone?) to have everyone discuss little personal matters as if they were the things that really counted.

Meanwhile, let's get those yellows and reds at each other's throats for a while. Excellent entertainment value, and wonderfully distracting.

The greatest mistake of the PAD was to try to take away the vote from the working class.

That's more a case of GAD (Graduates' Alliance for Democracy).

PAD has not taken away the voting rights of anyone. The PAD "did" collapse a ruling party and all citizens of Thailand still have the right to vote but blind Freddie could see what was happening and it was brought to a head.

Having tanks in the street (yet again) and people applauding and handing out flowers to the soldiers gives you more of a true picture of what the people really thought and I can't recall the little shop owners and street vendors who handed out those flowers being graduates of anything other than the school of Hard Knocks!

Whilst I don't think the PAD should not be held accountable, far from it, the populist politics demonstrated by Takky and the game of Monopoly he was playing, was a death knell for Thailand. That thankfully, has changed.

At the next election if the working classes and the rest of Thailand feel the Democrats are not doing the job - bingo, their vote counts and it all starts again but their frightened leader does not get a leave pass to return and that may be the telling factor. Takky has the policy of appearing to be the Robin Hood but quite the opposite if in fact correct. He takes from everyone including the poor and pays back a pittance to keep them thinking he is the good guy. Shrewd and a criminal mind is not in doubt. :)

Edited by asiawatcher

Why, why oh why this obsession with one man? Get rid of Thaksin and the problems are gone?

Wake up.

Same everywhere: get rid of Blair and you have Brown. Get rid of Brown and you have (doesn't matter).

In other words, so long as the masses are distracted by the personal (for ex, does the fact that Gordon Brown has sight in only one eye affect his conduct of affairs? Maybe!) But how neat it is for those who truly pull the strings in the background (Goldman Sachs anyone?) to have everyone discuss little personal matters as if they were the things that really counted.

Meanwhile, let's get those yellows and reds at each other's throats for a while. Excellent entertainment value, and wonderfully distracting.

So you're saying Thaksin shouldn't be involved in these discussions? He had Sae Daeng up to see him. He just urged his supporters to join the demonstration. If he would fade quietly into the background he would be forgotten, or at least not mentioned so often. But he keeps putting himself in the forefront. BTW - still waiting on the outline of the Red plans for Utopia.... :)

...I read an interesting comment stating that "if the government can not handle a million people coming to Bangkok then it should step down". What city in the world could handle an influx of a million people?...

Well Washington DC for one, NYC for another.

Thew original Million Man March was African American men,

marching for a increased moral stand and familial responsibility

amongst their own segment. And they had a solid and absolutely peaceful million plus.

D.C. has had many 500k to million person street actions and the police are well trained to keep them peaceful

NYC has millions in the streets periodically for a variety of reasons including New Years eve festivities every year.

But most often NON of these groupings are being wound up with such levels of paranoia and propaganda

as the Reds of this coming week. Apples and Oranges. This is more like the Davos meetings, and

World Economic forum meetings where assorted groups from PETA to, unreconstructed or newbie Communists

to old fashioned anarchist all come and jump up and down for the pet causes.

One million people do not riot, only small pockets will actual riot.

But with so many bodies in the streets it's much easier to make an incident

where there was none, and thus try and turn the argument from stable government

to violently oppressive government.

Already their announced numbers have dropped from One Million to 400-600k;

seems many people don't want to risk being a pawn in their plans.

This is the REDS ONLY SHOT. If they can NOT provoke a truly appalling response,

involve injured women and monks and NO images of 'Red Provocations',

they they are likely moribund for the long haul.

And provocation IS the name of the game for team Thaksin this week.

They MUST provoke credible, super-negative, press images of the government

that is not labled as purely their propaganda, or they fail miserably.

We'll see.

Monks joining the Red Shirts is a development which may galvanise more ordinary Thais than would normally be the case.

Did it "galvanize" many more Thais during that Petition Pagent they put on last fall, no.

Plenty of these 'curious monks' on display.

The Red numbers have dipped steadily since that point.

:) Understand the Saffron Revolution in Burma, where the Military butchers are in charge, but Theravayda Monks in Thailand joining the UDD is rather disturbing .....is there something I do not understand with this issue...I spent 4 wonderful years in Chiangmai teaching at a Buddhist University, this news concerns me..... :D Dukkha

What is a “Buddhist University” ? Is it “Buddhist” or a “University” ?

I am really curious to know if you are a farang and what you “taught” there.

i see yesterday mark had one of Taskins friends arrested who is a General in the army, all very publicly with loads of armed commandos around, why could they not have done it in a more discreet manner. i admit i am biased towards the PPP i personally dont like the term red shirts and yellow shirts, for me its the democrats and PPP. they are the plotitians involved. i used to be pro Marks lot but he is just a front man for a gangster from down south. a lot of the tv programmes at the moment are making jokes about him being the puppet. taskin was his own man and second to none as a business man and leader. from a personnel point of view my father in law is on a life support machine at the moment, all for 30 baht, without Taskins polocies he would be dead. try telling his family Taskin was no good.

basically if all PPP polotitions were counted and all the Democrats were counted there would be more PPP members, in my eyes that makes them the people who should be leading the hung parliament.

as for the issue of the Monks protesting a quick google search will show that Monks have always joined in protest, including China,India, Tibet,Burma etc etc.

come on you REDS

whoops just realised its Sunday, i am going to get a hammering from all the guys sat in front of PCs back at home in the cold.

It wasn't the general being arrested, but it was that general who made it a spectacle.

Also,

if you have Chalerm on your team calling Suthep a southern gangster gets ZERO traction.

Apples and Rose Apples, just from a different quadrant of the compass.

PTP is idiot sons and daughters , ineffectuals, and post-TRT gangsters and not much else.

PPP does not exist, so calling it the balance to the Dems is rather out of touch.

Thaksin the business man

is proved to be second to MANY when he doesn't have a political / family provided monopoly to profit on.

Sorry Nalak your points are lost.

There is of course the distinct possibility that the red shirts themselves will dress up a group of thugs as soldiers and have them violently attack a few monks, women, children, and elderly people in order to provoke widespread public outrage against the government.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

the yellows got what they wanted my mass protest and closing down an airport.is it any wonder why the reds think they can get what tey want by doing the same thing.

surely if one party does something bad they should be punished the same as the other party.

this is why all this stuff is happening. i ahve no problems with the yellows complaints just have a problem with the way they done it and the way they got results. now the other side will copy and it will go on and on and on.

remember i am just a forang with no voting voice or power so what i say does not make any difference to thai peoples pollitics

the yellows got what they wanted my mass protest and closing down an airport.is it any wonder why the reds think they can get what tey want by doing the same thing.

surely if one party does something bad they should be punished the same as the other party.

this is why all this stuff is happening. i ahve no problems with the yellows complaints just have a problem with the way they done it and the way they got results. now the other side will copy and it will go on and on and on.

remember i am just a forang with no voting voice or power so what i say does not make any difference to thai peoples pollitics

Yes. Closing the airport was a huge mistake by the PAD.

Shutting down BKK will be a similarly huge mistake by the UDD, especially if they are found to instigate violence.

It is unconscionable for a red shirt supporter to decry the airport closure and at the same time engage in similar disruptive and harmful acts.