• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies.wub.png

Guilty as charged for taking this thread off topic.wai.gif

No tell us more about coconuts please. biggrin.png

I've got a lovely bunch.

• Like 1

I nearly always fly air asia from surat. It requires a few extra hours, but it is such a thrill to deny the BA Mafia thst revenue. Really worth the effort.

Agree, when you are on holidays. What if you have to go to Bkk for the weekend? Or just for the day? Unfortunately, BA is the only option then. So the 10%, for those who don't have the Resident Card, is better than nothing

• 2 weeks later...

I beleive you can fly from Suratthani or Phuket to BKK for roughly half the cost!!!!Samui airport and the flights are a complete rip off! mad.gif

NOK AIR . Surat - Don Muang Bht 1426 one way

Air Asia Surat - Suvarnabhumi Bht 1426 one way.

I beleive you can fly from Suratthani or Phuket to BKK for roughly half the cost!!!!Samui airport and the flights are a complete rip off! mad.gif

anyone know the baggage allowance?

Can I sit on the fence a bit????

Have flown quite a bit with BKK Airways and always really enjoyed the trip. Use of a lounge at both ends with free drinks and snacks, along with papers and internet are little things that us budget travellers never normally get to do. Never had a problem with flights and have managed to get on earlier flights with no hassle at the airport.

However, there can be no disputing that we are also paying through the nose for this service, particularly when measured up against Air Asia with whom we have also travelled many times with no problems. The £ v THB exchange rate certainly hasn't helped and with hotel prices in Samui always heading north (e.g. Lamai Wanta wanted 50% more than what we paid two years ago), then a trip to Samui is close to getting beyond our budget.

We have flown Air Asia via Surat Thani much cheaper and enjoyed the ferry across, but accept that for some taking a whole day out travelling isn't an option (we're lucky that we normally go for 28 days each trip so a leisurely journey isn't a problem). We're going via Surat Thani again this year, as much for the price as the experience, but can understand why some want to leave their BKK hotel at 9:00 and be on the beach for 1:00.

I think as long as some of the richer tourists are prepared to pay a Premium price for a fast trip, then BKK Airways will stay with these prices. Sadly, many see it as a one off cost of getting to and from Samui and are happy to factor it in, whilst regular travellers see it as a Samui tax.

So overall, good service, but not really worth the price, but there isn't much of an alternative!!!!

Leave on the first ferry and be in BKK by midday.......probably only 3 hrs travelling to Surat airport, nothing like a whole day, thats exaggerating it a bit !

Apologies.wub.png

Guilty as charged for taking this thread off topic.wai.gif

No tell us more about coconuts please. biggrin.png

Think i might have a rethink about all that land someone here thinks i have over by the prison and Namuang, and start planting coconuts..........Thanks for the encouragement on the 'coconut front' mate .

And i will pop over to Surat and tell the FIL to rip out his 60 rai of Palm Oil and plant coconuts, thats obviously where all the money is these days ! thumbsup.gifwhistling.gif

Oh ! and i must not forget mama's 12 rai of Rubber !

Edited by oldsailor35

Nothing much to grizzle about, probably around Bht250 .......25kg

You certainly will have to pay a little extra for checked in baggage.

Edited by oldsailor35

As Smartiemarty has already said, parking at Surat airport is free with a limited amount of 'undercover' places and it is secure which, wether needed or not, i would not bank on at Samui airport. When you drive into Surat airport you have to pass through a checkpoint and leave some security ( ID drivers licence or something) and there is no way you will get a vehicle out until you reclaim it.

I nearly always fly air asia from surat. It requires a few extra hours, but it is such a thrill to deny the BA Mafia thst revenue. Really worth the effort.

Agree, when you are on holidays. What if you have to go to Bkk for the weekend? Or just for the day? Unfortunately, BA is the only option then. So the 10%, for those who don't have the Resident Card, is better than nothing

I found the resident card to be a SCAM. It was a discount off the full fare! So, the price is usually higher than the lowest fare available, and it is still one of the highest fares on the planet, per km. traveled. It is a pure and simply Mafia operation.

Air Asia 15kg for free plus carry on

If you print out your boarding pass, they do not have an opportunity to check the weight of your carry on bags. You are only allowed 7 kg. But, you can get away with far more, as long as you do not check in. If you check in, with Air Asia, they almost always weigh your bag. Bangkok Air is far more liberal with baggage. But, for those kinds of rates, they should be!

