Video: Organizers Hand Out Cash To Red-shirt People

george

I admire that they are at least getting out and doing something. I also give them credit for keeping it non-violent through all this.

When the SHTF in the US I don't expect it to be so pleasent. Passive/aggressive that American sheep are.

I hope that the Thai people get to make the point that they want to make and that it stays non-violent. All the civil wars of the west should have proven by now that the cost is not worth it and that in the end we all still have to sit down and figure out a solution.

I would also like to remind my fellow farangs that TIT and the Thai people get to decide what their country should look like. I would be very careful about sharing your opinions because we are no great example to follow.

My TW and I are looking forward to moving back to Thailand at the end of the year. She is not taking sides and niether am I

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would be good if somebody who can speak Thai (and Lao) well could decipher the various exchanges. Because people seem to be making so little effort to relate their observations to what is said, I thought I’'d have a go myself but have to say up front that I'm no linguist. I couldn't pick out anything about fuel. However, it seems that the male speaker is asking for donations as well as giving cash out.

(e.g. The opening sequence)

Man: Nam jai bai, Bang kon bai mai dai song ngern ma soi [isan word]

Be generous. Those people who can't go can give money. Come on!

Female: Rap thaan, chai mai, ka. [giving out money]

The donation, okay sir?

Man: (???)ruum ruum gan rak gan ma hai aawk ma.

All together with love come and give. Come on!

I wasn't sure the people receiving money were drivers, but one exchange made me think this might be the case.

Boa bpen yang ka glap ga yang mee paw loa yu

No problem, you have enough to get there and come back.

Later there is mention that food will be available.

Male: Sabien khong how ga mee yu

We'll have food and drink there.

As the man comments on people receiving money he makes a joke of it, likening it to money to attend a village festival.

Boon ban how (village festival)

Perhaps somebody more expert than me can confirm or correct the above.

Edited by citizen33

Mods can we have the thread title changed? this one a bit missleading something like

Video: Organizers Hand Out Cash To Red-shirt Drivers to Buy GAS!

Thanks

If you check the video the organizers have a photocopy of driving licenses which are checked against the original before the 2000B is handed over.

Now guys please a video of Red Shirt demonstrators being paid if you please

But Thaivisa would not find that half as interesting as lambasting the Thai people for taking a bribe.

It would be good if somebody who can speak Thai (and Lao) well could decipher the various exchanges. Because people seem to be making so little effort to relate their observations to what is said, I thought I’d have a go myself but have to say up front that I’m no linguist. I couldn’t pick out anything about fuel. However, it seems that the male speaker is asking for donations as well as giving cash out.

(e.g. The opening sequence)

Man: Nam jai bai, Bang kon bai mai dai song ngern ma soi [isan word]

Be generous. Those people who can’t go can give money. Come on!

Female: Rap thaan, chai mai, ka. [giving out money]

The donation, okay sir?

Man: (???)ruum ruum gan rak gan ma hai aawk ma.

All together with love come and give. Come on!

I wasn’t sure the people receiving money were drivers, but one exchange made me think this might be the case.

Boa bpen yang ka gap ga yang mee paw loa yu

No problem, you have enough to get there and come back.

Later there is mention that food will be available.

Male: Sabien khong how ga mee yu

We’ll have food and drink there.

As the man comments on people receiving money he makes a joke of it, likening it to money to attend a village festival.

Boon ban how (joke – village festival)

Perhaps somebody more expert than me can confirm or correct the above.

THIS seems far more likely than the somewhat idiotic idea that everyone is getting 2000 baht to go protest, tha's 61 dollars, insane. No one there is gonna pay out $6100 for 100 protesters. It's got to be a limited thing to ppl that will drive protesters to Bangkok. I bet they are paying that for trucks, I don't see it happening for a Jazz. Tho if you can pack 8 ppl into one MAYBE.

as has probably been said, this is more to offset ppls loss of income or cover some small costs like eating or transportation, etc.

Go ahead, be bombastic and say they're buying protesters.

If someone came to your home an offered you SO much you would get up and travel the distance, hang out for a day or two at gatherings and then travel home, now THAT would be buying a protester.

BREAKING NEWS from a crappy English language newspaper ...

"PEOPLE BEING PAID TO GO TO WORK"

In the last few minutes it has been reported that many people around the world are accepting money at the end of every month for sitting on their arse all day doing sweet F.A. Some of them are also claiming expenses for transportation, hotels and meals.

Updates to follow on this shocking news from "Nayshunmultimedia" :)

Why is the American method of vote buying more palatable to everyone? Because it seems more official?

nope, probably because you're not paid to vote one way or another.

"I'll give you 100bucks if I can watch you cross Obama in the ballot booth"

doesn't happen does it?

Although the US has been in the pockets of Wall Street since at least 1981, they don't even need to bribe you with taxes anymore. They just broadcast tripe on Fox and enough people buy it. Some US politicians can't even speak properly, notably GWBush and Palin. This is as unpalatable to most people as vote-buying in Thailand, but I digress...

