90 Day Entry Stamp On Non-imm O

Got to do a border run in the next few weeks and as we're likely to be in Isaan anyway it's probably best to head for Nong Khai and go over the bridge. It's not a visa renewal or anything, I just have to get a new 90 day stamp.

Is it simply a question of getting stamped out on the Thai side, walking over the bridge and shelling out 35$US for the Lao visa, turning round, exiting Laos and re-entering Thailand? Are pedestrians allowed on the bridge or do you have to get a bus? Are there any other complications?

I'd go and stay in Vientiane for a night or two, but I'm not very keen on leaving my motor on the Thai side.

yes it's that simple. if you pay for the laos visa in US$ it's cheaper than baht. you need a photo.

it's safe to leave your motor on the thai side - there are a couple of secured parking lots within 200 metres of the bridge. I've left my motorcycle there a number of times for a few days each time. a car is about 100 baht per day.

i walked across the bridge once with no problems, but there is a sign which blocks the path half-way in thai which i think says "no entry".

the bus leaves every 10 minutes or so from immigration to immigration, costs about 20 baht one-way.

depending on where you are in issan, there are 2 other border crossings - Mukdahan and Surin. The best of all 3 is Surin.

good luck!

Edit: I got side tracked and typed slow. See now there is a similar response above mine.

The bus is $1 US the first way (Free for Thais) and will be included with your visa and paid for at same time. The return bus cost 20 baht and there is a large stand (same one everyone else is using) to purchase the ticket. Very simple.

Your only concern is potential long waits to get the Laos visa. When I went recently 6 tour buses pulled up back to back and it put a 2 hour freeze on this where they took everyones passport and money and had us all wait.

Not sure if there was a better time but someone told me to get there at 5:45AM is best. At 6AM can get the visa and this gives time to have forms ready and be standing in line with first group which is usually small at that time.

Also another tip, to save money have $36 US dollars ready when purchasing the Visa/Bus as I believe they charge 1640 baht (something like that) or $36 US. Dollars are obvious much cheaper.

Edited by jimky

Thanks, chaps. If the car parking near the bridge is secure, I think a little trip into Vientiane is on the cards.

We have used the secure parking a couple of times and I thought it was pretty good.

After catching the bus for the short trip accross the bridge we caught a taxi for the trip into Vientiane, we stayed a couple of nights and enjoyed it very much.

That's a relatively new thing if the visa fee includes the bus. The last 2 times that I have been, I got my visa in advance, so I wouldn't know about that. But it looks like they charge you an extra 40 Baht for the visa, so actually double the cost of the bus :)

If you get your visa on arrival, note that they put your entry stamp in your passport at the same time as your visa, so you don't have to queue again at the immigration booths - just walk straight past.

Farang do not have to pay the 10 Baht entry/exit fee but Thais do.

I prefer to get my visa for Laos in Khon Kaen now as I've had some horrendous waits for the Visa on arrival. For a UK citizen the Visa at the Laos Consulate in KK is 1400 Baht. Payment of an additional 200 Baht means that they will give you your visa immediately, otherwise it takes 2 days!