Can I sit on the fence a bit????

Have flown quite a bit with BKK Airways and always really enjoyed the trip. Use of a lounge at both ends with free drinks and snacks, along with papers and internet are little things that us budget travellers never normally get to do. Never had a problem with flights and have managed to get on earlier flights with no hassle at the airport.

However, there can be no disputing that we are also paying through the nose for this service, particularly when measured up against Air Asia with whom we have also travelled many times with no problems. The £ v THB exchange rate certainly hasn't helped and with hotel prices in Samui always heading north (e.g. Lamai Wanta wanted 50% more than what we paid two years ago), then a trip to Samui is close to getting beyond our budget.

We have flown Air Asia via Surat Thani much cheaper and enjoyed the ferry across, but accept that for some taking a whole day out travelling isn't an option (we're lucky that we normally go for 28 days each trip so a leisurely journey isn't a problem). We're going via Surat Thani again this year, as much for the price as the experience, but can understand why some want to leave their BKK hotel at 9:00 and be on the beach for 1:00.

I think as long as some of the richer tourists are prepared to pay a Premium price for a fast trip, then BKK Airways will stay with these prices. Sadly, many see it as a one off cost of getting to and from Samui and are happy to factor it in, whilst regular travellers see it as a Samui tax.

So overall, good service, but not really worth the price, but there isn't much of an alternative!!!!

Leave on the first ferry and be in BKK by midday.......probably only 3 hrs travelling to Surat airport, nothing like a whole day, thats exaggerating it a bit !

NOT REALLY. If you take the afternoon flight, at 2:20pm, you have to catch a ferry by 10am, in order to be safe. It arrives at Don Sak at 11:30, and by the time you get to Surat Thani, at 12:30, and transfer to another bus (yes, the system is that primitive) you will get to the airport about 1:30, and arrive in Bangkok about 3:30. So, it is the better part of a day. I do not mind it, as I live here, and have the time. But, it is a real time expenditure. If you want the morning flight out of surat, you have to stay the night before in Surat Thani, as it is too risky to try for the 5am ferry. It cuts it too close. When you return, the bus goes directly to the ferry pier, so the 2:20 flight arrives at the airport at 3:20, and you can make the 6pm ferry. But your arrival in Nathon at 7:30 means you still spent the better part of a day. The new airport in Don Sak, will cut 90 minutes off this process, each way. The contract has already been signed, and a new international airport will be under construction shortly. That will mean Bangkok Air will be forced to lower their prices.

Pattaya BKK 120 baht air con bus. BKK Airways are i would say 30% of the reason i left Samui, its about time the locals sorted them out, other wise, well i was going to say they will kill the islands tourism but that may be a case of closing the gate aftr the horse has bolted. i HATE them with a passion. That flight was used alot by Thais who do not have a lot of money, they have now deprived them of that service, from affordability reasons.

Funny how the mention of Bangkok Airways brings out the vitriol from the same old posters!

I think that BKK Air are great...reliable,comfortable and plenty of services. Not everyone wants to travel in misery. I really don't want to

drive to Nathon, spend a couple of hours on the ferry, and then drive to Surat in the hope that the aircraft is on time.

Many people here wish to be able to get to BKK and carry out a days work and be back late afternoon. You can't do that using Surat.

Anyway, we go round this subject every few months ad nauseum. If you can arrange your life you can get reasonable deals. I have a return

BKK-Samui for 4200 plus taxes 5900. The air miles are also a good bonus as is the residents discount card. (just coming up for renewal)

We Love Bangkok Airways (that should raise a pulse or two)!! tongue.giftongue.gif

biggrin.gif Me too ! I hear BKK Air donate cash to purchase boats and help Samui's kids fly to compete in regattas.

