Bangkok Airways.

The air fares are too expensive from BKK to Samui, it's almost the same fare as BKK-Hong Kong flight and with those international flight, ou have your own tv screen on each seat with meal and it's 3 hours flight.

Why it has to be so expensive?

Why Air Asia can do cheaper in the international flight and BKK Airways and Air Asia have the same plane quality.

Why you are so greedy????

I am Thai and have to go there twice a month to Samui, it's so high cost to me.

Could you please answer this, if you could have read my comments..

You answered your own question. Monopoly=Greed. Until there is fair competition on this route nothing will change unfortunately.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well if u have a thai girl friend and a thai kid and u live on samui. to fly to bangkok rtn u r looking around 30 000 baht. as apposed to about 15 k with air asia. so gov airport is needed. the serice might be good but it is only 45 minutes of the day./ i would rarther spend my money on better accmodation.was interested in what taupo67 said as a tourist. i would be interested in what other tourist say about how they feel about paying extra and getting " less value for holiday" becuase all there money has been spent on flights

come on Big C.....nearly 30000 Baht???

2 Adults: 12680.00 + 1 Child: 3170.00 + surcharges & fees: 5730.00 = 21580.00 TH

better stay with the facts, and there are lower fares available if you want.

Actually it seems to be "in" to shout about BKK Airways wherever people want.

Not like it-Not use it.

Or look for some money and build your own Airport.

Since when has a Child Return been 3,170 THB plus Surcharges ??

My little one's 4, i get charged virtually full fare..

Pattaya BKK 120 baht air con bus. BKK Airways are i would say 30% of the reason i left Samui, its about time the locals sorted them out, other wise, well i was going to say they will kill the islands tourism but that may be a case of closing the gate aftr the horse has bolted. i HATE them with a passion. That flight was used alot by Thais who do not have a lot of money, they have now deprived them of that service, from affordability reasons.

Funny how the mention of Bangkok Airways brings out the vitriol from the same old posters!

I think that BKK Air are great...reliable,comfortable and plenty of services. Not everyone wants to travel in misery. I really don't want to

drive to Nathon, spend a couple of hours on the ferry, and then drive to Surat in the hope that the aircraft is on time.

Many people here wish to be able to get to BKK and carry out a days work and be back late afternoon. You can't do that using Surat.

Anyway, we go round this subject every few months ad nauseum. If you can arrange your life you can get reasonable deals. I have a return

BKK-Samui for 4200 plus taxes 5900. The air miles are also a good bonus as is the residents discount card. (just coming up for renewal)

We Love Bangkok Airways (that should raise a pulse or two)!! :D:D

:) Me too ! I hear BKK Air donate cash to purchase boats and help Samui's kids fly to compete in regattas.

Pattaya BKK 120 baht air con bus. BKK Airways are i would say 30% of the reason i left Samui, its about time the locals sorted them out, other wise, well i was going to say they will kill the islands tourism but that may be a case of closing the gate aftr the horse has bolted. i HATE them with a passion. That flight was used alot by Thais who do not have a lot of money, they have now deprived them of that service, from affordability reasons.

Funny how the mention of Bangkok Airways brings out the vitriol from the same old posters!

I think that BKK Air are great...reliable,comfortable and plenty of services. Not everyone wants to travel in misery. I really don't want to

drive to Nathon, spend a couple of hours on the ferry, and then drive to Surat in the hope that the aircraft is on time.

Many people here wish to be able to get to BKK and carry out a days work and be back late afternoon. You can't do that using Surat.

Anyway, we go round this subject every few months ad nauseum. If you can arrange your life you can get reasonable deals. I have a return

BKK-Samui for 4200 plus taxes 5900. The air miles are also a good bonus as is the residents discount card. (just coming up for renewal)

:) Me too ! I hear BKK Air donate cash to purchase boats and help Samui's kids fly to compete in regattas.

up to u if u like getting mugged off. if u say u love bangkok airways and u think u are being clever then i just think u r 1 of these people that like to through your money around. great can u through some at me. are u one of these people who order champagne for 100 pounds a bottle at niki beach to show off how much money u have.

up to u. we need people like u on this island keeps our local businesses alive

6 pages who knew. Seriously how many threads and topics do we have on the samui forum about bangkok airways.

1. There is no competition so if I run the airport I am a monopoly

2. Nobody forces any of you to fly bangkok airways, you have options but i know its just easier to complain about it. Go to bangkok by bus or go to surat thani and fly air asia

3. I had a discussion with a farang yesterday about this and I said I think there following the prospective of everyone else who puts up a hotel which is going upscale, if you really look into it how many 4 & 5 star hotel properties do we have vs the budget end.

