Driving In The Usa With A Thai Drivers License

I will be travelling to the USA for a 2 week holiday and will be driving my fathers car while there. Is my Thai Drivers License legal while I am there and will his car insurance cover me while I am driving around?

Edited by ericg1953

The answer is probably yes to both, because if it is yes to the first it should mean it is yes to the second, but the answer to the first question depends on what state you are going to be driving in. For example in California where IDP's are not accepted, a foreign DL from a foriegn country in which you are a resident is all that's needed to drive legally. It wouldn't hurt to contact the insurance carrier for a precise answer on the second question though.

What state are you going to be driving in?

Definitely contact the insurance carrier's office and ask about the coverage for this situation and also check with the DMV for the state in question. You could ask the insurance carrier also about a Thai license and the coverage and see what they say.

I agree with above info that you should be fine but just to clarify one incorrect statement.

California does accept an IDP. All 50 states do, they don't have the option not to. The issue is whether they require it along with the foreign license. Most of the big tourist states don't have a problem letting tourists drive with just a foreign license.

It wouldn't hurt to contact the insurance carrier for a precise answer on the second question though.

When I go home, not US, both my father and my brother add me as a named driver to their policies.

Sober I hope. :)

I agree with above info that you should be fine but just to clarify one incorrect statement.

California does accept an IDP. All 50 states do, they don't have the option not to. The issue is whether they require it along with the foreign license. Most of the big tourist states don't have a problem letting tourists drive with just a foreign license.

I'm sorry Joe, but you are wrong.

From California DMV website:

International Driving Permits

The State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP) as a valid driver license. California does recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident.

The IDP is only a translation of information contained on a person’s foreign driver license and is not required to operate a motor vehicle in California. Citations issued to a person in California who has an IDP, but does not have a California driver license will be placed on the Department of Motor Vehicle database.

The IDP is also called an International Driver License, International License, etc.

For more information about travel and driver licensing requirements outside of the US, visit the US State Department Road Safety Overseas website at: http://travel.state.gov/road_safety.html

Its a strange way for DMV to say it since you need to have the DL from your home country along with and IDP anyway, but essentially this means in California the IDP is not necessary. This is what I was taught as a cop in CA and it appears to still be the case.

I don't have time now but one can easily check the Florida DMV website.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

The State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP) as a valid driver license. California does recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident.

The IDP is only a translation of information contained on a person’s foreign driver license and is not required to operate a motor vehicle in California. Citations issued to a person in California who has an IDP, but does not have a California driver license will be placed on the Department of Motor Vehicle database.

The IDP is also called an International Driver License, International License, etc.

For more information about travel and driver licensing requirements outside of the US, visit the US State Department Road Safety Overseas website at: http://travel.state.gov/road_safety.html

Its a strange way for DMV to say it since you need to have the DL from your home country along with and IDP anyway, but essentially this means in California the IDP is not necessary. This is what I was taught as a cop in CA and it appears to still be the case.

Interesting Scuba....

but, I drove car and rode a bike in Cali with IDP. Got stopped once and cop told me not to forget that I can use this license for only first 30 days upon arrival in USA. :)

When 30 days expired I used my British license and no problem even after being involved in freeway accident.

There are differences betwee na IDP or a IDL. International Driving Permit is only a translation, so you NEED the original Drive License. Im from Switzerland the there we have a International Drive Licese, issued by the Natianal Swiss ministery of transportation, can use for 3 years (IDP normally only 1 year), and this should be legal to drive without the local foreign license (at the last page of this IDL are all, about 40 countries registered which had signed up this agrement), but if you have both, IDL and Local Home License, it's even better. Edited by stingray

"I'm sorry Joe, but you are wrong."

The way California words it is confusing. They are just saying that they don't require the IDP along with the foreign. That is thier option. But all 50 states have to accept the IDP (when carried with the valid foreign license). They have no choice in this. It's a federal requirement because we signed the international treaty.

Edited by Smokin Joe

Interesting Scuba....

but, I drove car and rode a bike in Cali with IDP. Got stopped once and cop told me not to forget that I can use this license for only first 30 days upon arrival in USA. :)

When 30 days expired I used my British license and no problem even after being involved in freeway accident.

