Bangkok Airways.

It's about VALUE FOR MONEY.

For who? You or the shareholders who took a punt (indirectly arguably) and financed USM? Value for money is the convenience for me (this ain't like taxes - you have a myriad of choices outline before), but if you look at the last month (feb) its been quite difficult to get USM-BKK flight with 24-48hrs (min time before you can book on the website) if you have an ideal timeslot, so perhaps they are little inefficient with their pricing and should of been a little higher (as up to on the day there should be at least some availability to clear).

There is no such thing as "Customer comes first", the boss comes first, then his little army, then the shareholders and then you, whatever you are led to believe..

Yes I would like cheaper flights, and as said before I'll be going by train next time (since I have some time), but this is just business and, no difference to barriers to entry anywhere else (such as Heathrow expensive transatlantic slots).

its not value for money. its the fact that they can charge what they like so they do. if people keep paying they will keep charging. there is only one way to get back at them and that is to not use them. there is growing need for a gov airport. it is the only way to stop these " crookes" charging out ragous prices. tickets are only worth what people are willing to pay. if there is a govement air port and u have the choice of your" number 1 service" then u can pay through the nose to use it. for all othres there is the cheaper airport the otherside of the island. if people like the service so much they can use it still and pay 4 times more than the other airport. i bet people that support the airport would not use it if they had the choice. for god sake it is just 45 minutes. who cares how good the service is. as long as r where u want to be on time.

its just business. i accept it but like anything u take the buscuit too much people will go away. like me. surat for me good buy bangkok airways and so called resdient card where it is still cheaper online. resident card or not

Jeez ! Why not fly from Surat Thani like we used to do before the Samui Airport was there and now it's even cheaper than it was back then? With Air Asia the price is less than half of Bkk Air and you get to see a bit more of Thailand

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys really need to understand why people pay £3.10 a coffee at top london stations, because ultimately it will make you less angry (about many things). No amount of thaivisa complaining or boycotting will affect it. This fantasy concept of value for money is laughable in the concept of business. I fully expect this to be the devil advocate post of the thread, but think about it, BKK air are not stupid.

BKK are not stupid. Agreed. But they are greedy. I also agree that no amount of complaining will stop this practice. Only a government compulsory purchase, so that other airlines can compete, will stop this. But I doubt that will ever happen too! :)

Ok, for me too Bkk Airways politic is not so clever and for sure damage the Samui tourism. But you cannot force some private enterprise to change their prices just because too much expensive for you.

For me, last year holidays, I flew with Bangkok USM - BKK because good offers (around 4500 return). This year I'll fly with Air Asia URT - BKK for a mere baht 2500 each return.

No complaints, is just market.

It's about VALUE FOR MONEY.

For who? You or the shareholders who took a punt (indirectly arguably) and financed USM? Value for money is the convenience for me (this ain't like taxes - you have a myriad of choices outline before), but if you look at the last month (feb) its been quite difficult to get USM-BKK flight with 24-48hrs (min time before you can book on the website) if you have an ideal timeslot, so perhaps they are little inefficient with their pricing and should of been a little higher (as up to on the day there should be at least some availability to clear).

There is no such thing as "Customer comes first", the boss comes first, then his little army, then the shareholders and then you, whatever you are led to believe..

Yes I would like cheaper flights, and as said before I'll be going by train next time (since I have some time), but this is just business and, no difference to barriers to entry anywhere else (such as Heathrow expensive transatlantic slots).

its not value for money. its the fact that they can charge what they like so they do. if people keep paying they will keep charging. there is only one way to get back at them and that is to not use them. there is growing need for a gov airport. it is the only way to stop these " crookes" charging out ragous prices. tickets are only worth what people are willing to pay. if there is a govement air port and u have the choice of your" number 1 service" then u can pay through the nose to use it. for all othres there is the cheaper airport the otherside of the island. if people like the service so much they can use it still and pay 4 times more than the other airport. i bet people that support the airport would not use it if they had the choice. for god sake it is just 45 minutes. who cares how good the service is. as long as r where u want to be on time.

its just business. i accept it but like anything u take the buscuit too much people will go away. like me. surat for me good buy bangkok airways and so called resdient card where it is still cheaper online. resident card or not

As the poster with a view on everything and anything and who has no intention of listening to other points of view, it might be mildly interesting to hear how you would set about putting in another airport.

