Video: Organizers Hand Out Cash To Red-shirt People

george

A Thai friend of mine that is from Isaan said that his uncle and others were being offered 10,000 baht a day if they drove their pick-up down to Bangkok with people in it. Not a bad income for three or four days.

Next, another Thai friend (at work) was telling me that the "nonpolitical Thais" are afraid that the real fanatics will have a few selected Reds dress in army uniforms and shoot the demonstrators just to get the protesters raging mad. Last spring, the Thai army did not fire at anyone...very peaceful. This "peaceful" approach irritated the Red leaders since they looked like the "bad" guys. I told him that now days, people would be able to use their cellphone cameras and record such an event but I doubt it would ever happen.

Next, I wish the politicians in the USA running for Congress or President would follow the Red's approach and just give voters the cash to vote for them.. Now days, the politicians (a Republican or Democrat) are all the same--- self-centered and not into representing their people. The multi- millions of dollars they spend just as well go to the people to buy votes. This would help the economy and citizens without jobs.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's to stop someone from signing up, taking the Bt.2,000, then splitting?

A kicking?

Honor, honesty. Contrary to a lot of foreigners beliefs about Thai People, there are a lot of honorable poor people, who feel it their duty, to vote for the guy who paid them. (a lot of people consider honesty as being naive, but without it, what kind of society do we have)

Exactly my doubt here and I wonder why would the crowd let the video man live to post the vid. It sorta make me wonders if this is real, the reds are indeed really not smart, and if this is not real, then it is counter intelligence at work.

I was thinking about this, too, and from the camera angle I figured the man holding the camera was on the second floor of a building above the scene being filmed, zooming in, unobserved by the people below. Aside from that, if other potential drivers and demonstrators see the video this is to the advantage of the organisers. I believe they like to recruit as many people as they can get. Apparently 100,000 are expected to line up for transport to Bangkok: http://goo.gl/OAKP

Big deal! A lot of those people need to cover their expenses at home even if they get a free ride to Bangkok and a few free meals while they are there.

I agree with you.

I understand that there are some folks screaming about it but there is absolutely nothing illegal about the practice.

Nothing illegal about paying people to topple a government?

Nothing illegal to claim to have the weight of numbers behind you in order to justify your position, when it turns out you just bought them all?

No wonder you're a Thaksin supporter.

Most strikes and protests in the west are money motivated anyway. Okay you don't get a handful of cash to attend but protests are usually due to poor wages, lay offs, high taxes or the introduction of new taxes so the incentive to attend is still financial.

Not most!

Anti war, anti shark fishing, anti whale fishing, anti green house effect, anti G8 G20, Anti nuclear power, Anti Japanese premier in front of Japanese embassy, Anti US force presence in Okinawa, Anti this and that, and anti all you can name it. Many protests are not financially concerned. Strike, however, I agree. Seeing this handling of cash to protesters really blew my mind.

You made your point! What I should have said was "some of the largest protests" as I know there's many just causes we protest for but if you want a big turnout you need to be flying under the flag of taxes and employment as you won't see your average working man/woman on a G20 or animal rights demo which tend to be quite small albeit with a BIG voice. The Mayday annual turnout worldwide is a prime example especially in countries like France.

Exactly my doubt here and I wonder why would the crowd let the video man live to post the vid. It sorta make me wonders if this is real, the reds are indeed really not smart, and if this is not real, then it is counter intelligence at work.

I was thinking about this, too, and from the camera angle I figured the man holding the camera was on the second floor of a building above the scene being filmed, zooming in, unobserved by the people below. Aside from that, if other potential drivers and demonstrators see the video this is to the advantage of the organisers. I believe they like to recruit as many people as they can get. Apparently 100,000 are expected to line up for transport to Bangkok: http://goo.gl/OAKP

and to answer your question...no, they are not that smart. ;-) lmao

NOPE, never said it was MY idea of democracy, All I was saying is that a proper election should be held. Let the people decide, I do not believe in BUYING votes, votes should be done on the individuals choice, and not who hands out the biggest wad of money!

All I want is proper election and peace to reign, instead of unrest and threat of bloodshed!

Perfect agreement! The same way I think about demonstrations, what about you? Should money be handed over to go to protest? Or proper demonstrations are those in which people protest for free without being paid? We need consistency. Would you agree?

Most demonstrations throughout the world have to have some level of organisation! Take UK for instance, The Unions organise demonstrations, certain officials are paid to attend, the further down the chain you get you come to a level, (just above the minions) that are paid expenses for showing up, and some minions are paid expenses to cover travelling costs, accommodation, etc etc. It is maybe here in the video that we have seen an allocation of certain expenses being doled out. As you may note there is no long queue, most of the one getting the handout seemed well presented with good T-shirts on and a few even had I.D. Badges strung around their necks. Official drivers? I do not know, but would hazard a guess as such. Now the rest of the demonstrators I feel would be your everyday people who believe in this party and its causes. :)

Most strikes and protests in the west are money motivated anyway. Okay you don't get a handful of cash to attend but protests are usually due to poor wages, lay offs, high taxes or the introduction of new taxes so the incentive to attend is still financial.