4. on that note I realize business must make money but Thailand is NOT a luxury destination, everytime I pick up a travel magazine or read something online its always noted that thailand is more towards budget, I know you guys are laughing about that statement already.

5. Besides bangkok airways I really feel the thailand and samui as a whole is losing extra potential income. It seems nobody wants the budget end travelers which is really stupid to be honest. you can still make money from them, mind you not as much as your more high end groups and like all travelers before them and me started here as backpackers and then moved up. there still future potential customers.

last thing, we have more to worry about than bangkok airways price, how about water supplies. I guarantee we don't have enough for everyone to last.

:D Me too ! I hear BKK Air donate cash to purchase boats and help Samui's kids fly to compete in regattas.

up to u if u like getting mugged off. if u say u love bangkok airways and u think u are being clever then i just think u r 1 of these people that like to through your money around. great can u through some at me. are u one of these people who order champagne for 100 pounds a bottle at niki beach to show off how much money u have.

So, what's your point? :)

• 10 months later...

Absolutely disgraceful pricing. It won't change though as there are still some idiots out there preaching about "what good value for money" Bangkok Airways is.

What it actually is is the biggest single problem to torism that this island has.

Yes i agree, if Samui had an airport that the low cost airlines could use, it would really open Samui for tourism. Even Thai Air have to charge high fares because Bangkok Air charge them big money to use the airport.

Mattcodes:

"Bangkok airways is a business, they took a punt and invested heavily in the airport and are now reaping the rewards, maybe the access costs prices other airlines out the market but given BKK air run a full scheduled from USM-BKK even during quite periods they are surely are entitled to profit from it."

Mattcodes

"And why do you think their is lack of competition? Someone forget to compete? Why does Air Asia or X-Budget-Carrierr who can tap a lot more finance than BKK Air not build an airport (forget the rumours) or buy into USM in a big way (beyong access fees)? Risk! And for risk you need reward = profit."

OriginalPoster

"No matter how you try to sugarcoat it, the only reason that BKK Air can charge what they do is because of lack of competition."

Game4Shame

"it's been mentioned that bangkok airways hike the price up to recuperate the initial investment in the airport. fair enough - a couple of hundred THB per fare is fine......a couple of thousand THB per fare is a joke."

ScreamingEagle

"Now they have the monopoly, they're milking it to the max."

What nobody has mentioned anywhere here is that BA made an agreement back in the mid 90s to build the airport as long as they retained the monopoly and also agreed some kind of tax exemption (details unknown) - neither of which I can support with hard facts but it seemed to be a general topic of conversation everywhere on Samui back then.

I have always believed this to be the case. But after 14 or 15 years of benefits, concessions, and millions, billions, even, of baht in exit taxes I am positive that the investment has now long-since been recovered. The same family own a great deal of real estate on Samui including several premium hotels. My thinking is that they are influential enough to keep things as they are for a very long time to come.

Hey ho.

Rob

You'd need to go to the ATM again me thinks..

Only 5k? I keep 100 times that much at my gaff in x/y moo z lamui.

Unfortunately I'm out and about tonight so can't give an exact figure....

That would be a good deal indeed, I thought they sell at around 8,500 at Nikki. It is not the money in my case, it is the temperature that makes the stuff warm once it hits the glass......like driniking beer in the sauna..... :bah:

Bangkok Airways prices have gone from 2000 bhat to 4000 baht for the early bird or late flight! It's OK for the once in a lifetime holiday tourists! But if your a local it's pretty poor! They are a rip off! But the worst thing they they EVER did was double the price of beer from 40 to 80 baht overnight!! Terrible!:annoyed: ...Lol!

so bangkok airways are doing a promotion where you can fly to Mumbai return for 5,590 THB , while they charge 9,500 THB return to samui !!! :annoyed:

Your comment made me think of Gaddafi. The last days of a mad dictatorship....if only....:(

Not trying to inflame the thread but if traveling single then BKK Air can be worthwhile if you go Business Class - 5500baht most times. No queuing at checkin. The business class lounge has sofas where you can almost catch some sleep, showers, massage chairs, and much better snacks, they will also cook you a meal on request. Bags off first, golf cart rather than bus, and priority boarding if you want it. And much more luggage I got away with 35kg. Food, seat and service on board very good, free beer, better food although nothing to rave about. I read some posts saying BKK Biz is just like economy - same food same lounge etc.. - tis just not true (maybe people are trying to keep it a secret). Obviously not suitable for family though. I dont mind 5500 biz, its 4855 economy that hurts. Obviously I dont have a family to cater for so easy for me.

