Retirement Mutual Funds In Thailand

Anyone have any experience with RMFs? As I understand it, they are tax free but you have to take your documentation and claim the tax refund each year. The fund rep I spoke to told me that a foreigner should be treated the same as a Thai for tax purposes but that I should check with a tax counsellor to be sure.

That didn't fill me with much confidence, and two years ago I had to claim a small refund on my tax and was hauled in for a special interview, which caused me to drop the idea of RMFs.

Anyone actually claimed for these in Thailand? Since I would save 30% tax on the money saved, and I want to save some money, they sound like a pretty good deal even if the interest is small.

I'm with you on these - from a tax perspective they look good, smell good, and tast good. But are they going to give you a stomach ache in the future?

My issue outstanding is this:

"If I'm still working in the year the policy matures, does the fund money paid to me constitute income for tax purposes?"

And so far, the answer appears to be "yes, it does".

Which kind of negates my reason for having it - although one doesn't know what one would be earning in the future. At the same time, one doesn't know what income tax rates will be in the year the fund matures :D

SM :o

Edited by Sumitr Man