Bangkok Airways.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely disgraceful pricing. It won't change though as there are still some idiots out there preaching about "what good value for money" Bangkok Airways is.

What it actually is is the biggest single problem to torism that this island has.

• Like 1

Pattaya BKK 120 baht air con bus. BKK Airways are i would say 30% of the reason i left Samui, its about time the locals sorted them out, other wise, well i was going to say they will kill the islands tourism but that may be a case of closing the gate aftr the horse has bolted. i HATE them with a passion. That flight was used alot by Thais who do not have a lot of money, they have now deprived them of that service, from affordability reasons.

3,255b one way including taxes at 6am.21st march,seems not too bad.

Not bad :) When we all know dam_n well Nok Air or one of the others would do it for 1600 baht.

Is this some sort of brain washing that people think their prices are not bad???

going to fly from surat these prices are terrible. just pure greed. does anyone know if i can park my car in surathtani airport

Yes you can park and it's free......

sold. airasia bangkok about 3500 1 way. from there. hold.....thats for 2 adults. with bangkok airways. this is why manopolys are illegal. thanks for that. only smaties have the asnwer

Edited by BigC

prices to and from USM are ridiculous - especially with the current exchange rate - and by the looks of it, they're getting worse.

I think airasia etc will see their business rise dramatically to/from URT. enough is enough with the butt-raping USM airfares. I think airasia were doing prices BKK-URT for as little as 700THB recently.

look at phuket - there's enough competition and I've never paid more than 2500THB HKT-BKK or vice versa, normally under 2K.

btw what's with the new bangkok airways website layout??? I hope it's only teething problems but I searched for a flight USM-BKK just to see what prices were coming in and the search brought up random flights for other routes eg HKT-BKK mixed in with USM-BKK flights. :)

Bangkok Airways prices are a joke... :)

I purchased AirAsia tickets 2 months ago Surat-Bkk, 1 way, for 2 people.......... 107 THB......... ok ok you have to add luggage, insurance and convenience fee; total for 2: 556.80 THB.

Can't compare with Bangkok Air..

Just bought a Samui-Singapore for 6075b one way, so it's not very expensive as i though when exchanging the total in Euro..... :D

But if flights are full why lower price?

High prices will assure only high end tourist will visit the island.... :)

And anything is Samui is overpriced.

Just bought a Samui-Singapore for 6075b one way, so it's not very expensive as i though when exchanging the total in Euro..... :D

But if flights are full why lower price?

High prices will assure only high end tourist will visit the island.... :)

And anything is Samui is overpriced.

So then there's been a about a 6.5% increase.. A month ago that ticket would have cost 5695b (including fuel for the plane and random surcharges).

Pattaya BKK 120 baht air con bus. BKK Airways are i would say 30% of the reason i left Samui, its about time the locals sorted them out, other wise, well i was going to say they will kill the islands tourism but that may be a case of closing the gate aftr the horse has bolted. i HATE them with a passion. That flight was used alot by Thais who do not have a lot of money, they have now deprived them of that service, from affordability reasons.

Funny how the mention of Bangkok Airways brings out the vitriol from the same old posters!

I think that BKK Air are great...reliable,comfortable and plenty of services. Not everyone wants to travel in misery. I really don't want to

drive to Nathon, spend a couple of hours on the ferry, and then drive to Surat in the hope that the aircraft is on time.

Many people here wish to be able to get to BKK and carry out a days work and be back late afternoon. You can't do that using Surat.

Anyway, we go round this subject every few months ad nauseum. If you can arrange your life you can get reasonable deals. I have a return

BKK-Samui for 4200 plus taxes 5900. The air miles are also a good bonus as is the residents discount card. (just coming up for renewal)

We Love Bangkok Airways (that should raise a pulse or two)!! :):D

Funny how the mention of Bangkok Airways brings out the vitriol from the same old posters!

I think that BKK Air are great...reliable,comfortable and plenty of services. Not everyone wants to travel in misery. I really don't want to

drive to Nathon, spend a couple of hours on the ferry, and then drive to Surat in the hope that the aircraft is on time.

Many people here wish to be able to get to BKK and carry out a days work and be back late afternoon. You can't do that using Surat.

Anyway, we go round this subject every few months ad nauseum. If you can arrange your life you can get reasonable deals. I have a return

BKK-Samui for 4200 plus taxes 5900. The air miles are also a good bonus as is the residents discount card. (just coming up for renewal)

Some people just don't know when they are being taken advantage of. BKK Air is no more "reliable,comfortable and plenty of services" than any of the airlines that run BKK-Phuket or BKK-Krabi routes and yet BKK Air's BKK-USM price for is dramatically more despite it being a similar distance. Why? Well, because they have a monopoly on service to Samui. Sure, taking BKK Air is better and more convenient than flying to Surathani and taking a bus + ferry, but their monopoly status is the reason why that is your next-best option.

