Bangkok Airways.

:D I really cannot understand this bitching, the guy was an entrepreneur, took a BIG chance to raise the finance, build an airport, lease the planes, train the staff and now the project is successful, in come the jealous whingers. Why didn't YOU take the chance, haven't YOU ever taken a chance in your small life ? Time to think who you would prefer to survive on a deserted island with, certainly none of these guys typing sob stories from their couches !

That´s the point :):D

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's bitching and whinging??? :) What guy was an entrepreneur? Where did the lolly come from??? I'm sure you can't say where the dosh came from and how it was made before it arrived in Samui.... Give me 150 billion Baht (from dubious sources, maybe) and I'll make a successful business. It's not difficult. For goodness sake. Thailand is a prime example of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. Now they have the monopoly, they're milking it to the max. What don't you understand in that? BTW I don't have a couch.

:D:D well said.

A monopolies commission? :) I bet there's only one, which is a monoply!!!! I haven't been to Samui airport since they "upgraded" it so I probably wouldn't recognise the place and get completely lost and have to ask a nice young lady with a uniform, where to go.... :D

:D I really cannot understand this bitching, the guy was an entrepreneur, took a BIG chance to raise the finance, build an airport, lease the planes, train the staff and now the project is successful, in come the jealous whingers. Why didn't YOU take the chance, haven't YOU ever taken a chance in your small life ? Time to think who you would prefer to survive on a deserted island with, certainly none of these guys typing sob stories from their couches !

Oh so true! Right on! :D :D

Who's bitching and whinging??? :) What guy was an entrepreneur? Where did the lolly come from??? I'm sure you can't say where the dosh came from and how it was made before it arrived in Samui.... Give me 150 billion Baht (from dubious sources, maybe) and I'll make a successful business. It's not difficult. For goodness sake. Thailand is a prime example of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. Now they have the monopoly, they're milking it to the max. What don't you understand in that? BTW I don't have a couch.

:D:D well said.

Do you really not know the background of the entrepeneur? Obviously not. You are making many unqualified statements. Easy to do as it's a Forum.

But I would have thought that you would have preferred to be factual in your accusations. :D

can somebody please explain, how much the TICKETprices were -actually-increased (except the intl.departure Tax from 500 to 600)

i remember , that a few years before, the return ticket was already about 8000 baht, and now?

offers are between 6000 and 7600- so what?

Edited by goldfinger

all this talk of the whingers on this thread being cheapskates/cheap charlies etc etc.....??? not cheapskates - just want value for money.

o/w phuket 1000THB+............o/w samui 3000THB+. similar distance. it's <deleted>. :D

it's been mentioned that bangkok airways hike the price up to recuperate the initial investment in the airport. fair enough - a couple of hundred THB per fare is fine......a couple of thousand THB per fare is a joke.

tbh, I preferred the old style airport with the rickety baggage belt - all these fancy open-air lounges and boutiques are pointless. that's where our extortionate fares are going.

I preferred the old terminal as well. What I don't understand are the price comparisons. Phuket is a Government Aerodrome, so is Surat, as such the

landing fees etc are minimal and all the operational/running costs are subsidised by the Thai Taxpayer.

Why don't Nok air etc fly into Samui? Other airlines do, Firefly, Beriyhja, TG. I dunno but I guess Noks profit margins are not high enough after they have parted with the fees.

At the end of the day it is a matter of choice. It's just like choosing the class you want to fly in. If you don't like it, vote with your wallet!

Plenty of other options besides whining. Anyway, I don't like the service the "El cheapo" operators provide. :)

You have every right to fly business class if you wish, for that is your choice. You can also pay well over the odds if you so desire. But why on earth would you refer to others as cheap charlies because the want value for money. Think what a family has to pay.