(you might get a few clues if you read all the posts pre-Big C). :)

i do i read everybodyies post exept yours :D anyway. i am not going to build a new arport. if i could afford to build " my own airport" i would not be complaining about the prices as i would be super rich. the mayor is which probably means the gov might fund it. what do u reckon.

You guys really need to understand why people pay £3.10 a coffee at top london stations, because ultimately it will make you less angry (about many things). No amount of thaivisa complaining or boycotting will affect it. This fantasy concept of value for money is laughable in the concept of business. I fully expect this to be the devil advocate post of the thread, but think about it, BKK air are not stupid.

no they boycotted gasoline in england and the companies lost loads. years ago. a boycott would work bu it would take everyone to do it. not just a few people. anyway that wouldn't happend because of people like u. they are not stupid but they pray on stupid people payin stupid prices. that way they never lose. so many stupid people with more money thatn sense that there is ebough to build an airport over.

if i was BBK airways i would do the same. unless maybe just maybe they have a customer over loads. more customers than there are seats. maybe they put the prices up to keep the customers down. if that is the case then they really are notstupid because they have already made their money and they don't care if everyone else flys from surat.

For me (and many others) Bangkok airways represents value for money - infact everything that I purchase that I have control over represents value for money - otherwise I would not do it - the convenience and reliability of BKK Air for me is the value (vs how I value my time in travelling and comfort via another route), value is what makes you part with your money - it could different for other people - value is not BKK air charge this and Air Asia charge that blah blah, let have a dance and a boycott. I dont feel stupid because I CHOOSE to pay it (at times when I do). Am I going to boycott BKK? Next time Im travelling by train (I have time, I want to see countryside above all else), but as for boycott, no, I hope there is availability of seats the day before when I choose to fly BKK Air out of USM. They dont prey on stupid people, their planes are often at 80% fill, and they probably believe that customers are price insensitive when travelling half way round the world for their holidays, or people on the island that are doing business between Samui and BKK.

Unlike gasoline which for transportation companies etc.. are dependent on there are many choices within reach for samui islanders including Suratthani, bus/ferry, ferry/train etc..

For me (and many others) Bangkok airways represents value for money - infact everything that I purchase that I have control over represents value for money - otherwise I would not do it - the convenience and reliability of BKK Air for me is the value (vs how I value my time in travelling and comfort via another route), value is what makes you part with your money - it could different for other people - value is not BKK air charge this and Air Asia charge that blah blah, let have a dance and a boycott. I dont feel stupid because I CHOOSE to pay it (at times when I do). Am I going to boycott BKK? Next time Im travelling by train (I have time, I want to see countryside above all else), but as for boycott, no, I hope there is availability of seats the day before when I choose to fly BKK Air out of USM. They dont prey on stupid people, their planes are often at 80% fill, and they probably believe that customers are price insensitive when travelling half way round the world for their holidays, or people on the island that are doing business between Samui and BKK.

Unlike gasoline which for transportation companies etc.. are dependent on there are many choices within reach for samui islanders including Suratthani, bus/ferry, ferry/train etc..

Well then, on this sorry note, i suppose the vast majority we will never get a fair deal :)

boring zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

'because they have already made their money and they don't care if everyone else flys from surat'

for one who is so factual (to suit your own arguement) maybe you can answer me why bangkok airways have made a loss for the last 18 months and are downsizing, making redundancies...?

'The award-winning airline lost 1.05 billion baht in the 18 months to June this year(2009), said president Puttipong Prasarttong-Osoth

or are the facts just to boring?

'because they have already made their money and they don't care if everyone else flys from surat'

for one who is so factual (to suit your own arguement) maybe you can answer me why bangkok airways have made a loss for the last 18 months and are downsizing, making redundancies...?

