Internet Over Mobile Phone

sezzo

Gday all,

I have just built a house on the wifes farm. Being the only residence on the farm obviously there is no existing phone line and going by what I have heard and read there is a long wait to get one connected. I have therefore decided to investigate the connection to the internet via the mobile phone. I have read a few threads on TV about it but still not 100 percent sure on what I need.

Can anyone help me out here and explain what I need and how much it will cost. As I live about 100ks north of Ubon Ratchathani I doubt there would be any mobile phone shop with assistants competant enough in english to help me out. My thai is the very very basic few words and my wife knows nothing at all about the subject of mobile phones or internet.

Do I need to go to Bangkok to purchase this equipment, if so can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Gday all,

I have just built a house on the wifes farm.  Being the only residence on the farm obviously there is no existing phone line and going by what I have heard and read there is a long wait to get one connected.  I have therefore decided to investigate the connection to the internet via the mobile phone.  I have read a few threads on TV about it but still not 100 percent sure on what I need.

Can anyone help me out here and explain what I need and how much it will cost.  As I live about 100ks north of Ubon Ratchathani I doubt there would be any mobile phone shop with assistants competant enough in english to help me out.  My thai is the very very basic few words and my wife knows nothing at all about the subject of mobile phones or internet.

Do I need to go to Bangkok to purchase this equipment, if so can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Sezzo.............................pop into your favourite pub and I'll put you on the right track. If not do a search on GPRS ADAC......................cheers

Hi Sezzo.............................pop into your favourite pub and I'll put you on the right track. If not do a search on GPRS ADAC......................cheers

Thanks for that Martin.

I drove past the turn off to Surin on my way to Bangkok over the last couple of days and all I could think about was the beer in your establishment.

Just to quickly help,

the easiest way is to get a Blluetooth phone that does GPRS. The rest doesn't matter too much. I use a Nokia 6600, and its fine when I need to In Cab Choeng.

Then you need to buy a Bluetooth Dongle for your Computer, if it doesn't have bluetooth.

Then its reasonably simple you load the Disk from the phone onto your computer, and it acts like a modem.

You will need a special initialzation string for the modem.

You will also need to call the Phone company to step you through it.

BTW, I think the 999baht a month from DTAC is better.

Good luck, its so amazing when you get GPRS working in the middle of nowhere.

Hi if its any help i have done this after being let down by TT@T on a phone line It works a treat you take out the sim card from the unit(you plug into the back of the PC (like ones used on lap tops) and top up you sim in the usual way by putting it in your mobile phone. Then put it back in the pc and off you go. The box for the PC cost me about 100 quid and the calls work out about 1 baht per minute. Connection speedis 56kbs and it works really well. I used Liberty computers in pattaya who were fantastic hope that helps! :o

Edited by daveb1

The bluetooth/GPRS route seems to be the best/easiest/least expensive way to go for remote use. I am using AIS rather than DTAC, simply because DTAC doesn't seem to work well in the village area where I normally connect. If you are using DTAC on a mobile now for voice calling and it is working well, then that would be the way to go. If you are using AIS and it is working well....then investigate further or go with AIS. :o

either GPRS/EDGE from AIS or DTAC

or WCDMA from hutch

to use either with your laptop/desktop you will need a GPRS phone or pcmia card ( pci adapter for card if using with a desktop )

if you go the phone route you will either connect to it via cable or Bluetooth from your computer.

GPRS coverage seems to be universal with EDGE confined to a couple of cities - I am unsure about the Hutch wcdma network

search the forums for GPRS and if crushdepth has solved his XOOP problems have a search of his site crushdepth.net

either  GPRS/EDGE from AIS or DTAC

or  WCDMA from hutch

to use either with your laptop/desktop you will need a GPRS phone or pcmia card ( pci adapter for card if using with a desktop )

if you go the phone route you will either connect to it via cable or Bluetooth from your computer.

GPRS coverage seems to be universal with EDGE confined to a couple of cities - I am unsure about the Hutch wcdma network

search the forums for GPRS and if crushdepth has solved his XOOP problems have a search of his site crushdepth.net

The OP lives a long way out of the city and the Hutch CDMA network does not get that far. However CAT is going to introduce a new CDMA network but it is being phased in over 3 years and I suspect it will be mainly in cities, large towns and on the main roads.

It will not be cost effective to run it out to the villages or further as most people out there (I live out there too) have no use for CDMA.

The other problem with a CDMA mobile is that it can only be used on a CDMA network rather than a GSM mobile which you can use on DTAC, AIS, Orange etc.

Thanks guys

I will probably look at the GPRS phone and monthly internet access with AIS as this works the best in my area. Going by some of the comments this system might work out better, faster and more reliable that what I have presently with TOTonline. My current connection rate is about 28 kbps.

Once again thanks for the advice and when I need some more I will ask you all again.