Thailand Fever

Jai Dee

I've noticed some references in a couple of recent threads to this book, with some users recommending it and others agreeing... to my knowledge nobody has disagreed yet... :D

Even new members (recently raised from the dead or re-born? :o ) are saying that not only farangs, but their TGF's should also read it. :D

It's not just another "Private Dancer" is it? :D

Who has read it and what's it all about?

this is far from another private dancer, this book explains how to make a relationship work by understanding each other. Its not a horror story about a farang getting screwed (in a bad way) by a BG. I would recommend this book to anyone who is in or plans to be in a thai/farang relationship.

I've read the book once, and the wife has read it at least 3 times to try and figure me out :o~

The book is written in both English and Thai (in the same book)

It is written by an American Man and a Thai Woman. They both talk to each different sex in the book.

ie ... This part is for the Male, and this part is for the Female ...

It explains a lot about how we are thinking (gernalization) about each other in different situations.

Edited by peder.klockmann

I found "Thailand Fever" helpful in not only understanding Farang-Thai relationships but to some extent the culture in general. For understanding the cross-cultural dynamic overall all I'd also recommend "Wondering into Thai Culture" but Mont Redmond. If anyone has other good reads in this area I'd appreciate the recommendations.

The title could lead one to think it's exploitation. They could have done a lot better on that. But that aside I can't imagine any Western-Thai relationship that wouldn't benefit from reading this book. It takes very core and basic values of our respective cultures; say Independence for Western and Interdependence for Thai and helps you understand the other person's experience and viewpoint and how this can play out in the relationship. The fact that it's in Thai and English makes it very useful. My gf loved it. "Now I understand you, I understand about you and money now". Likewise.

It takes very core and basic values of our respective cultures; say Independence for Western and Interdependence for Thai and helps you understand the other person's experience and viewpoint and how this can play out in the relationship.  The fact that it's in Thai and English makes it very useful. 

That's right, of the few books I have read on the subject, it is by far the one that best explain the reasons behind our respective behaviour and thinking and should be read by both Thai and farang.

I would say even if you're not enagaged in any relationship, it will still help you understand better the Thai.

And I would also have chosen an other title than 'Thailand Fever'... :o

Edited by The Phoenix

I have read the thread and the comments on the book and I will probably buy when I come back next month but I have two simple questions to ask.

Who wrote the ###### thing and what is the ISBN number?

That is clever.

I wrote one word and it came out as ##### and I spelt it correctly too.

Edited by billd766

I have read the thread and the comments on the book and I will probably buy when I come back next month but I have two simple questions to ask.

That is clever.

thailand-fever-new-01.jpg

http://www.dco.co.th/product_info.php?cPat...products_id=521

Is it Ok to post such link? :o

That is clever.

Is it Ok to post such link? :o

Thanks Phoenix

That is clever.

Is it Ok to post such link? :D

Thanks Phoenix

ditto :D

Thank you very bigly. :o

just curious, but why would the book be good for 'westerner' vs. thai;

some of us are english/australian/american/swedish/israeli etc and i can tell u, there are huge differences between these groups as far as : sex, money, independance, friendship, etc.... just among israelis there is morrocan/yemen etc vs. polish/german/russian/ vs. american/anglosaxon.... so maybe someone could give examples before i run out and charge my dwindling bank account for this book:

or is it mostly just to help thai spouse get a glimpse of us (assuming that most thai spouses have not studied cross cultural studies/anthropology/sociology??)

or is this a sort of :" men are from mars and women from venus " in a thai/engl version??

that is: thai women and farang men

Edited by bina

just curious, but why would the book be good for 'westerner' vs. thai;

some of us are english/australian/american/swedish/israeli etc and i can tell u, there are huge differences between these groups as far as : sex, money, independance, friendship, etc.... just among israelis there is morrocan/yemen etc vs. polish/german/russian/ vs. american/anglosaxon.... so maybe someone could give examples before i run out and charge my dwindling bank account for this book: 

or is it mostly just to help thai spouse get a glimpse of us (assuming that most thai spouses have not studied cross cultural studies/anthropology/sociology??)

or is this a sort of :" men are from mars and women from venus " in a thai/engl version?? 

that is: thai women and farang men

Any generalization is bound to be weak at the individual level and this isn’t any exception. I think the male author is American as I am so maybe it rang more true to me. I’d suppose the closer you are in a cultural sense to the American/Brit/Aussie quadrant I’d imagine it would ring more true. I can’t say I’m an expert on Nordic or Slavic or other “Farang” cultures to say how applicable it would be in those cases. But surely there is a strong Western European cultural and value base that lots of us come from that must apply to some extent.

That said if you cut the book some slack and assuming you have a sense of your culture it seems like it still provides a framework to think about and discuss differences. Let’s say your Farang culture doesn’t have the same values on independence as this book, maybe taking care of your parents is highly valued and expected. It would seem easy enough to say “this part doesn’t really match my culture this is what we are like…”. If the book got this discussion going it would be worth the cover price there.

This book is optimized for Male Farang / Woman Thai but again it seems to me if the sexes were reversed it would still have value.

Yeah I guess it’s a little like “mars” or some other pop-psychology but again I think the value is to get you both to step outside of you mental framework and stand in the other person’s shoes a little. It would seem naïve to me to hope that just reading the book (or any one book) will take care of everything rather than serving as a starting place to discuss and develop awareness over the deep cultural differences that could cause problems through misunderstanding.

I’ve read a lot of books about business and managing. I couldn’t point a new hire to one book and say “if you read this you’ll be a great manager” but I could give them a list of 10 or so that would get some good ideas and concepts going and hopefully from there they’d start to find their own unique way through experience. I don’t think this is any different.

If I can get a copy of this OR Private Dancer in the U.K. then i'd be interested to know.

Amazon UK has it listed, they say 4-6 weeks

The link before at http://www.dcothai.com/product_info.php?products_id=521

will ship outside Thailand. I order Thai music CDs from Thailand and they show up within a couple weeks.

If you have the ISBN number I bet any number of qualtity bookstores would order it for you.

Good luck