Bangkok Bank Bomb Attacks Link To Red Shirts

webfact

Attacks link to red shirts

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_29406.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Following the arrest of two suspects, police yesterday suggested a recent grenade attack at the Bangkok Bank head office was linked to red-shirt movement.

"Both suspects have con-fessed they acted because they appreciate the red shirt ideology and activities," city Police Commissioner Lt General Santhan Chayanont said yesterday.

The suspects were identi-fied as Ekachai Moonket, 21, and Sawai Yangsantiah, 48.

Ekachai was arrested on Saturday. He then implicated Sawai, one of his uncles.

Ekachai is a delivery boy for an ice-cream shop at CP Tower on Silom Road. He said Sawai encouraged him to drive a bomber to the Bangkok Bank head office, which is also on Silom Road, on the night of February 27.

Three other grenade attacks were reported around Bangkok on the same night. They took place a day after the Supreme Court ruled to seize Bt46 billion of assets from former PM Thaksin Shinawatra and his family on grounds that he abused his power while in the top office.

Ekachai has been charged with illegal possession of explosives and causing an explosion that damaged other's property. Sawai, a limousine driver, was charged with encouraging a person to carry out a bombing. Both face jail, if convicted.

"They said other red shirts have told them to wreak havoc in the capital. They said they did so out of igno-rance," Santhan said, "They insisted no one hired them to carry out the attack". Police are investigating this case further and are now going after the bomber. Santhan said a tipster would receive Bt200,000 cash reward if he or she could provide police with information leading to the bomber's arrest. "We expect to arrest the bomber soon," he said. Police hope to arrest the bomber soon.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-08

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

RUBBISH.

So it's gone from a motorcycle driver to driving him to do it re the other post on this TV news and B200,000. is a lot of cash to a Thai. Who got the money?

Edited by OZEMADE

RUBBISH.

So it's gone from a motorcycle driver to driving him to do it re the other post on this TV news and B200,000. is a lot of cash to a Thai. Who got the money?

You should try reading the article.

"Police are investigating this case further and are now going after the bomber. Santhan said a tipster would receive Bt200,000 cash reward if he or she could provide police with information leading to the bomber's arrest."

No one has the money yet. It will go to anyone providing information leading to the bomber's arrest.

You don't really thank they would connect with yellow shirts do you?

No, because the PAD/NPP don't currently have a million-man-march project planned, or a commander-less Peoples' Army of Thailand, and have not been promising bombing-campaigns or publicising lists of marked-men. Not really their current style, is it ? :)

But if Thaksin were to vigorously condemn Panlop & Seh Daeng, as being totally undemocratic, and not connected with him/his in any way, then there might be at least slightly more doubt, about this all being part of his plan to fight back against justice ! :D

"Both suspects have con-fessed they acted because they appreciate the red shirt ideology and activities,"

Sometimes friends can be your own worst enemy. Saying, because they believe in a cause they are linked, is like saying people that burn research labs work for PETA.. Still in need of a little more in the way of evidence otherwise.

"They insisted no one hired them to carry out the attack"

A statement which will not be believed even if the first one is, its a matter of complete convenience on the part of Government activists and cast, but given the activity I would have to keep open that it is possible they were. Unfortunately it won't be a matter of only a possible as the propaganda machines get a hold of it.

Large damage to Red cause for sure. Duce your serve Mr. PM

Another mainstream English language daily newspaper had a report on the same thing that was different in a couple crucial areas. The Nation just seems to again be instigating hatred of the entire Red movement. News at 11.

What were the differences? I read article an article in an English language paper and thought it said pretty much the same thing as the Nation's article. Maybe it was a different English language newspaper that you read.

Throwing grenades around is not acceptable on any level. Ordinary citizen's and legitimate business has the right to live & work without the fear of violent attacks. The perpetrators should be punished.

I've long felt this was most likely the act of a lone person or small group of people who got a little too carried away with all the propaganda being put out by the reds.

There's a big difference between two nutters doing something on their own, or following orders from those higher up.

If violence is to draw attention they must accept they may be punished. Not unlike the acts of civil dis-obediance which are the braking of the law and fully accepting the fact that the enforcement of the law is an accepted price for the attention. That meaning civil dis-obediance is not a valid defence in the law but in fact it is known before hand that punishment will follow.

The fact that justice delayed is justice denied does play a roll in the feeling of the other side. Holding the airport and government house rapist above the law adds much heat to this fire and gives some the feeling they too can do as they please. reap that which you sow.

If violence is to draw attention they must accept they may be punished. Not unlike the acts of civil dis-obediance which are the braking of the law and fully accepting the fact that the enforcement of the law is an accepted price for the attention. That meaning civil dis-obediance is not a valid defence in the law but in fact it is known before hand that punishment will follow.

