Boat Mooring Chalong / Rawai Area

dwtgray

Hi, I am moving from close to Heroines monument down to Rawai area and need some advice from the locals down there.

I have a small speedboat which at the moment is kept in Boat lagoon, I don't very much like the thought of that drive each time I want to go out but have also heard horror stories about keeping private boats in the Chalong / Rawai area.

Any suggestions about a suitable location to moor the boat would be welcome, thanks.

Doubtful, Bongman who owns the whole place nearly would have your guts for garters, he is very defensive of his bay. Never heard of an engine going missing in Ao Yon, or Rawai for that matter [stay in with the longtail guys], Chalong is a different matter though.

Doubtful, Bongman who owns the whole place nearly would have your guts for garters, he is very defensive of his bay. Never heard of an engine going missing in Ao Yon, or Rawai for that matter [stay in with the longtail guys], Chalong is a different matter though.

It happens. A friend of mine had his 15hp outboard stolen whilst the boat was tied up on the beach.

Another friend had his RIB stabbed to death, again whilst tied up on the beach.

In saying that, this can happen anywhere. Ao yon is pretty safe and sheltered, though it's very busy and moorings are tight.

It happens. A friend of mine had his 15hp outboard stolen whilst the boat was tied up on the beach.

In saying that, this can happen anywhere. Ao yon is pretty safe and sheltered, though it's very busy and moorings are tight.

and that was at ao yon?

Ultimately, any 'drying' mooring carries the risk of potential theft/damage (Rawai for example). Swinging moorings such as Chalong Bay/Ao Yon carry a similar risk. Of the 3 (Rawai/Chalong/Ao Yon), I think you're perhaps safer at Ao Yon. But, speak to the locals to seek current advice (for example, a few of the boating fraternity at the Ship Inn). There is a local at Ao Yon who owns most of the land adjacent to the beaches, and is a good guy to introduce yourself to before installing your mooring (he can also arrange to have this done for you). Simple etiquette really, but do some local research and make a plan before moving your boat there. I've considered the options you describe also, as I keep my boat at Ao Po. However, all things considered, not least of which is access at low tide, I prefer to keep my (trailer) boat in a secure area, with full tidal access.

Careful mark, people will insinuate your making stuff up if you hint that bad things sometimes happen :)

Ao Yon is superb value moorings IMO, the guy I know had a mid 50 ft yacht there for 500 baht per month.. I expected much more.. It also a lovely bit of the island.

Careful mark, people will insinuate your making stuff up if you hint that bad things sometimes happen :)

Ao Yon is superb value moorings IMO, the guy I know had a mid 50 ft yacht there for 500 baht per month.. I expected much more.. It also a lovely bit of the island.

Sure, there is no doubt about it, Ao Yon is a superb location. Pretty sheltered, access at all states of tide, restaurants nearby etc etc. I have kept my own dinghy there for the last 4 years with no problems whatsoever, though i DO pay my rental directly to Bangman and i am down there most weekends so he knows my name and my face. Was just pointing out that i personally know 2 guys who have been victims of crime. Nothing to suggest it was locals. For all i know, a passing cruiser could have stolen the outboard..........and the other vicitm could have been because of a business decision. Not trying to put people off, just trying to set the record straight that 'some' crime has happened at Ao Yon.

That being said, Bangman and the other locals do keep a pretty good eye on things, and if your boat happens to drag a mooring in heavy weather, they will do something about it. (and charge you 2k baht for the rescue - but that's life)

As Pagalim says, Ao Por is also pretty good - though if you live on the south of the island, it's pretty far away.

Chalong bay is popular but it's so tidal there and the mud stinks ! Trying to launch a dinghy at low tide is horrible !

Bangman and the other locals do keep a pretty good eye on things, and if your boat happens to drag a mooring in heavy weather, they will do something about it. (and charge you 2k baht for the rescue - but that's life)

Better than the alternative !!