Edited by OriginalPoster
  • Like 1

Quite right, i too wish to travel in comfort. However, i'd prefer not to pay over double what i should be. i believe its refered to as a fair deal for both parties Well done on you good deal btw.

No i a not going to start flaming you. I just don't understand why you promote them the way you do, knowing that they are ripping eveyone off and putting tourists off comng here. I can tell from your posts you are far from stupid. So what the agenda. You must be selling something here and are talking everything up. Most of you posts are very logical,except when this subject crops up.

Answer me one question. How is Bangkok Airways be good value when others will do the same flight for 1600 baht? Secondly, will you accept this situation is doing no good for the island whatsoever?

• Like 1

What would be good is if air asia did a speedboat and bus service between samui and surat airport.

:) An Aussie ferry company set up Southern Jet Ferries in 1998 where Wavemaster would open a service from Surat Thani to Samui with two 450 passenger 45 knot fast ferries but 1. It was impossible to get a licence, 2. The vessels would have to be registered in Thailand (making it next to impossible to recover the vessels should the Thai partner screw you), 3. The maximum ownership for a foreigner is 40% in a transportation business and 4. The Communications Ministry sets the ticket prices for all ferries trains and bus routes in Thailand. The Aussies said "No thanks"

Quite right, i too wish to travel in comfort. However, i'd prefer not to pay over double what i should be. i believe its refered to as a fair deal for both parties Well done on you good deal btw.

No i a not going to start flaming you. I just don't understand why you promote them the way you do, knowing that they are ripping eveyone off and putting tourists off comng here. I can tell from your posts you are far from stupid. So what the agenda. You must be selling something here and are talking everything up. Most of you posts are very logical,except when this subject crops up.

Answer me one question. How is Bangkok Airways be good value when others will do the same flight for 1600 baht? Secondly, will you accept this situation is doing no good for the island whatsoever?

Before the whole island was overbooked for years and PG charged even more than today, considering that the airport tax, 500 Baht, was not included and at the year of the petrol crisis every passenger had not only to pay additional that airport tax but also another special tax, appr. 1200 Baht. Still Samui was very good booked. Moreover all package tourists have a much cheaper rate already included in their tour package.

Not saying, that the tickets are now cheap or expensive. Just saying that most tourists are not depending or interested in the ticket prices on site.

They are expensive compared to Nok Air, Air Asia etc.. However the 700 baht mentioned price for comparison was a limited PR promo, the regularly available fares are 2k+, compare the availability of BKK air Web-* (which are quite good given 5+ days) when looking at prices. Also factor in ferry costs, time waiting in Nathon, the same again on the way back etc.. All in it gets nearer to parity with BKK, I dont need a breakdown to prove its not, I said "nearer"...

Bangkok airways is a business, they took a punt and invested heavily in the airport and are now reaping the rewards, maybe the access costs prices other airlines out the market but given BKK air run a full scheduled from USM-BKK even during quite periods they are surely are entitled to profit from it.

Its not a government run company, its not a charity, its just a business, they calibrate their price to get the most profit per trip, if I was a BKK air shareholder (or any shareholder) then any other action on their behalf would be absurd. If extra profit was to be had by lower the prices they would of done it, they are not stupid - they model these scenarios carefully, if the tourism authority thought that it was financially sound then they would subsidize BKK air fares for international arrivals. For business 7-8k shouldnt even be an issue and most yearly people who travel half way across the world and dont have the time to go train/bus/via-suratthai then again same point, for expats counting the pennies or those with unlimited time I'm sorry but you're not the breadline.

As for reliability, I never had any more than 10 mins delay with BKK. Air Asia and Nok Air I've had in the region of 45minutes (okay not much but worth mentioning nonetheless)

For reference, because last time I got labelled an employee of BKK Air / capitalist pig, next time I go BKK I will be going by train (you always have a choice) - its recreational not business, the choice is presented the option is selected. By all means protest, there is a guy a few threads down that is going to protest about the gbp/baht, perhaps you can join up once you figure out a suitable strategy for your campaign.

They are expensive compared to Nok Air, Air Asia etc.. However the 700 baht mentioned price for comparison was a limited PR promo, the regularly available fares are 2k+, compare the availability of BKK air Web-* (which are quite good given 5+ days) when looking at prices. Also factor in ferry costs, time waiting in Nathon, the same again on the way back etc.. All in it gets nearer to parity with BKK, I dont need a breakdown to prove its not, I said "nearer"...