Not most!

Anti war, anti shark fishing, anti whale fishing, anti green house effect, anti G8 G20, Anti nuclear power, Anti Japanese premier in front of Japanese embassy, Anti US force presence in Okinawa, Anti this and that, and anti all you can name it. Many protests are not financially concerned. Strike, however, I agree. Seeing this handling of cash to protesters really blew my mind.

You made your point! What I should have said was "some of the largest protests" as I know there's many just causes we protest for but if you want a big turnout you need to be flying under the flag of taxes and employment as you won't see your average working man/woman on a G20 or animal rights demo which tend to be quite small albeit with a BIG voice. The Mayday annual turnout worldwide is a prime example especially in countries like France.

Arguing with yourself Jirapa? Who won?

Most demonstrations throughout the world have to have some level of organisation! Take UK for instance, The Unions organise demonstrations, certain officials are paid to attend, the further down the chain you get you come to a level, (just above the minions) that are paid expenses for showing up, and some minions are paid expenses to cover travelling costs, accommodation, etc etc. It is maybe here in the video that we have seen an allocation of certain expenses being doled out. As you may note there is no long queue, most of the one getting the handout seemed well presented with good T-shirts on and a few even had I.D. Badges strung around their necks. Official drivers? I do not know, but would hazard a guess as such. Now the rest of the demonstrators I feel would be your everyday people who believe in this party and its causes. :)

But where does the strike fund money come from? From union fees collected from the workers. If it ever came out that a political party was directly giving money to support a crippling strike there would be hel_l to pay.

Not most!

:)

I understand Noppadon has been on the defensive about the video this evening, claiming that (yes, it's) fake red shirts. If so, however people try and justify it on this forum it's still clearly an embarrassment to them.

For Thaksin, it's all cold and calculated...

Pay 1,000,000 people 2000 Baht each, cost two billion dollars. Use them to throw over the government and get you 46 Billion back...net profit 44 Billion Dollars US, in less than a week. Where can you make that kind of money in one week, with the bonus of having your criminal record wiped out, all lawsuits dropped and being prime minister again (or should I say Prime Dictator, as in Thaksin's case). True, it may cost him few more millions, to pay off the organizers, but the profits are still huge.

That's if you don't count all the dead and maimed, who will be left in the streets, by the time all this is over :-( Anyways, if Thaksin wins, you can kiss democracy in this country goodbye.

Most strikes and protests in the west are money motivated anyway.

The protest point as mentioned previously, it's far from the case where "most" protesters are paid.

The strike point involving workers I can believe. These are "workers" for Thaksin and their work has nothing to do with moral causes such as democracy. They are simply "employees" doing their job, which is to attend a rally.

He basically calls people to get money for petrol, and the woman checks against what I assume is a file of photocopied IDs that have agreed to drive people to Bangkok.

Thanks. Yes, that would explain why the woman flips through photocopies of IDs. 2.000 Baht just to ride along would seem unreasonably high. A few posts higher up I read that Thaksin made 350 million available for the "final showdown", as I recall this event being called by a red-shirt spokesman in a Nation article. I cant't even begin to imagine the logistics involved in all this.

I understand Noppadon has been on the defensive about the video this evening, claiming that (yes, it's) fake red shirts. If so, however people try and justify it on this forum it's still clearly an embarrassment to them.

Wasn't that the same guy that said that all the violence committed at last year's rally was also done by "fake" red shirts?

The US political system, where stuffed shirts pay $10,000 a plate to politicians in the hope of currying favour and gaining influence, is so much more pure a form of democracy don't y'alll think

Or he can bring it in through Cambodia or Laos. I've been across the river to both countries before without even stamping a visa or showing my passport. Just hand 20 Baht to the guard boats on the river.

Just what river did you cross to enter Cambodia? It may be a small point, but I'm calling you a liar.

I'm curious, too. Where is this Cambodia/Thailand border on a river?

Kids stuff, a few hundred baht here or there. They'll never succeed that way. Congress is in the pockets of big business in the US and nobody (or so it seems) bats an eyelid.

If I were religious I'd quote that bit about the plank in your own eye.

There must be some money trail. This kind of money cannot just drop from a tree. If this is indeed a peaceful protest that is great and credit to red shirts. If however there will be some dead left behind, destruction and damaged image of the country, billions lost in tourist revenue etc. there must surely be some way of criminally prosecuting sponsors of violent protests. Maybe someone is digging his own grave.