Yes that all seems right to me. Your experience is not actually contradictory to my statements. Here is why:

First: Nothing says you can't drive with an IDP, or even present it to a cop, but it's not necessary since the DL from your resident county is all thats needed and required to be present with the IDP translation anyway, ie: it wouldn't matter whether you presented the IDP in California or not as long as you present the DL, that is all the law requires.

Second: There are different requirements for a tourist/visitor and for a resident. Residents, both foreign or citizen (ie from another state), are required to get a local state issued license within a certain amount of time. That time depends on the new state you are residing in. When you are a CA resident, you are required to eventually have a CA license. When you are NOT a CA resident, you can drive on a foreign license if you are resident in the foreign country.

Crobiker if I recall you would have probably been considered a resident, albiet a temporary one, in CA. The OP will be a vistor/non-resident and thus can actually drive beyond the 10-90 days (depending on the state) on the foreign license, (and no IDP is required.) I think in the first incident the cop identified you as a resident, and in the second they probably didn't care or check, as there were more important issues and it's really a minor point.

Back to the OP's original question concerning Florida: I could not find any reference to foreign licenses on the Florida DMV site, but I did find several none-official references.

From https://driversed.com/DMV/florida-foreign-drivers.aspx

If you are visiting Florida for a short time and you plan on driving during your trip, you may use a drivers license issued by another state or country. However, if you choose to stay in Florida for more than a one year period or accept employment within the state, you will have to surrender your license and obtain an official Florida drivers license.

Another from http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content45368.aspx

Normally if you have a valid foreign driver's license you can drive a car in Florida. The FL driver's handbook states that any non-resident who is at least 16 years old may drive in Florida without a Florida driver license, if they have a valid license from another state or country.

Typically in the United States you can drive up to 12 months on your valid foreign license as a visitor or tourist. If you move to Florida and have a valid license from another state or country, you must get a Florida license within 30 days of becoming a resident. You are considered a resident of Florida if you:

* Enroll your children in public school, or

* Register to vote, or

* File for a homestead exemption, or

* Accept employment, or

* Reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months.

If your driver's license is not in English than it would be helpful if you obtained an International Driving Permit (IDP) before coming to the United States so that your license is translated into English in case law enforcement or others need to verify that your license is valid.

To find out how long you can drive in Florida on your foreign license and about your specific situation contact the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (HSMV). As for insurance to drive a car, if it is someone else's car than they need to make sure you are covered to operate their vehicle.

If you want to get your own vehicle to drive than it will be difficult to get insurance without a Florida license since Florida insurance providers will normally require you have a state license for them to rate you on.

Thai licenses are printed in both English and Thai now, but if you have to old Thai license that isn't in English, check with your Land Transport Department to see about getting a translation (IDP) with it.

There are differences betwee na IDP or a IDL. International Driving Permit is only a translation, so you NEED the original Drive License. Im from Switzerland the there we have a International Drive Licese, issued by the Natianal Swiss ministery of transportation, can use for 3 years (IDP normally only 1 year), and this should be legal to drive without the local foreign license (at the last page of this IDL are all, about 40 countries registered which had signed up this agrement), but if you have both, IDL and Local Home License, it's even better.

Yeah Europe has some unique rules governing licenses. You can get one which is designed for just Europe. Not sure if that is what you are talking about, but could be. Valid in EU countries. If that is an actual DL, not just a translation, then it should presumably be valid by itself in the U.S. as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_driving_licence

"I'm sorry Joe, but you are wrong."

The way California words it is confusing. They are just saying that they don't require the IDP along with the foreign. That is thier option. But all 50 states have to accept the IDP (when carried with the valid foreign license). They have no choice in this. It's a federal requirement because we signed the international treaty.

I believe it's just the way California has decided to apply the international convention. They just go one step further and say "we will accept the foreign DL without the IDP" giving more, not less, rights to the foreigner than that afforded by the international conventions. And if I am recalling correctly from my cop days in California, in 1995-2001 the reason for this position is the convoluted way in which IDP's/IDL's etc are haphazardly issued and regulated. There are so many bogus places selling them hoping to fool people, especially now on the internet, including the Google banner ad that is frequently seen on Thaivisa.com. California just finally just said screw it, we don't need them, so many are not issued by proper authorities, which in most all western counties are the automobile associations. In Thailand the Land Transport Department does it.

