Thaksin's Rural Red Shirts Swarm The Capital

webfact

I don't get it. 65 million Thais and and a micro minority of100,000 can bring down a government just by showing up, carrying signs, playing music and making speeches to themselves? Interesting dynamic. I just don't see how this works for them.

It worked fairly well for the Pad, and their numbers were smaller.

Edited by sjaak327

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will get frustrated. They don't have the majority support or the moral authority to pull off what they are demanding. ((remove)). You figure it out ...

They have the majority support. If an election were held today, Peuah Thai would win again. And the military would dissolve the party. This is not democracy. This is moreless a fascist and/or elitist system. A system where some people's (the majority of the electorate) votes don't count; or don't count as much as other wealthier voting groups.

I don't get it. 65 million Thais and and a micro minority of100,000 can bring down a government just by showing up, carrying signs, playing music and making speeches to themselves? Interesting dynamic. I just don't see how this works for them.

It work fairly well for the Pad, and their numbers were smaller.

My point exactly SJ! The yellow shirts took violent and aggressive action in taking over those governemnt buildings and laying siege to the airport, while the police and the military just stood by, and now the red shirts are just trying to make a peaceful protest in Bangkok and the response by the nervous ( and perhaps guilt riden) PM is to mass the military and try and block out the peaceful protesters coming in to Bangkok from the countryside :D I guess that the Thai elites in Bangkok not only feel that the folks in the countryside are not worthy of a vote, but that they do not even have the right to protest an illegal government without being harrassed by the military and police :) I seem to remember reading about the same mentality that the Thai elites have of superior feeling in history class years ago, it was Germany in the early 1930's :D Ring a bell?

My point exactly SJ! The yellow shirts took violent and aggressive action in taking over those governemnt buildings and laying siege to the airport, while the police and the military just stood by, and now the red shirts are just trying to make a peaceful protest in Bangkok and the response by the nervous ( and perhaps guilt riden) PM is to mass the military and try and block out the peaceful protesters coming in to Bangkok from the countryside :D I guess that the Thai elites in Bangkok not only feel that the folks in the countryside are not worthy of a vote, but that they do not even have the right to protest an illegal government without being harrassed by the military and police :) I seem to remember reading about the same mentality that the Thai elites have of superior feeling in history class years ago, it was Germany in the early 1930's :D Ring a bell?

The difference is that the Yellows had good reason to be hold their ground and stage an unwavering protest. The spineless / useless Government that was the ThankSin regime didn't lift a finger to stop the protest. In other words, they were incapable of taking command of the situation. Old wimpy brother-in-law Somchai fled the country (gee, seems to be a pattern with the Shitawatra family) during the time of crisis. Then what actually stopped the protest which nobody seems to remember was the fact that a judgement was given in the ongoing case of vote buying and the then Government was declared illegal. Plain and simple, by the books and I'm sure had the shoe been on the other foot the frikk'n red t-shirt gang would not have been crying "foul".

Despite how vigorous the pro-Thaksin supporters claim no money is changing hands for the supporters, we in the capital don't have to go far to hear from people that have been offered cash to attend - the maid of my last workplace for one.

Turnout directly equates cash. Thaksin is going for it this time.

For sure, so lets hope he REALLY is going for broke this time, and that he REALLY goes broke. Hope springs eternal. However, I fear this is more like one of those zombie horror movies where you keep thinking the monster is finished, but he keeps coming alive for more ...

....A bit like your posts then. The same old turgid, repetitive, self opininionated drivel. So far this week, you've claimed to speak for the general Thai population, then given the world viewpoint of the reds.

Aren't you getting dizzy on that high horse of yours?

Where do you get this '"information"? Seems as though you spend every waking moment posting on this site. How on earth do you find time to garner opinions from the wide range that you claim?

Of all the varied opinions on this site, regarding the red demonstrations, it seems from your posts, that you are fervently hoping for a violent end to the demonstration. I cannot for the life of me understand why.

I do, of course realise that this post will give you yet another excuse to ramble on and on about Thaksin, red menace, black songkran etc, but I for one, will be ignoring you. :)

The difference is that the Yellows had good reason to be hold their ground and stage an unwavering protest. The spineless / useless Government that was the ThankSin regime didn't lift a finger to stop the protest. In other words, they were incapable of taking command of the situation. Old wimpy brother-in-law Somchai fled the country (gee, seems to be a pattern with the Shitawatra family) during the time of crisis. Then what actually stopped the protest which nobody seems to remember was the fact that a judgement was given in the ongoing case of vote buying and the then Government was declared illegal. Plain and simple, by the books and I'm sure had the shoe been on the other foot the frikk'n red t-shirt gang would not have been crying "foul".