This big crowd could easily burn this place to the ground!

He basically calls people to get money for petrol, and the woman checks against what I assume is a file of photocopied IDs that have agreed to drive people to Bangkok.

oh finally!

are we (you and me) superior minds or just the few that are avoiding to strumentalize that video?

take a look, is not an endless crowded queue recruited without any check....

ONLY people that previously agreed to carry others to bangkok....

p.s. to an anti-democrat yellow hi-so from bangkok 2000baht are small money... for esaanian folks could mean 20% of their salary: help them to join the rally is IMHO a democrat act....

withdraw them the right to vote (as suggested by PAD) is NOT.

A short video showing some people with a list handing out some cash to people on the list. Wow...that is pretty clandestine stuff....and allowing someone to record the whole

thing a close range.... absolute proof that reds only protest for cash.... :) Now if this was the other side....they would never do anything this stupid....the money would be wire transferred to an offshore bank account... dam_n it if you are going to do corruption....do it right for gawds sake......

People so stupid that they would allow buying protestors to be videoed are too arrogant and stupid to run a Government. And, these people's votes count the same as an educated person with a Ph.D. Thaksin is not only a crook but a coward. Come to Thailand to lead your mob like a general instead of hiding behind the skirts of the Khmer Rouge PM of Cambodia.

Not most!

I dam_n near wet my pants laughing at that one!! :)

But where does the strike fund money come from? From union fees collected from the workers. If it ever came out that a political party was directly giving money to support a crippling strike there would be hel_l to pay.

Well at moment most unions seem to donate their money to the Labour party! Why? beats me, they are all a bunch of crooks. But I am sure that there is a certain amount of, well how would you say, "quiet" words whispered in ears to further causes of one party over another! This works for all partys I will say :D

But this is Thailand and as we are dealing with a different set of rules., thought in mobilizing demonstrations much the same idea. It just that the funding comes from different sources!

The people in the videos are being paid for fuel costs.

Yeh, that must be it. In the past, I was told it was THB 500 per day to the middleman (who pays each demonstrator THB 300). Since I assume it will be about the same, I couldn't make the numbers work. Fuel costs only makes a lot more sense.

Thanks. Yes, that would explain why the woman flips through photocopies of IDs. 2.000 Baht just to ride along would seem unreasonably high. A few posts higher up I read that Thaksin made 350 million available for the "final showdown", as I recall this event being called by a red-shirt spokesman in a Nation article. I cant't even begin to imagine the logistics involved in all this.

you're all so stingy. pay them reasonable salaries and they would just laugh at the organizers.

Thaksin will shout over the fence, help me, but everyone is in Bangkok then. Or could it be that he sneaks in and travels in a Papa mobile to Bangkok?

So much imbalance. At the end it will work out for good though.

There was a saying in the USA many years ago, during the "Cold War;" better dead, than red. It referred to Communism, they seemed to like the color. I wonder why the pro Thaksin people would choose the color red. I know why PAD choose yellow, and it's not because they are cowards. Just curious, why red shirts?

There are some reds who will pay to go to a rally or will donate money (especially when the Pu Yai pressures them!). There are some reds who will go to a rally if someone pays their expenses. And there are some reds who will be red only if someone pays them to be red. :D

I don't know which of the above groups is the biggest and which is the smallest. Quite frankly, I doubt if anyone really knows, even the red leaders. However, it does seem that after the fairly low turnouts at the recent BKK protests, the red leaders are trying to maximize the turnout this time.

You're right. A now retired auntie in our (rather large thanks to eight sisters being grandmothers :) ) extended family has donated money to the reds and has tried to encourage other members of the family to join her in the rally this weekend and indeed in previous rallies. She avidly watches the UDD TV or whatever it's called. She lives in the outskirts of Bangkok and the rest of the family is spread over the centre of Thailand with some in the north. Most of them graduated from university, for what it is worth, quite rare when you go back a few years.

The family used to be pro-MrT until the first splits started to show not long after the war on drugs. The split widened and changed until the majority increasingly became sick of MrT and his cohorts.

The remaining fans of MrT in the family have never accepted and never will accept that he bought votes, despite other family members being bribed at poll stations.

Maybe MrT won't realise that the peak of his Bell Curve has come and gone but my point here is that his die-hards don't want to go without a fight.

Of the rich people who control their red fiefdoms, many have already left because they are scared of losing all if it goes pear-shaped. Those remaining supporters could create an almighty mess.

The auntie I opened this post with has said she is prepared to die for her beliefs, much to the chagrin of other family members who have said she has been brain-washed by only getting her news from one source.

I'm just a bit worried about how this could develop and how many other people feel the same way as our auntie. :D