Not trying to inflame the thread but if traveling single then BKK Air can be worthwhile if you go Business Class - 5500baht most times. No queuing at checkin. The business class lounge has sofas where you can almost catch some sleep, showers, massage chairs, and much better snacks, they will also cook you a meal on request. Bags off first, golf cart rather than bus, and priority boarding if you want it. And much more luggage I got away with 35kg. Food, seat and service on board very good, free beer, better food although nothing to rave about. I read some posts saying BKK Biz is just like economy - same food same lounge etc.. - tis just not true (maybe people are trying to keep it a secret). Obviously not suitable for family though. I dont mind 5500 biz, its 4855 economy that hurts. Obviously I dont have a family to cater for so easy for me.

Cook you a meal? Not at Samui. In fact I asked for a beer in the lounge last time was told they had run out!

The seats are great..the food so so....managed four beers on board I think last time so it all adds up to a decent deal in Biz I agree. But shhh before ya know it it'll be 10k.....

i am at your door now. i have come along waay to meet u. could let me know where your spare key is sop i can just make a cup of tea then shoot off. Also where do u store your paper B)

• 1 year later...

Its about time that certain people realised that tourism is the backbone of this islands economy (not coconuts) and until the Bangkok Air monopoly is broken, Samui will continue to stagnate. Just look around, forget the 5 star resorts, many of which are doing it tough. See how many businesses are closing, loosing jobs and income. The only business booming here has got to be Bangkok Air, and they in fact have us all by the "short and curlies"

Yes in the beginning, they were good for Samui, but greed and power has taken over. Yes, maybe there are a few here that are well off and want to see this happening as they do not want to share their lifestyle with the 'riff raff' as we have already been told here. But there are many not so well off who just want a decent lifestyle with a reasonable income for their families. Sadly this is being crucified by the greedy directors of Bangkok Air, who are using their monopoly.

Its about time that certain people realised that tourism is the backbone of this islands economy (not coconuts) and until the Bangkok Air monopoly is broken, Samui will continue to stagnate. Just look around, forget the 5 star resorts, many of which are doing it tough. See how many businesses are closing, loosing jobs and income. The only business booming here has got to be Bangkok Air, and they in fact have us all by the "short and curlies"

Yes in the beginning, they were good for Samui, but greed and power has taken over. Yes, maybe there are a few here that are well off and want to see this happening as they do not want to share their lifestyle with the 'riff raff' as we have already been told here. But there are many not so well off who just want a decent lifestyle with a reasonable income for their families. Sadly this is being crucified by the greedy directors of Bangkok Air, who are using their monopoly.

If you say Bkk Airways business is booming why would they change anything? The only thing that's needed is a new airport government run. As for hotels and resorts doing it tough bad luck for them they are also greedy with there over priced room's. Let me know how much of the Samui economy is made on the back of the coconut and you will be surprised.

John1, you seem to know how much of the Samui economy is made on the back of the coconut, why don't you enlighten us so we can be surprised.

I didn't say I know how much of the economy is made on the back of the coconut trade. Just that I think you will find it's quite a good percentage and most farmers I suspect don't pay tax so a figure would be hard to obtain.

John1, than I can only conclude that you follow a very strange logic, You don't know how much is made this way but once we know, according to you we will be surprised by the figure. Based on what? The wind direction? A hunch feeling?

Your logic doesn't stand ground I'm afraid.

• Like 1

A number of sources state that the largest contributor to the economy on Koh Samui is tourism. I believe that it is some years since the heady days of coconut barons.

At the rate that the coconut trees are dying, Samui will probably be importing coconuts in the next decade or two laugh.png

• Like 2

Agriculture for the whole of Thailand is perhaps 10% of the GDP. This covers everything including coconuts.

For Samui, I am guessing that figure is a lot lower as a %, but is still a relatively high figure for such a small island given that the island has historically been a major supplier of coconuts.

Samui USED to export 2 million coconuts monthly to Bangkok. Probably lower today.

How much is a coconut at market price? Answer this question, mulitply by 24m to get the annual amount, divide by 365 to get the daily amount. Divide this by the daily room rate at an average hotel to get the number of rooms.

I am guessing the GDP of Samui based on coconuts is probably about the same as the GDP produced by 50 rooms of the Centara.

Edited by itishothere
  • Like 2