The fact that justice delayed is justice denied does play a roll in the feeling of the other side. Holding the airport and government house rapist above the law adds much heat to this fire and gives some the feeling they too can do as they please. reap that which you sow.

i think the red camp got quit a good combination here, and no wonder why thaksin and the red really love being together.

thaksin got big brain and big money. his supporter got big mucel (compair to their brain size) with a version of democracy = the right and oppotunity to make some extra cash.

i am sure any nation with a sinister smart rich guy like thaksin support by majority that happily act like a parasite of democracy can never go any where far.

Sometimes labels are true and have power -- red shirt terrorists. Why the wimpiness of the Thai press and legitimate government to spell it out? Its time for the Thai majority to mobilize in clear opposition to the violent red terrorists.

Edited by Jingthing

Another mainstream English language daily newspaper had a report on the same thing that was different in a couple crucial areas. The Nation just seems to again be instigating hatred of the entire Red movement. News at 11.

Hatred of red shirt terrorists who throw armed weapons is well justified. I think you are treading on thin ice being sympathetic to these kinds of criminals. Not really surprising I suppose from people who actually believe Truth Today's rewriting of the history of Black Songkran. Black Songkran says all we need to know about the elements that are massing this week in Bangkok.

Edited by Jingthing

The Nation keeps banging on about the Bangkok Bank Head Office and HQ having been bombed.

The grenade was actually thrown outside the Bangkok Bank Silom Road branch about 1 km away between the Indian Temple and the Holiday Inn (on the opposite side of the road).

Are they deliberately trying to elevate the gravity of the situation by mis-reporting?

The Bangkok Post is more accurate in its description, stating it is the BB branch opposite Wat Kheek (Indian Temple) .

Sometimes labels are true and have power -- red shirt terrorists. Why the wimpiness of the Thai press and legitimate government to spell it out? Its time for the Thai majority to mobilize in clear opposition to the violent red terrorists.

No. Let the reds get a few thousand people to protest and waste a bit more of Thaksin's money. Let the army and government deal with the violence. Confronting the violent reds with just cause more violence.

The rest should make sure that the next election is fair, with no corruption and allowing all candidates to campaign. Educate the people about what a fair and non-corrupt election is all about.

No. Let the reds get a few thousand people to protest and waste a bit more of Thaksin's money. Let the army and government deal with the violence. Confronting the violent reds with just cause more violence.

The rest should make sure that the next election is fair, with no corruption and allowing all candidates to campaign. Educate the people about what a fair and non-corrupt election is all about.

Would you be wanting to educate the Red or Yellow shirts on democracy and corruption? Neither side can claim to have the moral high ground on democracy or corruption. Who will do the educating?

Would you be wanting to educate the Red or Yellow shirts on democracy and corruption? Neither side can claim to have the moral high ground on democracy or corruption. Who will do the educating?

I think there is a middle ground out there that are sick of the corruption of both sides.

But no more on that. Too many of my off topic posts (but legitimate responses) are being deleted.

It's easy to finger someone for a crime. Nothing to it. Just phone in the particulars. What is more difficult is producing the evidence (witnesses etc) that would be so obviously persuasive that the accused simply cave in and admit their culpability.

What evidence was presented to the kid to cause him to 'admit' to having driven the motorbike? And if it wasn't 'evidence' that persuaded the kid to 'fess up- what was it?

The kid will be- and he must be smart enough to figure this out- the least popular red on the block right now. To put it mildly. Anyway- even if it were not his intention, his 'admission' along with the Pattalung arms theft, creates yet one more case for martial law- or worse.

Its time for the Thai majority to mobilize in clear opposition to the violent red terrorists.

Are you calling for civil war? or just another march?

Thaksin is already calling for a civil war. I think Abhisit needs to be stronger in response to terrorists. If he is too weak, there likely will be another coup, and nobody really wants that. I understand the subdued measured game Abhisit is playing and I wish him luck with it, but I think the violent reality of the red tactics needs to be fully acknowledged and dealt with more decisively as would happen in most countries of the world. The reds have given just a taste of blood so far at Black Songkran (etc.); why give them a chance to go further when they have already made it quite clear they will do anything to reach their questionable goal?

Edited by Jingthing

Throwing grenades around is not acceptable on any level. Ordinary citizen's and legitimate business has the right to live & work without the fear of violent attacks. The perpetrators should be punished.

I think that goes without saying. :)

It would be nice if the dear leader Thaksin would SAY IT THEN often, and clearly. But he does not do that. What are we to conclude from that?

I think that goes without saying. :)

I think you're forgetting where we are.

I been calling them fishwrappers for almost all my life that is expecially true in Thailand I understand their News on TV is just as bias

Edited by hardy1943