Free Pc To Mobile Text Messaging In Thailand

nevermore93

I've done some looking, but have yet to find a solution that actually works. All I want is to be able to send a few simple text messages to other friends around Thailand. I hate trying to type a message on a phone keypad, and AIS charges me the same rate for 2 words or 20. Call me a cheapskate, but I get annoyed when I get hit on my minutes for sending "work 8:15" to my biz partners. There are plenty of places on the web that advertise "free services" of this type, but I have yet to find one that can actually deliver a message to a mobile in Thailand. Skype used to be a decent deal, but I've not had much luck with their services on texting mobiles inside Thailand either. I hate paying for it when it doesn't even work half the time. Please post your experiences, and especially any that were successful. Thanks.

IME Skype has always been good for this purpose, provided you have credit paid in of course.

Ive often used it for text message from computer to mobile in Thaiand and its never failed.

I think its about 0.15 euros per message and you can easily choose how many euros to deposit via credit card.

Download and install Yahoo Messenger to send SMS to any Thai mobile phone for Free.

Is this true? Anyone else tried it?

SMS — Send text messages to mobile phones

Instantly reach your friends, wherever they are.

The SMS feature lets you send text messages to your friends' mobile phones right from Yahoo! Messenger. Just type in a friend's mobile phone number, compose your message like you would a regular instant message, then hit Send. Your friend will receive your text message on their phone, and their replies come back to you in Yahoo! Messenger.

It's free to send SMS messages from Yahoo! Messenger to your friends (and to receive their replies). However, your friends may incur data charges from their mobile carrier for receiving and replying to your messages.

Yahoo! Messenger supports SMS messaging for the following countries and carriers:

* United States: AT&T, Alltel, Nextel (including Sprint), Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile

* Canada: Rogers, Fido, Telus

* India: Vodaphone Essar, Airtel, Aircel, Spice, Escotel, Reliance, BPL, BSNL, IDEA, MTNL

* Indonesia: XL, Indosat, Hutch 3, Telkomsel

* Malaysia: Celcom, DiGi, Maxis

* Philippines: Globe, Smart

* Thailand: AIS, DTAC

* Vietnam: Mobifone, Viettel, Vinaphone, S-Fone, HT, EVN

* Kuwait: Wataniya

* Pakistan: Mobilink

For further info visit http://messenger.yahoo.com/features/sms/

Download and install Yahoo Messenger to send SMS to any Thai mobile phone for Free.

I have tried using Yahoo Messenger for SMS in Thailand, but have not had any success. I even downloaded the most recent version, but still no luck. I keep getting the same error message below.

"Yahoo! Messenger cannot send SMS messages to this mobile number: +6608********. Find out why"

I've clicked the "find out why", but it doesn't give me anything useful. I'm frustrated at best with the whole thing. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I have tried using Yahoo Messenger for SMS in Thailand, but have not had any success. I even downloaded the most recent version, but still no luck. I keep getting the same error message below.

"Yahoo! Messenger cannot send SMS messages to this mobile number: +6608********. Find out why"

I've clicked the "find out why", but it doesn't give me anything useful. I'm frustrated at best with the whole thing. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

+6608******** looks incorrect to me, it should be +668*******

This service lets you send SMS to most countries in the world via PC for about €0.02 per message via a web console:

Localphone.com

It's actually part of a fairly decent VOIP service. Calling most countries costs €0.006 p.m. They also offer free local Direct Dial numbers in most countries - they give you a local number to call which goes straight through to your destination long distance number. You can get very cheap local incoming numbers for most countries which can be forwarded cheaply to your THai mobile or ported to your VOIP number. Sadly no direct dial numbers in Thailand yet :)

I use it with Fring on Android as a VOIP service. 10 min call from Europe to Thailand mobile for €0.06. Difficult to beat IMO.

Thanks for the tip!!!! Worked like a charm!!! Sends SMS messages from my PC in under 5 seconds!!! Amazing!!!

:)

YOU ROCK!!!! Thanks again!!!

Darn zeros anyway! :D

Thanks for the tip!!!! Worked like a charm!!! Sends SMS messages from my PC in under 5 seconds!!! Amazing!!!

:)

YOU ROCK!!!! Thanks again!!!

Darn zeros anyway! :D

Manage your sending as it has a limitation of (I think) 5 sms per day or it will replenish everytime someone replied to your message.

• 5 weeks later...

@crev wrote "Yahoo messenger limit of 5 sms per day"

I'm glad you mentioned this as I have been trying YM out and hit the 5 limit. Actually when sending sms, there are other sms's sent to the recipient too. The first extra sms states a YM user is sending you a message and to reply, send a message back and there are charges. When all 5 sms have been sent, another extra sms is sent to the recipient stating that to continue using YM sms you must reply to a yahoo sms and there are charges.

In my case the actual sms I sent to the recipient used the (reply centre) no 1924668001 and the extra sms's sent by yahoo, as described above, were from 1924668001

I have looked around on the yahoo site and elsewhere to see if I could find out the cost of replying (sending) and sms to the no 1924668001 and drew a blank. My guess is that yahoo have use of a series of numbers (shortcodes) in Thailand and can associate one of these with the number a YM user sent the sms to, so as to know where to route the reply to (or something like that anyway). I'm just wondering if these are very expensive and if there is some sort of hidden opt-in to receive more billed sms's as a result of replying to the yahoo reply centre.

The sms's sent by yahoo really push replying, because of course, that is why they are offering the service. You could of course ask for the reply to your thai mobile phone. Also the extra sms's sent were in english which, for some thai people, will not be read. I just wonder if anyone has managed to send Thai language sms via yahoo messenger ?

Cheers

Seems that the 5 sms limit isnt lifted after 1 day. I sent 5 sms to my thai mobile on 13/4 and have just tried sending a further sms. I'm still getting the message :

"Phone number +668xxxxxxxx cannot receive SMS messages at this time."

And my Thai mobile didnt receive an sms stating I have to send an sms to receive and sms from YM user.

So I wonder *if* the limit is reset and when that may be ?

If you have a DTAC sim (Pre-pay or post-pay) you can register for online access to you account and can send 50 sms to other dtac nos per month free. You can also send to other networks in Thailand for 2bt/sms. This is good as you type on the keyboard and can send Thai character sms's. Plus it is sent as if it has come from your phone, so you get the reply back there too.

The other method I have of sending sms, is as mentioned earlier, using a Finarea/Betamax guise. I use VoIPDiscount as I have credit there. But most of the guises allow sms to be sent as if it came from whatever phone you have set-up with them for a cost of 3 euro cent / sms. I havent tried sending Thai character sms with this, but I have a feeling it wont work. If someone knows otherwise, please let us know.

For comparison of Betamax/Finarea (actually they have some other name now I dont recall) guises prices see :

http://www.backsla.sh/betamax

There are a few doing Thailand for free on there, after you have topped up. Unfortuneately this does not compare the cost of sms, but from what I have seen they all seem to be the same price. But best to keep checking as when VoIPDiscount introduced sending sms it was free for a few months !

Hope this helps !