I Like Thai Music , Do You ? And Who Do You Like ?

dmax

LOSO Is the only musically talented Thai musicians I've seen so far. Everything ells sucks ass

Although im a fan of RNB. They just can't cut the cake.

Sounds like you have had little exposure to Thai music then. The main reason people like Loso is that he is a pale imitation of a western act, so seems familiar and safe.

Well since I work for one of Bangkok biggest nightclubs and still quite a young lad I think it's a safe bet that I know of nearly every Thai musician mentioned on this thread.

But you are right since I am quite young I am more in touch with the western acts and enjoy western music and not ready and don't think I ever will enjoy much Thai music.

I know bird is a talented musician, but I am decently not a fan of he's.

Edited by RakJungTorlae

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Thai music, in particular singers from Isaan, and here is a list of singers from my collection:

Tukatan Chollada

Tai Oratai

Por Parichaat

Me

Jintara Poonlarp

Klim Platoomaa

Honey Sri-Isaan

Sunaree Ratchasima

Poompuang Duangjun

Fon Tanasoontorn

Sek Loso

Kratae

A-Zeer

thanx for the explanation of th buri ram style of mor lum sing; yes, the thai are very very critical of kmen anything (when anon wants to demonstrate that a person is speaking unintelligably, he will say; it sounds like kmen to me'...

we missed the mike concert in moshav ein habasor a year or so back; it was 300 shekels a ticket and a three hour drive down south so anon, being lazy about travelling far (i drive but he hates going far from home) claimed that 300 shekels was too much.... the thai in the area all got free transport but anyone too far out had to do own driving. the consulate wasnt very pro active in advertising either--just that ein habasor has 400-500 thai workers and the surrounding area moshavim and kibbutzim must have a good couple thousand so they knew and thai have a good word of mouth system here so we heard from someone...

i said that this year if there is a songkran concert we should go but havent heard anything on the grapevine yet. the thai on my kibbutz /as a matter of fact our whole area, doesnt have large concentrated amounts, so no concerts get to us. its not the ease of visas. its the manpower companies-- work, exploitation, blabla bla -- not a discussion for this thread/ however, needless to say, we visit a moshav in the middle north also with about 400 thais-- its a real little issaan music , mor lam band, foot ball teams and all....

OT:

what happened to daeng is what happens to a lot of singers in many countries; they cant handle the fame/fortune/fun; he was boozing it up (like majority of thai males in the area) and drive while drunk. i remember that sompong got the phone call that daeng was in hospital and his wife was having a shit fit... never did follow up much after that and then sompong's visa was up and went back home, i got married and thai males dont look favorably on contacts with other thai males regarless of what the relationship was/is, so lost contact. the sad thing is that daeng was like a role model for this guy; while he was slaving away in our orchards and then in my petting zoo, he would tell me how he wanted to be a singer but his father refused to allow him, made him work in the fields, etc etc etc. this guy had a really good voice also, but also drank like a fish.

as a matter of fact, it seems to me that an awful lot of thai males (i dont see/interact with women as they are far and few between here) can sing really well, with or without accompaniment. maybe cause they are from agricultural areas and still/used to not have tv, dvd, whatever, so they would sing while working. often here u go to a greenhouse in the 50 cel.heat and the guys are singing w/o benefit of radio or earphones or whatever. also a large amount seem to be able to play guitar , much more then most youth i know except for the russian set here, who also like to sit around in the evening playing guitars and drinking vodka. met quite a few that can play phin, saew or khaen, also harmonica, recorder and a large majority can play drums on anything from tin cans to garbage cans to oil barrels.

i recently heard a famous popular yemenite hebrew singer (famous for the lilting curling of his voice while singing) explain why there are so many singers from yemen (the jews from yemen that live in israel); he claims its because their perticular way of doing the psalms and other poetic parts of prayers in the synogogue everyone has to sing along as opposed to other ethnic groups where there is a main person (man) who sings most of the singing parts of the prayers. therefore most children grew up singing. similar to the gospel tradition i guess where many american singers got their start. nowadays unforutnately kids from all culturels dont seem to break in to spontaneous song w/o the mp3 as accompaniment.

therefore the 'country' luk thung/mor lum and other 'older' more 'traditional' singing will die out as everyone sort of main streams for good and bad. less and less guys and women will be coming in from the rice fields singing on the back of a buffalo and then make a few recordings.

bina

israel

'therefore the 'country' luk thung/mor lum and other 'older' more 'traditional' singing will die out as everyone sort of main streams for good and bad. less and less guys and women will be coming in from the rice fields singing on the back of a buffalo and then make a few recordings.'

luktung and morlam adapt too well to really die out-these styles just keep changing with the times. What dies out are styles like lam tad, pleng choi and other folk singing styles which have become just special festival events with few expert singers left. Lukrung (old romantic city sound) is also pretty much stuck in the past with an aging fan base, even though many of the songs are wonderful they sound like they are from another age, even when brought up to date by singers like Olawee S Janon.