Ivan, perhaps you have never seen obammy try and speak without a telepromter :) I have, it goes something like this: ah, ah oh eh ah, talk about an empty suit, this guy is making GW look better every day :D Obamas achievments are skyrocketing unemployment, no healthcare bill (thank god!), no cap and trade bill (thank god again!), and he is setting Democrats up for the worst beating they have ever taken in a mid term election, hows that hope and cahnge working out for you?

This is right off the thread as is your post but "no healthcare plan" in the US and your proud of that? People much like you come to western europe from the US get sick or get drunk and break bones and our taxes pay to fix the likes of your fellow countrymen and the millions of less fortunate of our own brothers and sisters who don't have the means to pay for private healthcare insurance. I've always been fortunate enough to earn a good living and if my tax dollar is going to pay for the less fortunate I'm very happy with that.

I don't even believe in god but in a country like the US where the polititians campaign strongly for the Christain vote don't you think a bit of christianity and brothery love is called for and free healthcare for all is a good start. Believe me we're talking the price of a beer or 2 in added taxes each month.

Sure Obama's getting nowhere but in a nation of "I'm alright Jack's" is that any great surprise?

nope, probably because you're not paid to vote one way or another.

Oh yes you are.

In Thailand officials pay people to vote, but cannot--in most cases--actually see who someone votes for. There have even been reports of people taking money from both parties. Sometimes they even pay a small amount up front, and then promise a larger amount if the candidate actually wins, making it almost EXACTLY like the US system of "Elect me and I will give you a treasury check."

Another similarity: the US Democratic party will even provide free rides to the polls from poorer neighborhoods that are considered to be more likely to vote Democratic. This is just an example, the Republican party is just as bad in its own way.

Edited by moto77

A friend's girlfriend owns a couple of stalls in one of the clothing malls in Bangkok. She's not sure she'll be able to keep her shops open this weekend as her workers have been offered 500 baht a day to go protest. Like many other small business people in Bangkok she's just as pissed off at the Reds as she was at the Yellows last year. :)
I gues this person likes the status Quo. That is Democracy in action. :D

Bought and paid for by Mr Thaksin.
Under the same reasoning, Yellow Shirts are bought and paid by who? They are the recruited Poor to earn some money. You can not blame them. Only difference is the Red Shirts want a better life for all not just the Reds.

Money is not the Root of all evil but the Love of it. :)

So do we all agree these people are drivers and receiving 2000B to cover gas (petrol, Benzin) expenses for driving demonstrators to Bangkok and back again???

Is that such a crime??? now we can see how the media really distorts things.

Edited by monkfish

i'm not sure if this has come to anyone's attention.

http://www.pantip.com/cafe/rajdumnern/topi...1/P8978561.html

i can't read thai. but supposedly, comment11 on this thread, quote"comment 11 in this link confirmed the money given in the video had been collected from 'Pa-Pha', a Thai traditional merit making in which people would donate money usually to use in religious cause ie. building or repairing temple. This one (pictures shown in Prachatai link below) was arragned to support the rally. In the video the money collected from the Pa-Pha were given in board daylight to car owners to help with gasoline. "

if you look at it this way, it's just a completely "normal" way to raise funds. well, as far as i've learned "Pa-Pha" traditionally is restricted to "making merit" for a temple. so by now we've people who "make merit" for a "cause": funds are collected & distributed.

looks & sound quite grass-roots to me.

it's just another perspective i came across. & it makes a lot of sense to me na

A short video showing some people with a list handing out some cash to people on the list. Wow...that is pretty clandestine stuff....and allowing someone to record the whole

thing a close range.... absolute proof that reds only protest for cash.... :) Now if this was the other side....they would never do anything this stupid....the money would be wire transferred to an offshore bank account... dam_n it if you are going to do corruption....do it right for gawds sake......

According to my wife it is meant to be anything but clandestine. They WANT it widely disseminated so many more people will show up tomorrow to join. It's proof there's "big money" to be made.

So do we all agree these people are drivers and receiving 2000B to cover gas (petrol, Benzin) expenses for driving demonstrators to Bangkok and back again???

In a word.

No.

In a word.

Why?

My argument:

The people handing out the money have a folder with photocopies of driving licenses (not ID cards) which they check against the original driving license then they hand out 2000B which is also signed for.

Your Argument?

Or he can bring it in through Cambodia or Laos. I've been across the river to both countries before without even stamping a visa or showing my passport. Just hand 20 Baht to the guard boats on the river.

Just what river did you cross to enter Cambodia? It may be a small point, but I'm calling you a liar.

I'm curious, too. Where is this Cambodia/Thailand border on a river?

I never said there's a river between Cambodia and Thailand. But river crossings are usually much less guarded than land crossings. Since Thaksin has political support in Cambodia, he can easily ship anything he wants across the Mekong river into Laos and from there once again across the Mekong river into Thailand.