Probably a donation of about 100 baht per month! The mafia rarely engages in charity.

well if u have a thai girl friend and a thai kid and u live on samui. to fly to bangkok rtn u r looking around 30 000 baht. as apposed to about 15 k with air asia. so gov airport is needed. the serice might be good but it is only 45 minutes of the day./ i would rarther spend my money on better accmodation.was interested in what taupo67 said as a tourist. i would be interested in what other tourist say about how they feel about paying extra and getting " less value for holiday" becuase all there money has been spent on flights

You are obviously completely correct here. It won't change though as there seem to be enough selfish "i'm alright jacks" living here. wink.gif

No, it can, and it will change. The airport in Don Sak has already been approved. From what I am told it was spearheaded by the governor of Surat province, who despises both Bangkok Air, and Jaikwong Ramnate, our lovely, charitable and caring mayor. The airport will be under construction soon, and Bangkok Airways will have no choice but to lower their rates. The airport will be just a few minutes from the ferry terminal, and it will be international, with flights arriving from overseas. Will compete with the Phuket airport, in terms of being a regional hub. It will be what we call a real "game changer", and many of us feel it is about time for something progressive to happen in this region of very, very little progress and creativity.

NOT REALLY. If you take the afternoon flight, at 2:20pm, you have to catch a ferry by 10am, in order to be safe. It arrives at Don Sak at 11:30, and by the time you get to Surat Thani, at 12:30, and transfer to another bus (yes, the system is that primitive) you will get to the airport about 1:30, and arrive in Bangkok about 3:30. So, it is the better part of a day. I do not mind it, as I live here, and have the time. But, it is a real time expenditure. If you want the morning flight out of surat, you have to stay the night before in Surat Thani, as it is too risky to try for the 5am ferry. It cuts it too close. When you return, the bus goes directly to the ferry pier, so the 2:20 flight arrives at the airport at 3:20, and you can make the 6pm ferry. But your arrival in Nathon at 7:30 means you still spent the better part of a day. The new airport in Don Sak, will cut 90 minutes off this process, each way. The contract has already been signed, and a new international airport will be under construction shortly. That will mean Bangkok Air will be forced to lower their prices.

Too true. I'm leaving Samui on June 1, and based on the following information, and previously travelling to Surat Thani to fly from there, I chose to travel on Bangkok Airways.

These fees are from both airlines' websites, current as of today.

-

URT > BKK - Friday June 1 2012

1 Guest @ 1,488.79 THB

50.00 THB - Airport Tax

107.72 THB - VAT

1,646.51 THB - Total

Check-in baggage up to 15kg - 250.01 THB (16.67/kg)

Check-in baggage up to 20kg - 290.00 THB (14.50/kg)

Check-in baggage up to 25kg - 428.00 THB (17.12/kg)

Check-in baggage up to 30kg - 535.00 THB (17.83/kg)

Check-in baggage up to 35kg - 750.00 THB (21.43/kg)

Check-in baggage up to 40kg - 970.00 THB (24.25/kg)

Total with 20kg of checked baggage = 1936.51*

*does not include the cost, nor the life-sucking time of travel from Samui to Surat Thani (which can cost around 1000THB if you don't have a car)

USM > BKK - Friday June 1 2012

1 Guest @ 3,200.00 THB

300.00 THB - Taxes

3,500.00 THB - Total

Check-in baggage up to 20kg - Free

Check-in baggage up to 25kg - 350.00 THB (14.00/kg)

Check-in baggage up to 30kg - 700.00 THB (23.33/kg)

Check-in baggage up to 35kg - 1050.00 THB (30.00/kg)

Check-in baggage up to 40kg - 1400.00 THB (35.00/kg)

Total with 20kg of checked baggage = 3,500.00*

*does not include the 400THB, 25 minute, taxi ride to the airport

So, all up, I'm paying a thousand baht to save myself three hours of travel. Chump change.

Edited by jamesbrock

all this talk of the whingers on this thread being cheapskates/cheap charlies etc etc.....??? not cheapskates - just want value for money.

o/w phuket 1000THB+............o/w samui 3000THB+. similar distance. it's <deleted>. jerk.gif

it's been mentioned that bangkok airways hike the price up to recuperate the initial investment in the airport. fair enough - a couple of hundred THB per fare is fine......a couple of thousand THB per fare is a joke.

tbh, I preferred the old style airport with the rickety baggage belt - all these fancy open-air lounges and boutiques are pointless. that's where our extortionate fares are going.

I preferred the old terminal as well. What I don't understand are the price comparisons. Phuket is a Government Aerodrome, so is Surat, as such the

landing fees etc are minimal and all the operational/running costs are subsidised by the Thai Taxpayer.