Edited by thai3

Well since I work for one of Bangkok biggest nightclubs and still quite a young lad I think it's a safe bet that I know of nearly every Thai musician mentioned on this thread.

Just don't tell them you think they 'suck ass' then, some of these people would have your legs broken.

The two classics for any farang wanting to get into Thai music would have to be Carabou and Loso.

No 'Chan Raek Mae' is number one...

Never heard the name, can you give some more info?

there thais version of chas and dave

thai3, so that we dont hijack the thread too too much, can u give me some links to the other forms of music/singing u mentioned... id like to know more, i cant read thai, and anon is only literate in things that he knows he knows to search for...

id like to know more in general, so if u have the patience to start a new thread perhaps, or pm me... so the folks here can continue to list their fave singers thai style...

bina

israel

thai3, so that we dont hijack the thread too too much, can u give me some links to the other forms of music/singing u mentioned... id like to know more, i cant read thai, and anon is only literate in things that he knows he knows to search for...

id like to know more in general, so if u have the patience to start a new thread perhaps, or pm me... so the folks here can continue to list their fave singers thai style...

bina

israel

http://www.stickmanweekly.com/ReadersSubmi.../reader4875.htm

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/ReadersSubm.../reader5795.htm

Are a couple of things I wrote on Thai music

still reading!

thanks for posting.

90% of the posted stuff is folk music though, which I like about the same as western/country music. Not my cup of tea.

I meant to post this for the first link as it includes some clips <a href='http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/redirect.php?url=http%3A%2F%2F%26lt%3BURL+Automatically+Removed%26gt%3B%2Fview.php%3Fpg%3Dthai_music_luktung' rel='nofollow' target="_blank" onclick="java script:urchinTracker('/outgoing/<URL Automatically Removed>');">http://<URL Automatically Removed>/view.php?pg=thai_music_luktung</a> while I don't agree it is like country and western luktung has been influenced by C&W and there are still 'cowboy' acts around, although pleng ho, or cowboy luktung had it's heyday long ago. I did not write about other styles as i don't know much about them as not interested.

Opps seems you cannot post links to <URL Automatically Removed> articles on here- it's under TD links at the top of the home page

try one more time- that's t e a k d o o r site, what did they do to upset you lot? stickman is ok I see.

Edited by thai3

sorry! my above post was not implying resemblance of thai folk with western/country.

I was just saying that 90% of music posted here is folk music.

Then I said that I don't like folk so much!

And third I said that I also don't like country/western music, so that nobody would think I have a particular dislike for Thai folk.

i think there are two tendencies for foreigners in foreign lands: 1: to hate the music of the foreign land cause its so different or unintelligable or just not their style 2: love the music especially the more 'native' music since its exotic. i guess im in the second category although after living in israel for 30 yrs (that long?) i prefer israeli rock/folk/pop more then the english stuff, people here of all ages tend to listen to the same music -whatever junk is on the radio statios of which we dont have too many. the english lang. music hsas changed too much and my tastes have remained fairly frozen in the 70' 80's....

as thai music, the more 'native-y' stuff is more exotic so i like it. the regular pop junk radio stuff.........ichhhhhhhh heebie jeebies....

wht i find equally bizarre is that i was raised in ahouse with foreing music of all sorts and also opera and classical. i hate opera and classical for th emost part.... even after being exposed, concerts, learning about the music, friends who are classic musicians, whatever.... blech...

that could be a reason why the 'folk' music is popoular with farangs. its just sooooo different but still listenable. the muey thai stuff though, that is the caterwauling sound of siamese cats-- an aquired taste that makes your heart rate increase (thats its purpose, like a blood lust music, the beating of tomtom drums, whatever), ive grown to actually like the sound.

i hear a lot of arabic music even when i dont want too, so there also ive developed an 'ear' for certain styles, which do NOT include the pseodo heavy metal rock/rapper stuff. (hip hop in arabic is horrible).. but then again its horrible in thai and hebrew also. in english i try to catch the words at least...

well, no groups then to suggest..

bina

israel

Bina:

I like Thai music that is similar to my own tastes. I don't like Luug Tung. Can I bear it with a smile and ignore it? Yes, easily. When I hang out with my mechanic friends, this is what they like.