Bangkok airways is a business, they took a punt and invested heavily in the airport and are now reaping the rewards, maybe the access costs prices other airlines out the market but given BKK air run a full scheduled from USM-BKK even during quite periods they are surely are entitled to profit from it.

Its not a government run company, its not a charity, its just a business, they calibrate their price to get the most profit per trip, if I was a BKK air shareholder (or any shareholder) then any other action on their behalf would be absurd. If extra profit was to be had by lower the prices they would of done it, they are not stupid - they model these scenarios carefully, if the tourism authority thought that it was financially sound then they would subsidize BKK air fares for international arrivals. For business 7-8k shouldnt even be an issue and most yearly people who travel half way across the world and dont have the time to go train/bus/via-suratthai then again same point, for expats counting the pennies or those with unlimited time I'm sorry but you're not the breadline.

As for reliability, I never had any more than 10 mins delay with BKK. Air Asia and Nok Air I've had in the region of 45minutes (okay not much but worth mentioning nonetheless)

For reference, because last time I got labelled an employee of BKK Air / capitalist pig, next time I go BKK I will be going by train (you always have a choice) - its recreational not business, the choice is presented the option is selected. By all means protest, there is a guy a few threads down that is going to protest about the gbp/baht, perhaps you can join up once you figure out a suitable strategy for your campaign.

This is a good post. I think the service offered is very good too. I'm also not questioning ther right and the good business to charge a bit more. For the record i don't mind paying a bit more because as i have just said the service is generally very good. My point is that their is a big difference between making a healthy profit and blatent profiteering. Anyways we are all wasting our time if we are complaining because it won't change regardless :)

No matter how you try to sugarcoat it, the only reason that BKK Air can charge what they do is because of lack of competition.

• Like 1

Before the whole island was overbooked for years and PG charged even more than today, considering that the airport tax, 500 Baht, was not included and at the year of the petrol crisis every passenger had not only to pay additional that airport tax but also another special tax, appr. 1200 Baht. Still Samui was very good booked. Moreover all package tourists have a much cheaper rate already included in their tour package.

Not saying, that the tickets are now cheap or expensive. Just saying that most tourists are not depending or interested in the ticket prices on site.

Of course the flights are mostly booked, it's because BKK Air has and BKK Air alone get to decide how many flights fly the route each day. Since since supply is artifically controlled, prices go up. It's not rocket science.

Edited by OriginalPoster
  • Like 1

None of us would choose to travel to Surat if the prices were halved. By services I presume you mean free wi-fi, juice and pastry snacks. Well it hardly can total 2000 Baht per passenger. As to the reliability yes fine in high season but try catching a flight in low season that is 1/3 booked. You will be waiting for more passengers to arrive for the next flight. No apologies given. Tough luck.

The seats are comfortable in Blue Ribbon class which is probably better value for money these days. Not much comfort in the standard seating though.

I love bangkok airways too - but I also hate being ripped off.

bangkok airways are the best domestic carrier by a country mile - professional set-up, good website (well, up until recently), loyalty scheme, nice lounges which allow entry for all passengers (including free refreshments and free internet, which I think is a nice touch), nice aircraft, nice FA's too if you're lucky. they’re just better than the rest in almost every department & they even have good specials sometimes (I got BKK-CNX & BKK-HKT for approx 1400THB o/w recently).

however, I just can’t listen to anyone who tries to defend their USM prices.

I, for one, have had it with USM fares – phuket will probably be my choice of holiday stop or URT+ferry.

face it - bangkok airways have got us where they want us with regards to USM and I can’t see it changing any time soon.

I would suggest a mass boycott of USM but the code-share flights and package holidays (where the USM flights are already included in the deal) mean any action by regular punters probably wouldn’t make much of an impact.

rubbish. yes the 700THB flights were a limited promotion but flights for a little over 1000THB are common to/from URT.

I believe the first airasia flight leaves in the afternoon to bkk which allows ample time to get to URT from samui.

the taxi costs to/from USM are another factor which must be considered - most bus/ferry tickets include pick-up from hotel.

hmm i booked a onw way ticket on feb 26th for travel in may and it came to 2200 + 300 tax + 755 surcharge total 3255 one way to bangkok. However when you looked at the old website it only showed the flight pre tax so you saw 2200. I've just looked at the same flight this morning and lo and behold it is 2200 +300 +755 total 3255. The flight prices shown include all taxes which I think is better. So calm down people no change in prices at all.