Yeewow, So by ransacking those governement buildings and laying siege to the airport the yellow shirts were well within their rights, but the red shirts don't even have the right to come to Bangkok and have a peaceful protest against what they see as an illegal governemt withjout being harrased by the military and the police, if that is pretty much your view of the situation then you would have fit right in with the brown shirts in Germany in the early 1930's :D

They will get frustrated. They don't have the majority support or the moral authority to pull off what they are demanding. ((remove)). You figure it out ...

They have the majority support. If an election were held today, Peuah Thai would win again. And the military would dissolve the party. This is not democracy. This is moreless a fascist and/or elitist system. A system where some people's (the majority of the electorate) votes don't count; or don't count as much as other wealthier voting groups.

Good to see someone who can sift through the anti-red dross on this forum. :)

The yellow shirts have never done anything for the huge majority of ordinary Thai people, except keep them at the very bottom of the pile, and never will. Thaksin for all his faults, gave them hope, for a better future. The future for the rural poor, under the yellow shirts, is to not even have a vote. What kind of democracy is that?

Despite how vigorous the pro-Thaksin supporters claim no money is changing hands for the supporters, we in the capital don't have to go far to hear from people that have been offered cash to attend - the maid of my last workplace for one.

For sure, so lets hope he REALLY is going for broke this time, and that he REALLY goes broke. Hope springs eternal. However, I fear this is more like one of those zombie horror movies where you keep thinking the monster is finished, but he keeps coming alive for more ...

....A bit like your posts then. The same old turgid, repetitive, self opininionated drivel. So far this week, you've claimed to speak for the general Thai population, then given the world viewpoint of the reds.

Aren't you getting dizzy on that high horse of yours?

Where do you get this '"information"? Seems as though you spend every waking moment posting on this site. How on earth do you find time to garner opinions from the wide range that you claim?

Of all the varied opinions on this site, regarding the red demonstrations, it seems from your posts, that you are fervently hoping for a violent end to the demonstration. I cannot for the life of me understand why.

I do, of course realise that this post will give you yet another excuse to ramble on and on about Thaksin, red menace, black songkran etc, but I for one, will be ignoring you. :)

Wee, You kind of have to take Jing with a grain of salt, he knows that his views are not based in reality nor do any of the facts back up his wild supopositions, but yet he still rambles on :D

The difference is that the Yellows had good reason to be hold their ground and stage an unwavering protest.

I think that the same could be said of the reds.

If only they were to channel their efforts towards the relevant targets and stop fighting for a particular individual.

The Thaskin, puppet government, in those days, implemented the State of Emergency, when there were only around 20,000 peaceful protesters, which kept getting antagonized by red shirt trouble makers. The SOE was a horrible thing for Thailand and it's tourist economy.

I think PM Abhisit is wise, to hold back on implementing a SOE. Granted, there were outbreaks of violence from both sides, but nothing warranted the drastic action by the government at the time. (Shooting weapons grade teargas directly in the crowd, with the police egging the protesters on, with comments like "Common, if you think you can take it".

So far, the present government, is handling the situation a lot better, having to deal with more than 10 times the number of protesters.

Another big difference, too.... Abhisit is in the country handling the situation, unlike Somchai running away, as some poeple have already mentioned. Same goes for the protest leaders. Sondhi and Khun Chamlong, could be seen several times, leading the protesters and taken the stage almost daily, to adress their followers. Meanwhile, Thaksin and his family, are taking a "holiday" in Europe, while his loyal followers are risking their neck for him...and for what, so he can get his sentence revoked and his ill gained Billions returned???? This whole thing is a joke :D

Anyways, we are dealing with the here and now. Red, not yellow protesters. Lets see where this will lead. All I am saying is, that considering the seriousness of the situation, Abhisit is handling it quite well.

The facts, you say? The promise? A million. The reality? 100K. There are your facts.

I think that the million number was quite a bit overblown, and not to quibble with the government numbers but most objective news outlets outside of the Kingdom place the numbers at closer to 150,000 currently, and the week is still young so who knows :)

Yeewow, So by ransacking those governement buildings and laying siege to the airport the yellow shirts were well within their rights, but the red shirts don't even have the right to come to Bangkok and have a peaceful protest against what they see as an illegal governemt withjout being harrased by the military and the police, if that is pretty much your view of the situation then you would have fit right in with the brown shirts in Germany in the early 1930's :D

I never said they did the most responsible things. But two wrongs do not make a right which the Red T-shirts do not seem to understand. I also notice you did not dispute any of my points. I like to hear you discredit them point by point mr. know-it-all. Please address them directly if you wish to rebut my post.

Good to see someone who can sift through the anti-red dross on this forum. :)

The yellow shirts have never done anything for the huge majority of ordinary Thai people, except keep them at the very bottom of the pile, and never will. Thaksin for all his faults, gave them hope, for a better future. The future for the rural poor, under the yellow shirts, is to not even have a vote. What kind of democracy is that?