'The award-winning airline lost 1.05 billion baht in the 18 months to June this year(2009), said president Puttipong Prasarttong-Osoth

no it is interesting. proves my origional poin. they might e losing money cause licket sales are too high. if all planes are oly 80% full. lets say 80 per cent is seats and 80 seat out of 100 are full then there is 20 seats left. now if u K.O ed the price to 3000 a seat. that would be 240 000 baht for 80 seats. plus 60 000 because it might be full. where as t 4500 baht a seat 80 seats out of 100 is 360 000.

now it is interesting even though it looks as though they will make a hel_l of allot more. if ticket prices drop which they will do then it will work out about the same for them.

so what sense does that make. they do not have full planes they are losing money so they up the price. would be a reall shame if they went out of business and the govement bought their run way off them.

yes the service is good but then i would exept my hard earned cash to be spent somehere

1 more ting. if u had the choice and u can pay cheap on the island to bangkok or pay allot more for a better service. if u had the option would u go for cheap but awvrtahe service or exepensive for very good

There is no guarantee that a 20% reduction would push fill capacity to 100%. As it happens I cant see it would have much effect, customers that use BKK Air - holiday makers / semi-yearly-expats are relatively price insensitive to the last leg of your journey after 6-15hrs longhaul, in addition those doing business between USM-BKK

Aside to the value for money and entrepreneur arguments - both of which have merit in my view - friends of mine are thinking about taking their summer holiday with me this year. They are a family of 4 from London.

I have explained to them the costs involved, both for getting here, and the price of price of eating /drinking etc. Everything is a little higher than they remember from a few years ago. Factor in the currency and everything is now over 20% higher than it was just last year!! As a result they are seriously thinking that they cannot afford to come. :)

It would seem to me that Bangkok Airways, together with prices for food and drink, hotel costs etc, and now the currency are all adding up to deter people from coming here. A limited survey I would agree, and not all currencies are behaving quite as badly as sterling, but nonetheless, the anecdotal evidence that I have would point to prices just getting too much for some people. :D

Whilst I agree there are some merits in the argument that many tourists are fairly price insensitive when it comes to the last leg of their holiday (i.e. the journey to Samui), I do also think your anecdotal evidence has much merit.

We certainly are thinking twice about how and where we travel to in Thailand this year as the sterling issue combined with higher flight prices and increasing resort prices is beginning to take the whole trip over our normal price bracket.

What was once really good value for money is now a toss up between visting Samui and looking for other resorts and holidays that offer us value for money. Maybe our earlier trips were just too good to be true and we have to find pastures new!!!!

Aside to the value for money and entrepreneur arguments - both of which have merit in my view - friends of mine are thinking about taking their summer holiday with me this year. They are a family of 4 from London.

I have explained to them the costs involved, both for getting here, and the price of price of eating /drinking etc. Everything is a little higher than they remember from a few years ago. Factor in the currency and everything is now over 20% higher than it was just last year!! As a result they are seriously thinking that they cannot afford to come. :D

It would seem to me that Bangkok Airways, together with prices for food and drink, hotel costs etc, and now the currency are all adding up to deter people from coming here. A limited survey I would agree, and not all currencies are behaving quite as badly as sterling, but nonetheless, the anecdotal evidence that I have would point to prices just getting too much for some people. :D

Whilst I agree there are some merits in the argument that many tourists are fairly price insensitive when it comes to the last leg of their holiday (i.e. the journey to Samui), I do also think your anecdotal evidence has much merit.

We certainly are thinking twice about how and where we travel to in Thailand this year as the sterling issue combined with higher flight prices and increasing resort prices is beginning to take the whole trip over our normal price bracket.

