Landlord In Trouble In Court

gennisis

It appears that my landlord of 3 years and now furthert extended by another 3 years has not been paying her morgage and the original builders.

The courts have now decreed that the house be sold by auction.

In the UK .my rental agreement would still stand with the new owner,but I am guessing that Thai law will not have such a option.

Anyone know the legal position here? or have any suggestions?

Under Thai law your rights are protected. But under Thai reality??? It may come down to whether the eventual buyers want a rental income, or want the place for themselves. If the latter then there may be inducements (either nice or nasty) to encourage you to move one. I assume you have a written and signed lease in place? It wouldn't hurt to make sure that this is made known to whoever has taken control of the house, which in the interim period is probably the court.

I don't know the answer but if I was in your shoes I'd consider moving house. You might be in for a whole lot of hassle and so ask yourself if it is worth it. You might have to say goodbye to any deposit as well.

Agree.

These cases pop up frequently here.

Several cases the last few years where the third part (as the OP is) do not have any rights, unless they get together and make a lot of noise.

Most extreme case I remember was, as the "old dogs" here on TV might remember, was the the area with the beer bars on Sukhumvit (around soi 11-12?? Near Landmark hotel), where the new owners came with bulldozers, and they gave all the bar owners 5-10 minutes to clear out.

The Bar owners had a legal lease, but it didnt matter.

In the morning the entire area was flattened and a "Berlin wall" had already been put up around the area.

The old "easier to get forgivness than permission" style from the new owners of the land.

You can generally stall the first auction by claiming the amount realized does not reflect the true value of the property.

If there are a lot of renters you could be looking at an interesting property deal that you could all make some money out of