Good one and nice to see.

Encouraging...............

Best

Phil

Don't be part of the problem! Be part of a new solution!

Regards,

I think the word "solution" fits in well with Thaksins ideology, judging by his previous. :)

It seems to me that one of the last times the world has seen an individual THIS hungry for power and control, with ill regard how he achieved it, the expression that person used to describe his "Master Plan". was not just "solution".. but "The Final Solution"..

Perhaps very fitting, since Thaksin is already walking the earth with bloodied hands; the result of his own murderous policies.

Even in the vast sea of evil and/or corrupt Thai politicians, it's my opinion that this one stands out clearly as what could only be described as "the very worst choice" to lead the country.

The facts, you say? The promise? A million. The reality? 100K. There are your facts.

I think that the million number was quite a bit overblown, and not to quibble with the government numbers but most objective news outlets outside of the Kingdom place the numbers at closer to 150,000 currently, and the week is still young so who knows :)

Typical and totally hypocritical spin there. If you reddies had gotten your million you would be claiming a historic victory. But now that you have failed miserably, the numbers mean nothing. What a crock. BTW, you have your facts wrong ... again --

Foreign media estimated the crowds early on Sunday at over 100,000.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/thaksin-ju...ttend-udd-rally

The government estimated even LESS. BTW, Sunday was supposed to be the PEAK. When will you admit defeat?

Good to see someone who can sift through the anti-red dross on this forum. :D

Good one and nice to see.

Encouraging...............

Best

Phil

I'll second that Phil :) The yellow shirt supporters here don't have a leg to stand on, so they feel the need to resort to lies and attacks on former PM Taksin, rather than deal with the fact that 150,000 Thais from all over the country have come to Bangkok in a peaceful maner to protest what they feel is a illigitimate government :D

I think that the million number was quite a bit overblown, and not to quibble with the government numbers but most objective news outlets outside of the Kingdom place the numbers at closer to 150,000 currently, and the week is still young so who knows :D

Typical and totally hypocritical spin there. If you reddies had gotten your million you would be claiming a historic victory. But now that you have failed miserably, the numbers mean nothing. What a crock. BTW, you have your facts wrong ... again --

Foreign media estimated the crowds early on Sunday at over 100,000.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/thaksin-ju...ttend-udd-rally

The government estimated even LESS. BTW, Sunday was supposed to be the PEAK. When will you admit defeat?

I'm not a "reddie" nor do I have any vested interest in either side here, it just seems highly hypocrtitical that yellow maniacs like yourself feel so intimidated by people from the countryside coming to Bangkok to make a peaceful protest, while at the same time you try and rationalize the criminal actions by the yellow shirts in ransacking the government buildings and laying siege to the airport a couple years ago :) Try a little objectivity sometime there jing, you may find that it does wonders for your outlook :D

You mean something siimilar to this,

amazing video clip. should not be missed. watch!

The simple fact is about 1/3 of the country loves Thaksin, doesn't care what evil he did and wants him back in power for their own selfish gain. Another 1/3 of the country loathes the very fact that he breathes the same air as them and is completely committed to educating their less enlightened brethren about the fact that he is the most evil man since Hitler.

Here is the truth about both of these groups. They are irrelevant! Yes, that is correct. You may have guessed that these 2 groups are broadly associated with the reds and the yellows. Neither of these 2 groups makes any difference in the grand scheme of things. If this is all you've got, you've got nothing.

The only people who really matter are the 1/3 in the middle who can go either way. These are loosely represented by the coalition allies who have unprecedented power in the current situation. The fact is, this middle group likes their current role, and doesn't want to see an end to the current grousing match.

(Please note, while red and yellow are evenly matched, it may not be exactly numerically equal to 33.3%. For example, it may be 40/40/20 instead. I use the term "third" symbolically.)

So, these 2 groups, the reds and the yellows, set out to find allies. The yellows found their allies in the military. Result? They made a difference.

The reds have no allies, except possibly the police, which is why the military keeps getting called in. What the red mob is doing today is nothing more than a massive advertising campaign to try and get the middle third of the country to side with them. The only problem is, the middle third doesn't like them very much and is already content with their lot. So, all they can really do is try and inconvenience the entire country in the hope that the people will blame the government for not being more proactive.

This won't work either of course. Everyone knows who started this pissing contest, and nobody (except for a die hard red) is going to blame the government if the reds start making trouble.

So, there are only 2 possible outcomes for this demonstration. One, the reds go home with their tails between their legs and things go back to the status quo. This is the outcome most people are hoping for. The majority are happy with the status quo. Not necessarily the government, but the status quo. The yellows because their guy is in charge, and the middle third because they already have unprecedented negotiating power and see no reason to switch.