What was once really good value for money is now a toss up between visting Samui and looking for other resorts and holidays that offer us value for money. Maybe our earlier trips were just too good to be true and we have to find pastures new!!!!

sterling issue??? if for example th ere was as before , more than 70 plus baht for quid . would this thread exist?????, the exchange rate has changed , unfavourably, and bkk air has risen with inflation etc etc etc, my mate is starting a long tail boat service between chumpon and ban makam, although he is burmese :) , , [email protected]

no it is interesting. proves my origional poin. they might e losing money cause licket sales are too high. if all planes are oly 80% full. lets say 80 per cent is seats and 80 seat out of 100 are full then there is 20 seats left. now if u K.O ed the price to 3000 a seat. that would be 240 000 baht for 80 seats. plus 60 000 because it might be full. where as t 4500 baht a seat 80 seats out of 100 is 360 000.

now it is interesting even though it looks as though they will make a hel_l of allot more. if ticket prices drop which they will do then it will work out about the same for them.

so what sense does that make. they do not have full planes they are losing money so they up the price. would be a reall shame if they went out of business and the govement bought their run way off them.

yes the service is good but then i would exept my hard earned cash to be spent somehere

Big C,

I think the mechanics work differently, the BKK-USM line is their milk cow, where profit is made, especially with 80% occupancy, it's probably the other lines where the losses occur, ever compared prices on domestic flights flights (excl. USM flights), BKK Air is a lot more compatetive.

Currently am talking to a bunch of Malaysians wo love to come to Samui by flying in to Surat Thanis but they are sesriously considering Krabi or Phuket as an alternative due to the high costs (and hassles going through Surat) involved.

well if u have a thai girl friend and a thai kid and u live on samui. to fly to bangkok rtn u r looking around 30 000 baht. as apposed to about 15 k with air asia. so gov airport is needed. the serice might be good but it is only 45 minutes of the day./ i would rarther spend my money on better accmodation.was interested in what taupo67 said as a tourist. i would be interested in what other tourist say about how they feel about paying extra and getting " less value for holiday" becuase all there money has been spent on flights

well if u have a thai girl friend and a thai kid and u live on samui. to fly to bangkok rtn u r looking around 30 000 baht. as apposed to about 15 k with air asia. so gov airport is needed. the serice might be good but it is only 45 minutes of the day./ i would rarther spend my money on better accmodation.was interested in what taupo67 said as a tourist. i would be interested in what other tourist say about how they feel about paying extra and getting " less value for holiday" becuase all there money has been spent on flights

You are obviously completely correct here. It won't change though as there seem to be enough selfish "i'm alright jacks" living here. :)

Those who look at budget will be seriously put of when compared to getting to Phuket.

For business I have no choice as it costs more in time etc to piss around getting to surat, so we bite the bullet and go from samui.

Of course if it was cheaper I would be happier, those that believe that BKK air actually care they chose alternatives are living in fairyland.

there is still a demand for their pricely service.

come on Big C.....nearly 30000 Baht???

2 Adults: 12680.00 + 1 Child: 3170.00 + surcharges & fees: 5730.00 = 21580.00 TH

better stay with the facts, and there are lower fares available if you want.

Actually it seems to be "in" to shout about BKK Airways wherever people want.

Not like it-Not use it.

Or look for some money and build your own Airport.

I have explained to them the costs involved, both for getting here, and the price of price of eating /drinking etc. Everything is a little higher than they remember from a few years ago. Factor in the currency and everything is now over 20% higher than it was just last year!! As a result they are seriously thinking that they cannot afford to come. :D

sterling issue??? if for example th ere was as before , more than 70 plus baht for quid . would this thread exist?????, the exchange rate has changed , unfavourably, and bkk air has risen with inflation etc etc etc, my mate is starting a long tail boat service between chumpon and ban makam, although he is burmese :) , ,

email remvoed--please dont feed the spammers, even if in fun, thanks--sbk

2 Adults: 12680.00 + 1 Child: 3170.00 + surcharges & fees: 5730.00 = 21580.00 TH

Not like it-Not use it.

OK. I'll borrow 150 billion baht from Thakin's cronies and build my own airport. :)

Not like it-Not use it.

i am looking for some money. it that some over there ....no s+++t will have to keep looking so i can get my new airport. ha ha. " look or some money" ha ha u nutter lol...hang on found some under my chair.. right i am off to get an airport.