It's also clear to me that this line: "The State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP) as a valid driver license." Is to address the number of very authentic looking but totally bogus IDL's (L as in license, not a translation) being sold on the internet. These have the look and feel of a real DL, not the larger passport style IDP translations which are issued legitimately by automobile association. They are also clarifying that the IDP alone is not accepted, due to the incredible amount of confusion around the issue of IDP's and IDL's. Many IDL's were being sold under the illusion they would erase a bad driving record, or could be purchased to replace a suspended or revoked DL, which of course they cannot.

A warning from the US Dept. of State: http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1179.html

International Driving Permits Issued by Unauthorized Persons:

The U.S. Department of State is aware that IDPs are sold over the Internet and in-person by individuals not authorized by the U.S. Department of State pursuant to the requirements of the U.N. Convention on Road Traffic of 1949. Moreover, many of these IDPs are sold for large sums of money, far greater than the sum charged by entities authorized by the Department of State. Consumers experiencing problems should report them to their local office of the U.S. Postal Inspector, Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the Better Business Bureau, or their state or local Attorney General’s Office.

In addition to being sold for great sums of money, they also claim to be valid for many years, which a real IDP translation isn't.

These are discussed more as nauseum here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Internationa...dp-t235338.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Interna...it-t285142.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Internationa...it-t337505.html

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Last August 2009 I returned to visit family in California.

Used my Thai driver license to rent a vehicle from Alamo at LAX, and was prepared to show it had I been stopped.

The IDP, IDL, (whatever you have) is just a mickey mouse piece of paper, that states that some issuing authority (a local auto club, a gov't entity, a pushcart on Khao San Road) perused your REAL driver license, and is issuing this additional document as a witness. That's it. It's just like the consular letter where you swear under penalty of perjury that you receive 65K B/mo. in income.

It doesn't mean anything, it's just a testimony-type document. My understanding has always been that the IDL/IDP has to be backed up by a real, current and valid license from somewhere. And available for display, when asked for.

Sure, there will always be the story of the guy who walked after waving one of these easily forged docs at some copper who didn't want to admit he couldn't read it.

Not where I come from.... :)

Quick edit: I assume the OP has a new style Thai license- mag strip, imbedded photo, English and Thai. He should be fine with that in Florida.

Old style: get an IDL/IDP. How many Florida State Troopers read Thai, and understand the year 2553?

Last August 2009 I returned to visit family in California.

Used my Thai driver license to rent a vehicle from Alamo at LAX, and was prepared to show it had I been stopped.

The IDP, IDL, (whatever you have) is just a mickey mouse piece of paper, that states that some issuing authority (a local auto club, a gov't entity, a pushcart on Khao San Road) perused your REAL driver license, and is issuing this additional document as a witness. That's it. It's just like the consular letter where you swear under penalty of perjury that you receive 65K B/mo. in income.

It doesn't mean anything, it's just a testimony-type document. My understanding has always been that the IDL/IDP has to be backed up by a real, current and valid license from somewhere. And available for display, when asked for.

Sure, there will always be the story of the guy who walked after waving one of these easily forged docs at some copper who didn't want to admit he couldn't read it.

Not where I come from.... :)

Quick edit: I assume the OP has a new style Thai license- mag strip, imbedded photo, English and Thai. He should be fine with that in Florida.

Old style: get an IDL/IDP. How many Florida State Troopers read Thai, and understand the year 2553?

Thanks for all the great replies..I do have the new type of thai driving license. My father is calling his insurance company in florida just to make sure the car and myself are covered should something happen.

US marketing, they offered on internet cars for 19 USD, bat that's onlt the car, so paid aditional 20 USD for Roadhelp and insurance. Anyway, on rental cars you are covered. On your fathers car as well. I have my car registered in a friend in Hawaii, after insurance not wan insure me with my foregin swiss drive license. So i did the insurance in my friends name as well and nothing they could do about, even tey didn't like it.

Sorry, Stingray, can you reconcile these two statements? They seem contradictory to me.