Ofcourse Nok don't fly out of Samui...if they did all the Bangkok Airways planes would be empty and you would have the choice of any seat that took your fancy :D Atleast if you flew with one of the "budget" carriers you would'nt have to put up with one of Bangkok Airways' stale rolls :D

A monopolies commission? :) I bet there's only one, which is a monoply!!!! I haven't been to Samui airport since they "upgraded" it so I probably wouldn't recognise the place and get completely lost and have to ask a nice young lady with a uniform, where to go.... :D

READ THE THREAD No ones qestioning the guys business acumen. It's about VALUE FOR MONEY. :D

That´s the point :D:D

Pathetic posting :)

READ THE THREAD No ones qestioning the guys business acumen. It's about VALUE FOR MONEY. :D

agreed, it is about value money and it has always been about value for money, so for others to post well it was 8k or 10k before so now we are getting a deal does not address the real issue and that is value for money. 1,500 max each way all in, imo at the most, samui /bkk pure and simple, volume alone will make up for the lower fare.

Pay to play. It's true that BKK Air needs competition on Samui. I guess they allowed Thai in order to prevent a second airport getting built, and sadly that strategy seems to have worked. Thai isn't cheap by any means, and often more than BKK Air.

Other than that, it's defo the best Airline in Thailand. Nothing but exceptionally great service. If it's BHT 1000 more than AirAsia, I'd probably choose BKK Air anyway - less hassle.

It all depends. Some have more time than money. For others, it's the other way around. There's options for everyone.

agreed, it is about value money and it has always been about value for money, so for others to post well it was 8k or 10k before so now we are getting a deal does not address the real issue and that is value for money. 1,500 max each way all in, imo at the most, samui /bkk pure and simple, volume alone will make up for the lower fare.

what do u mean bitching and whinning. If the boss is a good business man. then he or she should know that if u take the busicuit of out your customers they will go else where. bascial rule of business

it's defo the best Airline in Thailand. Nothing but exceptionally great service. If it's BHT 1000 more than AirAsia, I'd probably choose BKK Air anyway - less hassle.

Kindly explain what you mean by 'exceptionally great service'. :)

it's defo the best Airline in Thailand. Nothing but exceptionally great service. If it's BHT 1000 more than AirAsia, I'd probably choose BKK Air anyway - less hassle.

Kindly explain what you mean by 'exceptionally great service'. :D

Yes Nikster, and none of us would mind if it was only 1000 baht more than the budget airlines but it's not is it.

Once again. it's not about being the cheapest, it's about value for money.

However, i too would like to know about the "exceptionally great service" :) It's generally good but maybe you're going a little over the top.........

Actually, I have to be honest. I've always had great service from Bkk air. Checking in they always overlook my overweight luggage and when I've flown in from the U.S. with my two bags 50 lbs each bag they have accepted it free of charge without a blink of an eye even tho the transit time is 6 hours. They also now offer online check in and give you extra weight allowance for doing so. The food is not great but then no airline food is and for an hour flight I don't need a chicken sandwich. I like their Suva lounge, the free food and wifi and comfy chairs is great. Sure its late but then so is every other flight I've ever taken with budget flights.

Yes Nikster, and none of us would mind if it was only 1000 baht more than the budget airlines but it's not is it.

However, i too would like to know about the "exceptionally great service" :D It's generally good but maybe you're going a little over the top.........

My Mother who is very old and crippled has flown BKK Air many times. The care and helpfulness is by far the best we have ever experienced.And it is consistent.

So, in my book, for this alone, I would put a tick against "exceptionally great service" :)

However, i too would like to know about the "exceptionally great service" :D It's generally good but maybe you're going a little over the top.........

My Mother who is very old and crippled has flown BKK Air many times. The care and helpfulness is by far the best we have ever experienced.And it is consistent.

So, in my book, for this alone, I would put a tick against "exceptionally great service" :)

My old mum spent her last couple of years in a wheelchair and the level of standards and helpfulness for users varies hugely, so i understand your sentiments

It's about VALUE FOR MONEY.