Not like it-Not use it.

sorry i was under the illusion that it is around 4500 baht up. 1 one way ticket. rtn thats 9000 per person. thats 18 000 for a couple. through in a cuple of kids. i think thats close to 30 k.

anyway. i don't minde the airport. just ca't afford it. well i can but but there are more things i would prefer to spend my money on for that money that last more than 45 inutes. or 1 hr on a prepeller plane.

As for service. the service isn't that bad on Air asia.

Not like it-Not use it.

sorry i was under the illusion that it is around 4500 baht up. 1 one way ticket. rtn thats 9000 per person. thats 18 000 for a couple. through in a cuple of kids. i think thats close to 30 k.

anyway. i don't minde the airport. just ca't afford it. well i can but but there are more things i would prefer to spend my money on for that money that last more than 45 inutes. or 1 hr on a prepeller plane.

As posted before but conveniently ignored as it doesn't fit well into your argument.. I have a return ticket for 4200 Baht =5900 Baht incl taxes.

This is playing the same game as Air Asia i.e. the earlier you book the cheaper it is. :)

Not like it-Not use it.

As posted before but conveniently ignored as it doesn't fit well into your argument.. I have a return ticket for 4200 Baht =5900 Baht incl taxes.

This is playing the same game as Air Asia i.e. the earlier you book the cheaper it is. :)

not sure but form now on the prices are up. basically if u booked before they put the prices up u keep that ticket at that price. if i book 6 months from now. i think the price will be from now. i am not sure will have to look. brb

back

this was quotd for 2nd septemeber lowest flight rtn 14th sep

Base Fare ( 1 Adult ):

4400.00 THB

Fuel and Insurance Surcharges

1510.00 THB

Passenger Service Charge

400.00 THB

Total:

6310.00 THB

1 person so for 2 people thats still 12620 baht. still empties the pockets a bit

Edited by BigC

This monopoly issue goes back to the Air Transport Act which hasn't been renewed since it's inception in the 50's (or so I'm told). I don't think that many governments would allow a monopoly on airport ownership/use for the only airport servicing a major tourist center. There is currently no law preventing this here, so on it goes, and BKK Air is taking advantage of it's position, which is clever business, but not so friendly to the customer and the other service providers who rely upon their customers. A monopoly will always operate in it's own best interest, so it is not surprising that the flights are trimmed to make each flight full and cost effective. Thing is, that 12 full flights per day won't fill 20% of rooms on the island, and here we are.

Long term this will be a real problem for Samui unless something is done about it.

"well if u have a thai girl friend and a thai kid and u live on samui. to fly to bangkok rtn u r looking around 30 000 baht. as apposed to about 15 k with air asia"

Where is the 15k from? I didnt think Air Asia flew Samui. Whats the issue, fly with the 15k fare then. There are bus options @ 600 each - 1800 total for the family.

"You are obviously completely correct here. It won't change though as there seem to be enough selfish "i'm alright jacks" living here."

Confused. What is selfish? should people stop flying BKK air (the lose making airline who invested in Samui) because other people feel its expensive, even though they half a dozen other options at their disposal. Im not being funny but even the most regular people here will leave USM once per quarter, the realistic difference of 2000 baht (lets not take a once over mega promo by AirAsia vs open BKK Air fare) over three months is negligible.

"Those who look at budget will be seriously put of when compared to getting to Phuket."

Fair point, for someone else to correct tho, see frontpage Samui Express.

"Of course if it was cheaper I would be happier."

Is there any more a truism?

" those that believe that BKK air actually care they chose alternatives are living in fairyland."

Indeed. just a bloody good run business with regards to USM route. They have a legal duty to their investors, which is fair enough,

"Or look for some money and build your own Airport."

There was a guy that suggested he'd do it if someone fork him the finances and zero the risk (not the banter on this page). [snip too much gasoline too continue]

Edited by mattcodes

"well if u have a thai girl friend and a thai kid and u live on samui. to fly to bangkok rtn u r looking around 30 000 baht. as apposed to about 15 k with air asia"

Where is the 15k from? I didnt think Air Asia flew Samui. Whats the issue, fly with the 15k fare then. There are bus options @ 600 each - 1800 total for the family.