Two, Thaksin decides to go for broke and starts a violent civil war. This will of course require someone of extraordinary stature step in and put an end to the conflict. Thaksin's obvious agenda in this case is that he feels he may get a better bargain from this than he will by following the law. This is the bloody outcome most people are fearing.

There just isn't any other possible outcome to this. The reds can't win because the other side is equally balanced, and the middle simply won't join them. The military has already chosen its side, and it wasn't the reds, so there are no more factions left to try and influence. They are isolated, and they know it. All they can do is cause harm. They can't win.

Anybody who thinks either the reds or the yellows have a majority in this squabble isn't living in reality. The yellows however, have the military. The reds simply have defeat.

I never said they did the most responsible things. But two wrongs do not make a right which the Red T-shirts do not seem to understand. I also notice you did not dispute any of my points. I like to hear you discredit them point by point mr. know-it-all. Please address them directly if you wish to rebut my post.

"Two wrongs don't make a right" so you are finally admitting that the yellow shirts were wrong in occupying those governement buildings and laying siege to the airport? That would be a good first step there Yeewow, of course the second step would be to admit that the red shirts have the right to come to Bangkok and peacefully protest what they view as an illigitimate governmet :D Once you can do that then and only then a rational conversation can begin :D The conversation will have to wait until later however , because I am heading out to the golf club now :D

As the government has noted, by day two and certainly by day three the Redshirt leaders will be exasperated and the Redshirts themselves will be tired and in a less than pleasant mood and frame of mind. Any group of 80,000 or 100,000 can shut down a capital city as the Redshirt leaders have 'promised' to do if the government doesn't quit (which it should not).

It would be at that peak point of frustration among the Redshirts, apprehension by the security forces, that a self-immolation could begin. From another thread, if such a conflagration should begin it at least could be expected to lead to a sweeping away of Thaksin's influence and presence.

It then would be up to everyone to find a way to reconcile society and to provide the rural dispossessed their share of the pie. All Thaksin ever provided was the yeast.

I don't get the reasonong of many people in this forum which have been always a PRO PAD forum.

A friend of mine, a welthy Chinese-Thai has donated a week ago at the red shirts rally 100,000 Baht to support them.

And many other welthy and less welthy citizens that I know have supported the cause of the RED's.

NO THAKSIN money.

But keep spewing your yelllow propaganda which is the MAIN CAUSE of what is happening now.

You have to bear in mind that most of the pro PAD Thaksin haters never posted anything anti when he was in power, they are just gutless pro the staus quo without any real principals, other than bending over for who ever is in charge. Some of the pro PAD lot on here beggar belief, I have even read that Thailand is not ready for democracy as all the people are not educated enough to vote. This really is a disgusting concept that was used in Europe to argue against universal sufferage, as well as a reason for not giving women and blacks the vote.All Thailand need to enter the 21st century are fair elections and no coups and a much diminished personality cult. lets hope for elections sooner rather than later, the Reds are right to feel betrayed by the military and are right to try and do something about it.

Excellent post Dave! Thaivisa posters (or at least the ones who seem to have all day to post) for the most part are anti red and for that matter anti American. They don't seem to want true democracy to flourish in the Kingdom despite the fact that most are from countries that have a true democracy :) I never quite figured that out, unless the common though process is that if true representative democracy ever came to Thailand then it would have a decided anti farang fever to it, and would leave many of these red shirt bashers with the prospect of going back to their home country and living out their days in poverty or borderline poverty?

I'm an American, so I am not anti-American, just usually disagree with it's policies. Thought that was my right. Have a jaded skepticism of democracy anymore, my current inclination is to call it the true opiate of the masses. Not up to me to say whether Thailand has democracy or not, but I also won't be someone ramming it down the country's throat. I don't have faith in it at home how can I commend it here? Nonetheless this isn't really about democracy it is about one individual and their assets. And it is certainly not democratic for a mob to dictate terms.

You don't have to live in the capital to know what's going on, it was on the Thai news,reds giving 2,000 baht per person, this was in Nakhon Panom two days ago, they told the people that if they did not go to Bkk, they must give the cash back hahahahahaha, that'll happen, like hel_l it will.

C'mon Khun Thaksin, go for broke for real and see how it feels to be one of your misled or bribed supporters from the North." FORGIVE THEM FOR THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO " OOOOOOOOOOPS, Dn't know where that came from LOLOLOL :):D :D :D

what happen to the million+people that where meant to turn up(did the Thanksin) bribe funds run out heard about 100000 people at the most turned up.

I heard substantially less...

But 100,000 would not surprise me. Not many more than that, but still that was the number last year when they ran amok here and were the responsible for the only deaths (even Human Rights Watch concedes that).... I hope it fizzles tomorrow when the government rejects their demands. I pray for non-violent actions and that the citizens and residents of Bangkok can get about their lives without harassment. Maybe it will happen.