Security Alarm Screws Up The Electrical System

My friend had his big bike fixed with alarm system at the shop in Soi Bou Khow in Pattaya, the shop brightly lightled with many fluorescent lights outside and at the front, display many suspension and fairing for small bikes at the Mai Thai Complex.

He witnessed terrible workmanship, the mechanic cut wires here and there and rewired it back without using some metal clip to snap it together, he even cut away the original clip, but my friend insisted him to solder it back, he told the owner but the owner said they knew what they were doing. The worker was too impatient and trying to cut short for his work, and not give a shit about customer's bike for the years to come, same with the owner's attitude, as more problems to your bike means more business to them.

Everything seemed ok until he went home and tried to restart the bike, it couln't start. Tried the next morning and was ok until some terrible thing happened, the starter was starting non stop grining the engine, even when the key was pulled out, cut the power wires to the alarm, took back to the shop and was checked ok, the mechanic said now only wired for alarm and did not go to the cpu of the bike.

The next day, tried starting the bike and was faced with the same problem, the starter was starting the engine non stop, talked to the boss and was asked to bring the bike down to the shop at my friend's own expenses, even though one of the mechanic stays close by.

So, I told him to disconnect the battery, and let the system reset, hopefully it can get started in the morning to get back to the f***ing shop and get out the F***ing alarm syatem.

I think it is not a good idea to put alarm on bike, especially big bike, with complicated CPU system.

Secondly, with this kind of workmanship in Thailand, your bike will definitely has some electrical problem in the near future, as the wires loosen and disconnect.

Thirdly as the alarm consumes power, when it falls below certain voltage, the bike or the alarm system will go crazy like this case, for this I am not sure, but I guess this is the reason for my friend's bike.

Go with disc lock and chain and avoid alarm and if you are in Pattaya, avoid this shop at all cost, they will do small bike for repair here and there, but definitely not electrical wiring, shity job. Bad service. :):D

Just an oh-so-typical experience at independent bike shops of the sort that will do any work on big bikes, except usually there's a ripoff on the parts as well. That's why one should buy new from a legit dealer who can offer proper service. Or, one can stick to simple, common, well-understood small bikes such as Honda Dream.

So what else is new?