The pop music scene, is it really much worse than any other country? The best benefit is that you can drown out the lyrics and never have to realize how contrite they are.

My wife loves Bekery (Boyd, etc), it's way to slow and soft for my liking.

I like rock, liked Big Ass, Bodyslam, Silly Fools, Hangman, Retrospect (but they are more EMO),

Groove Riders is disco/funk

Buddha Bless is Dancehall Reggae

Scrubb is a bit light, but they're friends, so I'll throw out a shameless plug.

I think also that the age of the majority of the posters is reason for the strong luug tuung leanings.

Bina:

I think also that the age of the majority of the posters is reason for the strong luug tuung leanings.

You would have to know the ages first, I don't see it as age related any more than a class preference, at least as far as Thai's are concerned. One of the best blogs on Thai music is run by a 22 year old from the USA. Also there are quite a few very young singers who the kids really like, nong mai, nong banz junior, nong temo etc. As far as young Thai's are concerned luktung is very popular as the many troupes from Schools show, you can see this on sat TV chin chaw sawan show at about 5. Is pop music worse than other countries? I would put it on aboput the same level as TV and say yes definitely, repetitive and uncreative.

So, you think the retirees here, who make up a large portion of the boards, want to listen to bands like Retrospect and summer suicide as they scream and thrash their guitars? Or do you think they are more likely to like Carrabao and Luug Tuung?

And yes, Luug tuung is popular among the young, but I am referring to foreigners.

I also want to stress that I am no saying one type of music is better, nor are you a better person for liking any said type over another. I am simply stating that age demographics has a large impact on musical choice.

Edited by BlackArtemis

So, you think the retirees here, who make up a large portion of the boards, want to listen to bands like Retrospect and summer suicide as they scream and thrash their guitars? Or do you think they are more likely to like Carrabao and Luug Tuung?

And yes, Luug tuung is popular among the young, but I am referring to foreigners.

I also want to stress that I am no saying one type of music is better, nor are you a better person for liking any said type over another. I am simply stating that age demographics has a large impact on musical choice.

I do know oldies who prefer string, but to be honest I tend to keep away from getting to know foreigners here as they are usually trouble, drunks, sex addicts or a bit crazy, so i'll take your word on this. Just as I say Thai TV is awful there is a documentary on tonight following the life of a minor luktung singer around Bangkok, remarkably good, never seen anything like it before.

Here is the link to the very good blog on thai music http://monrakplengthai.blogspot.com

Edited by thai3

just opened the blog listed above, husband latched on....good stuff...

am helping someone write a syllabus for teaching american teens here about 'near east/north african i.e. arabic music and influences on jewish synoguge music (dont ask)... the problem is how do we develop the ' ear' of a normal east coast city kid to enjoy the sounds of arabic trilling and stuff: drums. everyone loves drums and the arab rythims on drums seem to be globallly enjoyed by teens. little by little they will be introduce dto the oud and other instruments... should be interesting... at the same time, the guy i am helping has been listening to thai stuff (as per thread in issaan forum), and he is developing his 'ear' also...

i do kno wthat when my son worked with the thai workers in the orchards their luuk thung drove him nuts after a while as they heard the same stuff over over voer and over even htough they have a large choice. they seem to prefer the same music all the time. they dont seem to like very new sounds/singers.

bina

israel

just opened the blog listed above, husband latched on....good stuff...

am helping someone write a syllabus for teaching american teens here about 'near east/north african i.e. arabic music and influences on jewish synoguge music (dont ask)... the problem is how do we develop the ' ear' of a normal east coast city kid to enjoy the sounds of arabic trilling and stuff: drums. everyone loves drums and the arab rythims on drums seem to be globallly enjoyed by teens. little by little they will be introduce dto the oud and other instruments... should be interesting... at the same time, the guy i am helping has been listening to thai stuff (as per thread in issaan forum), and he is developing his 'ear' also...

[...]

Wow. I have never seen anybody so blatantly hijacking a thread. :)

i always hijack threads, but allow them to divert back too.:D) its my natural enthusiamsim about a subject getting out of hand... sorry.....( there is a good thread running in the issaan section about issaan music-- the ethnic stuff, for any mor lum /sing freaks); kho tot and all that.. :) to the OP for the hijack....

back to carabou dang then....

bina

israel

Loso live!

He burned his guitar on stage at the Pattaya music festival last week, really cool and revolutionary don't you think? What next, feedback, playing with his teeth and saying groovy man? Maybe Thai's have not seen these aspects of American 60's rock before!