Why don't Nok air etc fly into Samui? Other airlines do, Firefly, Beriyhja, TG. I dunno but I guess Noks profit margins are not high enough after they have parted with the fees.

At the end of the day it is a matter of choice. It's just like choosing the class you want to fly in. If you don't like it, vote with your wallet!

Plenty of other options besides whining. Anyway, I don't like the service the "El cheapo" operators provide. rolleyes.gif

No discount airline will EVER be granted permission to land in Samui. You are completely missing the point. The only airlines that were granted right to land in Samui, were the ones charging comparable, or higher prices than the Bangkok Airways Mafia. Have you checked their prices lately? $300 round trip to KL? $250 to Penang. Thai charges the same, or more than BA. So, there you have it.

No, it can, and it will change. The airport in Don Sak has already been approved. From what I am told it was spearheaded by the governor of Surat province, who despises both Bangkok Air, and Jaikwong Ramnate, our lovely, charitable and caring mayor. The airport will be under construction soon, and Bangkok Airways will have no choice but to lower their rates. The airport will be just a few minutes from the ferry terminal, and it will be international, with flights arriving from overseas. Will compete with the Phuket airport, in terms of being a regional hub. It will be what we call a real "game changer", and many of us feel it is about time for something progressive to happen in this region of very, very little progress and creativity.

So it's not confirmed, it's what you're been told. If this would've been the case, contract signed etc, how come nobody has picked up on it except the grapevine? I for once wish it was true but don't believe it until I see it.

Second part, the governor of Surat province. Isn't that the guy who's been ripping off Samui since the last 20 years or so, no wonder he doesn't like our current mayor. The current mayor is trying to keep Samui's money on Samui, how it should be. Our current mayor is not perfect but he's by far better than any one who governed over Samui during the last 20 years. Just in my humble opinion.

Edited by limbos

Its about time that certain people realised that tourism is the backbone of this islands economy (not coconuts) and until the Bangkok Air monopoly is broken, Samui will continue to stagnate. Just look around, forget the 5 star resorts, many of which are doing it tough. See how many businesses are closing, loosing jobs and income. The only business booming here has got to be Bangkok Air, and they in fact have us all by the "short and curlies"

Yes in the beginning, they were good for Samui, but greed and power has taken over. Yes, maybe there are a few here that are well off and want to see this happening as they do not want to share their lifestyle with the 'riff raff' as we have already been told here. But there are many not so well off who just want a decent lifestyle with a reasonable income for their families. Sadly this is being crucified by the greedy directors of Bangkok Air, who are using their monopoly.

If you say Bkk Airways business is booming why would they change anything? The only thing that's needed is a new airport government run. As for hotels and resorts doing it tough bad luck for them they are also greedy with there over priced room's. Let me know how much of the Samui economy is made on the back of the coconut and you will be surprised.

Its about time that certain people realised that tourism is the backbone of this islands economy (not coconuts) and until the Bangkok Air monopoly is broken, Samui will continue to stagnate. Just look around, forget the 5 star resorts, many of which are doing it tough. See how many businesses are closing, loosing jobs and income. The only business booming here has got to be Bangkok Air, and they in fact have us all by the "short and curlies"

Yes in the beginning, they were good for Samui, but greed and power has taken over. Yes, maybe there are a few here that are well off and want to see this happening as they do not want to share their lifestyle with the 'riff raff' as we have already been told here. But there are many not so well off who just want a decent lifestyle with a reasonable income for their families. Sadly this is being crucified by the greedy directors of Bangkok Air, who are using their monopoly.

If you say Bkk Airways business is booming why would they change anything? The only thing that's needed is a new airport government run. As for hotels and resorts doing it tough bad luck for them they are also greedy with there over priced room's. Let me know how much of the Samui economy is made on the back of the coconut and you will be surprised.

John1, today they collected coconuts at our house. My wife is local, so I would say we get fair prices. 3 Bht today per coconut, down from 10 Baht per coconut about a year ago.

Doesn't sound like good business to me!

Second part, the governor of Surat province. Isn't that the guy who's been ripping off Samui since the last 20 years or so, no wonder he doesn't like our current mayor. The current mayor is trying to keep Samui's money on Samui, how it should be. Our current mayor is not perfect but he's by far better than any one who governed over Samui during the last 20 years. Just in my humble opinion.

Spot on. clap2.gif