Maybe I didn't write it clear enough, sorry :)

Edited by rainman

A short video showing some people with a list handing out some cash to people on the list. Wow...that is pretty clandestine stuff....and allowing someone to record the whole

thing a close range.... absolute proof that reds only protest for cash.... :) Now if this was the other side....they would never do anything this stupid....the money would be wire transferred to an offshore bank account... dam_n it if you are going to do corruption....do it right for gawds sake......

According to my wife it is meant to be anything but clandestine. They WANT it widely disseminated so many more people will show up tomorrow to join. It's proof there's "big money" to be made.

I've just noticed vicco's mention in the quote's about them sending the money to offshore accounts instead of handing it out....

Offshore accounts, excuse me but.

:D :D :D

Since Thaksin has political support in Cambodia, he can easily ship anything he wants across the Mekong river into Laos and from there once again across the Mekong river into Thailand.

Soon enough you will be able to cross the Mekong in a samlor :)

2000 baht for a round trip to Bangkok with a full car? from up here in Chiang Mai thats not enough to cover the gas... especially if its a banger.

Love the idea of the Bangkok farangs getting in a huff about this! Somnamnah ya flash city b*stards! :) (apologies koon Thais for any delay to work, random violence, bribery, etc etc)

I watch my wife dress up in red with pride on days like these and go to work (not demonstrate).

I'm just happy she has stopped giving the middle finger to Abhisit when he appears on TV. Always spoils the mood when im ready for bed.

She does still point out Bangkok cars on the drive to work, with a disdainful sneer - they cant drive you know - them Bankokians.

Although the other day she did comment that the money returned to Mr T, was 'ok - dee leaow' - good enough... maybe she is wondering why he doesnt just buy a Fortuner, a pool, and a lifetime supply of somtam and handbags - as she would do with the money.

What a fantastic soap opera! I expect it to run until the double dip recession is over.

I presume "The Nation" is anti-red, maybe I'm mistaken... I don't care either way, be such a twist if the reds came back, and TVisa had to march to a different sponsors beat! LOL (not that the beat is a bad beat, or that another would be better, but it would be fun to watch)

Edited by whiterussian

In a word.

No.

In a word.

Why?

My argument:

The people handing out the money have a folder with photocopies of driving licenses (not ID cards) which they check against the original driving license then they hand out 2000B which is also signed for.

Your Argument?

Look back to the youtube clip, between 1:41 and 1:45.

On the photcopy of the ID's in the folder on the youtube clip, height markers are clearly visible. Height markers that are used to show how tall somebody is. Even as bad as the image is, they are clearly visible.

Thai driving licences do not have these height markers, only ID cards.

The photocopy in the folder WAS NOT a driving licence but an ID card albeit an OLD STYLE ID card.

Please refer to the image below:

ID.jpg

This image shows an old ID card and a new ID card, look at the height markers on the old ID card and compare them with the youtube clip between 1:41 and 1:45

Need I continue?

Edited by Moonrakers

In a word.

No.

In a word.

Why?

My argument:

Your Argument?

Look back to the youtube clip, between 1:41 and 1:45.

On the photcopy of the ID's in the folder on the youtube clip, height markers are clearly visible. Height markers that are used to show how tall somebody is. Even as bad as the image is, they are clearly visible.

Thai driving licences do not have these height markers, only ID cards.

The photocopy in the folder WAS NOT a driving licence but an ID card albeit an OLD STYLE ID card.

Please refer to the image below:

ID.jpg

This image shows an old ID card and a new ID card, look at the height markers on the old ID card and compare them with the youtube clip between 1:41 and 1:45

Need I continue?

OK after looking at the video again I accept your argument that they do appear to be ID cards

(although all are the older ID cards) on the first video. But can you prove these are direct payments

to protesters purely for attending the rally? UDD is a big organization and it is no secret that they do provide transport,

food and water to protesters which all has to be paid for. Unless you can prove it then the title of the thread is nothing more than

liable and slander and should be treated that way. By the way the audio gives a lot away check it out!

corruption in thailand is a bottomless cesspit. my Gf says she will go protest for whoever gives her the money. red green yellow black purple or even rainbow..... its just matter of how much. i had to to pay the schools tea money. the new police commissioner in phuket paid 50 mill baht for his job. now all our tea money has doubled..

but then what are our choices....pay up or FO.

I just pay.

I dont like it where I come from so I'l just pay up and stay here.

I like the food.

OK after looking at the video again I accept your argument that they do appear to be ID cards

(although all are the older ID cards) on the first video. But can you prove these are direct payments

to protesters purely for attending the rally? UDD is a big organization and it is no secret that they do provide transport,

food and water to protesters which all has to be paid for. Unless you can prove it then the title of the thread is nothing more than

liable and slander and should be treated that way. By the way the audio gives a lot away check it out!

The title says: "Organizers hand out cash to red-shirt people"

In the clip: Some people who are clearly organising something are handing out cash to people, some of whom, are wearing red shirts.

What more can be said? Stop clutching at straws......