The Surin Prasat/cambodia Border Market

jaideeguy

3 or 4 years ago, I visited the Cambodia border market near Prasat and saw these nifty Japaneese made stainless steel folding bicycles, but passed on getting one. I regretted passing since then, but next month the wife will be returning to family in Surin and may make a trip down to that border market again and I may have her pick one up for me. Seems that the price was around 2,500thb.

Can anyone confirm IF they are still there and what the price range would be??

Thanks in advance.....

The ones I saw were [99% sure] made in Japan and imported/conated to aid agencies, then put on market. They were all used and in varying condition form good to bad. What tells me they are used Jap bikes was that they had good quality Shimano gearing.\

Any confirmations???

The ones I saw were [99% sure] made in Japan and imported/conated to aid agencies, then put on market. They were all used and in varying condition form good to bad. What tells me they are used Jap bikes was that they had good quality Shimano gearing.\

Any confirmations???

I hope you are right jaideeguy, but I suspect they might have been 'moody' copy Shimano stuff a bit like those Brembo plastic brake covers for cars.

Most things in that market fall apart within days (except the jeans).

There is a good cycle shop near to Surin Plaza, opposite were the Expo market used to be. I bought my Mongoose MTB there with Shimano gears. Threatening to use it this year :)

Dave

IF they are real Jap made bikes......no problem if they are used. Same goes for the clothing that I have bought in the past. Much better to get quality 2nd hand import that lasts much longer than local or china made krap. I've bought great blankets, goose down jackets, real New Zeland sheepskins, etc for me and the family at that market and other 2nd hand vendors.

The only thing I buy new are underware, slippers, t shirts and shorts.......no shame!!

I'm up here in Chiang mai Dave and wife will be down there visiting family.

The market you want to go to is on Highway 214 about 10km south of Kap Choeng and about 2km from the boarder. Its on your left as your going south. There are signs on 214 south of Prasat that say Cambodian Market. My wife bought a bike there that you are asking for, price 1500 baht last year still going strong. :)

Edited by gotlost

Gotlost.....anyway you can you confirm if the bike is a real Jap made and you say it's still going strong...so maybe it is?? As I remember, the prices varied acording to condition and high price was 2,500thb. And what kind of gear/shifter was on it and how many gears??