Anyone Have Experience Applying For A Non-b In Los Angleles

Hi everyone,

I am heading to the US for vacation and am thinking of applying for a One-Year Non-B at the Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angeles this May... does anyone has experience with that location? A further complication (?) may be that I'm Canadian, not American - I don't know if that has any effect, especially since all nationalities apply at various Embassies/Consulates around SEA (KL, Penang, etc.). I just mention it in case it could be a factor affecting success.

I had a One-Year Non-B in 2009 but am currently on a 3-month Non-B visa and now applying for another One-Year.

I have my own company set up and am working on my own with my accountant who unfortunately, I don't completely trust for accurate information - hence my plea for advice here... she sent me on my last One-Year Non-B application run without my Work Permit and that fiasco resulted in me getting only this 3-month visa that I'm on. Grrr.

Any help is so greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

j

I've gotten 2 visas from LA with no problems, but many others have reported issues. I hear Portland is a good office and does not care where you live. The lady there did answer my email, but so did LA. Since I was in Vegas, I chose LA.

I wish I had their business name and/or phone number or info to give you, but I misplaced it a while ago, but across the street there is a really good translation/copy/visa/etc. service. The LA consulate is such a pain to deal with, very slow, unfriendly etc. However when using this service (which is not expensive) they handle everything. I had used them a couple times, on the third time it was for 3 friends who needed tourist visas. We mailed them to this company then grabbed plane (vegas to LA) picked them up no problem. When asked how much they said free, I insisted and tipped them, but anyways really nice couple (wife thai, Husband farang) own and work that business. I'd check in with them before going to the consulate.

To describe where they are:

Walk out of consulate and look right, they are to the right across the street. There is nothing well marked. Once you go into this building they are located, walk down a hall, take a right, and then they are first (or second?) door on left.

Would suggest using an honorary consulate if you can, as likely to get more helpful service. Good reports in from all the honorary consulates mentioned; Denver, Houston, Portland. Make some calls and check what paperwork they require.

Given that in addition to the Thai Embassy at Ottawa, there are multiple Thai Consulates / Honorary Consuls in Canada (Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal)-- any one of which would be able to handle your visa through the mail. Is there some reason as a Canadian citizen you do not want to apply in Canada (fiasco?) and be willing to spend your vacation time pursuing a Visa in the USA?

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I'm going to Southern California for vacation and to look examine the possibility of living there, so a trip to another city in the US or Canada is not really an option. I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone here. I didn't think of the "visa through the mail" option jazzbo, so I'll check that out. I didn't know that that was possible, but have to say that I'd be nervous about mailing my visa out to Canada while I'm in LA. Heck, there's a guy here in Bangkok who says he can get me a visa if I send my passport to him there. Mmm... no. I've always been told to NEVER hand your passport over to anyone who isn't an official at a government agency. And even then, I'm on pins and needles for the 24 hours that I'm without it.

So here's what I learned yesterday...

<< Snip>>

Content removed as you have already posted the question in thread below. Please do not multi-post on different threads.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Overstay-Pur...47#entry3425747

not sure where to reply...but don't worry about sending your passport out in the US. Have done it many, many times over the years for visas to various countries (Brazil, Thailand several times, China, Vietnam, etc.). Make a decent copy along with your current visa and you are OK.

Also, I scan my passport along with the visa page and email to myself. That way, if lost, at least I have a copy....

Hey Beaner;

I am US citizen and applied and received a visa at the Thai Consulate in L.A. It was very simple and there were no lines. On top of that the Visa was free, but I believe that ends sometime in March. The only cost I had was for the photo they required which I got at a Kinko's for about 15USD. Visa applications are only received in the morning.

Not sure if they will process a visa for a Canadian but you can give it a try.

That will have been for a tourist visa where the MFA 'promotion' ended on 4th March (but new promotion starts again on 1st April 2010). The Op is talking about obtaining a multiple entry Non-B visa, which is different, and is not free.

Scan, Photocopy, etc. That way, if lost, at least I have a copy.... If you are a US citizen, the best proof of citizenship you can have is your old(er) expired passport... The US State Department takes the position that, given all the various Adobe tools, a copy of anything can be forged. Whether this applies to other countries I have no idea.

Thanks again everyone.

Thought I'd close this off (for now) with the latest update...

I have some great news - I think I found a solution for my Work Visa rigamorole...

I just spoke with the Thai Consul in Toronto on the phone. He's a dream, friendly, totally relaxed, and basically said he doesn't need to see ANY company paperwork; that if I have a valid Work Permit there is basically no way for him to refuse me the One-Year Mulit-Entry Non-Immigrant B visa. I told him that I was surprised to hear that, that I have encountered so many problems here in Asia, but his response was that it's because I'm going to embassies not in my own country.

So... once in the US I'll courier my Passport and Work Permit to the Royal Thai Consulate in Toronto with the payment of $175CAD.

So that's totally easy. PLUS, he says an Overstay in my passport is not an issue!

I think I love him.

I'm going to email him to confirm all of this and have it in writing, but here's how I see it falling into place...

1. Attend Immigration in Phuket Town to get a 7-day Extension of Visa on or about 9April (extension will expire on 25April) - 1,900b

2. Overstay 4 days and pay when exiting Thailand on 29April - 2,000b

3. Courier Passport, Work Permit and Visa Application to Toronto with next day service on 03May - cost TBD

4. Passport, Work Permit, Visa Application to Royal Thai Consul in Toronto - cost $175CAD

5. In my case, my parents will pick up my Passport and Work Permit, but you can have them courier it back out to you. (My dad will bring the docs to me in LAX where we're meeting for a few days)

Am I missing anything?

I can't believe it's this easy. Well, easier.

Living here has made me so suspicious and I second-guess *everything*.

Very sad.

If any other Canadians on ThaiVisa want the information...

Royal Thai Consulate-General, Toronto

17 Isabella St. Unit #100, M4Y 1M7

(416) 850-0110

www.thaiconsulatetoronto.com

[email protected]

Monday to Friday 10:30 - 12:30 and 13:30 - 15:30

George Heller, Consul-General

I asked him about submitting via mail from Thailand the next time around, and he said (again) NO PROBLEM! But that Immigration, on departure out of Thailand, may question it. He's had someone do it before with no issue, just know that they may ask why but its certainly not "illegal" or anything.

My last niggly concern is with Immigration here at Phuket Airport when they see my 4-day Overstay. However, when I went to Immigration in Phuket Town two days ago, event the guy there advised me to do it. So, it can't be too serious, maybe just a hassle if you get the wrong officer, as a friend of mine did.

So there you go.

Maybe the above is familiar to some and I've been the one who is completely clueless, but I hope this has helped others who may not have known about the options. And still for some others maybe it has provided some comfort... or entertainment. Pfft.