For who? You or the shareholders who took a punt (indirectly arguably) and financed USM? Value for money is the convenience for me (this ain't like taxes - you have a myriad of choices outline before), but if you look at the last month (feb) its been quite difficult to get USM-BKK flight with 24-48hrs (min time before you can book on the website) if you have an ideal timeslot, so perhaps they are little inefficient with their pricing and should of been a little higher (as up to on the day there should be at least some availability to clear).

There is no such thing as "Customer comes first", the boss comes first, then his little army, then the shareholders and then you, whatever you are led to believe..

Yes I would like cheaper flights, and as said before I'll be going by train next time (since I have some time), but this is just business and, no difference to barriers to entry anywhere else (such as Heathrow expensive transatlantic slots).

Edited by mattcodes

good grief - some unbelievable bkk air ar5e-licking in this thread: ''oooh, big bad bangkok airways can charge us what they want and we just have to accept it''. :)

probably the same people who think a 200THB singha in the soo-wanna-poom skyloft is good value.

what's failed to realise is that bkk air and any big-boy business are laughing at all the fools who fork out over the odds for a service.

as I said previously, I love bangkok airways and they're the best domestic airline by far, but that doesn't mean I'm happy to be butt-raped for using USM.

I heard a friend of a friend just paid approx 9000THB USM-BKK o/w for him and his g/f. disgusting. I feel for families who are forking out for these fares....especially in today's economic climate.

anyway, this thread has just developed into tit for tat so I'm outta here. good on anyone who has told USM to kiss their backside, and for the rest of you, I hope you enjoy your boutiques & butt-raping at USM.

good grief - some unbelievable bkk air ar5e-licking in this thread: ''oooh, big bad bangkok airways can charge us what they want and we just have to accept it''. :)

probably the same people who think a 200THB singha in the soo-wanna-poom skyloft is good value.

what's failed to realise is that bkk air and any big-boy business are laughing at all the fools who fork out over the odds for a service.

as I said previously, I love bangkok airways and they're the best domestic airline by far, but that doesn't mean I'm happy to be butt-raped for using USM.

I heard a friend of a friend just paid approx 9000THB USM-BKK o/w for him and his g/f. disgusting. I feel for families who are forking out for these fares....especially in today's economic climate.

anyway, this thread has just developed into tit for tat so I'm outta here. good on anyone who has told USM to kiss their backside, and for the rest of you, I hope you enjoy your boutiques & butt-raping at USM.

well said. a family of 4 people are in trouble if they come to samui. they could probably stay in the Dusit thani in phuket for the same price

For who? You or the shareholders who took a punt (indirectly arguably) and financed USM? Value for money is the convenience for me (this ain't like taxes - you have a myriad of choices outline before), but if you look at the last month (feb) its been quite difficult to get USM-BKK flight with 24-48hrs (min time before you can book on the website) if you have an ideal timeslot, so perhaps they are little inefficient with their pricing and should of been a little higher (as up to on the day there should be at least some availability to clear).

There is no such thing as "Customer comes first", the boss comes first, then his little army, then the shareholders and then you, whatever you are led to believe..

Yes I would like cheaper flights, and as said before I'll be going by train next time (since I have some time), but this is just business and, no difference to barriers to entry anywhere else (such as Heathrow expensive transatlantic slots).

its not value for money. its the fact that they can charge what they like so they do. if people keep paying they will keep charging. there is only one way to get back at them and that is to not use them. there is growing need for a gov airport. it is the only way to stop these " crookes" charging out ragous prices. tickets are only worth what people are willing to pay. if there is a govement air port and u have the choice of your" number 1 service" then u can pay through the nose to use it. for all othres there is the cheaper airport the otherside of the island. if people like the service so much they can use it still and pay 4 times more than the other airport. i bet people that support the airport would not use it if they had the choice. for god sake it is just 45 minutes. who cares how good the service is. as long as r where u want to be on time.