.....you are covered......(o)n your fathers car as well.
I have my car registered in a friend in Hawaii, after insurance not wan insure me with my foregin swiss drive license

The answer is probably yes to both, because if it is yes to the first it should mean it is yes to the second, but the answer to the first question depends on what state you are going to be driving in. For example in California where IDP's are not accepted, a foreign DL from a foriegn country in which you are a resident is all that's needed to drive legally. It wouldn't hurt to contact the insurance carrier for a precise answer on the second question though.

The answer is pretty easy and an International law. You’ll need an International drivers’ license issued from Bangkok and nothing can go wrong. Driving without the right license could cost you a fortune.

Sorry, Stingray, can you reconcile these two statements? They seem contradictory to me.
.....you are covered......(o)n your fathers car as well.
I have my car registered in a friend in Hawaii, after insurance not wan insure me with my foregin swiss drive license

It doesn't really matter where you're from. You need an International drivers' license. Why do we have the Internet, but many people are not using it to see the needed Information????

I assume the OP has a new style Thai license- mag strip, imbedded photo, English and Thai. He should be fine with that in Florida.

Thanks for all the great replies..I do have the new type of thai driving license.

Unfortunately I have two years left on my old style license.

If I go to the transportation office, will they issue me a new license?

It doesn't mean anything, it's just a testimony-type document.

mcgriffith, technically, there is in fact a big difference between a government or government authorized entity (automobile association) issued IDP which adheres to the UN Conventions and one you can get from a pushcart on Khao San Rd. One is legal, one is not. In reality both may work just as well as the other. Thousands of counterfeit 100USD bills are in circulation, some so good even the US Treasury can't tell they are fake, but that doesn't make them any less counterfeit. And they do mean something. In several counties they "mean" you can drive with your out of county license. In some countries you can get a fine for not having the IDP translation with the out of country license.

My understanding has always been that the IDL/IDP has to be backed up by a real, current and valid license from somewhere. And available for display, when asked for.

Correct on both counts.

Probably a number very very close to zero. I agree the OP probably has the new style license, but I would bet that their were a lot of back country transport departments issuing the old style Thai license very recently, if not still doing so. So you never know. But I agree he should be fine with that in Florida (Or California) however there are some states requiring an IDP, so you need to check each one first.

I assume the OP has a new style Thai license- mag strip, imbedded photo, English and Thai. He should be fine with that in Florida.

Thanks for all the great replies..I do have the new type of thai driving license.

Unfortunately I have two years left on my old style license.

If I go to the transportation office, will they issue me a new license?

Good question. From what I have heard they are sticklers about not issuing new licenses until the old ones expire, regardless of which kind it is, so I doubt they will re-issue it just based on the fact it's not in both languages. I am sure when the new licenses came out, there were a lot of people wanting to change from their old one. What you should probably do is go in and ask for the International Drivers Permit which translates it into English, among other languages.

You could always just go in and say you lost it.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

The answer is pretty easy and an International law. You’ll need an International drivers’ license issued from Bangkok and nothing can go wrong. Driving without the right license could cost you a fortune.

It doesn't really matter where you're from. You need an International drivers' license. Why do we have the Internet, but many people are not using it to see the needed Information????

Sisaketmike, concerning you last two posts: Did you by chance get your information by clicking the Google ads banner for the scam "International Drivers License" we see on this board? It seams you missed the entire conversation where I showed that in some states, like California, an IDP is not accepted. IE your resident country license does not need to be accompanied by an the IDP translation document. I assume you meant IDP when you said "international license" since we all should be aware at this point there is no such thing as a legitimate stand alone international license. (There are plenty of scam ones though) The only legal IDP's are issued by governments or automobile associations when authorized by the government and must be kept with a valid drivers license. I also found 2 sources stating that an IDP is not needed in Florida as well, but recommended if your license is not in English. And I found all my information "on the internet" like you suggested. (Although the California stuff I already knew because I had to learn it as part of my job)

And BTW, concerning your crack about people not using the internet to 'see the needed informational", Thaivisa.com IS a part of the internet last time I checked. Using the internet dosn't seem to have worked out to well for you anyway, as you got it all wrong.

One more correction: IDP's in Thailand are issued at your local Land Transport Department, not only in Bangkok. Some here have reported being told they can only get an IDP (translation document) of the 5 year license, which is issued after the 1 year expires. I just noticed my 1 year has expired so when I go to get my 5 year and I will ask about the IDP.