"You are obviously completely correct here. It won't change though as there seem to be enough selfish "i'm alright jacks" living here."

Confused. What is selfish? should people stop flying BKK air (the lose making airline who invested in Samui) because other people feel its expensive, even though they half a dozen other options at their disposal. Im not being funny but even the most regular people here will leave USM once per quarter, the realistic difference of 2000 baht (lets not take a once over mega promo by AirAsia vs open BKK Air fare) over three months is negligible.

"Those who look at budget will be seriously put of when compared to getting to Phuket."

Fair point, for someone else to correct tho, see frontpage Samui Express.

"Of course if it was cheaper I would be happier."

Is there any more a truism?

" those that believe that BKK air actually care they chose alternatives are living in fairyland."

Indeed. just a bloody good run business with regards to USM route. They have a legal duty to their investors, which is fair enough,

"Or look for some money and build your own Airport."

There was a guy that suggested he'd do it if someone fork him the finances and zero the risk (not the banter on this page). [snip too much gasoline too continue]

this thread is going on and on. i think people have made their choice. i go air asia from surat. i would like to fly from the same price from samui. it is a bit of a mission to go over there but i would rarther do that than pay loads for the same air vechele that does the same job same distance for a cheaper price just becuase it is situated on a different peice of land. but thats life just get on with it.

if u want to pay then pay if not then don't just a little bit annoying but i find it strange how many people are happy to pay allot. speaically hen the mayor is looking into building a new airport to lower costs. baffles me completly.well if people have the choice then see how many people go bangkok air. i will tell u how many same as before cause they will lower there prices to compete with the gov airport. unless they sneakly strike a deal and make them all charge the same knowing that e have been ripped of for year.

reaso being we are on an island. and no matter how many airports. we pay these prices becuase there is no other alternative, wouldn;t supprise me uif all the air line got together and charged mroe than everywhere else.

my guess would be the same as surat plus the cost of the boat and taxi then wake a few more charges on top then u will have your air line all togeher on a bigger manoloply with more airports. the only option is to buildin in donsak. for normal thai people. the locals will not fly from donsak if it is expensive cause they have surat and nakorn alternativ with no ferries

"speaically hen the mayor is looking into building a new airport to lower costs."

And until such definite promise is delivered, then there is no other option for those than want sub 2hr Samui-BKK all in (inc 45min checkin - truth being 31mins).

"well if people have the choice then see how many people go bangkok air"

If 2nd airport ever opens then I'd probably do 2nd airport AirAsia/NokAir but such option doesnt exist (and lets be honest might never). But the first investors goes, lets look at BKK Air, hmmm... nah forget that, they are still a lose making airline (maybe not isolated to USM route), [lets be clever] talk to AirAsia/NokAir see if them or their bankers finance it - oh crap they've already explored that (at expense of advisors) and passed.

". i will tell u how many same as before cause they will lower there prices to compete with the gov airport."

Inevitably, thats business, but there will still be a premium for extra reliability (even if max delay AirAsia/NokAir I've ever expereienced is 45min - not bad but still annoying) and boutiqueness (take that to mean whatever - free dry sandwich, wifi, diluted orange juice - it still adds to perception)

" we pay these prices becuase there is no other alternative"

There are dozens of alternatives, you want the premium product at the price same as the cheapest.

More competition welcome, but ultimately BKK at the MOMENT would be bloody stupid to lower their prices in the face of a small expat boycott/rant. All you can hope for is availability models for low season are reflected in future promo prices.

Edited by mattcodes

• 1 month later...

The air fares are too expensive from BKK to Samui, it's almost the same fare as BKK-Hong Kong flight and with those international flight, ou have your own tv screen on each seat with meal and it's 3 hours flight.

Why it has to be so expensive?

Why Air Asia can do cheaper in the international flight and BKK Airways and Air Asia have the same plane quality.

Why you are so greedy????

I am Thai and have to go there twice a month to Samui, it's so high cost to me.

Could you please answer this, if you could have read my comments..