Eshaust Warap - Where Can I Find It?

Thanh-BKK

Hello.

I am looking for some stuff called "exhaust wrap". I need it not for hi-performance tuning but simply to prevent the header on my RXZ to start rusting again, those things on Yamaha two-stroke pipes start rusting as soon as there are clouds in the sky, regardless how well they are painted/coated.

This stuff is available aplenty on E-Bay however almost always located in the U.S. and either "sorry, don't ship oberseas" or shipping cost so astronomic that it is cheaper to buy a new pipe every few months.

Hence i am looking to find this stuff in Thailand, preferably in Bangkok.

Anyone seen it?

Kind regards.....

Thanh

post-13387-1268188843_thumb.jpg

Thanh,

Don't know for sure but you need to try auto shops where they tweek turbo cars.

I've seen it done.

P2270365.jpg

But as the wrap is probably not waterproof I fail to see how it will stop corrosion.

those things on Yamaha two-stroke pipes start rusting as soon as there are clouds in the sky

Not to mention the mixture changing when the sun goes behind a cloud. :)

Edited by VocalNeal

Hi :)

Yeah that's the stuff i'm looking for, although i would like it in black. It probably won't stop the pipe from rusting however it makes the rust invisible :D I don't mind it rusting, after all the material is thick enough to rust for 20 years without falling apart or developing holes but it just looks shitty when the rest of the bike is in somewhat acceptable condition.

Auto shops? I have been to some but never seen that stuff anywhere...... but then i've never been to a turbo shop, for lack of a turbo car :D My truck now has a turbo but it's still quite new and doesn't need any tweaking as of yet.

I don't really have a problem with changing mixture however it is sensible to temperature - it runs a lot better at 30 degrees then at 40. But that is not a problem, for me at least. The bike has 95,500 kilometers on the clock (the last 54,000 done by myself) and at 100,000 i'll overhaul the engine completely anyway (adding 300-400 kilometers per week currently, that is Bangkok traffic only).

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Here's the bad news- I wanted some for a Honda Shadow I had. The only places I found that had it were in Chinatown- but they only had the thin white wrapping. I had to have a friend bring a couple of rolls of black with him from the US.

Visit Lee Ngiab Seng at 6-8 Thanon Charoenkrung, 02 233 6105. If you go in their shop they have a wall with sample materials on it. You will see a large variety of asbestos and non-asbestos exhaust wrapping material available by the meter.

I got some for a builder friend from ebay.. Cheap and fast shipped.

He had real trouble getting it too look good (unlike the trumpet above) really rock tight and uniform.. And that was on single pipe headers.. I have had annoying issues with high temp paint 'greying' on my blade but theres no way in hel_l I could cleanly wrap the 4 header pipes, so I have pulled the headers and painted a couple of times.

OT, is there any solution to paint 'greying' ?? Better quality paints ?? I dont want to powdercoat on old headers but the paint doesnt remain black long.

Hi :)

Thank you all for the replies. I will try that shop at Thanon Charoenkrung as soon as the red idiots are off the streets (looks like i'll be locked in during the weekend and possibly beyond - i live right at one of their "meeting points" which will be blocked off completely as it seems) and see if they have the stuff that i want. I don't need much, just for one rather short header on a Yamaha RXZ, i guess a two-meter piece would be sufficient.

And i should stop typing so fast... i just realized what a rubbish i put as a thread title - "Eshaust Warap", obviously that was meant to read "Exhaust Wrap" :D I guess it's not possible to edit a thread's title......

Kind regards.....

Thanh

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

For me impossible - on the RXZ (in typical two-stroke manner) the whole exhaust pipe is in one piece, i can separate the header only by sawing it off and weld it back on later. That, plus it is already rusty and headers are obviously not available as separate spare part.

For me, wrapping it will do the job just fine :)

Kind regards.....

Thanh

just want to share the things i've done with my nsr exhaust.

did some maintenance job back in december and january, rust at the exhaust header...probably because of the heat and dirt from the road.

looked in e-bay for exhaust header....calculating total with shipping around 700 baht, not worth the effort.

researched the material melting point and found suprising fact......stainless steel 1200C, ceramic over 2000C, copper around 1000C ( i forgot the exact figure) and aluminium 660C.

did some research on the header temp on idle and running, wont be over 400C.

so, i took the risk using aluminium tape to wrap my exhaust header....put 3-4 layer on it.

it's been 2 months and 2000 kms on it, still look good. Been through the rain, mud, etc, the aluminium still hold.

sapi.

did some maintenance job back in december and january, rust at the exhaust header...probably because of the heat and dirt from the road.

looked in e-bay for exhaust header....calculating total with shipping around 700 baht, not worth the effort.

researched the material melting point and found suprising fact......stainless steel 1200C, ceramic over 2000C, copper around 1000C ( i forgot the exact figure) and aluminium 660C.

so, i took the risk using aluminium tape to wrap my exhaust header....put 3-4 layer on it.

it's been 2 months and 2000 kms on it, still look good. Been through the rain, mud, etc, the aluminium still hold.

sapi.

Sapi,

Next time you may wish to consider a stainless pipe from Tyga in Pattaya. Performance increase as well as corrosion resistant.

sapi.

Sapi,

Next time you may wish to consider a stainless pipe from Tyga in Pattaya. Performance increase as well as corrosion resistant.

tyga dont deliver inside thailand....

@bangron: last time i also searched for it, no where to be found... good luck.