You also didn't address the second part of the "pretty easy" question about insurance, which, as you incorrectly stated, is obviously NOT governed by international law. It's a policy set by the insurance provider.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

If you are a United States citizen, and living in Thailand, I believe you are still a resident of the United States. We are all guests in Thailand, and not residents. So that said, The interpretation of the California DMV to me is that if you are say Thai and have a Thai drivers license, then yes you can drive on your foreign license, but if you are a resident of the United States living in Thailand, you would need an IDP to drive in California or for that matter anywhere in the United States if you have a Thai drivers license, and not a license from the U.S.A.

Barry

If you are a United States citizen, and living in Thailand, I believe you are still a resident of the United States. We are all guests in Thailand, and not residents. So that said, The interpretation of the California DMV to me is that if you are say Thai and have a Thai drivers license, then yes you can drive on your foreign license, but if you are a resident of the United States living in Thailand, you would need an IDP to drive in California or for that matter anywhere in the United States if you have a Thai drivers license, and not a license from the U.S.A.

Hi Barry. Sorry mate, I am certain that is incorrect, (the bold bit). There is a legal definition for "residency" and it has nothing to do with where you are a citizen. After all, we expats have to get "residency" certificates to do many things in Thailand like get a drivers license or buy a car, and we need to provide evidence to get immigration to obtain said certificate, such as rental contract, bills in your name mailed to your home, or several pictures of HM often works as well. :)

It doesn't matter if you are a citizen of USA or not when it comes to driving in the USA. For example I could be visiting my family in the states but have no US state issued license and my Thai license would be valid during my visit with no need for and IDP. I have checked several states and so far I can't find one which claims to require an IDP, but I have heard others say some states do ask for it.

I like the way Texas says it:

Nonresidents (at least 18 years of age) may drive any vehicle in Texas if they are legally licensed to drive such a vehicle in their home state or country,and their home state or country grants like recognition to citizens of Texas."

That is very Texas.

Here is how one source I cited above defines residency in Florida:

You are considered a resident of Florida if you:

* Enroll your children in public school, or

* Register to vote, or

* File for a homestead exemption, or

* Accept employment, or

* Reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months.

As another example, here is a very clear concise statement concerning IDP's and residency from the New York state DMV.

Drivers From Other Nations

A valid driver license from another country is also valid in NYS. You do not need to apply for a NYS driver license unless you become a resident of NYS.

International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is not a driver license. The permit only verifies that you hold a valid driver license in your home country. Your foreign driver license, not the International Driving Permit, allows you to drive in NYS. Contact the authorities in your home country to get an International Driving Permit. If you are not a resident of the US, you cannot apply for an International Driving Permit in the US.

You are not required to have an International Driving Permit to drive in NYS, but the permit has value. The permit verifies, in several languages, that you have a valid foreign driver license. A police officer who cannot read the language on your foreign driver license can read the permit.

Note for US residents: The DMV does not issue International Driving Permits. Contact an automobile club that is a member of the American Automobile Association (AAA).

Definition of a Resident.

If you become a resident of NYS, you must exchange your driver license and vehicle registration from another state for a NYS driver license and vehicle registration within 30 days. If you have a driver license from another state, you must get a driver license from NYS within 30 days after you become a resident of NYS. If you have a vehicle registration from another state, you must get a vehicle registration from NYS within 30 days after you become a resident of NYS.

Section 250 (5) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law defines the term "resident." The law defines a resident as a person who lives in NYS with the intent to make NYS a "fixed and permanent" place to live. To live in a house, a home, an apartment, a room or other similar place in NYS for 90 days is considered "presumptive evidence" that you are a resident of NYS. A police officer can use this evidence as the reason to issue a traffic ticket if you drive in NYS without a driver license or vehicle registration issued by NYS.

A judge considers the law and the evidence of your intent and decides if you are a resident of NYS. For example, if you pay taxes or your children attend school in another state, a judge considers these facts to decide if your intent is to make NYS a "fixed and permanent" residence. The DMV will not decide if you are a resident of NYS, if you must get a NYS driver license, or if you must register your vehicle in NYS.

According to this law, students from other states or from other nations who attend school in NYS are normally not considered residents of NYS.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

• 1 year later...