its just business. i accept it but like anything u take the buscuit too much people will go away. like me. surat for me good buy bangkok airways and so called resdient card where it is still cheaper online. resident card or not

its not value for money. its the fact that they can charge what they like so they do. if people keep paying they will keep charging. there is only one way to get back at them and that is to not use them. there is growing need for a gov airport. it is the only way to stop these " crookes" charging out ragous prices. tickets are only worth what people are willing to pay. if there is a govement air port and u have the choice of your" number 1 service" then u can pay through the nose to use it. for all othres there is the cheaper airport the otherside of the island. if people like the service so much they can use it still and pay 4 times more than the other airport. i bet people that support the airport would not use it if they had the choice. for god sake it is just 45 minutes. who cares how good the service is. as long as r where u want to be on time.

its just business. i accept it but like anything u take the buscuit too much people will go away. like me. surat for me good buy bangkok airways and so called resdient card where it is still cheaper online. resident card or not

As the poster with a view on everything and anything and who has no intention of listening to other points of view, it might be mildly interesting to hear how you would set about putting in another airport.

(you might get a few clues if you read all the posts pre-Big C). :)

Can I sit on the fence a bit????

Have flown quite a bit with BKK Airways and always really enjoyed the trip. Use of a lounge at both ends with free drinks and snacks, along with papers and internet are little things that us budget travellers never normally get to do. Never had a problem with flights and have managed to get on earlier flights with no hassle at the airport.

However, there can be no disputing that we are also paying through the nose for this service, particularly when measured up against Air Asia with whom we have also travelled many times with no problems. The £ v THB exchange rate certainly hasn't helped and with hotel prices in Samui always heading north (e.g. Lamai Wanta wanted 50% more than what we paid two years ago), then a trip to Samui is close to getting beyond our budget.

We have flown Air Asia via Surat Thani much cheaper and enjoyed the ferry across, but accept that for some taking a whole day out travelling isn't an option (we're lucky that we normally go for 28 days each trip so a leisurely journey isn't a problem). We're going via Surat Thani again this year, as much for the price as the experience, but can understand why some want to leave their BKK hotel at 9:00 and be on the beach for 1:00.

I think as long as some of the richer tourists are prepared to pay a Premium price for a fast trip, then BKK Airways will stay with these prices. Sadly, many see it as a one off cost of getting to and from Samui and are happy to factor it in, whilst regular travellers see it as a Samui tax.

So overall, good service, but not really worth the price, but there isn't much of an alternative!!!!

You guys really need to understand why people pay £3.10 a coffee at top london stations, because ultimately it will make you less angry (about many things). No amount of thaivisa complaining or boycotting will affect it. This fantasy concept of value for money is laughable in the concept of business. I fully expect this to be the devil advocate post of the thread, but think about it, BKK air are not stupid.

Edited by mattcodes

BKK air are not stupid.

Certainly not when it comes to pricing. However what is the purpose of the shopping mall between check in and departures? If they had any sense the whole area would have been inside the departure area allowing passengers to wander about doing some shopping or having a drink etc. Just seems plain dumb to me!

• Like 1

Aside to the value for money and entrepreneur arguments - both of which have merit in my view - friends of mine are thinking about taking their summer holiday with me this year. They are a family of 4 from London.

I have explained to them the costs involved, both for getting here, and the price of price of eating /drinking etc. Everything is a little higher than they remember from a few years ago. Factor in the currency and everything is now over 20% higher than it was just last year!! As a result they are seriously thinking that they cannot afford to come. :)

It would seem to me that Bangkok Airways, together with prices for food and drink, hotel costs etc, and now the currency are all adding up to deter people from coming here. A limited survey I would agree, and not all currencies are behaving quite as badly as sterling, but nonetheless, the anecdotal evidence that I have would point to prices just getting too much for some people. :D

2009 Brits have done 8 million foreign travels less than 2008 worldwide. Germans: 3 million foreign travels less and Russians 2,6 million. It was/is not a Samui only problem.

Why don't you tell that family to check tour packages. PG costs are often absorbed in that and therefore irrelevant.